Joshu
Crew
Topic Author

US Airshow Participation Abroad

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 am

Hey all,

I was wondering why the United States is participating in air shows abroad but cancelling air shows at home? Is it simply a "look what we got" type of deal or is it just cheaper to fly a couple planes in an airshow abroad instead of hosting one? This particular picture of a B-1 at the UAE air show piqued my interest:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Charles Cunliffe - ReaperPhotography

Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

scbriml

RE: US Airshow Participation Abroad

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 am

That's an interesting question - there was certainly full US participation at the show. A large static display plus fly-by by the B-1, a limited display by an F-22 but a full display by the P-8.

I suspect it has more to do with geopolitics than anything else. USAF was sadly absent from this year's RIAT in the UK.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

giblets

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 am

Suspect some of the foreign trips can be used as exercises, for example the B1 in the UAE may have been one of the ones based in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. I know the B2 and B-52's have appeared at the Royal Air Tatoo in the UK, with the B2 flying from the US and returning without stopping, something they would need to do in wartime (such as when they 'visited' Serbia/ Kosovo).
Some of the others are also mainly due to sales opportunities (see middle east/ europe), or simple posturing (with Iran next door), as well as reminding them that their friends carry the 'big stick'.

studedave

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Quoting giblets (Reply 2):
for example the B1 in the UAE may have been one of the ones based in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.

I don't know if I would use the word 'based'. 'Deployed' is more like it.
They come from the States, hang out for a few months to a year, and then go back.

Been there, done that. But I was in the NAVY.

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

STOOBIE

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 pm

It could be a matter of convenience as well. There may or may not be assets in the region or passing through.