Tugger
Topic Author

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/958847818583584768

This rocket was meant to test very high retrothrust landing in water so it didn’t hurt the droneship, but amazingly it has survived. We will try to tow it back to shore.

So even though they weren't planning to recover the booster. The test they did still managed to soft land the booster in the ocean. So they're now looking at towing it back in.

Bloody show offs. I love it. ^_^

The cool thing is that likley means they have video, from the booster for sure but probably also from the observation drone. Hope they release it!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Francoflier

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 am

sharles wrote:
https://perens.com/2018/02/01/spacex-expendible-rocket-fails/

"Today’s Sescom launch by SpaceX failed spectacularly when the expendable first stage failed to be expended, surviving after soft-landing in the ocean."

:rotfl:

They've gotten so good at landing first stages that they can't even crash them in the ocean properly anymore.

Seriously though, it seems they were testing a more 'violent' landing burn, which presumably means they're trying to start the landing burn much closer to the ground and using a much higher deceleration rate... to save fuel?

I thought the landings looked impressive enough already, given they always look like they're about to smash into the ground until the last moment.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Trololzilla

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 am

^ I think I saw that Elon said that they used 3 engines for the landing instead of the normal 1.

JetBuddy

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Trololzilla wrote:
^ I think I saw that Elon said that they used 3 engines for the landing instead of the normal 1.

That's correct. They sometimes use 3 engines, sometimes 1. But this one was supposed to disintegrate when hitting the surface of the ocean.. but nope, it stayed intact so they're going to tow it back to shore. Pretty funny.

parapente

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 am

??
I though the whole point of this soft water landing was to try out (for the first time) whether they could soft land using 3 nainsook rather than one - for the first time.Such a landing would (as I understand it) be a short and brutal soft landing (hence not using a multimillion dollar ship to land on).However if it was possible it would save worthwhile fuel thus giving such 'return' missions a greater range/payload capability.

It does appear it can be one but only Spacex have the data and film of course.

JetBuddy

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:56 am

parapente wrote:
??
I though the whole point of this soft water landing was to try out (for the first time) whether they could soft land using 3 nainsook rather than one - for the first time.Such a landing would (as I understand it) be a short and brutal soft landing (hence not using a multimillion dollar ship to land on).However if it was possible it would save worthwhile fuel thus giving such 'return' missions a greater range/payload capability.

Maybe you're right. Hopefully the video will be released soon.

77west

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 pm

The most fuel-efficient suicide burn is one where the final landing burn happens as quickly and close to the ground as possible. I see this as a natural evolution of the reusability program.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:22 pm

parapente wrote:
??

Landing in the water was never the plan for operational use. The damage the saltwater would cause would basically mean you have to rebuild the engine each time. So no cost saving.

The water landing was to try it out on a life expired booster without putting the droneship in danger of failure. The expectation that even with a successful test the effect of landing in the ocean would break up the booster and sink it. It was not expected to keep floating. Hence some head scratching and realising they'll have to tow it back. That or ask the USCG/USN to play shoot the killer tomato.

And by towing it back they can alway get some extra data, recycle any metals, donate it to a museum that wants it.

parapente

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 pm

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-compet ... -contract/

Interesting piece on future potential military launches for Spacex.
Also a little bit more on the Raptor engine under development.
Imagine this engine powering the second stage of the FH!
Moonbases anyone?!

cumulushumilis

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:27 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
parapente wrote:
??

Landing in the water was never the plan for operational use. The damage the saltwater would cause would basically mean you have to rebuild the engine each time. So no cost saving.

The water landing was to try it out on a life expired booster without putting the droneship in danger of failure. The expectation that even with a successful test the effect of landing in the ocean would break up the booster and sink it. It was not expected to keep floating. Hence some head scratching and realising they'll have to tow it back. That or ask the USCG/USN to play shoot the killer tomato.

And by towing it back they can alway get some extra data, recycle any metals, donate it to a museum that wants it.

Lol.. the engine maybe toast but what about the other innards? Shuttle SRB Segments were recovered analysed, improved upon and recycled if able.. Landing in Salt water is not necessarily a death sentence for space hardware. If that’s the case, the CST-100 and Orion would not be designed for landing in salt water.

The might be the perfect opportunity for SpaceX to improve upon reuseability.

parapente

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 am

If anything the fact that they are towing it in suggests this new landing technique worked.This simply means more payload available on recovered launches.
But re above article and others.Clearly the payload will go up sharply when the Vulcan upper stage is ready.I believe that it's worth noting that the performance of the Falcon was something like 40% less when the Falcon Heavy was first touted.Its getting increasingly difficult to see ( in a commercial sense) what the FH is now needed for.Some very heavy Sat's in GEO I imagine - some big military Sat's no doubt.But very little else for Earth orbit.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

cumulushumilis wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
parapente wrote:
??

Lol.. the engine maybe toast but what about the other innards? Shuttle SRB Segments were recovered analysed, improved upon and recycled if able.. Landing in Salt water is not necessarily a death sentence for space hardware. If that’s the case, the CST-100 and Orion would not be designed for landing in salt water.

The might be the perfect opportunity for SpaceX to improve upon reuseability.

The cost of refurbishing the SRBs never got near to the original expected cost. They basically had to rebuild the segments each time. And an SRB is a lot more simple than a liquid engine.

Could it be done? Sure. Pretty much anything is doable given enough time and money. But would it be reasonable.

As for the capsules. They're a lot more simple on the outside. Basically a sealed cocoon with everything expensive on the inside. And being a lot smaller they're a lot easier to examine. Thus making it cost reasonable to reuse.Even after floating in the ocean for a while.

Francoflier

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm

parapente wrote:
Its getting increasingly difficult to see ( in a commercial sense) what the FH is now needed for.Some very heavy Sat's in GEO I imagine - some big military Sat's no doubt.But very little else for Earth orbit.

Unless they eventually come up with a reusable second stage. The FH can probably loft a generous F9 payload along with a second stage designed to survive re-entry. It's probably too soon to know whether this would actually make economical sense vs. dumping the second stage, and it seems SpaceX has gone silent regarding second stage recovery (apart from the distant BFR).
The question then becomes: Can a hypothetical refurbished second stage + 2 additional refurbished boosters come in cheaper than a standard expended second stage?...
Probably not with current technology, but I hope they're working on it.

This all brings us back to the point of reusability you raised earlier:

parapente wrote:
Reuse.Its a good question.They have remained tight lipped on that.

And I too find the lack of actual clues somewhat frustrating. For all we know, refurbishing an F9 booster could be so time and money consuming that they'd only be doing it to save face or in the hope it will become profitable someday... I doubt that's the case, but if the future of SpaceX and currently the only sensible way of making space more accessible rides on it, it would be great to know how it's going in more details.

It's still work in progress of course, but refurbishing of current boosters is not exactly the once-over and refuel Musk is eventually shooting for.
Block 5 should help, and appears to be designed for a lifetime of 10 missions.

77west wrote:
The most fuel-efficient suicide burn is one where the final landing burn happens as quickly and close to the ground as possible. I see this as a natural evolution of the reusability program.

I've always wondered what sort of acceleration the booster endures during the re-entry and landing burns, and now by how much they're pushing that with that new 'savage mode' landing burn...
Has SpaceX even released that data? I'm guessing any technical info about the booster landing technology and technique will be proprietary.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

parapente

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Since the second stage is 'in orbit' re-entry would be 'the full 9 yards'.It would seem unlikely that a 'simple' second stage without the designed aerodynamics could do this.It would surely burn up -no?
Now if it was designed like a mini BFR second stage then possibly.Perhaps this is what they should do as proof of concept.After all the BFR is said to be for multi reuse.
Ok it was the 1970's but NASA could not achieve it (economically/safely) with the shuttle.But perhaps technology has moved on -I am sure it has,but it's still breaking new ground.

Regarding the first stage F9 -yup 2018 and the 'Block5' is going to make it an important year in that regard.The way Spacex designs and builds rockets means it's always going to be cheaper.But the full business model does require a level of first stage reuse that is in uncharted territory right now.

77west

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm

77west wrote:

I've always wondered what sort of acceleration the booster endures during the re-entry and landing burns, and now by how much they're pushing that with that new 'savage mode' landing burn...
Has SpaceX even released that data? I'm guessing any technical info about the booster landing technology and technique will be proprietary.[/quote]

You could work it out to a reasonably accurate number - the first stage dry mass is around 20,000kg, and then add a few thousand kg of propellant. So say 25,000kg. The booster is still supersonic at around 10,000m altitude. I cant think of the right math but with the mass, velocity and the speed delta between say 1,200km/h down to zero in 10,000m you should be able to work out the G force.

I am picking it pulls a few G's though..

Note: My numbers may be off but the theory remains the same.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

Nomadd

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 pm

QuarkFly wrote:
I was wondering about the Texas launch site that was in the news a few years ago and supposed to be launching commercial satellites by now? SpaceX seemed to have gone quiet about it. But, picked up some recent tidbits...I appreciate what SpaceX does...but let's not forget how much tax-payer funding supports them...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... te-funding

So SpaceX will eventually have at least four launch pads, two in Florida, one in California and at least one in Texas. Does start to look expensive unless they can maintain a launch rate to support all this infrastructure...and will Texas really happen if the taxpayers don't play along? We'll see.

The California site is sort of it's own factor because it only does very high inclination launches. The flights from there are usually not interchangeable with flights from other pads.
Texas has a development trust fund, and SpaceX asked for some of it. They aren't going to make decisions regarding the business based on a $5 million grant. State funding is a minor factor.
The site at Boca Chica in Texas is going slow because the plans keep changing. Also because the pad crew has been kind of busy putting pad 40 back together. Now they want to use Boca Chica for BFR testing and launching instead of Falcons. They're getting ready to put a couple of control center buildings up there, but they might just be office buildings for now. Nobody on the outside knows how much the plans have changed and we're waiting on the amended environmental impact statement to see what they're doing.

Tugger wrote:
Nomadd wrote:
I've seen this thing about Block 3 boosters only being designed to fly twice in a dozen places now, and like most commonly accepted facts, it's completely wrong.

Source?

My thoughts are that they were only designed to refly once (fly twice) because they had to be if SpaceX was going to actually test for booster return and landing and then relaunch of a used booster. In my mind, the best lowest cost path to this would be to design the booster to fly twice and no more (to keep costs down) and then through inspection find out where the wear and tear occurs and use that map for the next block design.

Tugg

You can't really design boosters to only fly twice. The statement came from SpaceX saying that they only intended to use them twice, but that was because they had plenty of used older boosters until Block 5 is running, and they don't need to use them more than twice. They wouldn't get much valuable data from third flights because they've already identified the improvements they need for the final version.

meecrob

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 am

77west wrote:
with the mass, velocity and the speed delta between say 1,200km/h down to zero in 10,000m you should be able to work out the G force.

That would only provide you with the average G in that timeframe. I think everyone wants to know the max G for the final landing burn only. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers either.

77west

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 am

meecrob wrote:
77west wrote:
with the mass, velocity and the speed delta between say 1,200km/h down to zero in 10,000m you should be able to work out the G force.

That would only provide you with the average G in that timeframe. I think everyone wants to know the max G for the final landing burn only. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers either.

Yes you are correct. I was thinking that it would be a linear burn but possibly not.. I suppose if we had the mass and speed at the start of the final landing burn you could figure it out, but even then it could vary. It may even spike well above the blackout G force for a human.

Only SpaceX will know and they are unlikely to release that info...

KarelXWB

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

With the launch of Falcon Heavy scheduled for tomorrow, SpaceX will have an opportunity to test out the new space suit: a dummy driver wearing the suit can be seen in the car.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BezcvpzAgYI/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

parapente

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:10 am

That's somehow ridiculous yet dead cool at the same time!
Nice to see they will get some useful data on the new spacesuit.
As for car acceleration - somewhat better than 'plaid' I warrant!

Francoflier

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ

...Insanely cool.

But will they get telemetry from the suit somehow? Otherwise it won't be much of a test...

SeJoWa

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

The spacesuited manikin in Elon's Roadster is a fantastic touch, but I do hope they remember to deflate those tires before launch into space.

JetBuddy

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
With the launch of Falcon Heavy scheduled for tomorrow, SpaceX will have an opportunity to test out the new space suit: a dummy driver wearing the suit can be seen in the car.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BezcvpzAgYI/

That's just so cool. I can imagine an alien civilization discovering this in solar orbit millions of years from now, and thinking "What in the world happened here?"

KarelXWB

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Francoflier wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ

...Insanely cool.

But will they get telemetry from the suit somehow? Otherwise it won't be much of a test...

Meanwhile in 2371, the crew of the USS Voyager discovered a fully functional car.

flyingturtle

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm

And I LOVE It how the camera for the live feed faces the astronaut.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

HaveBlue

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm

My apologies if this has been covered already but what do you all think are the chances of the launch actually happening tomorrow? I read somewhere (here maybe?) that there is no intention to really launch tomorrow in order to garner more anticipation and buzz, however I find that hard to believe. The reason I'm asking is that I live less than an hour away and want to go in person but traffic is going to be ridiculous (I have gone to several launches before) and if the experts here think the chances are nil I will probably try for the next launch day after tomorrow (assuming that it doesn't go). So, thoughts please? And thank you in advance.

Tugger
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm

HaveBlue wrote:
My apologies if this has been covered already but what do you all think are the chances of the launch actually happening tomorrow? I read somewhere (here maybe?) that there is no intention to really launch tomorrow in order to garner more anticipation and buzz, however I find that hard to believe. The reason I'm asking is that I live less than an hour away and want to go in person but traffic is going to be ridiculous (I have gone to several launches before) and if the experts here think the chances are nil I will probably try for the next launch day after tomorrow (assuming that it doesn't go). So, thoughts please? And thank you in advance.

I have not seen anything definitive but I think the chances are very high it will not launch "on time".

My reasoning is that there are tree times as many things that can cause a delay, three times the sensors, three times the relays, three times the pumps, (you get the picture) and any of those will cause a delay on a normal launch and this is a "first time" so they will be just that much more sensitive.

I am hopeful but trying to be realistic.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Trololzilla

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Launch is going to be lit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk338VX ... e=youtu.be

HaveBlue wrote:

My advice: as of now, the launch is a GO. Weather is ~80% favorable for tomorrow's launch, and ~70% for the backup on Wednesday. I'd wait as long as possible before leaving (keeping traffic in mind), just to make sure there isn't an early scrub. The worst that could happen is that once you get there, the launch is scrubbed for another reason closer to T-0. Otherwise, you'd be viewing history in the making and are in for quite a show whether the launch is successful or not.

parapente

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 pm

For those who will be there - you lucky bastards!

Tugger
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Don't see this posted:

Falcon Heavy Launch : February 6, 2018 1:30 PM EST

Tugg

wingman

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:15 am

If they pull this off launching that car into proper orbit or wherever it's going, the suit works AND the three boosters come back down safely I will probably blow a gasket. The only possible Russkie comeback is Vlado chopping the roof off a Lada Riva and riding that junk into orbit naked on the next Soyuz launch. Only then would he top Elon as the Capo di Tutti Oligarchski.

ThePointblank

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 am

wingman wrote:
If they pull this off launching that car into proper orbit or wherever it's going, the suit works AND the three boosters come back down safely I will probably blow a gasket. The only possible Russkie comeback is Vlado chopping the roof off a Lada Riva and riding that junk into orbit naked on the next Soyuz launch. Only then would he top Elon as the Capo di Tutti Oligarchski.

Elon Musk says his gut is telling him a 60% chance of success, but he only feels it is closer to 50/50.

And he is also speculating on a potential for a future Falcon Super Heavy, which would add 2 more side boosters to the design:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16975 ... -questions

Another thing to note is that SpaceX is no longer planning to send 2 space tourists around the Moon with the Falcon Heavy; they intend to use BFR instead. The reason for this is that they see getting the Falcon Heavy human rated would be a waste of resources when they can be getting BFR human rated instead.

casinterest

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:22 am

ThePointblank wrote:
wingman wrote:

Elon Musk says his gut is telling him a 60% chance of success, but he only feels it is closer to 50/50.

And he is also speculating on a potential for a future Falcon Super Heavy, which would add 2 more side boosters to the design:

Another thing to note is that SpaceX is no longer planning to send 2 space tourists around the Moon with the Falcon Heavy; they intend to use BFR instead. The reason for this is that they see getting the Falcon Heavy human rated would be a waste of resources when they can be getting BFR human rated instead.

I think the odds are higher the 60%, but just in case we get a big Ka-boom. Here is what it is supposed to look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk338VXcb24
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

parapente

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 am

Love his hyperbole with the 'super heavy' covering up that the fact that the FH will now never be man rated.
There are already hardly any uses for the FH ( 50 tons plus in LEO) let alone the FH with Vulcan second stage - let let alone a super heavy!
What could that chuck up in max config? 100 tons on a no return landing basis? Oh and you would need a bigger 'top end' to put whatever it is in it!
---Unless it's a back up plan in case the BFR hits major problems.
Anyway I wish them the best of luck today.

KarelXWB

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 am

Falcon Heavy not going to the moon? What a surprise!

/sarcasm

Of course Falcon Heavy will not send people to the moon. Aside from meeting safety standards for manned flights, we discussed previously that the current second stage is not really suited for the job.

JetBuddy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:20 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
wingman wrote:

Very interesting that the third stage and the car will coast through the Van Allen radiation belt on it's way to Mars. And that they've mounted multiple cameras on the Roadster itself. Looking forward to this launch!

parapente

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 pm

He is certainly an interesting character.I blow hot and cold about him.On one hand what he has achieved is remarkable.But as a CEO he should have a duty of care.Stating that he going to get FH man rated and use it to send private punters - and no doubt 'proper stuff' into space ,then just as quickly junking it with a silly FSHeavy comment (before FH has even flown)makes him look somewhat of an irresponsible clown.
Without FH being human rated it sort of leaves the field totally open to the SLS for anything above LEO .
Ok there is BFR but right now its untested paper and power point slides/animation.Of which we have seen enough imho.

BTW.Is the Vulcan second stage. Engine that is being developed with/for the military the same as the BFR main engine or a smaller variant?

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:18 pm

parapente wrote:
Stating that he going to get FH man rated and use it to send private punters - and no doubt 'proper stuff' into space ,

I still don't quite know what "man-rated" encompasses.

I know that NASA requires their version of "man-rated", with all it's related tests and qualifications to be met, before allowing their astronauts to fly aboard a rocket but does it only apply to NASA and government contracted flights?

Or does it apply to anything that launches from US territory that will carry a human?

Obviously "man-rated" is not a single definition so SpaceX may have some leeway on what they want to do.

Tugg

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Link to watch the launch live in a couple hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

Tugg

United787

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm

How much airspace does the FAA shut down for this flight? Is there a map?

casinterest

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Launch delayed till 2:20 due to Upper level wind sheer
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Tugger wrote:
parapente wrote:
Stating that he going to get FH man rated and use it to send private punters - and no doubt 'proper stuff' into space ,

I know that NASA requires their version of "man-rated", with all it's related tests and qualifications to be met, before allowing their astronauts to fly aboard a rocket but does it only apply to NASA and government contracted flights?

Or does it apply to anything that launches from US territory that will carry a human?

Obviously "man-rated" is not a single definition so SpaceX may have some leeway on what they want to do.

Tugg

A quick search suggests NASA's requirement only applies to NASA astronauts.

Otherwise in the US it probably falls to the FAA. So Virgin Galactic and BlueOrigin are probably not worrying about NASA's requirements.
And it looks like the FAA have a whole office dedicated to commercial space travel topics. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... gulations/

KarelXWB

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Tugger wrote:
parapente wrote:

Tugg

SpaceX would need some sort of FAA certification before sending people into space. Just like Virgin Galactic and other commercial space applications.

KarelXWB

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Meanwhile Falcon Heavy launch has been delayed by 50 minutes due to strong winds in the upper atmosphere.

KarelXWB

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Below is the scheduled flight profile. It shows recovery of 3 boosters and payload fairings, but nothing about second stage recovery.

Seabear

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Delayed again to 2:50pm et...

JetBuddy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm

And delayed to 20:45 UTC..

litz

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm

They're rapidly running out of launch window .... :-(

SeJoWa

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Looks like we're a go for today's launch attempt.

@SpaceX
4 minutes ago
T-60 minutes until Falcon Heavy’s first test flight. Launch webcast will go live about 20 minutes before liftoff → http://spacex.com/webcast