WIederling
Posts: 6866
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:14 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Is this higher aero-magic-dynamics?

No.
What you see is "underexpansion" in the engine.

exhaust gases are expanded to the surrounding air pressure.
With a fixed size nozzle only one pressure height is optimally served.
pressure higher and the exhaust will constrict slightly
pressure (much) lower the exhaust plume blooms out until
the pressure differential is zeroed. ( you do lose the thrust
that could be made available. complexity / weight / efficiency trade off.
)

compare NK-33 and NK-43 the same basic engine
with different optimizations for the pressure environment.
Image
Murphy is an optimist
 
WIederling
Posts: 6866
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

zanl188 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
what are the yellow ears sticking out of the payload fairing?

Not part of FH, attached to the erector.

Thanks.. funny answers from the future.
Last edited by WIederling on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy is an optimist
 
zanl188
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm

WIederling wrote:
what are the yellow ears sticking out of the payload fairing?


Not part of FH, attached to the erector.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
WIederling
Posts: 6866
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Most expensive fireworks ever? or only Top-5? 50-50?


The N-1 explosions ( inflation adjusted.:-)
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Most expensive fireworks ever? or only Top-5? 50-50?
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm

WIederling wrote:
exhaust gases are expanded to the surrounding air pressure.
With a fixed size nozzle only one pressure height is optimally served.
pressure higher and the exhaust will constrict slightly
pressure (much) lower the exhaust plume blooms out until
the pressure differential is zeroed. ( you do lose the thrust
that could be made available. complexity / weight / efficiency trade off.
)


Thank you! Because I was very strict on understanding new concepts as well as aerospace safety, no rocket exploded in 2018!

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm

WIederling wrote:
what are the yellow ears sticking out of the payload fairing?


Those are the clamping arms of the strongback. Not part of the launcher itself.

During the countdown you can often see them open a couple minutes before liftoff. Otherwise they're wrapped around the fairing to secure it a bit more.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:45 pm

I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Tugger wrote:


This fills me with joy and excitement.

Finally, we'll be able to launch a spacecraft into a suitable orbit to photograph the bottom side of our flat earth!


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
WIederling
Posts: 6866
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Finally, we'll be able to launch a spacecraft into a suitable orbit to photograph the bottom side of our flat earth!


Pfft.
You could always do that with a camera on a stick.
( beware turtles bite :-)

apropos selfie sticks: friend of mine told me that japanese railway stations have explicit signs
warning about extending selfie sticks towards the catenary. :-)
Murphy is an optimist
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

Re reading some of Elon's Autumn statements and the BFR programme.
I understand his mission(s) to Mars and the need for some sort of space depot for refusing and other requirements.This (as I understand it) would either be in Earth orbit or (more likely?) be in Lunar orbit if I understand it.
However...
The new bit was a Lunar base.He names it after the old UK Scifi series 'Moon base Alpha'.OK fun and all that.
Now I get the business motivation.President Trump just changed (again) NASA's human exploration back to the Moon (...then Mars).So that's the third flip flop in a row of Presidents!But they control billions dollars and he needs it.

What I couldn't get and this is my question to someone who may know.

Is there any practical reason for Spacex to have a Moon base for their stated objective for going to form a base on Mars?
I can't see one but may have missed something.

Or is he simply going to 'help' Trump get to his stated objective and pick up the $$$$$$ on the way?
From what I read NASA was totally blindsided with this new Moon mission and have no equipment planned to achieve it -whereas Musk clearly does!(even if it was/is designed for a Mars mission really.It puts him very much in the driving seat I feel even though it appears to have no practical purpose.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Interesting tid bit on SpaceX's development of "auto-destruct":
https://qz.com/1170674/spacexs-latest-a ... matically/
SpaceX, however, pursuing cheaper and more efficient launches, worked with the Air Force to turn over that duty to a GPS-equipped on-board computer, an “Automatic Flight Safety System” that debuted in 2017. Now, if the company’s Falcon 9 rocket goes outside prescribed bounds when launched from Cape Canaveral, it can activate its own self-destruct sequence.

No other US rocket has this capability yet, and it could open up new advantages for SpaceX: The US Air Force is considering launches to polar orbits from Cape Canaveral, but the flight path is only viable if the rockets don’t need to be tracked for range-safety reasons. That means SpaceX is the only company that could take advantage of the new corridor to space.


Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 25675
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Polar Orbit launches currently originate at Vandenburg due to the issues of Range Safety from Cape Canaveral due to the population density on the East Coast requiring inefficient maneuvering which eats into usable payload.

I am assuming that this auto-destruct would allow the rocket to fly closer to population centers and therefore reduce the necessary propellant weight and increase the usable payload weight?
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Tugger wrote:
Interesting tid bit on SpaceX's development of "auto-destruct":
https://qz.com/1170674/spacexs-latest-a ... matically/
SpaceX, however, pursuing cheaper and more efficient launches, worked with the Air Force to turn over that duty to a GPS-equipped on-board computer, an “Automatic Flight Safety System” that debuted in 2017. Now, if the company’s Falcon 9 rocket goes outside prescribed bounds when launched from Cape Canaveral, it can activate its own self-destruct sequence.

No other US rocket has this capability yet, and it could open up new advantages for SpaceX: The US Air Force is considering launches to polar orbits from Cape Canaveral, but the flight path is only viable if the rockets don’t need to be tracked for range-safety reasons. That means SpaceX is the only company that could take advantage of the new corridor to space.


Tugg


I need to search for another article from early last year that covered this. That one said the internal self destruct was mandatory for booster return on FH. Without booster return, only one object has to be tracked. From launch until booster separation, only one object has to be tracked, and a destruction command will cause systems on all boosters to activate. After separation, the boosters fall on a ballistic path to the cleared splashdown area so a destruction tracking system isn't needed. With FH, the boosters will have powered flight back to the launch area, requiring 3 separate tracking systems and 3 range safety officers. The USAF indicated that they may not be able to do this, and if they did SpaceX would have to pay for the 2 additional systems. Having the system onboard eliminates this.

I would expect the savings at the Texas spaceport to be huge too: if only SpaceX is going to use the spaceport, they won't have to put in range safety tracking.
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Stitch wrote:
Polar Orbit launches currently originate at Vandenburg due to the issues of Range Safety from Cape Canaveral due to the population density on the East Coast requiring inefficient maneuvering which eats into usable payload.

I am assuming that this auto-destruct would allow the rocket to fly closer to population centers and therefore reduce the necessary propellant weight and increase the usable payload weight?


From what I understand, the issue is a lack of radar coverage. Going south from Florida means the Caribbean and South America must be protected, but radar coverage the whole way would mean a massive system. I doubt a northward launch would be permitted.

Going polar from Vandenberg puts the rocket over water right away and there is nothing but ocean until the rocket goes over Antarctica, hence coverage only needs to be local.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 25675
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

MatthewDB wrote:
From what I understand, the issue is a lack of radar coverage. Going south from Florida means the Caribbean and South America must be protected, but radar coverage the whole way would mean a massive system. I doubt a northward launch would be permitted.

Going polar from Vandenberg puts the rocket over water right away and there is nothing but ocean until the rocket goes over Antarctica, hence coverage only needs to be local.


That makes sense - looking at the launch charts for Vandenberg, they are all southerly between 201° and 158° azimuth so I would expect Canaveral launches would be southernly, as well.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 am

Falcon Heavy static fire is scheduled for next week.

See https://www.instagram.com/p/BdjBHqdAIzs/

Launch tentatively scheduled for the end of January.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:26 am

FYI just to show how small Falcon Heavy is compared to Saturn V / BFR:

Image
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
maxter
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 2:23 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
FYI just to show how small Falcon Heavy is compared to Saturn V / BFR:

Image


And given that it will have the heaviest lift capacity currently if/when she flies shows just how far backwards everyone else has gone.
If she flies, SpaceX will be the most advanced Aerospace company in terms of lift capacity on the planet.
maxter
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:10 pm

.... or just how gargantuan the BFR is!But thx Karel it's a great comparison.

I was rewatching Elon's presentation the other day.I have another question.
He shows his aspiration of the first 2 Mars landing in 2022/4.Uncrewed.Thats fine.
But he goes on to say that for a BFR ship landing on Mars It would need to manufacture fuel to leave again.....
This would suggest that these two behamouth's are just -stuck there!Futhermore so would the next -and the next until they have found a way to manufacture and contain fuel on Mars.
This simply cannot be correct.Its a chicken and egg argument.
I can only imagine that a 'Tanker' BFR goes out to Mars with them and refuels prior to landing and perhaps again after t/o in Mars orbit.But he did not mention this.

Conversely he went out of his way to say that (after refuelling) a BFR could land ,take off and return to Earth from a Moon landing.
Thinking about this (too much time on my hands!) since we know a Moon base (Alpha) has absolutely nothing to do with his Mars ambition I conclude a very different motive...indeed.A fully political/money motive.

We know that this is what P Trump wants -The Moon base- and for all we know he may get 2 terms.
I believe it was a totally blatant move to get the SLS scrapped nothing less.
He has already (his words) started building the BFR.He wants to start using it in 4 years.
He won't start using it to Mars (gotta check it out first and iron out any faults etc).
So 1. LEO and return then 2.The Moon.
NASA has got nothing to land on the Moon at all not even plans and no money to do it with.Will take them decades.
He is blatantly offering Trump a quick way to do it.Add a bit of bigelow 330 or bigger which the BFR can easily handle and voila it's done.

I really think this might be check mate.
I love and respect NASA I really do.But their rocket building days may be numbered and perhaps they should be.Their expertise lies elsewhere.
Private enterprise can build the lifting (and now landingRockets),NASA can do almost anything/everything else.

And that's where the government money comes in soooo handy -clever boy.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

maxter wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
FYI just to show how small Falcon Heavy is compared to Saturn V / BFR:


And given that it will have the heaviest lift capacity currently if/when she flies shows just how far backwards everyone else has gone.

The kings is dead, long live the king! The F1 was an awesome beast, for anyone interested this is my favorite video with the F1 (off topic I know): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtVpvzUF1Y

I haven't been able to find any equivalent of the Falcon 9 Merlin at launch.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm

parapente wrote:
Thinking about this (too much time on my hands!) since we know a Moon base (Alpha) has absolutely nothing to do with his Mars ambition I conclude a very different motive...indeed.A fully political/money motive.

We know that this is what P Trump wants -The Moon base- and for all we know he may get 2 terms.
I believe it was a totally blatant move to get the SLS scrapped nothing less.


That goal (killing SLS) is part of why I'm rooting for SpaceX. From the moment NASA announced the shuttle would have SRBs and all of the consequent abort sequences I wasn't a shuttle fan. We shouldn't put humans on top of a solid fuel rocket. Further, hydrogen at the first stage is a bad choice. The segmented boosters didn't save money, it would have been cheaper to just use a throwaway casing. In the end, those SRBs killed one crew, and it wasn't the way people expected, it was due to the failed attempt at re-use due to the segments.

The shuttle also used hydrogen fuel from the ground - a bad call, hydrogen sucks at the first stage. It meant much larger, more expensive engines from the ground.

What is SLS? Re-use all of the bad parts from the shuttle, just getting rid of the glided re-entry. The SRB still can fail from segment seal failures, it still has complex aborts, and they're planning on using hydrogen from the ground.

All are bad calls.

Plus, just as SpaceX is perfecting re-use and Blue Origin is getting close, they are dumping re-use. It's like they keep doing the wrong thing for the time.

parapente wrote:
I love and respect NASA I really do.But their rocket building days may be numbered and perhaps they should be.Their expertise lies elsewhere.
Private enterprise can build the lifting (and now landingRockets),NASA can do almost anything/everything else.

And that's where the government money comes in soooo handy -clever boy.


I don't understand how NASA went from such an incredible success with Apollo to not having the right stuff anymore. They're caught up in minutia and paperwork but not making the big picture calls with wisdom. Here we have Falcon9 being criticized by NASA earlier this year, yet Flacon9 has a better track record of success over anything NASA has done since the 1960's.
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Tugger wrote:
maxter wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
FYI just to show how small Falcon Heavy is compared to Saturn V / BFR:


And given that it will have the heaviest lift capacity currently if/when she flies shows just how far backwards everyone else has gone.

The kings is dead, long live the king! The F1 was an awesome beast, for anyone interested this is my favorite video with the F1 (off topic I know): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtVpvzUF1Y

I haven't been able to find any equivalent of the Falcon 9 Merlin at launch.

Tugg


Sort of off topic but I certainly enjoyed watching the video, thank you for the link.

I'm unaware of any videos like that, much less one well narrated like that one. That does segway into multiple questions I have about Merlin 1D that I haven't found details about. I understand being private company with self funded development gives SpaceX full control over what they release to the public and what they don't. Given the impressive stats on Merlin 1D, I understand SpaceX having a bunch of trade secrets they want to protect. (Consider that the Soviets / Russians have been the hands down leaders on kero/oxygen rockets for a long time with oxygen rich stages combustion... and now Merlin 1D almost matches the specific impulse with far better thrust to weight and much better cost.)

From what I have gathered, ground ignition is using TEA/TEB from the ground for first stage, and on re-use missions they have multiple TEA/TEB cartridges for air re-starts. My list of questions includes:

Some engines use LOX tank pressure to spin the turbine via the pump (F1 for example), fuel tank pressure to spin the pump (SSME), high pressure helium (J2) or just light the fuel in the gas generator and let it build slowly (Soviet stage combustion family). Any idea what Merlin 1D does? Some engines build turbine speed with the fuel shutoff to the combustion chamber, recirculating a minimum flow to the tank to prevent cavitation, and others ignite as the turbine speeds up. The former saves on fuel as the engine thrust increase and fuel burn prior to launch is lower. Again... anyone know what Merlin does?

For the second stage, there are many missions where the second stage coasts from minutes to hours. In that case, a full restart makes sense. But for the first stage recovery, I wonder if there is an "idle mode" for the turbopump. If the gas generator remained lit with low flow, the turbine could be left spinning at an idle RPM that would permit much faster power recovery. Given the entire flight time of the first stage is under 5 minutes, I would think it would make sense that for the boost-back engines and the landing engine, there isn't enough time for multiple re-starts of the turbopump.
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 am

The Merlin 1D uses Helium to spin up the turbine. It only takes about a second, so idling the pump really wouldn't help much. . There's no re-circulation before ignition.
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you Nomadd.
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Everyone ready for the Zuma mission tonight? Live webcast here, launch window begins at 8PM EST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PWu3BRxn60
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 am

Congratulations SpaceX and Northrop Grumman for a successful launch and landing! No video of the payload or fairing deploy this time, I guess the payload was secret. But still fun to watch!
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:24 am

Again, very impressive how it is now becoming so normal. Always a risk, and the spectacular/disastrous consequences makes an error something to see, but its both exciting and normal now.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 7032
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 am

Tugger wrote:
Again, very impressive how it is now becoming so normal. Always a risk, and the spectacular/disastrous consequences makes an error something to see, but its both exciting and normal now.

Tugg


Can't wait to see the FH attempts. It will be new. Especially as they start trying to land multiple stages at once.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 pm

FH on the move again for fwr and static fire.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 am

Houston, we have a problem.....
The mission -- referred to by the code name Zuma -- took off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Sunday on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. But the Strategic Command, which monitors more than 23,000 man-made objects in space, said it is not tracking any new satellites since the launch.

“We have nothing to add to the satellite catalog at this time,” Navy Captain Brook DeWalt, a spokesman for the command, said in an email when asked if the new satellite was in orbit.

A U.S. official and two congressional aides, all familiar with the launch, said on condition of anonymity that the second-stage of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 booster rocket failed. The satellite was lost, one of the congressional aides said, and the other said both the satellite and the second-stage satellite fell into the ocean after the failure.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... tagon-says

I suspect this will delay the FH launch.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 7032
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 am

Tugger wrote:
Houston, we have a problem.....
The mission -- referred to by the code name Zuma -- took off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Sunday on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. But the Strategic Command, which monitors more than 23,000 man-made objects in space, said it is not tracking any new satellites since the launch.

“We have nothing to add to the satellite catalog at this time,” Navy Captain Brook DeWalt, a spokesman for the command, said in an email when asked if the new satellite was in orbit.

A U.S. official and two congressional aides, all familiar with the launch, said on condition of anonymity that the second-stage of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 booster rocket failed. The satellite was lost, one of the congressional aides said, and the other said both the satellite and the second-stage satellite fell into the ocean after the failure.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... tagon-says

I suspect this will delay the FH launch.

Tugg


It just isn't making sense to me, why would Elon have been sending out tweets today about the launch ? I think whatever happened, is beyond anyone's ability to discover, and i think everyone is conjecturing about the true nature of the ZUMA payload and what it really was.
I guess we will wait to hear more concrete details. With a communications blackout and the secrecy, I have doubts of what we know about what we don't know.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 am

What we know:
1) Congress sources say stage 2 & payload crashed
2) SpaceX says Falcon 9 performed nominally

=> if both is true, the only explanation is that the payload malfunctioned and sent stage 2 down into the ocean. Frankly, if it really was just some classified com sat I can't really see how this could have happened. Stage 2 malfunctioning is just so much more likely. I guess we will have to wait 30 years to find out.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 4819
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 am

“We have nothing to add to the satellite catalog at this time,” Navy Captain Brook DeWalt, a spokesman for the command, sai


Oh look, a military body, says they have nothing to add to the catalog, right after he launch of a satellite we know nothing about, operated by a government agency that hasn't been named...

The satellites up there, that much is obvious. It's just not being talked about. By design.

And some "insiders" are wanting to ingratiate themselves to their media contacts with insider information that both cannot be disproven and also plays to the secrecy thing.

Now there is an agency out there who can merrily get on with operating the satellite without oversight - as it doesn't exist any more...
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 am

aviationaware wrote:
What we know:
1) Congress sources say stage 2 & payload crashed
2) SpaceX says Falcon 9 performed nominally

=> if both is true, the only explanation is that the payload malfunctioned and sent stage 2 down into the ocean. Frankly, if it really was just some classified com sat I can't really see how this could have happened. Stage 2 malfunctioning is just so much more likely. I guess we will have to wait 30 years to find out.

Per the Verge, they are offering the following scenario that would satisfy the information supplied:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16866 ... n-9-rocket

Since Northrop Grumman, not SpaceX provided its own payload adapter to attach Zuma to the second stage, it could be that the payload adapter failed, which means SpaceX is technically correct in saying that the Falcon 9 did perform nominally. It was a customer-supplied hardware that caused the failure as the payload adapter may have failed to release Zuma from the second stage.
 
B2707SST
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:25 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 am

(Posted just after the above, sorry for duplicate information!)

The Wall Street Journal story says the payload was lost after it "didn’t separate as planned from the upper part of the rocket."

According to Wired, Northrup Grumman provided the payload adapter as well as the satellite. If that's where the failure occurred, it squares the seemingly contradictory statements from Congressional leakers that Zuma never reached orbit and from SpaceX that the Falcon 9 performed nominally. Also hard to believe SpaceX would roll Falcon Heavy back to Pad 39A to prep for static fire just 12 hours after losing an upper stage.

Will be very interesting to see how much we ever learn about what happened, assuming the satellite is actually lost...
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:45 am

If they're certain the issue was in the payload adapter which they didn't build or provide then I think it's perfectly reasonable to roll out Falcon Heavy to prep for its launch.

I'm sure the government department who's payload it was is going to investigate this whole thing with a fine tooth comb. But it does look like SpaceX met their part of the contract 100% right now. New information can change that of course. ;)
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

From the photographs of the launch you can clearly see the second stage firing and streaking off.Also one report mentioned the fact that the controllers applauded (but it was not commented on) of the faring separation.
So yes it does sound like Spacex did their bit.Of course with a secret payload anything after that everything is pure conjecture.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 7032
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm

parapente wrote:
From the photographs of the launch you can clearly see the second stage firing and streaking off.Also one report mentioned the fact that the controllers applauded (but it was not commented on) of the faring separation.
So yes it does sound like Spacex did their bit.Of course with a secret payload anything after that everything is pure conjecture.


Found this old (2001) article on the web.

Is it redirection, crash, or just spy normal?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077830/ns/te ... lTH2K6nGUl
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Falcon 9 did its job successfully:

Image

Image
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Topic Author
Posts: 8388
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:45 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Falcon 9 did its job successfully:
Image

Well that's great to hear!
Of course what we won't hear about is the recovery effort that is likely already ongoing to retrieve the satellite and its failed payload adapter fro where it fell to the sea.

Looking forward to the FH test firing. :candle:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Well that really sucks. Good thing is that F9 did exactly what it was designed for. The problem was Northrop Grumman's own payload adapter. I'm pretty sure they're a bit worried over at Northrop Grumman right now. They're building the James Webb telescope which will be launched on the Ariane 5 early 2019. Losing that one would be a major disaster.
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm

I suppose there will be some amateur tracker somewhere that I'll have monitored the Falcon stage 2 coming down.If they did it would have been in two distinct parts if a huge satellite had been attached to it.Not heard nuffink about the stage 2.
My bet is the satellite is up there somewhere.But we will never know.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:35 pm

We may get to see some firework tonight. This was posted on Twitter yesterday:

Falcon Heavy to static fire tomorrow between 1p-7p EST.


https://twitter.com/ChrisG_NSF/status/9 ... 5691888640
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Now delayed until tomorrow.

Looks like #FalconHeavy test fire rescheduled for Thursday. SpaceX still has the same window to briefly fire 27 Merlin engines: 1300 to 1900 ET.


https://twitter.com/EmreKelly/status/951058559646814208
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Will be interesting to find out what really happened here. But perhaps we never will. Apparantly there is a lot of video footage of fairing deploy, stage seperation and more, but it will never be released to the public.

No new info from SpaceX or Elon Musk lately on this. And Northrop Grumman has remained silent.
 
DigitalSea
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Will be interesting to find out what really happened here. But perhaps we never will. Apparantly there is a lot of video footage of fairing deploy, stage seperation and more, but it will never be released to the public.

No new info from SpaceX or Elon Musk lately on this. And Northrop Grumman has remained silent.


Sometimes, things are best left secret :)
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 pm

DigitalSea wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
No new info from SpaceX or Elon Musk lately on this. And Northrop Grumman has remained silent.


Sometimes, things are best left secret :)


I'd remain silent too if I wasted taxpayer money to launch a Ford Pinto into LEO.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
parapente
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am

Ah well.Back to main event the FH.
Static burn v soon followed by launch later this month.
Will have all my fingers and toes crossed for Spacex.
In an odd way this ugly duckling of his Space dreams could turn out to be pivotal imho.
I personally don't buy into his BFR launch maths or even that his customers will want it.Its an interplanetary veichle and no amount of PR slides will convince me otherwise.
So to pay for the BFR the SLS must die ( which it should anyway).
The new (and only frankly) objective for the SLS is a Moon base (D Trump).2019/20 the rocket will exist-but no means of actually doing a Moon base.
The BFR won't exist for another 4 years (at best).But will be able to create a Moon base (easily) when it's ready.
What Elon has to do with the FH is to show the World that Spacex can do 'Moon Stuff'.
He already knows this of course hence the '1lap round the Moon and back' stunt.
But he need to land something there - and if possible get back to Earth.
If he achieves that the SLS will be dead meat.No Congressional politician will be able to continue to lobby for further state SLS funding.
That money (billions) will then be re directed to the BFR in partnership with NASA.
2024 is far far too soon for Mars....But the Moon? It may just be possible.
People want to see things (ie in their life time).Trump is not young or that Bigelow fellow.They will want to make it happen asap.
Only Spacex can.
BTW has anyone got a view on Bezos' plans?New Glen is bigger than you want for commercial launches but too small for Mars - or the Moon really.He must have a commercial objective.I can only think of a space hotel in Earth orbit.
 
zanl188
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am

Building BFR in Louisiana and/or Utah. That would do in SLS nicely. I don’t think Musk will do it though.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos