rajagopalen
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:52 pm

New Air India One - B777-300

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Possible questions :)
1. Is it a right choice?
Bit dated . I would have preferred 747-8i and 787-9 for long haul and A320neo for short haul, since it will be used by the PM and President.
2. Delivery time?
No idea :) Indian bureaucracy is unpredictable and cumbersome.
3. Crew?
From the airforce i believe
4.Livery?
A special livery would be awesome for us A.Netters :lol:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/trav ... 96138.html
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3373
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:08 pm

From the link -


- Can store food for 2,000 people
- Air-air refuelling facilities in case of emergency

Interesting...
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 25578
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:29 pm

I thought the original plan was to transfer two existing Air India 777-300ERs to the Indian Government. Are they now going to order new frames direct from Boeing?
 
User avatar
Vasu
Posts: 3058
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:34 am

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Why would you need food for 2000 people? Are they planning to use it as some sort of disaster relief aircraft?
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3032
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 pm

A B77W limits the airports you can go into. A BBJ is the best option for a still developing country. How many people are in that entourage and how many times do they need a large cargo load or disaster relief? It does make sense if you believe the rumors from past big ticket deals around the developing world that the most connected people making these decisions all get a kick back percentage so the higher the price of the item the better.
 
angad84
Posts: 1982
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Vasu wrote:
Why would you need food for 2000 people? Are they planning to use it as some sort of disaster relief aircraft?

I wouldn't take the article too seriously. Doesn't look like the guy writing it has any idea what he's talking about. The 777 has no air-to-air refueling provision, for instance.

A switch from Air India 744s has been on the cards for a long time, but it's still very early days in the process.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 25578
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:36 pm

angad84 wrote:
Vasu wrote:
Why would you need food for 2000 people? Are they planning to use it as some sort of disaster relief aircraft?

I wouldn't take the article too seriously. Doesn't look like the guy writing it has any idea what he's talking about. The 777 has no air-to-air refueling provision, for instance.


That could be engineered, however, as it was for the 747, if the Indian Government is willing to pay for the effort.
 
angad84
Posts: 1982
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Stitch wrote:
angad84 wrote:
Vasu wrote:
Why would you need food for 2000 people? Are they planning to use it as some sort of disaster relief aircraft?

I wouldn't take the article too seriously. Doesn't look like the guy writing it has any idea what he's talking about. The 777 has no air-to-air refueling provision, for instance.


That could be engineered, however, as it was for the 747, if the Indian Government is willing to pay for the effort.

Sure, but it will drive costs WAY up for a tiny fleet. Plus, UARSSI won't work because we don't have boom tankers (and don't plan on buying them).

If it ever happens, it'll probably be a simple transfer of AI 777 aircraft to Boeing for comms and defensive suite mods, and will fly in IAF colours with IAF crew.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 6064
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Air India so far took $580 Million loans for this two VVIP 77Ws.

$400 Million for Boeing delivery payments (other AI 77Ws were $135 M)
$180 Million for interiors.

That puts each frame at $290M.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 6064
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 pm

First delivery will be on January 24, 2018. It will be ferried to India for registration and bring back here for $90M interior refit, supposed to take six months.

Is it really necessary to ferry it to India for paperwork and bring them right back?
 
User avatar
SamYeager2016
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: New Air India One - B777-300

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Is it really necessary to ferry it to India for paperwork and bring them right back?


Wash your mouth out! Bureaucracy requires certain processes to take place in the defined order with efficiency and economy of resources having nothing to do with it! :lol:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos