Channex757
Topic Author

Swarming UAV footage released

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 am

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... vs-432993/

I'm posting the link to the video and page at Flight Global without any detailed comment as it's pretty mind-blowing. A huge number of micro-UAVs flying as a swarm, connected by distributed AI to accomplish various missions.

Amazing technology and well worth watching.

Ozair

Re: Swarming UAV footage released

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Channex757 wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/secretive-dod-office-reveals-swarming-perdix-uavs-432993/

I'm posting the link to the video and page at Flight Global without any detailed comment as it's pretty mind-blowing. A huge number of micro-UAVs flying as a swarm, connected by distributed AI to accomplish various missions.

Amazing technology and well worth watching.

Really interesting, thanks for posting.

cumulushumilis

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Wow ..Little bugs launched from a big bug.. The implication of this technology on modern warfare is significant and somewhat scary!!

Francoflier

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 am

It' a bit like a sci-fi version oh Hitchcock's 'The Birds'...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Woodreau

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 am

I remember seeing something like this from Six years ago from the GRASP lab of the university of Pennsylvania. The videos are up on YouTube under theDmel channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6gTNEiFyqlUwzoaH9L-ivg

But basically the drones are operating autonomously and communicating with each other to accomplish a task. And it is neat to see the progression over the last six years.

When I saw them six years ago, I was thinking this is great means to get remote sensors out in the field - i.e. Counternarcotics, battle space monitoring, etc. scale it larger, are we could have swarms of drones doing vertical replenishment transferring pallets of cargo between the supply ship and other task force ships which is currently done my MH-60 helicopters.

From another article, it mentions the Perdix drones can be assembled in the field from 3D printed parts. So now you're not worried about losing them, you just manufacture more of them. The limiting factor is how fast can you 3D print them?
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Francoflier

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:16 am

Woodreau wrote:
The limiting factor is how fast can you 3D print them?

How are these things powered? You can't 3D print batteries, or electric motors, and small thermal engines might be within reach of the metal 3D printing technology but that would be awfully tricky to achieve on the field.

Are they using some sort of simple gas turbine? Maybe powered by compressed air? That would be achievable using even plastic printed parts.

But then it still needs electronics and servos. There's no way to 3D print that... yet.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

mxaxai

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:39 am

Francoflier wrote:
Woodreau wrote:
The limiting factor is how fast can you 3D print them?

How are these things powered? You can't 3D print batteries, or electric motors, and small thermal engines might be within reach of the metal 3D printing technology but that would be awfully tricky to achieve on the field.

Are they using some sort of simple gas turbine? Maybe powered by compressed air? That would be achievable using even plastic printed parts.

But then it still needs electronics and servos. There's no way to 3D print that... yet.

You can print circuit boards but not the electronic parts on them. Considering the amount of electric motors and batteries manufactured today replacing these should not be a problem either, although you would want to keep your losses to a minimum. The most time critical part are IMO the sensors, which are probably not off-the-shelf parts.

GST

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm

I guess the point is that you can have a couple of crates of electronic components and a crate of each of the 3d print build mediums with a few printers and have all you need to quickly make 100s of these things in the field in a much more logistically convenient way than shipping 100s of the drones pre-assembled. I guess extrapolating from that you could have the materials ready to build the units in whatever precise configuration most applicable to an arising mission requirement.