ordell
Topic Author

Boeing to introduce a radical new plane design

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... power.html

Boeing's defence arm is set to unveil a mysterious new plane - and says it will 'change future air power'

The aerospace giant's defence arm teased the new craft, covered in a black cloth.

It is believed to be a radical new craft using electric 'hairdryer' to allow it to land and take off vertically.

Boeing will unveil their mystery aircraft on December 19th.

Speculation has so far said it could anything from a new spaceplane to an electric fighter jet.

Earlier this year Boeing bought Aurora Flight Sciences Corp, which is developing the autonomous, electric-powered and long-flight-duration aircraft for its commercial and military businesses.

Last year, Aurora won a contract for more than $89 million for the vertical take off and landing X-plane, beating Boeing in the process.

Slug71

Re: Boeing to introduce a radical new plane design

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:44 am

Makes me think of this,

https://youtu.be/wg8ZbiC9IBw

Things could get real interesting. Especially with Formula-E and F1 driving this technology now.
Everything from cell phone batteries to batteries of commercial aircraft, should all dramatically improve in the near future. Just have to wait for redundancy to catch up.

Slcpilot

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 am

My guess?

How about a small transport for special forces derived from a Bird of Prey shape?

It’s fun with a teaser like this and no further data, knowing that the answer will be revealed shortly.

Cheers!

Ps. If it is electric, I’d expect it to have a hybrid power system, with a small turbine for charging batteries, range, and extra power when needed.
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

Channex757

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 am

Slcpilot wrote:
My guess?

How about a small transport for special forces derived from a Bird of Prey shape?

It’s fun with a teaser like this and no further data, knowing that the answer will be revealed shortly.

Cheers!

Ps. If it is electric, I’d expect it to have a hybrid power system, with a small turbine for charging batteries, range, and extra power when needed.

Looks to me like there is an intake just aft of the Boeing logo for just that

WIederling

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:38 pm

ordell wrote:
It is believed to be a radical new craft using electric 'hairdryer' to allow it to land and take off vertically.

Been there, done that:
https://lilium.com/

:-)
Murphy is an optimist

petertenthije

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

The new plane refers to the MQ-25 program for a unmanned aerial refueler.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2017-12-19- ... ompetition

Attamottamotta!

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 am

It looks awesome. :D Now imagine a fleet of drones like that, powered by a central AI, hunting targets on their own. (I know this one is a tanker)

CX747

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Rather not, the disaster that was the UCAV was thankfully done away with. Let's focus on the F-35, getting Super Hornets in the air again and proper strength carrier fleet.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

itchief

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
It looks awesome. :D Now imagine a fleet of drones like that, powered by a central AI, hunting targets on their own. (I know this one is a tanker)

I agree that is looks awesome but let's get the tanker in operation before trying for the sci-fi stuff. To me the landing gear looks a lot like and F-18's gear.

CX747

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:11 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

Wanted to come back and touch on this again as my first post was rather kurt.

The USN has plenty of issues right now. Not enough flat tops to meet Congressional mandates, 30% Super Hornet fleet availability and an overall shortage of fighters. The first step towards recovery has been taken by buying an additional 80 Super Hornets with the latest upgrades. Converting the rest of the E/F fleet should be a priority.

In addition, there are not enough Air Wings or squadrons within the Air Wings. We can discuss what Laser guided and GPS guided bombs bring to the table but more assets are necessary to dispense this weaponry or burn out occurs. Look at an Air Wing of the early 1990s. (2) F-14 Tomcat squadrons, (2) F/A-18 squadrons AND an A-6E squadron. That's in addition to an EA-6B squadron, a S-3 squadron, an E2-C squadron and possibly two helo squadrons. Those types of numbers are necessary on our carrier decks to efficiently take the fight to the enemy without burning through men AND machines.

Right now there are (4) VFA squadrons per Air Wing. I would suggest an increase to (5) per Wing. I personally think that increase should be in F/A-18F squadrons but any type would do. A breadth of (2) F/A-18F squadrons, (2) F/A-18E squadrons and (2) F-35C squadrons really gives you a wide array of capabilities, airframes and manpower to send forward.

Let's get the Rhino fleet back up and running in appropriate numbers, have the F-35C show up for the party and build out the right number of flat tops and Air Wings before we dump money into a shiny brand new TANKER!!!! ALL of this less than decade after the last Hoover went off to retirement.

How much would it cost to have LM take every S-3 out of AMARG, put in current avionics and make it a tanker???????? Pennies on the dollar. Take the plane, gut the cockpit, put on (2-4) plug and play COTS instrument panels and fire it up. The USN wants an "unmanned" anything at any costs. To hell with using the $$$ wisely. Anyone else notice the USAF bailed on the UCAV a long time ago????? They are replacing their bomber and tanker fleet appropriately. USN take a hint!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower