wardialer
Topic Author

US Air Force Weather Information?

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am

Is there any place on the web that I can lookup accurate weather information that is preferably used by the US Air Force?
I looked at NOAA and Weather.gov sites, but I seem to think that those sites are a bit less accurate than what the US Air Force would have out there.

NBGSkyGod

Re: US Air Force Weather Information?

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Military air bases have weather observers stationed there to provide accurate weather forecasts and observations. That is why they appear more accurate. Also larger civilian airports have weather observers in the towers for the same reason.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

wardialer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Which website do you think will be the closest to the explanation that you mentioned?
Would NOAA or Weather.com or Weather.gov be my best option?

mmo

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Try here.....http://www.aviationweather.gov/metar?gis=off

It is run by NOAA but has the military METARS/TAFS available as well great coverage worldwide.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

wardialer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks! a lot.
But I cannot locate the Military section.
Can you please explain where?

nugas

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 am

Thanks for giving me a reason to register after lurking on the forums for a long time. I did weather in the Navy for around 6 years as an observer and forecaster so there's finally a question I can provide some actual insight into.

mmo is right that the ADDS site has TAF/METAR data for military airfields. There isn't a special military only section but you can find it by entering the ICAO code of the field you want. For example, I was an observer at Guantanamo Bay for awhile and you can see TAFs and METARs by entering its code - MUGM.

If you're asking whether there are special weather sources for the military the answer is not really. It was standard for us to use the ADDS upper air winds and temps as briefing materials for pilots flying into the US. In general the military uses the same sources of data as everyone else whenever possible and the Navy generally shares the results of its own forecast model runs publicly. Historically, the major difference between military and civilian airfields is that the military ones would have a weather staff to perform observations and forecasts just for that location. Now, it's most common that the forecasts are written in forecast centers and the stations have either contractor civilian observers or use automated sensors.

The only special observation data I can think of is when upper air balloon soundings air launched, which happens infrequently these days. That generally wouldn't be transmitted anywhere, although sometimes it could be to allow for ingestion by the forecast models.

wardialer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:32 am

welcome Nugas! And thanks for the detailed information.
I have an iPhone, and I wish ADDS had an app similar to the website link provided here.
Is there a an app for ADDS?

nugas

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:37 am

I don't think there's an app for ADDS but I haven't really looked. I've never used one for looking up aviation specific weather stuff. If you look through the app store there will probably be one that at least has TAFs / METARs.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:27 am

wardialer wrote:
Is there any place on the web that I can lookup accurate weather information that is preferably used by the US Air Force?
I looked at NOAA and Weather.gov sites, but I seem to think that those sites are a bit less accurate than what the US Air Force would have out there.

Why would you think that NOAA would be less accurate? They have some of the best meteorologists in the world with a lot of computing power at their disposal. The ARTCC I work in has some of the smartest people I've ever met, but our NOAA guys are probably the smartest people in the building. That's not to take anything away from the USAF or other military weather observers, but NOAA employs meteorologists with a lot of degrees from fancy schools and a lot of years doing what they do. In my experience (and I work in a job where weather is relevant every single day), NOAA forecasting is as good as it gets.

wardialer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am

With NOAA, its only US national Weather and does not include international. ADDS seems to be great.

mmo

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am

wardialer wrote:
With NOAA, its only US national Weather and does not include international. ADDS seems to be great.

You do realize the ADDS website is run by NOAA..........
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

wardialer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 pm

In regards to TAF forecasts, what do these numbers mean in BOLD color?
0301/0304

Is that the date and time?

Text: BECMG 0301/0304 VRB03KT
Forecast period: 0100 to 0900 UTC 03 January 2018
Forecast type: BECOMING: Conditions expected to become as follows by 0400 UTC 03 January 2018
Winds: variable direction winds at 3 MPH (3 knots; 1.5 m/s)
Visibility: 6 or more sm (10+ km)
Clouds: missing
Weather: NSW (no significant weather)

For example, would this be decoded as 03 JAN (Hour 0100Z) to 03 JAN (Hour 0400Z)

NBGSkyGod

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

wardialer wrote:
In regards to TAF forecasts, what do these numbers mean in BOLD color?
0301/0304

Is that the date and time?

Text: BECMG 0301/0304 VRB03KT
Forecast period: 0100 to 0900 UTC 03 January 2018
Forecast type: BECOMING: Conditions expected to become as follows by 0400 UTC 03 January 2018
Winds: variable direction winds at 3 MPH (3 knots; 1.5 m/s)
Visibility: 6 or more sm (10+ km)
Clouds: missing
Weather: NSW (no significant weather)

For example, would this be decoded as 03 JAN (Hour 0100Z) to 03 JAN (Hour 0400Z)

It's a forecast for the 3rd of January between 01z and 04z
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.