Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DaveFly
Topic Author

C-5M Makes Nose-Up Landing

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 am

BlueberryWheats

Re: C-5M Makes Nose-Up Landing

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am

I suggest changing the thread title to nose gear up landing.

Nose up landing surely means it flared before touchdown? :lol:

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

It's just the kneeling feature!!! Nothing to worry about!

David

N14AZ

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am

I saw such an event live in the middle of the 80ies in FRA (former Rhein Main Air Base). Actually, it happened quit often at that time.

Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm

Maybe I am going too far but I think it was a kind of a weak point in the design. For sure a more knowledgeable a-net-member can share some details...

trpmb6

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 pm

That was an incredible landing. He kept the nose off the ground almost to the point where they were at a complete stop. incredible skill.

estorilm

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
That was an incredible landing. He kept the nose off the ground almost to the point where they were at a complete stop. incredible skill.

Wow you're not kidding, almost seems to defy physics - then again that's kinda par for the course when watching the Galaxy lol.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm

estorilm wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Wow you're not kidding, almost seems to defy physics - then again that's kinda par for the course when watching the Galaxy lol.

Too be fair, it could just be an optical illusion because of the size of the Galaxy. He could be going quite a bit faster than it appears. Still, that was a long roll without setting the nose down. Definitely doing some finessing with the elevator there. Probably saved them a lot of money by putting it down so gently.

LightningZ71

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:16 pm

You'd think that, by this time, with the long history of nose gear problems that the C-5 has, that they would have developed a sturdy, conformal skid that could be modestly extended to help reduce the damage to the airframe that a nose wheel up landing causes. Yes, it's a W&B issue, yes it would take engineering, but, I suspect that both would be relatively modest when compared to the cost and reduced availability the nose gear problems are causing.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 pm

18 years in it—NLG stuck up was t that common, maybe half dozen times in its history. MLG more often, but mostly with old crosswind gear or water intrusion and resultant corrosion in the gearboxes. Skid a ridiculously complicated solution to a non-problem—it could be back in service in a day, if the NLG doors weren’t extended.

Probably about 80 knots when the pilot ran out of pitch authority and the nose touched. Very well flown, as he did lower the nose, so when pitch authority started running out, it was controlled “short” letdown.

gf

trpmb6

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Indeed. I'm glad to see we have such capable pilots flying for us.

WKTaylor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 pm

This is Kelly Field [was Kelly AFB]. There is a C-5 Reserve unit at Kelly.

cjg225

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Damn, that is some seriously impressive flying there.

dfwjim1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Knowing those type of problems occur in the C5M do the pilots receive special training to handle them?

HaveBlue

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:28 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Too be fair, it could just be an optical illusion because of the size of the Galaxy. He could be going quite a bit faster than it appears. Still, that was a long roll without setting the nose down. Definitely doing some finessing with the elevator there. Probably saved them a lot of money by putting it down so gently.

I tried to understand this long ago and this is what I came up with... when a C-5 goes 1,000', it has only traveled its own length 4 times (247'x4). When an F-16 goes 1,000' it has gone 20 times its own length (50x20). This explained to me why a 747 looked like it was going sooo slow when I knew it had to be doing almost 200mph to stay in the air and usually was going much faster (pattern speeds). A Camry would be going 62 times it length!

On topic though great job by the pilot keeping the nose aloft for that seemingly unbelievable amount of time, cool video!

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Gear extension and retraction procedures are simulated to death, surpassed only by one and two engine out training. It’s not hard, but both engineers and a pilot need to be patient and work thru the -1 procedure for the failure. Rushing it, failing to do each step in order or misidentifying the failure usually results in wasted time and sometimes worsens things. There’s failure of doors opening, failure to extend, failure to rotate, indicating failures and, in this case, a mechanical failure that resulted in the gear not coming down and no procedure working....”crash landing” checklist. Crash landing defined as when any part of the plane other than tires is anticipated to touch the surface, prepared or unprepared.

The “A” model gear was much more of a problem. In either gear design, aft extension problems were the more interesting, as at some CG locations it would tip back on its tail. I don’t believe that ever happened. NLG issues are pretty benign in most airplanes, as there’s little weight on the front. We had an F-100 land on the pitot boom, NLG up, it flew the next day. The A-10 was an exception as it was thought the gun barrels would cause a catastrophic fuselage failure—book say take a ride up the rails, IIRC.

GF