Topic Author

China And Taiwan

Thu May 04, 2000 8:55 am

Since Chen Shui Bian's been elected as president, tensions across the straight seems to be rising. What do you people out there think? Re-unify or declare independance? Independance would mean a China VS Taiwan and US war.

RE: China And Taiwan

Thu May 04, 2000 11:34 am

I think the best thing at this point is the status-quo. It's a difficult situation. On one hand, it would be nice for the people of Taiwan to choose their own destiny. Also, I would hate to see Taiwan's vigorous economy and fledgling democracy suffer at the hands of the Chinese government. But a war with China is the last thing I want, to be sure.

Thu May 04, 2000 4:00 pm

Taiwan goes independent.  

Sun May 07, 2000 3:59 am

The solution to this problem is for the Taiwanese people to decide on where they want to go in their future without being coerced by Communist China. Communist China has already demonstrated itself to be a paper tiger by threatening forced-negotiations between it and Taiwan as early as hours after elections if Chen Shui-Bian were to be elected. Well guess what - Chen Shui-Bian was indeed elected, but China then sat back and tried to ignore this problem with the media turning away its attention from the situation.

Basically China has demonstrated that it is a heartless imperialistic bully to Taiwan who wants nothing but power. Taiwan has taken its pointless threats for over 50 years, and to this date it continues to. It is time for it to finally stand up against those threats. Also, why would a country want to reunify with another one which has been threatening to blow it up with nuclear weapons if it were not to submit to its totalitarian authority? To me it just doesn't make sense.