TWFirst
Topic Author

What's Your Native Language?

Tue May 09, 2000 6:35 am

Hello everyone. Bonjour. Buenos Dias. Guten Tag.

I know this site is used by people all over the world. It is obvious from reading messages here that some people know English much better than other people...but I give those who do not know English credit for trying  

So, I was wondering what is your native language ("mother tongue")? How many languages do you speak??

Although I don't speak any other languages fluently, I have studied Deutsch and Francais a little bit. By the way, a cool website for translation (you can even translate an entire web site instantly!!!) is:
http://translator.go.com
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

UKRAir

RE: What's Your Native Language?

Tue May 09, 2000 10:37 am

My native language is Russian.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2000 11:00 am

Speciba (spelling?) UKRAir. Do you speak any other languages besides English and Russian?

UKRAir

Tue May 09, 2000 11:16 am

Also I speak Ukrainian very well.
Do pobachenya !!!

redngold

Tue May 09, 2000 11:59 am

Ingles es mi primer idioma.
English is my first language.

Espanol es mi segund idioma.
Spanish is my second language.

I also can do a little American Sign Language, but sorry I can't prove it on the keyboard 
Up, up and away!

Kuba74

Tue May 09, 2000 3:53 pm

Polish is my native language- polski jest moim ojczystym jezykiem.
Others: English, German, a little bit Russian and Latin

Bye- do zobaczenia

Kuba

Tue May 09, 2000 9:58 pm

Mitt morspråk er norsk
My native language is norwegian

Hilsen SAS 737-600
Regards from SAS 737-600  

American_4275

Wed May 10, 2000 4:46 am

I have no accent at all, but my parents do...their main language is Farsi. I know it as my secondary language and i can speak it fluently.

avion

Wed May 10, 2000 5:38 am

My native language is swiss. It's like german but the germans cant understand swiss. The words are very alike but its pronounced differently. But i can understand german.

Avion

teahan

Wed May 10, 2000 5:51 am

Well mine could be Swiss German (My mother is Swiss German) It's a different dialect of German

It could be French. I was born in Geneva and lived there until I was 10 or 11. I still often go to Geneva on holidays!

It could be English. My Dad is Irish and we spoke English at home!

Make your pick I speak the 3 of them fluently

Jeremiah Teahan 
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

flyf15

Wed May 10, 2000 6:22 am

My first is American English, while I do speak some England English, Ebonics, and Southern (so many dialects of the same language that don't sound at all alike! ;0). I also know basic spanish.

Louis

Wed May 10, 2000 8:22 am

It was Greek, but I forgot most of it now. I can still understand it well. I guess if you haven't been back in years, you lose it. We mostly speak English at home as my father is Canadian.

n4khgirl

Wed May 10, 2000 8:27 am

Well my mom's from Honduras, and my parents both went to medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico, so i spoke Spanish before i learned how to speak english.. but if i ever spoke to any of yall, i bet the first impression would be, "What a damn redneck!" LOL..

~*Camille*~

Thu May 11, 2000 12:30 am

My native toungue is Español.

turbulence

Thu May 11, 2000 12:52 am

La meva llengua nadiua és el Català
My native language is Catalan.

Catalan is a latin language, spoken by ten milions in different ways, in Catalonia (north-east of Spain), Valencia (east), Rosselló (South est of France), Balearic Islands and L'Alguer (Alghero), one city in the Italian isle of Sardinia.

Although most of Catalan Speakers find themselves in Spain, Catalan is much more similar to other languages than to Spanish itself.

For example:
(EN=English, FR=French, IT=Italian, CA=Catalan, ES=Spanish)

EN table: FR table, IT távola, CA taula, ES mesa
EN window: FR fenêtre, IT finestra, CA finestra, ES ventana
EN speak: FR parler, IT parlare, CA parlar, ES hablar
EN bed: FR lit, IT letto, CA llit, ES cama
EN leg: FR jambe, IT gamba, CA cama, ES pierna
EN peach: FR pêche, IT pesca, CA préssec, ES melocotón

Note1:
In French, the circumflex accent (^) shows that in the evolution of the language, a vowel has lost a following "S", like "fenêtre" from "fenestre", "pêche" from "pesc(h)e" (for the above comparation to Italian and Catalan) and also "hôtel" from "hostel" or "hostal" or "maître" (pronounced metre) from "mestre" (either "master", "owner" or "teacher")
Note2:
In the evolution from Latin, some Us and Vs get confused or turned into each other, like "taU(o)la" and "taV(o)la" (also seen above) or the topic title "natiVe" in EN & FR "natiVa" in ES & IT, and "nadiUa" in CA.

Also, there is something that should be said about the "Spanish" language. The word "Spanish" is quite an "imperial" word, since it is actually not "spanish". The Catholic Kings, on which name America was discovered and conquested, were not "of Spain", but "of Castilla", being Castilla just one more of the different kingdoms existing in the Iberic Peninsula at that time. So the original language should not be called anything that did not exist by then (Spain). It should be called what actually was the original place where it was spoken: "CASTILLIAN"

Some radical valencians claim they do not speak Catalan, but Valencian. This is as ridiculous as would be Argentinians, Chileans, Colombians, Mexicans, etc., claiming they don't speak Castillian; Brazilians, Mozambicans, etc., claiming they don't speak Portuguese; Québecquois claiming they don't speak French; New Zealanders, Australians, U.S., Canadians, etc., claiming they don't speak English, and people like Avion claiming they do not speak German. You can call it a dialect, a different way of speaking, but do not say it is not German: some of the most difficult people to understand for the Spaniards are the Andalusians. Their accent is very different from the accent from anywhere else in Spain and Latin America, but you will never hear an andalusian claiming he/she speaks “andalusian”. They speak Castillian. In a different way, but Castillian. The same way valencians and balearians speak catalan in a different way, and Swiss and Austrians speak German in a different way, too.

The other languages I speak are:

Almost as fluent as catalan:
Obviously, I also speak English very well.
Je parle aussi très bien Français.
Falo também muito bem Português.
Hablo tambien muy bien Castellano.
Parlo anche molto bene Italiano.
Μιλάω επίσις πολύ καλά Ελληνικά
(say "mee-'lah-aw eh-'pee-sees paw-'lee kah-'lah eh-lee-nee-'kah") (Louis, DO NOT LOOSE IT, if you speak Greek you have a treasure)

Much less fluent:
Auf Deutsch, habe ich fast alles vergeßen, entschuldigung, or
From German, I have forgotten almost everything, sorry.

Quite a little:
Izvinitjye, ya ni gabarit kharosche pa-Ruski, spaciva
I'm sorry, I do not speak good Russian, thank you.

Please excuse my verbal (written) incontinence (as know as verborrhea, or, in this case, "writorrhea", but my language is almost unknown even in Spain, and this was a good opportunity to explain something.

Thanks everybody for your patience.

Best turbulences,
Jordi.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2000 2:54 am

Jordi:

Many thanks for the fascinating language lesson. I didn't fully know the history behing Catalan vs. Castillian. I am very envious that you speak so many languages. This is one drawback of being an American. In Europe, you have several different languages spoken in a relatively small area so it is necessary and useful to speak several languages, and you can use them frequently (which, as we know, is critical for learning a language).

In America, (especially the interior), this is not necessary. My goal is to learn two other languages. I am considering "Spanish" (Castillian), and debating whether to continue studying French or German (maybe both).

I was in Europe last September (Paris and Greece). I would have loved to have been able to communicate in French.

But, alas, English is so widely spoken and is continuing its destiny as the international language (I know many people are not happy about this, but, it is undeniable).

Otherwise, why would a Swedish web site be in English?? 

Au revoir

avion

Thu May 11, 2000 3:09 am

I didn't claim that my language isn't german. I forgot that the official designation is swiss-german. But it's a fact that most of the germans dont understand swiss german.

Avion

Julien.M

Thu May 11, 2000 7:06 am

hi! or should I say "salut!"
My native language is French! but here in Brussels you are obliged to know French and Deutch (from Netherlands). Here in Belgium we have 3 nationals languages: french, deutch and german. héhé all of that for that small country!
but i would had prefered to be born speaking english!  (
so I speak fluently english, french of course. about deutch unfortunately i'm very bad and my teachers too lol!
salut @+

lima

RE: Dutch Translator?

Thu May 11, 2000 10:05 am

Hi,

My native language is spanish. I also speak english, portuguese some french.

Thanks for the translator tip. Do you know any translator for dutch-english on the internet??

Muchas gracias

Sebastian

Thu May 11, 2000 2:15 pm

English: first
chinese: second

Singapore we have 4 official language : chinese,tamil,english,malay
national lang. : malay

Louis

Gundu

Thu May 11, 2000 2:39 pm

So, you speak with a British accent?

SabenaA320

Thu May 11, 2000 2:46 pm

Hey All

My native language is Dutch. (Mijn moedertaal is Nederlands) I speak it fluently, because I'm Belgian. It's also spoken in The Netherlands, but there is a some difference, but not so much.

Je parle aussi un peu de Français. I speak also a little bit of French.

And I can speak also English. Well, who can't. You learn it at school here. You learn also French, Spanish and German.

Lima: Babylon translates English - Dutch.

C Ya, tot ziens, a bientôt, hasta la proxima
Ralf    

cricri

Thu May 11, 2000 8:16 pm

Native languages are German and French.
I can also speak fluently Spanish and English and can handle a bit of Italian, Chinese and Russian

Thu May 11, 2000 8:47 pm

Native language is English, but know enough French, German, Italian and Spanish to get by, and a little Bahasa Indonesia

Я говорю маленький Русский также, хотя моя грамматика далека от совершенного. Привет всем моим Российским друзьям.

Dutch Translator

Thu May 11, 2000 8:54 pm

Voor naar de persoon wie watertje zin te Nederlands vertaler, visite zulks terrein

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran

It translates 700-odd language pairs

SabenaA320

Brissie_lions

Thu May 11, 2000 9:42 pm

Hey Brissie

I don't know where you get that sentence, but I'm Belgian and I speak fluently dutch and I couldn't figure out what this sentence means.

I'll translate what you've said:
for the person who little water sentence the dutch translator, visit such terrain.  
Maybe it's the African language, but I don't understand this sentence.
I think I will try another translator  

Greetings
Ralf

SabenaA320

Thu May 11, 2000 10:08 pm

That sentence I used in Dutch was done using the translator...that is the problem with these translators, you have to speak formal formal language or it will make mistakes, although they are good for doing a few words or the like. Nothing like learning the language properly though  

Cheers buddy

Scott

ZRH

RE: What's Your Native Language

Thu May 11, 2000 10:42 pm

Like Avion and Teahan my native language is - spoken Swiss German (a dialect which most Germans don't understand) - written and spoken so called high or good German (which is spoken in Germany). I also speak and write (some times with mistakes) English and French. I understand Italien quite well and Spanish a little bit.

turbulence

Thu May 11, 2000 11:48 pm

It's OK, Avion.
I just happened to remember many people “creating” languages. We have enough of them near Catalunya, as you probably read. It also applies to other people in Europe, (like Alsatians in N.E. France claiming they do not speak German, or Belgians claiming they do not speak Dutch) and it is true that many Germans do not understand what is spoken, not only in Switzerland and Austria, but also in South Germany (Schwarzwald).

TWFirst:
unluckily for us catalonians, as I wrote, Catalan language is unknown (and mistreated) even in Spain, and Spaniards usually explain history in a weird way about what they undesrtand their by themselves. If you want (and whoever else might be interested) I could write a HUGE e-mail explaining quite a lot if you post your adress in this topic.
Thanks for your interest

Best turbulences!!

Lauda 777

Fri May 12, 2000 6:08 am

Svenska era skithögar

Swedish your bloody asholes!

//Lauda 777, Vby
Joystick for flightsim. Yokes for real planes.

jkelley480

Fri May 12, 2000 2:46 pm

Have you been drinking, Lauda 777?

jkelley480

Fri May 12, 2000 2:49 pm

Have you been drinking, Lauda 777?

StarAlliance

Fri May 12, 2000 4:27 pm

My mother tongue-Cantonese, a kind of Chinese
I know- English, Mandarin

what I know have already covered half of the population of the whole world!!

avion

RE: Turbulence

Fri May 12, 2000 8:19 pm

Whats spoken in Austria and Southern Germany differs quite a bit from swiss german. Its not a huge differnce but it's not swiss german. Their pronounciation sounds funny for my. Its sounds like when someone swiss is drunk!

Avion

Lauda 777

Fri May 12, 2000 9:26 pm

No...I just pretty irritaded just now...Sorry!

Joystick for flightsim. Yokes for real planes.

turbulence

Sat May 13, 2000 2:24 am

I don't know if I understood too well you now, Avion. When I say that many Germans do not understand what is spoken in Austria, Switzerland and Schwarzwald, I do not mean that all of the three are the same. For sure they are all different, and there's always one which is “more different” than the rest.
I've suffered it myself: when I started studying English, my teacher was from London. When I changed level, I had a U.S. teacher: it took me two whole weeks to understand one only word...
Or: study Spanish with a teacher from Zaragoza, Valldolid or Logroño, to say something, and make your first trip to Spain by Sevilla, Granada or Almería, for just some examples. You'll understand what I mean...  

Best turbulences.

Peter

Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:43 am

English. I have also taken one year of French in school, but I don't know much yet.

thai747

Sat Jul 08, 2000 1:22 pm

Hi  
Being a half Philippino and Thai living in Thailand. My native language is of course, Thai. Knowing few words in Tagalog ( Philippino ) and have been speaking English for 4 years when I joined an International School...

Being in an intl' school however, I have learned to swear in more than 10 diff. languages  cool 'eh? hehe

Lindy

Sat Jul 08, 2000 2:28 pm

My native tangue is Polish.

Jezu ale jestem pijany i wypisuje te glupoty hehehe ale bede mial kaca jutro

Regards,
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

RE: Thai747; Lindy

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:56 pm

Thai747
I think you spelled it incorrectly. It should be Filipino in reference to the race and Pilipino for the language.

Lindy
I think I got the "hehehe" part...Am I right?  

thai747

Sat Jul 08, 2000 4:23 pm

Thanks for the correction.. shame on me 

9A-CRO
Crew

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:24 pm

Govorim Hrvatski, pa dakle razumem i Srpski, Bosanski, Crnogorski.
My native language is Croatian, and due to enormous similarity
I can also freely communicate with people from Serbia, Bosnia and Montenegro.

Weird things happened after the breakdown of Yugoslavia.
One film from Serbia arrived to Croatia and it had subtitles
although everyone could understand 99% of the words,
not underswtanding only some slang words.
It is the same as if would BBC put subtitles on US movie.

Takze mowie po Polsku, i nie jestem pijany jak niektorzy ktory sie tym chwala w poprzednich "tekstach".
I do also speak Polish, and therefor I can also
understand some other slavic languages (written or slowly spoken)
I write Latin as the bigger part of the world, but I do also know
cyrillic writing because I learned it in school while there still was Yugoslavia (one of last generations)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Sat Jul 08, 2000 6:58 pm

I speak English at home, but I also kow a bit of Zulu (a language here) and Afrikaans (another language here, similar to Dutch and Flemish)

Tommy  

Sun Jul 09, 2000 12:10 am

Hello!
Ni hao!

I speak English.
Wo hui ying wen.

I also speak Chinese.
Wo ye hui zhong wen.

(English First Language)

Goodbye!
Zai jian!

Jack
Ja Ker

Lindy

Sun Jul 09, 2000 1:42 am

CstarU you got it  

9A-CRO nie chwalilem sie tylko napisalem ze jestem pijany. A teraz umieram bo mam tego kaca.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Carioca Canuck

Sun Jul 09, 2000 5:49 am

I speak English (my native language) and "Parisian" French (as opposed to "Franglais" from Quebec) fluently.

I am about 20 % fluent in verbal "Brasilian" Portugese and 80% capable when it comes to reading it.

polaris

Tue Jul 11, 2000 5:11 am

I speak both of Canada's official languages - English and French. English is my "mother tongue". I also speak Italian.

LH423

Tue Jul 11, 2000 6:10 am

I speak English as my native, and primary language. I also speak french with fair accuracy (but I can read it much better). I can also speak a fair amount of German.

Bye
Au Revoir
Auf Wiedersehen

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Marco

Wed Jul 12, 2000 6:18 pm

Mine is Assyrian
we dont have a country but we have
a population of around 3 million, assyria was originally iraq,lebanon,syria,iran and trukey, our language is not arabic,
and we are 100% Christians
Proud to be an Assyrian!