senliture

What Do You Think About Hong Kong?

Mon May 15, 2000 8:12 pm

What do you think about Hong Kong?
I live in Hong Kong, but I want to know how the foreigners think about Hong Kong.  

RE: What Do You Think About Hong Kong?

Tue May 16, 2000 1:49 am

Love it !

I had a month out in the Far East a few years ago and would like to return in the future.

I found Hong Kong such a awsome place & Kia Tak
was quite good as well ! - What are your views on the "new" airport.

Regards, Steve

teahan

Tue May 16, 2000 2:20 am

I was there last October. It was great. I went to see the exhibit on the airport and the bridge! I forgot the names now. But I found consumer electronics a rip off. People say they are cheap in Hong Kong but they are not . Anyway I purchased FS2000 pro for half of what I would have paid in Europe  !

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

dtwa320

Tue May 16, 2000 8:40 am

What's it like living in Hong Kong now that it's under Chinese rule? Is it the same? From what I've seen on TV It looks the same as when the British had Hong Kong. Is it still a party city?  

Rotate777

Tue May 16, 2000 1:39 pm

I love Hong Kong. It is a great city. I've visited it 3 times (i live in california). The night life is great! I only stayed there 4-5 days all three times I was there.
Shopping is great. I like how most of everything is cheap. I was there on the last day of kai tak. It was an enjoyable experience. I was on one of the last flights out.

Rotate777

senliture

Tue May 16, 2000 4:50 pm

Dear DTWA320,
Ya, most of the living lifes in Hong Kong remain unchange. But of course, something that contain the word "ER II" has been erased. The lifes are wonderful. But really, the air pollution is a big problem for it, but I know, the Hong Kong Government is doing something to solve it, hope you all still love Hong Kong~  

teahan

Wed May 17, 2000 2:27 am

And water pollution! You can see it from the Star Ferry across fro Tsim Shat Tsui to Kowloon! Do people from Hong Kong ever actually swim at the beaches of Cheung Chau and Silvermines (I think those are the names) We went there and saw hardly no one! The water definetly does not look apertising !

Jeremiah Teahan

n949wp

Wed May 17, 2000 10:29 am

Hi, Teahan,

Few people swim at those two beaches you mentioned. They're a bit too out-of-the-way for most. Next time, try Repulse Bay.  

'949

teahan

Thu May 18, 2000 4:06 am

They are only one hour by both from the city! And they have full lifeguard facilities!

Jeremiah Teahan

b744

Thu May 18, 2000 7:58 am

Hong Kong is certainly one of my favourite cities. I've been there probably around 40 times over the past 8 years (I live in New Zealand). Its such a vibrant city and has huge opportunities for business. Its easy to get around on the MTR and taxis really cheap. One of my favourite pubs is the Mad Dogs - down the south end of Nathan Road in the Golden Mile district. It's great to go there for a steak pie & chips after spending a couple of weeks eating Chinese food in China. Not that I have anything against Chinese food - just that two weeks of it is a bit much!

Really sad that Kai Tak is no longer. I often used to stay at the Regal Airport Hotel in Kowloon City and spent hours watching the aircraft land on runway 13 from the airport car park building. Sigh....

StarAlliance

Sat May 20, 2000 4:32 pm

Hi, Teahan,

First of all, I live in Hong Kong, and after reading your post, I have something to say.

Actually, Hong Kong is well known for the fast paced life style ( I don't know it is good or bad   ) Although Cheung Chau and Silvermine Bay are just about one hour from the city, it is STILL TOO MUCH for us!!!! ( amazing? ) Moreover, it takes a lot of time to take the ferry to go to Cheung Chau!!!

StarAlliance

Granite

Sat May 20, 2000 10:01 pm

Hi

As you are able to see from my profile, Hong Kong is my most favourite destination  

regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

turbulence

Sat May 20, 2000 10:04 pm

First of all, it is a BIIIIIIIIIIIG pity they closed Kai Tak. It is also a BIIIIIIIIIIIG pity I could not reach to it.
About the "slogan" One Country, Two Systems, i never felt too comfortable. One day this is going to finish, and the first thing China did in Hong Kong after the "devolution" was a demonstration of force by the army. I know a girl living there, whose father has everything ready (papers, permissions, some things ready to be sold immediately, ...) to leave as soon as the things go towards the "chinese" way a little bit too much (mean cutting press liberty -as it has already happened-, controlled economy, -call it comunism, if you want-, and some other not happy consequences). But this is just the opinion of one family.

I have never been there, and I am not an "authorised" opinion on anyhting directly related to this very special place. What do you think about this, Senliture, StarAlliance and whoever might be HongKongese or whoever from any nationality might be living in HKK?

Best turbulences

pandora

Shopper's Heaven!

Sun May 21, 2000 11:17 am

I've been to Hong kong a few times and I love it!! Food is nice, everything is cheap and I bought heaps of DW models!!!!!!

senliture

Sun May 21, 2000 7:36 pm

Dear Turbulence,
Hong Kong now is under the One Country, Two Systems, but actually, it doesn't has any BIG change after the 1-7-1997. The flags now changed from blue to red, and the army bases now are owned by the PRC. But, someone said that they are too cool, they only obey orders, nothing more. But that's not bad, at least, they can really show they discipline.

What I don't like is the Government. They are too weak to do anything, they can't focus on the main problem in Hong Kong. That's what I really hate. Ha...Singapore Government is better, but this may caused by Hong Kong is only a city, but Singapore is a Country.

StarAlliance

Mon May 22, 2000 4:49 pm

As a Hong Kong citizen, I(who love aviation very much) also have the same feeling as many of you that the shutdown of Kai Tak makes me sad. But, if you live in the area near the Kai Tak airport, I think you can't sleep well everyday! But, fact is a fact, the new Chek Lap Kok Airport is operating today and we still welcome it!

Under the One Country, Two System, Hong Kong is still operating very well in every aspect, judiciary, anti-corruption etc. But, I agree with Senliture that the HK Government is too too too WEAK! The Chief executive(i.e. head of HK) doesn't have his own opinion. He likes a child playing a swing, sometimes he needs to calm the citizen, sometimes he needs to satisfy the Beijing government, perhaps!

But, still, Hong Kong is quite good today!

Still, Don't believe it, COME TO HONG KONG-THE CITY OF LIFE!!!!!!!!

Delta15

Sat May 27, 2000 7:45 am

If i could go anywhere in Asia i would be Hong Kong, Seen some beutiful Pics.