Topic Author

Storm Chasers

Wed May 17, 2000 1:30 am

Does anyone chase storms? If so I would love to her about it. I find it fasinating to chase a tornado or any other type of intense storm.
-Chris  
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

RE: Storm Chasers

Wed May 17, 2000 7:37 am

I chase storms but on radar not Satellite I love tracking hurricanes.

Pilot1113

I'm A WX Buff

Mon May 22, 2000 3:55 pm

I love watching the Weather Channel and reading about anything and everything wx related.

I tracked and predicted "The Storm of the Century" up here in Boston. I don't know what NWS would think if they knew that a 7th grader did a better job!

In high school, I was the school's meteorologist. If there was a storm coming, I'd talk with the Superintendent about cancelling classes. Just because I was a high schooler doesn't mean that I had to be biased.

- Neil Harrison

Samurai 777

Mon May 22, 2000 4:34 pm

I'm more of a storm spotter rather than a chaser - I don't even have a vehicle to call my own. My apartment building has a nice rooftop sundeck, so I just go up there whenever I see a good thunderstorm come up. In Alberta, during the summer, thunderstorms will often develop and and come rolling in out of the foothills east of the Rockies. Edmonton doesn't usually get hail as much as Calgary does, but the Edmonton area sees more tornadoes, though. It sits right at the northern end of the Tornado Alley. I've never seen a tornado, but I've seen funnel clouds about three times, once right from the rooftop sundeck.

My best storm was back in June '97, when a beast of a spectacular supercell, a rotating thunderstorm, came right overhead. Most of the lightning was flashing in the upper levels of the storm, rather than at the base or cloud-to-ground. This told me that this beast was still sucking in great amounts of warm air. Mind you, this was in broad daylight, but the lightning was still bright. The cloud structure of the updraft part (the rotating part) was really amazing - you could see all the way up to the anvil (the flattened top) - all 40,000 feet of it. There was hail, but it wasn't very large, however, it did dump a lot of rain - incredible amounts of it. No tornadoes from this storm, although another storm was reported to have developed at least a couple of large funnel clouds NW of Edmonton.

The supercell is the most dangerous type of thunderstorm, as they are the ones responsible for tornadoes, giant hail, and highly damaging winds. One main characteristic is a rotating updraft base, where warm and humid air is being sucked in. It's also known as a rain-free base, and that's where a tornado is likely to come out of. Supercells are so called because they can last a lot longer than ordinary thunderstorms, as much as 10-12 hours, compared to an hour and a half for ordinary ones. The one I mentioned in Edmonton lasted at least 4-5 hours. Most supercells are found in the US Midwest, where the heart of Tornado Alley - and storm chasing country lies. I've seen supercells several times in Alberta.

Like Pilot 1113, I check out the Weather Channel regularly, and like to read about weather-related stuff.

Night Hawk

Fri May 26, 2000 5:55 pm

Hi There

I live in Perth West Australia. We dont get the best storms but we do get some good ones. I work full time but also chase in my spare time when there's storms.

I've got some good video footage and a few lightning photos, would love some better ones though  

This is my best lightning photo so far  

Not too bad for a single strike  

Regards

Greg

Granite

Fri May 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Hi

I wish I was able to do this.

There are no storms in the UK for us to chase!

I watched a programme a while ago called "Stormchaser" and it was fantastic.

Best regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Delta15

Sat May 27, 2000 7:29 am

No, but ive always wanted to be one.

redngold

Wed May 31, 2000 7:43 am

I'm a member of the Northeast Ohio Chapter of the American Meterological Society. I don't storm chase per se, but I do track them on radar. During hurricane season I'm scope-locked on www.wunderground.com/tropical/. Living here in Ohio I see a lot of severe thunderstorms and a few funnel clouds every year. Since I'm near Lake Erie I also see spectacular gust fronts.
Nice picture, Night Hawk!  
I guess aviation and meteorology go together hand in hand...
Up, up and away!