pandora

The World Without Computers

Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:29 pm

airplanes won't fly, we won't have the internet, i won't be sitting here and posting a message, etc..

prebennorholm

RE: The World Without Computers

Fri Jun 02, 2000 6:25 pm

Oh no, planes would still fly.
There would be no programmed overbooking, so you would always be on the plane for which you have a ticket.
No wrong bar codes on the baggage tags, so the baggage will arrive with you at your destination.
There would be a third man on the flight deck navigating the airliner with a compas and star tracking.
Long distance communication would be on the telex machine, and only essential information would be received. We would hardly receive any junkmail.
Airbus planes would be grounded for a short while as they would need to have Boeing flight control systems installed.
Some things would take a little more time, but just imagine all the time we would save when we didn't have to deal with computer problems...
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

dc10

Fri Jun 02, 2000 9:41 pm

"Airbus planes would be grounded for a short while "
Hum... First airbus were 3men crews, but even in the concorde, there are computers (mainly for fuel calculation), so we had to look at the spirit of St louis to find a plane without computer!

DC10

prebennorholm

Fri Jun 02, 2000 11:05 pm

DC10 wrote: "so we had to look at the spirit of St louis to find a plane without computer!..."

If I remember well, then Spirit of St. Louis had a one man crew. Halleluja, with no computers we even save a man in the front office!

(PS: One slight problem, I would be unemployed).

(PPS: No, I'm not a co-pilot, I'm just making a living out of "fixing computers").
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

NKP S2

Sat Jun 03, 2000 12:42 am

We survived without them,and without those #&#@*& cell phones for that matter. Depending on how broadly or narrowly "computer" is defined...where we can draw the line as to whether they are a compact little helpful "brain" that makes mudane tasks easier or a 24 karat screw-up automaton that just complicates life,can vary greatly. In summation I'm glad we have them,just so long as we keep things in perspective...The world (and life) DOES NOT revolve around computers. This,from a 37 year old whose life bridged the gap between the digital and pre-digital age.