Scotty
Topic Author

Who's The Next President - I Hope Its Not .......

Sat Aug 05, 2000 7:12 am

..... Bush Junior. From a European perspective, he makes our politicians look like switched on geniuses. Is George Senior REALLY his Dad? How could he produce such a jerk?

This guy makes William Hague look like an intellectual. Even makes George Robertson look like a statesman!!What are his policies? Does he know? Why does he look like he's just put the bedroom light on? Does he know where the rest of the world is beyond Texas? Do you have to be as dumb as Ronald Reagan to be a Republican President?

So what do you all think? Especially the plane-pickers in the US of A

Happy Birthday to the Queen Mum.

Hamlet69

RE: Who's The Next President - I Hope Its Not .......

Sat Aug 05, 2000 7:44 am

I must say, I agree with you, Scotty. I watched is speech last night, and after 45 minutes, I had to turn it off. He did not say one thing that actually meant anything. I still don't even know what he intends to do if he actually did get voted in. That said, I actually am more concerned about Congress. Does anyone know how many seats are up this year? Is is possible the Democrats can finally take control back? I don't think it really matters which moron is in office, neither one seems to know what the hell is going on.

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.

dtwa320

Sat Aug 05, 2000 8:06 am

I don't want to see 4-8 more years of a democrat in office. Ever since Clinton (even before ) was elected there has been nothing but scandal. He has made a joke out of America. I do agree that it doesn't really matter who is in office, but I do want someone who will not bring disgrace to my country.

lax2000

Sat Aug 05, 2000 10:48 am

Well said Scotty, I think Clinton is the best president since Kennedy.
Hey, and they both had an eye for the ladies, although Kennedy had better taste.
If Kennedy was President now he wouldn't last a month without scandle scrounged up by the opposite party. We'll see how long Bush lasts if he wins.
In this age of "caught on tape " I give him 6 months before he's caught snorting coke with his frat boy buddies off some strippers arse.

Adam

FlyVirgin744

Sat Aug 05, 2000 10:53 am

Actually I think both candidates are terrible. My family is mostly republican but we'll probably go for Gore, Bush is slimy, fake, and makes me sick. I didn't always think this about him, not till I saw his interview on 20/20. I'd like to see Jesse Ventura run, sure he's a wrestler, but he's not a phony. I really liked that McCain guy, but he's out. I fear the Bush win because he is a religous (unless he is faking it) man and may give religous students more rights at school. I don't think a child should be able to bring a Bible to school or be able to pray before a test. That makes other kids like myself feel uncomfortable. School is for learning, not praying, a kid shouldn't pray before a test, he should study before a test. A kid shouldn't read the Bible at school, he read a math book at school. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people who are religous, but keep it out of public school. This is why I fear Bush.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Matt D

Thank You Mr Clinton

Sat Aug 05, 2000 11:39 am

As the Clinton administration winds down, I would like to offer the following thanks to this "greatest" president this country has ever seen.
This was shared with me via an e-mail and is not all my work. Some of it is taken from that e-mail, but I also interjected some of my own thoughts as well.

1. Thank you for allowing every non white male on the planet to remind me about how evil and intolerant I am.
2. Thank you for introducing me to gennifer Flowers, Monica Lewinsky, Linda Trippe, and Juanita Broaddrick-whom says you raped her.
3. Thank you for teaching our kindergarten and first grade kids about oral sex. The cigar trick was pretty cool. 5 year olds now know more about sex than I did when I was a senior in high school. So I thank you for sparing all of todays new parents the embarrasment of having to have that talk.
4. Thank you for showing us that sexual harrassment on the job is ok-as long as it's in the White House. All you have to know is what the meaning of "is" is. It is enlightening to know that certain sexual acts are not sex, and that one person may have sex while the other one involved does NOT have sex.
5. Thank you for reintroducing the concept of impeachment to a new generation and demonstrating that the asanine plot of the movie "Wag the dog" is indeed plausible.
6. Thank you for making Jimmy Carter look competent, Gerald Ford dignified, Richard Nixon look honest, and JFK moral.
7. Thank you for the 72 House and Senate witnesses who've pleaded the 5th and 17 witnesses who've skipped the country to avoid testifying about Democratic fund raising.
8. Thank you for remembering the families of those who once served you and died so suddenly and mysteriously including Vince Foster, Jerry Parks, Ron Brown, Les Aspin, Jim McDougal and about 45 others.
9. Thank you for the 19 charges, 8 convictions, and 4 imprisonments from the Whitewater "mess" and the 55 criminal charges and 32 convictions (so far) in the other Clinton scandals.
10. Thank you for reducing our military by half. Thank you for sharing all of our top secret defense systems with our Chinese friends.
11. Thank you for all those wonderful and amazing trips around the globe carefully disguised as "necessary" and "for the people". My how proud you must be to have surpassed every other president with the size and frequency of these entourage's.
12. Thank you for showing me how to blame someone else for my infidelity and and lack of ethics by wagging your finger and telling me it's none of my business.
13. Thank you for demonstrating conclusively that selective memory is indeed possible, and works to your benefit.
14. Thank you for outlawing God. Who cares if the concept of a family is an outdated concept? So what if road rage, air rage, and general rudeness are on the rise? So what if my kid needs to wear a bullet proof vest to first grade? Who cares if my 15 year old cousin gets pregnant whil tripping on Ecstasy and later dies while attempting to get an abortion? As long as the economy is good, it is ok to look the other way.
15. I will be looking forward to January of 2001.
The day you leave office, and George W. Bush is sworn in as our next President for the first of 2 terms, that will forever be a day of National celebration.

Don't let the door slam you on the ass on your way out Mr. Clinton.

Purdue Arrow

Sat Aug 05, 2000 11:47 am

Why on earth should a student not be allowed to read the book of his choice at school, FlyVirgin744? Why, also, should a person not be allowed to pray privately? By doing these things, they are in no way forcing you to participate - they are simply doing their own thing! It's one thing to forbid a prayer in front of a group, such as at a graduation ceremony, but another one all together to say that a student can't practice his own religion privately. Why does it make you uncomfortable to see somebody else reading a book if they are not simultaneously preaching to you? Why does it make you uncomfortable to see somebody pray if they are not making you participate in the prayer? The separation of charch and state prevents the state from advancing religion; it doesn't prevent religion from being practiced in public. If the religious participants are not coercing anybody to participate unwillingly, then they are doing nothing wrong. Saying that they should not be allowed to do their thing because you're not religious is like saying that they should not be allowed to have a french club because not all students speak french.

Now that I got that vented, I will go on as the first here to say that I hope "Dubya" does win. For those who still have no idea what he supports and what his policies are, you can look at www.bush2000.com to find out. While he is indeed no John McCain, he is the best man running for the job. For anyone he didn't hear any policy in his speech, here are some key excerpts. Perhaps reading will get across what listening did not...

On Social Security:
"...For younger workers, we will give you the option -- your choice -- to put a part of your payroll taxes into sound, responsible investments..." Bush support giving Americans the opportunity to invest their SS taxes, acheiving the historically higher returns that the stock market has provided

On Education:
"Too many American children are segregated into schools without standards, shuffled from grade-to-grade because of their age, regardless of their knowledge. This is discrimination, pure and simple -- the soft bigotry of low expectations." Bush supports an end to social promotion. Students should not move into the next grade until they have mastered the lessons of their current grade level. You can't expect students to pick up the new knowledge that they are supposed to get if they don't have the assumed knowledge base from previous years of schooling.

On Taxes:
"The surplus is not the government's money. The surplus is the people's money...we will abolish the death tax...we will reduce tax rates for everyone, in every bracket...we will lower the bottom rate from 15 percent to 10 percent and double the child tax credit." Bush will use some of the surplus to pay down debt etc., but he supports the common sense fact that a surplus means that the government over-taxed. A surplus is the people's money, and by giving it back, the economy will be stimulated. More people will have more money to spend.

On International Military Intervention:
"Now is the time, not to defend outdated treaties, but to defend the American people." Under Bush, US troops will not be sent out to police the world; rather, they will be deployed in situations in which the US has a genuine interest. Further, US troops will never be put under UN control - they will participate in UN actions only when the US maintains control of our people.

On His Tenure As Texas Governor:
"So we improved our schools, dramatically, for children of every accent, of every background. We moved people from welfare to work. We strengthened our juvenile justice laws. Our budgets have been balanced, with surpluses, and we cut taxes not only once, but twice. We accomplished a lot." Bush has proven that he can succesfully implement the reforms he is promising, now he's looking to do it on a national level.

On Bipartisanship:
"I don't deserve all the credit, and don't attempt to take it. I worked with Republicans and Democrats to get things done. A bittersweet part of tonight is that someone is missing, the late Lt. Governor of Texas Bob Bullock. Bob was a Democrat...He worked by my side, endorsed my re-election..." Bush, like McCain, says and does what he believes in, rather than what the party prescribes. He has proven that he can work WITH members of both parties to get done what needs to be done.

On Health Insurance:
"We will give low-income Americans tax credits to buy the private health insurance they need and deserve." Bush supports helping people help themselves - by providing tax credits, many more people will be able to afford medical insurance.

On Charity:
"My administration will give taxpayers new incentives to donate to charity, encourage after-school programs that build character, and support mentoring groups that shape and save young lives...We must tell them, with clarity and confidence, that drugs and alcohol can destroy you, and bigotry disfigures the heart." By reaching out to people when they are young, we can hope to steer people the right way - to show children that they can live a life that is better than gangs, crimes, and violence. Show a child that he is worth something, and that child will believe it.

On (Partial Birth) Abortion:
"...when Congress sends me a bill against partial-birth abortion, I will sign it into law." Bush is willing to take a stand against the deplorable act of the partial birth abortion.

On Ideals:
"I believe great decisions are made with care, made with conviction, not made with polls. I do not need to take your pulse before I know my own mind. I do not reinvent myself at every turn... When I act, you will know my reasons ...When I speak, you will know my heart." Bush will do what he believes is right, and won't flip-flop based on what is poular at the time. As has so often been said, what is right is not always popular; what is popular is not always right.

All of these quotes are taken from his nomination acceptance speech (8/3/2000), as quoted on the bush2000 website.

While I do support Bush for president, I don't have anything against Gore (for the most part). I believe that both men want the same thing - to make the United States of America the best nation that it can be. I also believe, however, that Bush's route toward the best America possible is a better, more effective route than Gore's.

Hamlet - I agree that Congress is at least as important as the presidency; after all, the president can't sign bills into law if congress doesn't pass them first. I'm sure that enough seats are up for election in the Senate for the dems to regain control (33-34 are available every 2 years), and of course the whole House is up for re-election. However, we can hope that they are not successful, as the best situation we could hope for is a Republican congress to support Bush.

Purdue Arrow

Sat Aug 05, 2000 11:51 am

Ok, so Matt beat me to the position of first to post in support of Bush, but that was great Matt. I didn't realize that Clinton gave us so very much to be thankful for!

Peter

Sat Aug 05, 2000 12:11 pm

Well said Matt D and Purdue Arrow. I agree. I really hope that Bush wins. Then we can finally get Clinton and Gore out of the office.

N863DA

Sat Aug 05, 2000 12:43 pm

I'm with Matt D - as usual - on this one too. Bush is WAY better than any 'liberal' democrat. As some have already said, this will get those ridiculous left-wingers out of an office which should be held only by Right-of-center politicians.

It makes me cringe to imagine how people can be 'liberal.' Urgh.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

I can tell you that Georgia will certainly be voting Bush. Let's hear it for the greatest state in the Union.

desertjets

Nader In 2000!

Sat Aug 05, 2000 1:14 pm

You know I thought the first time I would be able to vote in my country's Presidential election it would be exciting and empowering. I was wrong. My choices are dumb and dumber, and it is not funny.

On the right we have George "Dubya" Bush. Whose hazy cloudy gaze will lull the voters into a happy euphoric mindset.

On the left we have Al "I am not Clinton" Gore. Who doesn't have a prayer let alone a platform to stand on.

What really angers me as a voter is that the Presidential election has been set since February after the first few primaries. This system does not seem to work. I would have loved John McCain to be one of the candidates. So now we have to sit through a few more months of these two genuises spouting back and forth the same exact crap at each other. and all we have to look foreward to is four more years of the same crap.

So, as a responsible, educated citizen and voter I must do some sort of protest. I will be voting for Ralph Nader, at least he has a social conscious. Hopefully the local elections will prove to be more meaningful.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Purdue Arrow

Sat Aug 05, 2000 1:48 pm

I'm as open minded as the next guy, so when DesertJets brought up Nader, a candidate I have never considered, I decided to take a look at his website. After looking through his section on issues, I don't know how anyone can vote for him. Not all people are real clear with proposed actions during speeches, but at least Bush makes his positions and proposals clear on his website. There was a lot of stuff on his page I don't agree with to begin with (why, for example, is it a problem that less than 10% of Americans are unionized??), but he didn't even tell what he would do to fix the problems that he has identified in any but a very few instances. But hey, if throwing your vote away in protest makes you feel better, have at it... I don't fear that he will win, so I won't try to change your mind.

j_hallgren

Sun Aug 06, 2000 5:15 pm

It better be the 2nd "George W" that makes it!
How could anyone stand to listen to Al BORE for that long? Yuk! What he needs is a good dose to termites to attack that wooden body of his!

And Monica should have taken "a bite out of crime" while she had the chance....and fixed that left leaning liberal slick Willie like it deserved to be.

Good Democrats are those who do one of the following:
1) vote Republican
2) Don't vote at all so we can get in office like we deserve to
3) Die!

Am I biased? You bet! And a Ditto-head also!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Hamlet69

Sun Aug 06, 2000 5:48 pm

. . . and people wonder why I'm a Democrat!

Hamlet69

Scotty
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2000 6:33 am

Glad I got you all going over there. But hey, which one of Gore or Bush knows the answer to the following questions :

1. Where is Europe?

2. Who's the President of Russia?

3. Why are star wars missile defence systems useless against so called "bandit" states?

4. Who is Tony Blair?

I suspect George "Dubya" Bush would answer "Dunno" to all four. Gore (Bore - and no doubt he can) at least would have some idea or at least be able to string a reasonably cohesive soundbite together.

So us Europeans probably give him the nod, even though we cant vote!!

Scotty

Purdue Arrow

Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:33 pm

Yes, Hamlet, we do wonder... care to enlighten us?

Hamlet69

Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:56 pm

Purdue Arrow,

I was reffering to J_hallgren's post. When I see such narrow views, I wonder how this country has survived for so long. Don't get me wrong, I am quite proud of the diversity and freedom of ideas that we have here, and it is for this reason that such close-mindedness truly astonishes me. For someone to think a "good Democrat" is one who "dies", I feel quite proud that I am a living, voting Democrat.

I must say, I probably would have voted for McCain, I think he would have made the best President, even if I didn't agree with some of this views. What would have made that even more special is the fact I swore I would never vote Republican after they proved witch hunts were still possible. However, since they (Republicans) decided to nominate Bush Jr., someone who I note only disagree with, but feel would make a terrible president anyway, I have no choice but to vote for Gore. But rest assured, J_hallgren, I will be voting.

Hamlet69

P.S. - Thanks for turning me to Bush's website. It was very informative. Now I have honest reasons not to like him.

Purdue Arrow

Mon Aug 07, 2000 1:27 pm

Ahh - I see your point... I must have skipped over J_hallgren's post! I agree that McCain would have been the ideal man for the job, and I supported him in the primaries. I'm glad you found Bush's website to be informative - I wish I could say the same about Gore's, which I finally went and looked at. Nowhere does he offer clear explanations of his positions. Personally, I think that's important information to have before voting for someone.

PS - After reading the clips from his acceptance speech, do you see the things that he would do if elected? I'm not saying you have to agree with them, of course, I just want to see if you see they were there.

RE: LAX2000

Tue Aug 08, 2000 12:41 am

Clinton is the greatest President since JFK???? Is this an oxymoron? What did JFK do in his 2 years? Bay of Pigs? Marilyn Monroe? Vietnam?

Just because a President has a tragic death does not automatically make him great.

RE: "European Perspective"?

Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:18 am

Obviously you don't like him with your "European Perspective" because Europeans have tended to be on the left, socialist side for a while....

Ditto-heads And Talkradio

Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:37 am

Ditto-heads from me too.... That just made me think about something- I listen to talkradio stations both of the left- and right-of center. When I listen to rightie hosts like Limbaugh and Medved, I hear all kinds of truly bad things about the Clinton/Gore administration and Al Gore's campaign. BUT when I listen to lefties on the radio, the only thing they can attack the right and Bush for is
1.) They have no fasion sense (what does this have to do with executing the Office of the President of the United States of America?)
2.) They cannot dance (same question)
3.) hmmmmm.....

Those are the only thing I have heard the left attack the right and Bush for.... I think its pathetic. If I was a leftie, I would vote for Bush just because his opponent is INCOMPETENT.

N863DA

Tue Aug 08, 2000 3:05 am

Listen all you European left-wingers;

This is our country; America is different from Europe; Europe is primarily socialist, except the UK thank god, and the US is primarily right-of-center. Bush is an excellent candidate, and to Scotty, William Hague is a hell of a lot more intelligent than Tony Blair or Gordon Brown; (my goodness! An American who knows something about a foreign land... you make it sound like a rarity.)

Socialism is bad, and in this Country, that's the official line. If all you Lefties in Europe don't like our politics (and for what it's worth I don't like your politics either, but I don't go around interfering with it) then stay out and in your own Country.

George Bush is an excellent candidate and Ronald Reagan was one of the best presidents we have seen - along with George Bush Snr. and some others. So get your noses out of our politics when the average American doesn't interfere with yours.

FLY DELTA JETS or US AIRWAYS as they were the official airline of the Republican National Convention, and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

lax2000

Texairport

Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:36 am

You are right, JFK is way overrated. How about greatest since Truman!

Adam..

lax2000

Bush Isn't So Bad

Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:47 am

The only reason I am a little excited about Bush winning is because usually music gets a little better during a republican presideny, because they usually end up pissing all the young people off and it comes out in their music and film.

It will be sort of nice to have something to rebel against besides Dawsons Creek or my parents.

Plus I can start wearing my "Lick Bush" t-shirt again.

Adam

desertjets

This Is Getting Worse

Tue Aug 08, 2000 9:07 am

The first time I get to vote in a Presidential election and my choice are Bush-Chenney and Gore-Lieberman. How depressing is that? Neither party has a message except for the same crap that they spew at each other. It is frustrating for me as an intelligent educated voter to pick one of these two guys to be the leader of the US. What happened to the vision, to the excitement, to their being a point of an election anymore???! There are so many REAL issues out there that need attention that neither party nor the media in its infinite brillance is covering. And the now hundred million plus dollars being spent on this election could have actually gone to something good and meaningful. I as a voter want someone with a message for meaningful change for a better tomorrow (yes as cheesy as it is). But there is nothing there. At this point the only reason to vote is b/c there are important local issues on the ballot.

My other comment. What is wrong with socialism??? Lets not go so far as to call our European neighbors "pinkos" here, it isn't 1957 and they really are not hard line lefties.

Again, vote for Nader in 2000. (Oh, that is also an inside joke among me and some of my friends.) At least he has a message.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Ilyushin96M

Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:03 am

Anyone who says Clinton has been a lousy president should take a good look at our booming economy, THEN try to justify that statement.

Sure, Clinton's morals leave much to be desired, and I don't have one whit of respect for the man. He made a mockery of the office of president. But hey, he isn't any better or worse than any politician I've ever heard of. He just got caught, red-handed, and the results of the scandal prove that Clinton got himself in a position where he is untouchable.

As for Bush vs. Gore...I lean more towards Gore, because he's the least worst choice, if you take my meaning. Somewhat like the choice between Yeltsin and Zhuganov in Russia during the last official election over there.

From what I know of Bush, if he is elected into office, this country will take a huge step backwards, maybe several. We don't NEED to strengthen our military, it's already strong enough. And what's this talk of prayer in school? Not that again. Any candidate for the Whitehouse should leave religion OUT OF IT! No one has the right to enforce their morals on anyone else, let along on an entire country. And then there's the whole "following in my father's footsteps" thing. Overall, Bush rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand...what I know of Gore...is I DON'T know what he stands for. I haven't heard much of anything about that. If he plans to continue whatever policies Clinton implemented to get us where we are today economically, fine. I haven't found any reason NOT to want him in office, but then again, there really aren't any reasons I WOULD want him in office.

I am neither a Democrat, nor a Republican. I simply vote for the candidate who would best serve my country. In this case, the choices are not a very attractive, but if it's Bush vs. Gore, I'd choose Gore.

By the way, if there's a candidate out there who's all for moving more towards socialism - socialised health care, for example - I'd vote for him or her. If we're going to argue about Europe vs. the US here, just look at their social problems vs. ours. You don't hear of children in Europe bringing guns to school and shooting their teachers and fellow students. The European education system is far superior to that in the US, unless you count private schools. And health care...many of the Europeans I know who live in the States choose to get healthcare in their home countries, because they can get quality care for very little money. Here, doctors get rich and people die because they don't have health insurance so that they can get treatment. Though these are just a few examples, there's really nothing WRONG with socialism. It seems to work quite well in Europe - why not here in the US?

Anyway...interesting post. I'm sure it will get even more lively! After all, this is politics.  

IL96M

Peter

Wed Aug 09, 2000 6:56 am

I would give credit for the booming economy to Congress. Congress really has the power, and they should be thanked for economy. Congress can pass laws, not the president. Clinton has been a bad president, and I think that Gore would be just as bad, or worse. And, even if it was Clinton that caused the economy to be this good (and it wasn't), I still disagree strongly with Clinton and Al Gore on some issues. Most importantly, abortion. Others are the Marraige penalty tax and the Strength of the Military.

Its a shame that Clinton wasn't removed from office. He deserved it, for LYING UNDER OATH, to a GRAND JURY. I just hope that Bush wins.

travelin man

Wed Aug 09, 2000 7:46 am

So far, from reading all of these posts, the only reasons people have stated for NOT voting for Al Gore is:
- He's boring
- They hate Clinton

Guess what, folks? Al Gore is NOT Clinton! He did "not have sexual relations with that woman." Do you UNDERSTAND this?

Al Gore is by far the best choice for the presidency in an election that, frankly, does not excite me all that much. Issues that are important to me:

1. Environmental protection: No contest. Bush is so in cahoots with the damn oil companies that Texas is now the dirtiest state in the union (in terms of air and water). He has displayed NO caring for our environment, and would probably sell his soul to an oil company for a big campaign contribution. Al Gore has consistently demonstrated the willingness to protect our environment. For all you Conservatives: Our Environment is the place where your precious children and grandchildren will have to grow up in. Would you like it to be the smoggiest city in America, Houston?

2. Economic conditions: Again, it's hard to argue with 8 years of economic growth (a record). I'm not saying the President has a lot to do with this. But why not pay down our debt while we can???? Rather than giving it away in huge tax cuts? I do believe Clinton should sign the death tax law, which I believe is unfair double taxation. But Bush basically promised everything for everybody, without even saying how he'd do it: Better education, more jobs, lower taxes, blah blah blah. Are you better off than you were 8 years ago?? I sure as hell am. And I bet even you Conservatives would have to agree with that.

3. Social liberalism: Do you ever notice how Conservatives just LOVE to say they want big government out of your life? EXCEPT when it comes to your personal life? Abortion: Government should have a say. Homosexuality: Government should have a say. Prayer in schools: Government should have a say. Frankly, I am sick of the Government trying to interfere with MY life. If I want to get married to my "partner", I should be able to. To you Conservatives: A marriage is a government backed civil ceremony, not a religious ceremony. But no, I can't, because, the government said so! Give me a break, an election for Bush just means more government intrusion into my personal life. Now, doesn't everybody want that?

So, I realize I've pissed off a lot of you "ditto heads" who can do nothing but parrot Rush Limbaugh. Thank you for saying you would rather I be dead, by the way. Like Hamlet69, this merely confirms that I am voting for the correct choice when I choose Gore. And for you Conservatives, just think about it this way: my vote will be cancelling out yours.

Happy Election!

nwa man

Wed Aug 09, 2000 8:21 am

First off...
Texairport, I agree with you. JFK didn't really have a legacy. What's JFK now? An airport.

Partial birth abortion...
The only reason Clinton didn't sign the ban into law is because it is only performed when the life of the mother is in danger. It's not because he's a monster and a horrible person...

Clinton's legacy...
Bill has not been a bad president. If he just would have kept his johnson in his pants, then his legacy would have been wonderful. However, he still has several proud moments to reflect on, like his crusade for peace in the Middle East, the surplus, and the Family and Medical leave act, among others.

Hypocrisy at its finest...
I think it's funny that the Republicans like to bash Clinton for having a "lack of moral character" when they have just finished nominating for president a man who spent most of the 1960s and 1970s snorting coke and dancing naked in bars. Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather have a president who says "I didn't inhale" instead of "I only did one or two lines a night."

Just my 0.02...

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

sn330

Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:32 am

I personally would rather see John McCain or Colin Powell in the White House rather than Al "the snore/the bore" Gore or George W. "I am just running on my father's reputation" Bush.
It would take me an enormous time to list why I hate both Gore and Bush, and thus that is why I am leaving it at that.

MCCAIN/POWELL 2004!

blink182

Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:39 am

"gee... come on, you got 2 guyd who will put you to sleep but with one guy-you will wake up!"--jay leno
he is right, i would rather have MCcain be in the oval office but if i had to choose, i would choose a guy who doesn't put people to death every night, plus with a jewish vice president, i hope it helps gore win so i am sortta cheering for gore.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

nwa man

Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:14 pm

I agree 100%, Blink182 and Sn330...either of those honorable men would be an excellent choice. I guess the Republicans couldn't stretch their "inclusion" acts far enough to include men who would easily win the election.

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

cba

The Next Pres

Wed Aug 09, 2000 6:06 pm

I have read all of the posts concerning this issue, and I have this to say.
QUIT ACTING LIKE BUSH WILL RESTORE MORALS TO THE WHITEHOUSE! You republicans act like all demorcrats have no morals. I agree with Travelin Man, you only say that Clinton is bad, and Gore is boring. So what if Gore's boring! He has more morals than Bush, who is:
A) Dumb
B) Incapable of saying anything that makes political sense
C) immoral
D) an imposter

Bush is just like a mini-me of his dad, some oil tycoon who did nothing for our country. And don't believe Bush's crap about better schools, I attend a public school in Texas, and things have gotten worse ever since Bush became governor. Look at Texas, what do you see? A polluted, redneck oil state that executes more prisoners (some of them are innocent) than all of the other states combined. I think Texas is up to 30 something this year. That's about 3 a month!

Gore and Leiberman are the future of this country. Gore will continue with Clinton's plans to better our country, and negotiate peace in the middle east, while at the same time, restoring integrity to the white house. Remember, Gore didn't have a drug problem, Bush did, and Bush's dad got George Jr. of the mess.

Hole_Courtney

Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:06 pm

I read an interesting article on www.issues2000.com

Here is a quote about drug use by Al Gore: "I did smoke marijuana, just like all teenagers do."

Don't ridicule one moron if the other is just as bad.

Also, Gore went to Vietnam with bodyguards and the like. So, they're both screwed when it comes to Vietnam.

Bush & Gore = suck

WHERE'S MCCAIN!??!?!!!!?!??!!??!
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

cba

Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:54 am

I don't care if Bush and Gore did drugs, I can't stand how he claims he will bring integrity back to the whitehouse, and he acts like he never did drugs. At least Gore admitted it.

I do agree with you about a crappy election this year. I'm a democrat, and I like Mc Cain. I think he would make a good president. Gore won't do a bad job, he'll basically do what Clinton did (minus the affairs), and Bush will do nothing but lower taxes for his friends in the oil business.

cwapilot

RE: WAKE-UP Call

Thu Aug 10, 2000 10:29 am

Here is my attempt, as somebody who actually WORKS in the realm of politics, and in the United States at that, to respond to the crap that I have been reading in this thread. I would also refer you to my other thread "What I Hate and Love About the USA". I will go point by point.

1. The "European Perspective"-- I happen to read the commentary and news in foreign media. Based on the reports contained therein, I have to say, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW?? The Indonesian media seem to have a better handle on the American political situation than our closest bretheren in the world, the British. You obviously know nothing of George W. Bush, his accomplishments, or his policies. Dumb? I think not! "Dumb as Ronald Reagan????" You can only HOPE to be as intelligent as Ronald Reagan. Again, you people like to generalize about the stupid Americans...I guess I can be just as ignorant and point to the state of British dental hygene as testimony to the failure of nationalized healthcare! (That, and my favorite, Mad Cow Disease! lol)

2. George Jr and George Sr.-- There is only one "Jr." in this race, and that is Albert Gore, Jr, son of Sen. Albert Gore, Sr. The elder Bush is George H. W. Bush. The current candidate is George W. Bush. Minor point, but nonetheless, annoying.

3. Our current economic boom-- In short, Clinton/Gore has had NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING to do with it! This will take a bit of fact recall, kids, so bear with me. Bill Clinton was elected in November of 1992. The current economic boom began in March 1992, May 1992 at the latest. George H. W. Bush was the President. Billy Jeff Clinton then took power in January of 1993, with a Democrat-controlled Senate and House. He was remarkably unsuccessful in getting ONE SINGLE ITEM of his election year agenda passed, except for some items which caused an economic downturn more severe, yet shorter lived, than the one attributed to George H. W. Bush. Now, in 1994, a miracle of miracles happened, as I helped unseat a 35 year veteran Democrat from my House district...a trend that occurred nation-wide, it turns out, and the good guys had control of the House and Senate! Now, for our foreign guests, the President can only suggest bills and sign bills into law. Constitutionally, they are only supposed to veto a bill of they feel it is unconstitutional. However, as we know, Billy Jeff has become the veto king, an expert at ignoring the will of the people as voiced through their elected representatives. So here we are, in the year 2000, and all Clinton has been able to do is sign various Republican measures into law, which have done nothing but contribute and safeguard this economy. Alan Greenspan, you say? He is a Republican.

4. The Vision Thing-- People on the inside, people who pay attention to what really happens as opposed to what the likes of Dan Rather tell them to believe, people who think for themselves like Americans used to, on both sides of this campaign, clearly see the vision thing alive and well. Republicans and the fabled "Reagan Democrats" who now like to be known as independents, were energized by Bush's acceptance speech. The Gipper is back! Democrats are panicing because they have not seen anything like it...not since 1980, that is! The problem is, people don't know enough about our history and the development of our political philosphy to comprehend the importance of these debates. It all seems boring. Suggestion: read up on our history, read the Federalist Papers, and the response to the Federalist Papers, then listen to Bush's speech. You'll be excited as well. Not only that, but when you go back to our roots, you will see why it is not American to be a liberal!

5. Clinton and Kennedy-- I agree, Clinton is the greates President since Kennedy...in their own league. Neither accomplished anything positive, and what they did accomplish led to (or will lead to in Slickster's case) disaster. The inability to keep one's unit in one's drawers common to both needs not be restated.

6. Bush and 'Gravitas'-- 'Gravitas', or the lack thereof, is a term tossed around quite a bit lately by Democratic pundits when they speak of Gov. Bush. Nevermind the fact that the typical union thug Democrat voter does not know what it means, they have used it quite a bit. In short, they are saying the Gov. does not have the ability to lead in the position of a Chief Executive. He seems to have done a better job in Texas than most other governors are able to do in their states, and much, much better than Clinton/Gore have with the Congress, even in their first 2 years when THEY controlled both chambers. People quickly forget that Texas would be the 9th largest economy in the world if an independent nation. Gov. Bush has dealt with the Mexican government extensively. We also forget that the current First Penis was the Gov. of Arkansas...okay...Texas....Arkansas.....which do you think is a harder job? They also love Bush in Texas and despie Clinton (and his "wife") in Arkansas. The only foreign policy assignment Gore has not screwed up is accepting Chinese campaign contributions. That huge mess of a backlog we call the Immigration and Naturalization Service...that was Algore's to fix. (Ditto-heads will appreciate my transition to the proper spelling of Al Gore's name!) Remember way back when a certain airport was under siege, and suddenly the Russians took control out from underneath us? (See the CNN archives.) Algore said he had everything under control...Who, then, lacks 'gravitas'? Algore may have had more White House experience, but it was with THIS White House, of which we need no more. IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO GO!

If I decide I have missed anything, I'll post an addendum. Quit watching the news on TV and pick up a good journal or newspaper. Stop allowing David Letterman to form your impressions of the candidates. In other words, get up off your arses and do your homework before you make your comments. I personally worked with George W. Bush's campaign from the very day he officially announced in Des Moines, IA, in April of 1999. He is the only candidate for any type of office that I have worked for or against, at any level, that has shown this much energy and enthusiasm. The events I saw him at, he stayed, to the dismay of his staff who had to keep him on schedule, until he talked to every last person present. When people asked him questions, even in a hostile manner, he talked to them, person to person, and they came away feeling valued. I even saw him stare down a CNN cameraman pushing a little 6 year old kid out of the way to get a better shot of him! That's why people in Texas love him (the only Texas gov. to be re-elected! ever!), that's why the people of the US are flocking to him...and the Europeans...who the hell cares. At least I know he won't pander to the UN nor the EU.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

N863DA

RE: Cwapilot

Thu Aug 10, 2000 12:40 pm

AMEN CWAPILOT!!!!

Finally someone with sense.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Peter

Thu Aug 10, 2000 1:24 pm

I agree completely Cwapilot . That is one of the best things I've read in a while.

Thu Aug 10, 2000 1:33 pm

I would have to vote for Al Gore if I could vote! George W. Bush has these sneaky looking eyes and seems to be hiding something from us. Just my opinion!!

TurboTristar

nwa man

RE: Hole_Courtney

Thu Aug 10, 2000 2:01 pm

Cocaine and marijuana are in two different leagues...
Create your own luck.

cwapilot

RE: Addendum

Fri Aug 11, 2000 2:56 am

Cocaine and Marijuana-- George W. Bush has not done cocaine. Why didn't he just answer the question then, you ask? Pure and simple-to keep this campaugn on the high road. It would have been one thing if a bunch of witnesses surfaced and accused him of doing cocaine. None did. The Democrats, ever since he first ran for governor 6 years ago, have been trying to dig up dirt on him like that and have failed. Even Clinton's main henchman, Mr. Carville, told them to give it a rest...it was no use. The fact is, Democrat spinsters started floating a rumor intending to damage or destroy Bush's career. They even enlisted the campaign of a certain Republican candidate, Steve Forbes (remember him...wonder why you never see him anymore?) to further the rumor. Then they expect Bush to respond to it. Well, he refused on principle, and the ststistics at the time showed that a vast majority of the people approved of the way he handled it. Algore, on the other hand, blatantly offered up the fact that he had smoked pot. But, who cares??

Fri Aug 11, 2000 5:25 am

This is Ilyushin96M's post with my comments added after ">".

Anyone who says Clinton has been a lousy president should take a good look at our booming economy, THEN try to justify that statement.

Sure, Clinton's morals leave much to be desired, and I don't have one whit of respect for the man. He made a mockery of the office of president. But hey, he isn't any better or worse than any politician I've ever heard of. He just got caught, red-handed,
>Breaking the law, too
and the results of the scandal prove that Clinton got himself in a position where he is untouchable.

As for Bush vs. Gore...I lean more towards Gore, because he's the least worst choice, if you take my meaning. Somewhat like the choice between Yeltsin and Zhuganov in Russia during the last official election over there.

From what I know of Bush, if he is elected into office, this country will take a huge step backwards, maybe several. We don't NEED to strengthen our military, it's already strong enough.
>Why dont you talk to a few members of our nations military and ask them what Clinton/Gore has done to it. Their state of readiness is PITIFUL.
And what's this talk of prayer in school? Not that again. Any candidate for the Whitehouse should leave religion OUT OF IT!
>Hmmm... Lieberman a few days ago was giving a speech in which he mentioned "God" on average every 6.9 seconds. I have no problem with it, but he isnt leaving his religion out of it is he? If Bush would have done that, there would have been UPROAR!
No one has the right to enforce their morals on anyone else, let along on an entire country.
>Very True.
And then there's the whole "following in my father's footsteps" thing. Overall, Bush rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand...what I know of Gore...is I DON'T know what he stands for. I haven't heard much of anything about that. If he plans to continue whatever policies Clinton implemented to get us where we are today economically, fine. I haven't found any reason NOT to want him in office, but then again, there really aren't any reasons I WOULD want him in office.
>No one will know what he believes.. he changes his mask everytime you turn around... speaking of changing masks, Lieberman did just that after joining the ticket. When asked whether Senator Lieberman still supports school vouchers and privatizing social security, a Lieberman advisor said, "not anymore." NOT ANYMORE. Not that he is working for Gore now.... Seems as though he is putting loyalty ahead of ethics. Do we really want that type of person in office?

I am neither a Democrat, nor a Republican. I simply vote for the candidate who would best serve my country. In this case, the choices are not a very attractive, but if it's Bush vs. Gore, I'd choose Gore.

By the way, if there's a candidate out there who's all for moving more towards socialism - socialised health care, for example - I'd vote for him or her.
>WHAT?!?! Are you SERIOUS?!
If we're going to argue about Europe vs. the US here, just look at their social problems vs. ours. You don't hear of children in Europe bringing guns to school and shooting their teachers and fellow students.
>That is the price of FREEDOM, something Europeans are not familiar with.
The European education system is far superior to that in the US, unless you count private schools.
>So why not use school vouchers? Gore is against those..
And health care...many of the Europeans I know who live in the States choose to get healthcare in their home countries, because they can get quality care for very little money.
>In the Socialist nations I have been to, health care is terrible... they have absolutly NO control...
Here, doctors get rich and people die because they don't have health insurance so that they can get treatment. Though these are just a few examples, there's really nothing WRONG with socialism. It seems to work quite well in Europe - why not here in the US?
>Because the US has FREEDOMS -N766AS

Anyway...interesting post. I'm sure it will get even more lively! After all, this is politics.

IL96M

RE:

Fri Aug 11, 2000 5:36 am

Why dont we have their palms read and base our votes on that... That is pitiful that the reason that you wouldnt vote for his is the look in his eyes... Its what is BETWEEN the eyes that really matters.

cwapilot

RE: Addendum II

Fri Aug 11, 2000 8:13 am

America Violent/Europe and everywhere else Peaceful-- I don't even have to go on and on about what a load this is! First off, in the states where concealed weapons permits have been issued, violent crime (including assaults, rapes and killings) has gone down. George Bush's brother, the Governor of Florida, witnessed a dramatic drop in the violent crime rate there when he allowed concealed weapon permits. All so-called gun control laws do is put further burdens on law abiding citizens. It also empowers criminals and the state versus the citizenry. If a criminal wants a gun, he is not going to walk into a gun store and go through a background check! He is going to go purchase a weapon from the back of a van in an alley, smuggled in from one of these supposedly peaceful countries. How many more laws stating that it is illegal for kids to purchase and possess hanguns do we need? One is enough...and they don't work any better when there are 12. Secondly, a gun is a tool. It is a weapon. I can use my laptop computer as a weapon. The problem here is that our left-leaning media tend to cover events to the detriment of society, only to help their bottom line. They produced a lot of copy cat school shootings with their sensationalized coverage of Columbine. Waas it in Finland where a gunamn held teachers and children in a preschool hostage? That's Europe, if I recall. In Japan, the weapon if choice among school children seems to be knives. On a single day a few months ago, there were two separate incidents of a student holding hostages at knife-point and/or stabbing people. Japan is in Asia, isn't it?

The difference, again, is that we in the United States open our living room to the entire world, and foreigners, especially Europeans for some reason, feel they are entitled to comment and criticize and bash us, while they circle the wagons when we try to comment on them. Kinda rediculous if you ask me.

George W. Bush will protect our right to protect ourselves, our homes and our families against criminals and against a potentially tyrannical government. That is the uniqe thing about America...government here was formulated to be as minimal as possible...a neccessary evil. As one noted political philosopher, and Englishman I believe, espoused this arrangement, acknowledging that men are not "angels." At the same time, the government should be controlled by the people, not the other way around. Read the Declaration of Independence for further information...Europeans should be especially interested, as it states exactly why our Founding Fathers decided to break free from the Old World.

deltairlines

Sat Aug 12, 2000 2:04 am

I hope it ain't Al Gore. Go BUSH!!!!

Jeff

Sat Aug 12, 2000 10:37 am

Go Bush!!!!!

Sat Aug 12, 2000 12:02 pm

I was for Gary Bauer...If he won, he would have been the first troll president.

Peter

Sat Aug 12, 2000 1:01 pm

Before he pulled out, I was for Gary Bauer, but Bush is the next best.

nwa man

RE: Cwapilot/Cocaine And Marijuana

Sat Aug 12, 2000 1:49 pm

Cwapilot--
I remember several months ago what Bush said. A reporter asked him if he had ever used cocaine, and Bush said "I could pass the FBI background test." That test asks "Have you used any illegal substance within the past seven years?" I would hardly call "I could pass the FBI background test" a resounding no. Why didn't Bush just say "no" or "never"? I think the answer to this question is right before all of our eyes.

NWA Man

Create your own luck.

cwapilot

RE: Cwapilot/Cocaine And Marijuana

Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:41 am

Funny how when, the next day, the poll came out indicating, to the Democrats' (and Steve Forbes') dismay that upwards of 75% approved of the way Bush handled the situation, it quickly went away and was never heard of again. The point is, nobody has any business floating rumors like that with no substantiation and then demand answers, as if there was some sort of smoking gun. What would have been next?? Illegitimate children in foreign countries....A secret porn empire? The fact is, those people take things like that as far as they are allowed to and drag the election debate into the sewer. Bush simply stopped them in their tracks. By answering that he could pass the FBI background test, he was simply saying that, unless there is some evidence (and credible at that) I am not going to let you destroy my career by maligning my personal life. If some woman came forward and said "He raped me" then there would be questions to answer.

They had been attempting to dig stuff like that up on him for almost a decade now, and have come up dry...even Clinton henchman James Carville, who even said there is nothing on this guy and suggested they give it up...if you know who Carville is, you will know the significance of that. They even tried to get old drinking buddies to say that THEY had done cocaine with Bush in the room, and they still came up empty. Most people have accepted that there is nothing there...move on!