tim

Pentium 4 Processors

Fri Sep 01, 2000 5:58 pm

Is it true that there is now a Pentium 4 processor? My mate told me it is out or has been made by intel.
I havent seen it on the web yet.

Cheers
Tim

Perth

RE: Pentium 4 Processors

Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:04 pm

yes intel unveiled it at a trade show recetnly. it's not available just yet.

killjoy

Sat Sep 02, 2000 2:13 am

Check out www.theregister.co.uk for more info. (Others too, but I can't remember any more links)

flyf15

Sat Sep 02, 2000 2:52 am

I believe they cranked a 1.6Ghz or maybe it was 1.5..dont remember) model up to 2002Mhz (!!!) for a demonstration.

tim

Sat Sep 02, 2000 7:13 am

Thanks guys!

It must be an awesome processor.

Cheers
Tim

Australia

777LR

Sat Sep 02, 2000 11:02 am

Its coming out in November and yes it will kick ass.

bombstar

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:58 am

so many processors these days, so hard to keep track of them all..... I think the AMD duron was recently released on the retail market, does anyone have information on this?

desertjets

Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:59 am

Is this the chip that was known as the Merced chip???

2002mhz... who the hell needs a processor that fast??! My K6-2 350 (gasp that is so slow) does perfectly fine.

Unless you are mating them up to super fast system buses... 200mhz+, super fast memory, super fast hdd, super fast everything it is like dropping an LS1 V8 in a Vega... no wait that would actually be cool. But you get my point.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Sun Sep 03, 2000 7:18 am

killjoy

DesertJets

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:22 pm

No, it's not the Merced. That's a 64-bit chip and is still in development. It's Willamette that Intel is releasing now.

And regarding your K6-2 350, that's not enough for anything except word processing nowadays. Even my PIII667 has trouble running FS2k...

More power is always good. Personally I won't be happy until I can encode DVD-quality MPEG2 in realtime  

Sun Sep 03, 2000 7:07 pm

I have a 677mhz. that is plenty fast. and is really worth probably paying double for somthing you really dont need?

desertjets

Mon Sep 04, 2000 12:08 am

350mhz slow... I remember when I got this machine it was a screamer, I went from a 486 DX2-66 mind you, but still. But FS2K is very graphics intensive and requires a lot of processing power and a high power graphics engine to really run it efficiently.

Ultimately what is driving the processor speeds up is software... mostly games. I can still use Photoshop really well on my Dell PII 350 at work, and the PII 233 does a pretty good job with Win 98SE and Office 2k.

But to really gain the most out of a 2ghz machine they must be designing superfast chipsets and memory to go with it. The fastest memory and system buses out there for PCs that I have seen are in the 133mhz to 166mhz range, though G4 Macs put that to shame with even faster bus speeds.

Though I suppose in a year or two when I graduate college I will appreciate my brand new super fast Dell notebook.  
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

cba

Mon Sep 04, 2000 1:53 am

I heard that IBM is working on a new kind of processor using a different kind on transistor. Right now, our current transistors are either on (1), or off (0). IBM is researching a variable transistor that would have more than just the 0 and 1 settings. It's supposed to increase the speed exponentially.

killjoy

Buses Etc. (DesertJets)

Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:30 pm

First of all, I'm using Paint Shop Pro 7 beta 3 on my machine right now, and I'm getting very annoyed at the time it takes for some operations to complete even with my 667MHz PIII. Thus, I kinda doubt that your PII350 runs Photoshop "really well". But then again, maybe I'm just impatient.   And regarding FS2k, if those graphics require that much power, we need *more* than 2GHz if we want to be satisfied.

When the 2GHz-processors actually enter the market, they *will* have faster chipsets and memory buses available. RAMBUS was a step in the right direction, even if all its problems have made it a complete joke.

As a sidenote, the G4's bus speeds may be higher, but if they keep messing up with their processors they will unavoidably fall behind in speed. (their claims about G4's being faster than x86's at the same clock speeds are true, but they're not as much faster as Apple is trying to get us to believe).

And, like I already said, I won't be happy until I can encode DVD-quality MPEG2 in realtime.  

BTW, I'm not limited by something else and confusing it with the CPU speed. I have 256MB of RAM and a Matrox Millennium G400MAX. The rest isn't really relevant for this...