Skyteam

Houston Texans!

Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:48 am

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!! Houston finally got an NFL Franchise again. Their name is the Houston Texans (www.houstontexans.com)

GO TEXANS!!!!!

SKYTEAM

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Houston Texans!

Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:53 am

while reading the cnnsi.com article, it informed me that it will bring football back to Texas' largest city. I had no idea Houston was. Is this in population (I assume) or in land area? I thought Dallas was bigger, after all, it has teams for all four major sports (stars, cowboys, mavericks, rangers) and Houston has two teams (soon to be three, right now the Rockets and the Astros). So is Houston largest in Pop or land area? and why does dallas have twice the sports team in a sports crazed state?

seven_fifty7

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:04 am

The what?

What an incredibly STUPID name for a sports team! Who thought of that s***? ...the owner's six year-old daughter? ...No, I bet it was probably the same people who came up with the new Delta livery.

Kewl. I can just see the trend developing. Why, just the other day, I heard Joe Steinbrenner announce he's changing the name of the New York Yankees to the (surprise)... NEW YORK NEW YORKERS!

Give me a freakin' break!

Louis

What About LA?

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:21 am

there are almost 16 million people in the LA metro area and they don't have a team. This is an absolute crime!

Skyteam

757/Louis

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:33 am

Hey 757, That was about the stupidest comment I have ever seen!!!!! You are so immature

Louis, I totally agree wit you!!!!!!!!! L.A. Deserves a team more than any other city

SKYTEAM

Trvlr

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:39 am

That's what LA gets for stealing San Diego's basketball team a few decades ago!! How well the Clippers have been doing lately, though, should be a punishment in itself. 

I don't think it would be good for LA to have a sports team because that plays outside because all of the players would get sick from the smog (LA was just renamed the smoggiest city in the nation)  

Aaron G.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:57 am

ehh, seven_fifty7, you are immature, AND do some research. In the early days of football, there were the Dallas Texans, a beloved team in Texas. Well, they were moved to KC and named the chiefs. Just like the Cleveland Browns (I am surprised you dont go on and on about what a "brown" is) who lost their team several years ago, only to have it back now. The Houston Texan story is the same thing, only it took longer, and Houston needed a team, not Dallas.

sammyk

Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:37 am

Doesn't Los Angeles have:

LA Dodgers
LA Kings
LA Lakers

I know you lost the Rams...but that just leaves you shy of one of the four sport franchises right?

According to what was said above, Houston only had NBA, and MLB franchises...so now who deserves it more?

Sammy

P.S. I would've preferred Houston get an NHL team instead  

TWFirst

Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:38 am

The Texans logo is way cool.

I like the name, although I thought the 'Stallions' would have been cool (one of the other choices).

The NFL already has plenty of horse mascots though (Broncos, Colts).

BTW, 'Stallions' was going to be St. Louis' name if they got an expansion team back in '93. The team went to Jacksonville instead.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

seven_fifty7

Fri Sep 08, 2000 12:30 pm

The name IS stupid! I don't give a @#$%& if the "early days of football" had the "Texarkana Texans!" It's stupid, stupid, stupid!

And as for DeltaRNOdc10 (or whatever the hell you call yourself), *I* need to do some research??? ...Aren't YOU the one who thought "Dallas is way bigger than Houston?" I thought every geography idiot from the 4th grade knew that Houston is #4 sizewise in the nation. What the hell does *size* of a city have to do with having a pro sports team anyway?

And as for the Cleveland Browns, I bet that team's name derived from the color of horse manure. -Of which stinks just like the city of Cleveland itself. Sounds logical to me.

NEW YORK ROX, BABY!!!!

Fri Sep 08, 2000 6:21 pm

The Houston Longhorns should be more like it. What's with the Logo?

I would have preferred the Houston Toros (Bad News Bears), they already have the "toro" on the helmet, or the Houston Apollos (Comets, Rockets, Astros...).

Houston will also be getting a Hockey team very soon, don't know the name though.

Trvlr

Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:16 pm

"I thought every geography idiot from the 4th grade knew that Houston is #4 sizewise in the nation"

hahahahahahah!! You need to do some research on what students actually know these days!

Aaron G.

cba

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:25 am

TO CLEAR THINGS UP:

1. Houston is bigger than Dallas. It's the 4th largest city in the nation (NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston).

The logo and colors look nice, but the name sucks. The Apollos sounds too much like the Titan, the Stallions sounds too much like the Broncos.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:50 am

yes, Trvlr is right. AND I didnt display ignorance when I admitted I didnt know a Houston was bigger than Dallas. Yet you displayed outright ignorance, in your feeble knowledge of football (MOST 4TH GRADERS KNOW!!!) you blasted an organization and two teams (texans and browns) of which you know NOTHING about. I am not the one who was ignorant, and I didnt respond like a fourth grader either.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 09, 2000 4:13 am

BTW, that last post was to Seven_sentvy8 or whatever your name is.

sn330

Sat Sep 09, 2000 6:42 am

Good logo, dumb name. Also, Houston is not going to get an NHL team. NHL has overexpansion as it is, and have you seen the sheet of ice the Aeros play on? It is almost concrete. If the NHL thinks Reunion is bad because of humidity, Houston will be 10 times as worse.
Also the Cleveland Browns got their name from the last name of one of the original owners.
Why i think the name Houston Wildcatters would have been more appropriate as that is a true texas term, also it would be an orginal name; but the Bull logo does look neat.

USAirways737

Sat Sep 09, 2000 6:57 am

I agree SN330, dumb name, good logo.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:12 am

I wouldnt have liked Apollos much, I like Stallions, though. I wonder what division they will play in. Probably AFC West, if they dont reallign the whole league. AFC Central, where the Oilers were, has 6 teams, the most for any division in the NFL. Every other team has 5 except for the AFC West which has the Broncos, Raiders, Chargers and Seahawks. So my bet is the AFC West.

cba

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:29 am

Actually, the NFL wants to rearrange the league so the Texans will play in a conference with the Steelers (old Oilers-Steelers rivlary), and the Titans, along with a few others.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:55 am

yep, as I said, they will probably be in the AFC West if the league doesnt reallign the divisions which means rearranging the teams into divisions and conferences with favorable matchups.

seven_fifty7

Apologies To The Mistake On The Lake

Sat Sep 09, 2000 9:12 am

My apologies go all out to the residents of Cleveland for my above derogatory remarks about that town. I actually think Cleveland is a decent place.

The nasty SKYTEAM guy and the little DeltaRNO-L1011 character started ganging up on me for no reason. I felt had no choice but to defend myself against such unwarrranted abuse.

I think I'll take the 'better man' approach and just ignore such hostilities from now on.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 09, 2000 10:37 am

can you read? you are not much of an aviation enthusiast if you cant tell the difference between an md-80, a DC-10, and an L1011. This is sad..... We didnt start 'ganging up' on you. You blasted the Texans, and then the Browns, we simply defended the teams. If you call someone pulling out a gun on a burglar for self defense "Ganging up" on him, then you need help.

seven_fifty7

Sat Sep 09, 2000 10:17 pm

DeltaRNOmd-11:

Little one, I pretty much can tell the difference between any commercial airliner, I'm sure better than you. The only "differences" I can't tell is whether you're a simple jackass, or tempermental numbskull. It probably doesn't matter, because you're clearly both.

I can't believe I even wasted my keystrokes responding to your juvenile diatribes. In my opinion, I think you need to be deleted from the club because you apparently cannot control your emotions.

You'll no longer get a response from me again, as I have already mistakenly stooped down to your level one time too many.

Grow up.

RE: Seven_fifty7

Sun Sep 10, 2000 1:45 am

I happen to live in Texas. There's nothing wrong with their football name.

RE: Seven_fifty7

Sun Sep 10, 2000 1:50 am

YOUR FAT ASS NEEDS TO BE BANNED!!!!!

Delta-777XXX KICKS ASS!!!!!
DeltaRNOmd-80 KICKS ASS!!!!!

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Sep 10, 2000 3:34 am

Thanks for the support. Nobody agrees with you, Seven_fifty7, I cannot believe you insulted the fans of Cleveland and Houston the way you did. You cannot get me banned, as I have done nothing wrong. Most people would think YOU should be banned. There are many posts in the Civ Av and Non Av forum by people who dislike you.

USAirways737

Sun Sep 10, 2000 3:45 am

I dont want to say Im defending seven_fifty7 but think about it for a minute. The Browns, what does that represent? Now the Vikings, It is well known there are a lot of Norwegians in Minnesota. The Texans, its not as bad as the Browns because it represents something, Texas, but it seems too simple, now the Texas LongHorns would have been a good name, it's both representing and fitting to the state of Texas.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Sep 10, 2000 3:49 am

Longhorns is already taken, by the University of Texas Longhorns.

Pbb152

Sun Sep 10, 2000 11:20 am

Everybody needs to relax! I'm from Houston, but I don't take offense to what SEVEN_FIFTY7 says. Let him have his opinion. Maybe he could express it in a bit more formal way, but what do you expect? He's from New York where almost everyone has a bad attitude. I can't possibly explain to someone from NY why we in Houston and much of Texas take great pride in the name Texans for our football team. That is because most New Yorker's are transplants who have no clue about state pride. We native Texans are extremely proud of our history, and the bravery represented by past Texans at the Alamo and the Battle of San Jacinto. Many people around the country consider Texans smug and arrogant, but it is more pride than anything else.

As for SEVEN_FIFTY7, what kind of team names are the Knickerbockers, Metropolitans, Islanders, Giants? And if New Yorkers are so original, why did both the Jets and Giants revert to old uniform styles that really suck? I think you've been stuck in that concrete jungle for too long pal. New York is the armpit of the Earth!

Pete

seven_fifty7

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:22 pm

Thanks for your sharing your (mean) opinion Pbb152. I, too, think a lot of our fellow forum members are too uptight and need to relax. As for the disparaging remarks about the Big Apple, well what can I say? --We're used to them and have heard them all.

But everyone, Just FYI: I'm NOT from New York. I was born in Boston. Nonetheless...

BEANTOWN ROCKS, BABY!

P.S. Can you imagine the Boston Celtics renamed "the Boston Massachussettsians?" Well, I guess that sounds just as good as the (hehe, the "Texas Texans." Hehe)

cba

Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:21 am

Ok, we get the point, the name the Texans isn't that great. But as a Houstonian, I really don't care. I'm just glad we have a football team now  . I don't care if they're named the Houston Jackasses.

I do agree that some people here get too uptight sometimes, but Seven_Fifty7, try not to make such nasty comments (like the one about Cleveland), they can really offend people.

Pbb152

Wed Sep 13, 2000 10:08 am

Actually SEVEN_FIFTY7, let me apologize for the remarks I made about NY. I have a grandmother, aunt, and uncle who live in Queens, but personally I don't like NYC. To someone who has grown up in a city and state with a lot of wide open space, that city is just too crowded and hectic. Not to say Houston doesn't have its share of problems, including traffic, but I unfortunately reverted to insults like many of the immature people on this forum when someone disagrees with them. Definite party foul on my part. NY does have many great qualities including diehard fans who are very supportive of their teams. I guess the main thing I wanted to express is that while the name Texans may seem silly and trite to you and most other forum members, it is nothing like the Miami Floridians, etc. Other citizens may love the state they reside in, but Texans are truly proud of where they come from. The name Texans not only represents the present-day residents, but the proud heritage of our state. This is not meant to be an insult to anyone, but I can understand why you don't know the pride we take in our past. The name hasn't totally caught on here in Houston either. From polls I've seen so far, the name has about a 67% approval rating, but the logo has been almost completely approved. It's obvious we have different opinions SEVEN_FIFTY7, but I apologize for not respecting yours. But, like I said, maybe you could express it differently. And respect that not everyone thinks like you do. BTW, believe it or not, I'd like to see the Mets kick the crap out of the Braves for the NL East title. Mike Hampton is the man. And for the Bostonian in you, I think Carl Everett was the biggest loss for the Astros this year. Take it easy!

Pete

seven_fifty7

Wed Sep 13, 2000 7:27 pm

Thanks Pbb152.

RE: SEVEN_FIFTY7

Thu Sep 14, 2000 6:53 am

Do you think that most people became a fan of a temn just because of their name???? IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE NAME IS, WHAT MATTERS IS HOW THE TEAM PLAYS!

Stop all this BS about the name of team. So, would you like me to write a letter to the team stating your inconvienence? I'm sure many people care about your useless thought of the team. Don't come complaining in this forum with your sh*t, and you wonder why many people don't like you around here? THINK ABOUT IT!

sammyk

Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:16 am

Name and image have a lot to do with the popularity of a team. Why do you think teams change names, or logos, etc.? So yes, the name DOES matter.

Sammy

cba

Thu Sep 14, 2000 12:27 pm

I disagree. C'mon, there are tons of stupid names. The Packers are a popular team, and look at their name. They're named after cheese for cyring out loud! But that doesn't matter, they have a nice logo, nice colors, and they where a great team a few years ago, and that's all that matters. I'm just happy that Houston has a football team. And I do agree with Pbb152, the Astros should not have gotten rid of Everett.

seven_fifty7

Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:06 pm

Boeing 747-400 wrote:

"Stop all the BS about the name of team."
--------------------------

Listen, my illiterate friend. Haven't you noticed I haven't posted anything about the name of your hometown's new team since Sept. 8th? Today is now the 14th. We've stopped a long time ago, mister johnny-come-lately. Where have you been? Sleeping among your town's vast tumbleweeds?

As far as me "wondering why no one likes" me, what gave you that idea that I've been wondering that? Do I look like I give a rat's ass who in here doesn't "like" me? FYI: I don't spend my days and nights wondering if your miserable butt approves of me or not.

I mean really. Am I missing out on some cash prize based on popularity or somethin'? Get off of it, creep.

SEVEN_FIFTY7

Fri Sep 15, 2000 7:58 am

Just shut up and dont make any more rude or mean comments, Bartender!

Fri Sep 15, 2000 8:10 am

My towns back tumbleweeds, eh? You are an asshole, SEVENFIFTY7!

Austin happens to be a great city, moron!

It doesn't matter when I post responses to you (DUH!)

I don't care what you do with your days, but what I do when I'm on these forums is try to not think of you!

You just go back to serving beers, creep.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Fri Sep 15, 2000 10:01 am

LOL, Seven_fifty7 is really taking the heat now, HAHA!!

Hey, could ya serve me up a Shirley Temple? If you could figure out how to make one is the real question!!

loser.......

cba

Fri Sep 15, 2000 10:25 am

Hey, shut up with the bartender cracks. What does someone's occupation have to do with their posts? This is going to far. Yes, I admit, SEVEN_FIFTY7 has made many rude and offensive remarks, but enough is enough!

DeltaRNOmd-80

Fri Sep 15, 2000 1:04 pm

we shall persist, until he reveals his favorite airline, then we can comment on that, hehe   j/k

Fri Sep 15, 2000 3:53 pm

Some of you guys really need to grow up! Enough with the bickering. Opinions are like pie-holes, everybody has one. Being from Texas (Houston) I can understand and appreciate why the name was chosen. Going to public school in Texas, one is taught about the heroes and patriots who won Texas' independence. I distinctly remember learning about Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and William Travis long before I knew about the American Revolutionaries. I think Texans have a pretty keen understanding that our freedom was bought with a very dear price. We are reminded by it every day. Cities, towns and counties all bear the names of fallen Texas heroes, countless high schools and colleges are named after our founding Texas fathers. Most people don't realize that Texas is one of only 3 states to have ever been an independent nation. (California and Hawaii are the others.) If you are not from Texas, I wouldn't expect you to fully understand, but there is a pride in knowing where we've come from and where we've been. To me, the word Texan evokes larger than life images. I guess you have to be from here to truly understand. I love the name, and I think the logo is awesome!

seven_fifty7,

If you think the Texans is redundant, then explain the New York Yankees. How about the New York Metropolitans? Or perhaps the New York Islanders. Please, I am desperate to understand your (lack of) logic. By following your reasoning, the team should be called the Houston Asphalts or how do you think the Houston Suburbanites would sound? or wait, maybe the Houston Semi-Tropical coastal flatlands would apply. Get off daddy's computer, it's time for bed!

seven_fifty7

RE: COexERJ

Fri Sep 15, 2000 5:26 pm

COexERJ:

You were doing fine until you decided to launch your petty attacks upon me.

---------------------------

>NEW YORK YANKEES: From the Dutch word "Jankes" which could be interpreted to mean "johns" or "average Joes" (as we would term modern, ordinary people today.) These "Johns" or "average Joes" was a name applied mostly to the Civil War solidiers from the North.

>NEW YORK METROPOLITANS (aka "Mets"): The City of New York is considered the ultimate "Metropolis." Hence, the term bespeaks of hard-working and cosmopolitan city dwellers. But instead of naming the team something like, "the New York City Dwellers," the "Metropolitans" seems to have a more snazzy sound to it.

>NEW YORK ISLANDERS: Named after Long Island where they play. Simple.

>NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS (aka "Knicks"): Named after the trousers worn by the original Dutch settlers, who, coincidently, founded NYC.

Now, does this all still seem "illogical" to you now, Mr. Rocket Scientist? I suspect not.

Regarding my ideas for a more fitting name for your new team? How about the (drum roll please).....

>>>>>>> HOUSTON HICKS ! >>>>>>>

Gee. Imagine that. That could even be YOUR new user name!  D

Now please kids, let this be the LAST TIME I have to post anything on this thread. Please be advised, that as long as you continue to sport those big dumb cowboy hats all the time, that town will never be considered on par with NYC, Chicago, San Fran, or even Pittsburgh!

Just a friendly reminder.

sammyk

RE: COexERJ

Sat Sep 16, 2000 12:45 am

Umm, you just proved COexERJs point. A team is sometimes named after the people that live there or from where its from.

Houston Texans...the people there are...ummm Texans?
(obviously Texans has a different meaning to those that live there, but just an example)

-The Mets (the people are, as you said, Metropolitans)
-The Yankees (the people are, as you said, Yankees)
-The Islanders (from Long ISLAND, as you said)

Remember now, the NY Rangers (Funny how there are the Texas Rangers too huh??) were once called the NY Americans, how does that make sense?

SO please, just get over this whole Team Naming thing!!

Sammy

P.S. New Jersey Devils has such a nice ring to it  

Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:01 am

Thanks for proving my point seven_fifty7!

Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:51 am

LISTEN HERE YOUT LITTLE DICK, I AM SICK & TIRED OF YOU BASHING THE HOUSTON TEXANS, AND DELTA AIR LINES!!!!!

BTW, NEW YORK IS NOT THE LARGEST METROPOLIS!!!!!

cba

Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:41 am

Seven_Fifty7, enough!. We can understand your disliking with the "Houston Texans". But then you have to go on calling Houston a hick town, and then you call residents of Houston and Texas hicks. First of all, the defenition of a hick (taken straight from Webster's) is an "unsophisticated person". From the remarks that you make, I think that the term "hick" applies more to you than the people in Texas whom you constantly insult. You are an uncultured, unsophisticated hick. Just because you live in NYC doesn't mean that you're not a hick. Now please shut up and spare us of this crap.

seven_fifty7

Sat Sep 16, 2000 7:11 am

Okay, I've decided to make THIS my last post for this thread. I will not read any responses to it so don't waste your keystrokes after you read this.

COexERJ and others: For clarification, I obviously know WHY that team is called the "Texans." My point about the name is that I simply felt it's totally not creative, unimaginative and just plain trite. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Comparatively, names such as the "Astros", the "Rockets" and the former "Oilers" are much more imaginative, yet speaks to something of relevance to the history or industry of Houston such as oil companies and NASA. But c'mon, now. The Texans? It's only MY opinion. So guys please stop throwing all of these unnecessary hissy-fits over it. Ok?

As for Dan the (non-spelling) Man:

My only suggestion to you is to take up some reading courses at your local Community College. Either that, or consider finding an accredited Optomotrist for your poor vision as I never said NYC was the "largest metropolis" as you put it. I said it was the "ultimate." These two words are different. In the U.S. Los Angeles is now the "largest metropolis." Worldwide, Mexico City and Tokyo are the "largest metropolises." Got it?

Now Dan, your free geography lesson for today is now closed and will not be offered anymore. I think attention should now be directed to your apparent dyslexia.

Have a nice day.

Sat Sep 16, 2000 7:11 am

ha ha ha!