What Do You Think Of These "wierd" Lawsuits?

Sat Sep 09, 2000 12:25 am

In 1989, a woman filed a lawsuit against K-mart (in Claremont, NH) after slipping on the floor. Another did the same for Wal*Mart for the same thing. And we all know about the time a woman sued McDonald's for over $1 million because she spilled hot coffee on her lap. I honesty don't see the need for lawsuits to disasters like this. How about you?    

Samurai 777

RE: What Do You Think Of These

Sat Sep 09, 2000 2:42 am

I can describe this in two, no make it three words - silly, idiotic and greedy. No, it's not your post I'm condemning, it's the very fact that Americans have gone lawsuit-crazy! What the hell were those people thinking!? At least 90% of the time the courts'd throw these cases right out the window or the plaintiffs would lose or worse yet, end up having these companies file a countersuit against them! Not to mention just how much like opportunistic vultures lawyers are becoming!      

People are even being sued for minor accidents like fender benders. I mean, how is a whiplash really going to affect your chances of keeping your job or your quality of life!? Even worse are lawsuit scams - and this can result in criminal penalties if the scammer is caught! I'm not sure if this would really be considered a felony on the same level as embezzlement or fraud in the US, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's a pretty fair bet that if this kind of situation gets any worse, the US Supreme Court or another judicial system in the US could very clamp down on as to who or what can be sued and for how much.

seven_fifty7

RE: What Do You Think Of These "wierd" Lawsuits?

Sat Sep 09, 2000 2:47 am

It just goes to show you just how stupid our judicial system is. Gullible jury pools who have not an iota of common sense also do their fair share of further wrecking the system. Why award such huge amounts for so many frivolous lawsuits?

It's all symptomatic of the dumbing down of America.

blink182

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:08 am

those are all cases that if I were a judge,they would be thrown out, I think Americans are greedy and can get what ever they want.Our judicial system is messed up and needs help fast.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

teahan

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:13 am

Another horrible thing about the US is the death penalty!

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:39 am

Did the woman who sued McDonald won?If yes well i could do that for 1 million !!  
Seriously, yes the American judicial is a bit "sick". Once a young man filed a lawsuit against his parent because they didnt raised him the way he wanted ...he won ...this is idiotic !

Nicolas

N312RC

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:53 am

King of the Vulture Lawyers: Geoffrey Fieger
N/A

Sat Sep 09, 2000 3:53 am

I disagree with you on that, Teahan. I see no problem with the death penalty as long as the process is not corrupt. Now this doesn't mean the Federal government should get involved. The state governments should evaluate their systems by themselves. America is not a "barbaric" country because it is one of the few with the death penalty. For some crimes it is the only applicable punishment.

copper1

Sat Sep 09, 2000 5:14 am

The laws of the country are made by Politicians, a large number of whom are/were lawyers. The laws are made by lawyers, for lawyers.

In the end it is the consumer who pays the price for these decisions.

The other way to look at it is frivilous lawsuits are make work projects for lawyers. Law schools graduate too many lawyers and in an effort to make any money at all , the lawyers must find creative ways to put food on their table.

Quite simply, there are too many lawyers.

Having said that however, to all the people who serve on juries in civil litigation trials..... GET A GRIP ON REALITY. You may think that by awarding someone a huge settlement you have solved all their problems and financially I suppose you have, but the decisions that you make have negative ramifications on the rest of society.

There will be a backlash eventually and when that happens, some poor sod who really was a victim of negligence will be left holding the bag.

Thats the way I see it.

Copper1