JAT
Topic Author

Terry Fox Day

Sat Sep 09, 2000 4:57 am

Where are you from and tell me if your country celebrates Terry Fox day.

USAirways737

RE: Terry Fox Day

Sat Sep 09, 2000 5:00 am

US of A and who the hell is Terry Fox?

kLm-Md-11

USAirways737

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:30 am

Terry Fox is the young man who got amputated because cancer spreaded to his leg. HE later got healed but it came back to him again and I think he died in the early 80's or late 70's...I dunno..Anyway, he decided to start a "Marathon of Hope" and started his run accross Canada to raise money...that's all I know...BTW JAT, I live in Canada so I always participate in the Terry Fox Run... 

rindt

RE: USAirways737

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:41 am

Americans and Ignorance... funny how they both go hand in hand...
Remember now, these are the same people that think we Canadians live in igloos. I guess they forgot that Alaska is part of the US.

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

kLm-Md-11

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:46 am

Actually, I do live in an igloo sometimes.. 
I like sleeping in the mega size igloo that my brother bought for my dog last year...It's so big it can fit me and my dog with extra head space...hehe... 

L-188

Sat Sep 09, 2000 12:28 pm

Nope...As far as I know that is just a Canadian holiday. I think there is some mountain in B.C. they named after the guy.

And Rindt. As an Alaskan I spend a good part of my time wishing that Alaska wasn't part of the USA.

You are right about the dumbing down of the lower 48. Most people down there think Alaska is some island off the coast of California. That is where they put it on the maps.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Jubilee777

Sat Sep 09, 2000 12:33 pm

We do have the Terry Fox run every year here in Singapore. It has been around for around 6 years, and the amount raised during the run is donated for Cancer research in Singapore.

Sadly no holidays here.

J777
only participated once

AC_A340

Sat Sep 09, 2000 5:59 pm

Manitoba and I usually participate. 

USAirways737

Canadians

Sat Sep 09, 2000 6:26 pm

Isn't funny how Canadians think their better than Americans even though when they come to America they end up staying. e.g. Pamela Anderson, Tom Green, Alanis Moorisette, & Peter Jennings.

Top 10 Canadian Complaints About Americans
From the Late Show with David Letterman.

10. Won't acknowledge enormous cultural contributions of Howie Mandel
9. We're pretty sure they're holding Wayne Gretzky down there against his will
8 Every time we mention the city "Regina," they won't stop giggling
7. Incredibly, they only have one word for "snow"
6. In American encyclopedias, Canada often called "North Dakota's gay neighbor"
5. They call it American cheese, even though it was invented by Canadian superstar Gordon Lightfoot
4. They've never even heard of our most popular superhero, Captain Saskatchewan
3. Two words: "Weird Al"
2. Sick of that gap-toothed loser on "The Late Show with Paul Shaffer"
1 Not enough guys named "Gordie"

JAT
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2000 7:22 pm

I fully agree rindt. The fact that USAirways737 didn't know who Terry Fox was isn't what bothers me at all, but rather how he asked "who the hell is Terry Fox" like he didn't care at all and just asked for the sake of asking and made it sound remarkably disrespectful.

I can't help but wonder if he mentioned some American hero and I didn't happen to know who he was the kind of fit he would throw.

USAirways737

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:02 pm

I wouldn't expect you too. Not everyone can be perfect like Canadians and know every countries' heroes. I guess I could have phrased it differently though. But it was not that i didn't care who he was.

Hamlet69

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:16 pm

Excuse me, but why is it ignorance if your an American and you don't know about Terry Fox? That is not ignorance, that is just not getting Canadian news stories. Would most Canadians know about Ryan White? It would be good if they did, but it wouldn't be ignorance if they did not. Comments like that just make someone look pompous and arrogant, even though they are probably not. (I know alot of Canadians, and I know they are not like that at all).

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.

JAT
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:37 pm

I am not saying that it is ignorant not to know something but what I found arrogant and pompous is USAirways737 attitude towards the whole thing.

By the way, I do not know who Ryan White is but I would never say: "CANADA and who the hell is Ryan White?"

USAirways737

Sun Sep 10, 2000 3:17 am

I guess your just a better person than me, you know people here in emerika dont know how to raise der cids write.

polaris

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:56 am

Terry Fox Day is not a holiday in Canada. It is a day set aside for the Terry Fox Run (or walk, or whatever method you choose for participation). This is in memory of Terry Fox and his battle with cancer. He was a young Canadian who set out to walk across Canada for cancer awareness. Unfortunately, cancer won half way through his walk across the land. The day is now set aside to raise awareness for cancer research and to raise funds for this research. He is well known in Canada and his message is beginning to spread around the world. One cannot expect everyone to know about Terry Fox. To your memory, Terry.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:53 am

I havent heard of him, but I have now. Has anyone in Canada heard of St. Jude's Childrens Hospital? (bad example). They organize bike-a-thons and walks to help raise money for cancer research and treatment for children. I think foreigners who call America ignorant wouldnt have a clue about a lot of our history, which WE know about. How can you expect us to know every sentence in a Canadian history textbook?

Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:11 am

I have never heard of Terry Fox day here in Oz. Sounds like a great fundraiser though! Very strange that it's done in Singapore - how did that come about?

Gee guys, it's fun reading the USA/Canada flames.

USAir737,

Remember that Emerika gave us the term "Trailer Trash". Think about it.

mb