seven_fifty7

Uproar In NYC Over Clinton/Castro

Sat Sep 09, 2000 9:34 am

During the Millenium summit here in NY, Clinton briefly shook the hand of Fidel Castro. Now, idiots are comming out of the woodwork condemning Clinton for this because in their eyes, Fidel is "a murderer." What the hell was Clinton supposed to do? Hasn't he shaken the hand of China's president and leaders from the Mideast before? Didn't Reagan shake the hand of Brezhnev and Gorbachev before? What's with these people?

And to top things off, NY mayor Rudy Giuliani wants the White House to reimburse the City of New York for the $25 Million in costs incurred by the city. What?

Giuliani is such a wuss.

NKP S2

RE: Uproar In NYC Over Clinton/Castro

Sat Sep 09, 2000 9:55 am

The question isn't "What's wrong with these people?" It's what's wrong with Clinton. Just as much outrage about buddying up to the chi-coms, only they don't allow that sort of thing in Bejing...not in public anyway. Anyway, in NY, I'm sure those two knuckleheads have more in common philosophically than most want to realize.

Sat Sep 09, 2000 9:17 pm

I wonder if George W. would have recognized him...

Both Fidel and Bill.  

Greeneyes53787

Sun Sep 10, 2000 3:12 am

Yes, you gotta shake their hands. Kennedy shook Kruschev's.

But Clinton might have infuriated the Cubans for shaking their leader's hand.

GE

mls515

Sun Sep 10, 2000 6:01 am

From a human rights standpoint, well, Clinton has had terrorists stay over at the White House on at least two occasions that I can think of so if that wasn't questioned, I don't think think anyone should be raising hell over Clinton shaking Fidel Castro's hand.

mls515

USAirways737

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:27 am

I think too much is being read into a simple handshake. What was he supposed to do when Fidel put his hand out, say no and walk away?

killjoy

Politics

Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:42 am

It's not good politics to insult foreign leaders (by for example not shaking their hand) no matter what people think of them. We may want to make Cuba a free country, but the way to do it is not to anger Castro.

Why are there always idiots who will come out and make a big issue out of anything these people do???

So what if Clinton (or any other president) treats leaders of questionable countries as guests. What should he do? Order them to stay off US soil or he'll shoot them?

You've gotta talk to them! What's preferable? Sending the U.S. president to a potentially dangerous country or welcoming their president in the U.S.??? The latter, IMHO...

Scotty

Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:43 am

Maybe Fidel is a Mason as well?

Mon Sep 11, 2000 2:19 am

It was a welcome change, it's time we stop treating Cuba like evil it isn't.

Greeneyes53787

Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:26 am

People,
Please don't legitimize Castro. I talk to an American from Cuba often. He is good friends with Fidel's sister (I believe he said sister). This relative herself calls Fidel a bully and other negative things.

Cuba is a wonderful place (although not as pretty as before communism there) with great people. Their people are wonderful. Some of them love and like their leader Fidel. Others put a prefix on his name and call him Infidel.

Personally I think Castro is a very evil man who hurt many people. We can shake his hand though without approving of him, and we can call Cuba great without calling F Castro great.

GE

Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:31 am

I certainly hope Fidel slipped Clinton a few "Monte Christo's". (Cuban cigars)

mb