ryu2

Question On Airliners.net "advertising" Policy

Sun Sep 24, 2000 6:12 pm

Hello,

This is an old, yet question of mine: what exactly consitutes an "advert" for a web site?

The reason why I ask is back during April or May of this year, there was a large debate on airliners.net about the lack of "serious" discussion on technical matters. (It was what led to the creation of the Tech/Ops forum, as well as the Non-Aviation/airliners.net comment/criticism/suggestion forum)

One poster asked where he could find professional/technical information, and I posted a link to another web site which contained that information. It was in direct reply to a user's aviation question. It got deleted by Johan multiple times, and he informed me via email of this. I emailed him back politely asking clarification, but never got a reply back.

Now, at that time, there was a lot of complaints directed towards the administration of the site, so perhaps Johan had his hands full with dealing with those users. However, I hope I can get an answer now, in this forum.

Also, besides my question, I have a suggestion: in the rules page, give some specific examples of what is considered on topic, and what is considered an advertisement. I notice that in the rules, examples are given of non-acceptable topic names, and examples that are acceptable. If Johan can also do the same elaboration for the advertising policy, it would make this rule much less vague for many users. including myself.

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work.

flyf15

RE: Question On Airliners.net "advertising" Policy

Mon Sep 25, 2000 5:29 am

How I see it, if the information contained in the link is related to the post and/or the post is made as a direct way of informing the forum of a specific topic, it should be alright.

Links that should not be allowed are ones that are just here to get people to go to websites, ones that are not related to the topic of discussion, and "check out my site" links.

Too bad I'm not a forum admin, eh?  

bombstar

Mon Sep 25, 2000 11:55 am

Isn't Johan a computer?

Pacific

Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:07 pm

Granite (Gary Watt, another forum Admin) told me that Johan's a supercomputer.

tim

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:16 pm

Hi all

you can find more out about Johan at www.cray.com
This is the brand of Johan.

Cheers
Tim
Perth, Australia
(www.perthairport.com)

administrator

Mon Sep 25, 2000 10:40 pm

I like the "Super" part but resent "Computer". Just call me "Superjohan".  

Regarding the question by Ryu2, read the reply by Flyf15, I agree to what he said.

Regads,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

A330300

Fri Oct 06, 2000 9:41 am

Interesting how links to personal sites aren't deleted, but links to more "professional" sites are; Such as www.IAPDB.org