lax2000

Why Do Only Europeans Wear Speedos

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:28 am

Why!
When I go to France and Spain this winter I am going to find the nearest beach and strut my stuff in a nice pair of speedos. I want to see how the other half lives.

Yeah I know I'll be cold.

I think Europeans are more comfortable with there manhood. In the U.S. if it ain't big "supersized" forget it, it 's no good.

any mature thoughts?

RE: Why Do Only Europeans Wear Speedos

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:54 am

I wear speedos for swimming laps (I wouldn't wear anything esle), but that's all.

N312RC

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:03 am

They are more comfortable with sexuality, I guess. Here in America, everything is censored so much. People freaked out when Austin Powers and Eyes Wide Shut came out in America.
N/A

Ilyushin96M

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:10 am

I wear a speedo, and I don't see the problem. It's silly to wear something to go swimming that encumbers you.

N312RC

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:24 am

Forgot to mention something....

...In the U.S. if it ain't big "supersized" forget it, it 's no good.

You got it. That's what people are worried about. They're worried about what other people think. I dont know about you, but my parents always brought (still bringing) me up to not care about what other people think.

Just my $0.02USD
N/A

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:40 am

You can always tell the Europeans at the water parks at Disney World...  

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:17 am

Excuse me peoples. What makes one think that only Europeans wear Speedos?

As a matter of fact, Speedos originated in Australia in the mid-1920s and have been a part of Australian culture ever since. One of the major Australian cultural icons, surf lifesavers (yummy) are synonymous with Speedos. And also the Aussie swimmers have until recent years almost exclusively worn Speedos.

Why do people think that wearing Speedo's has anything to do with sex and sexuality (well I am sure you guys know where I stand on this, but that isn't my point).

Myself when down the beach or the pools, I wear nothing but speedos. I am very comfortable in parading around in nothing but a small piece of material covering my whats-its.

BTW, these pics are from Surf Life Saving Australia

Cheers

Scotty

FlyVirgin744

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:27 am

Actually it is the preference of American women not to see guys in speedos. Ask all the girls you know whether or not they would rather see a guy in speedos or board shorts and I gaurantee shorts will win.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:47 am

The thing about speedos is, not everyone should be allowed to wear them.

FlyVirgin744

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:00 am

American women don't like to see men in Speedos?

Yeah right!

Maybe you should rephrase that to be:

American women don't like to see *American* men in Speedos

I say this because one need only go to an Aussie beach like Bondi, or on the Gold Coast, to see American sheilas swooning over the hot bods in tight fitting speedos.

Or is it that American women don't want to see YOU in speedos?  

Cheers

Scotty

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:14 am

What about "Manly" beach? hehehe :-P

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:17 am

OK Surf....Manly too. Oh, and my hometown beach, Scabs (Scarborough), and we had better not forget Torquay or Bells in Victoria.

Oh yeah.....what is your defining parameters for who should be able to wear Speedos? I gotta hear this one..  

Cheers

Scotty

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:20 am

I must admit, I wear speedos. If my body wasn't in proportion I wouldn't though. American are bloody prudes in the ridiculous sense, and fat. (Not all though.)

However, take note Europeans, I have seen some revolting sites at various resorts I have been to. If your gross or overweight cover up.

Elitist that I am.

mb (Champagne today and more wrestling.)

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:33 am

Well, me as an concerned European, they fit us pretty well. A little tight tough.

FlyVirgin744

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:43 am

Scotty, I do agree with your counterpoint because for some reason it seems to be true. When an American girl goes to other countries it seems ok but even if the guys are just as good looking here, its just a no! Perhaps in my wonderful country it has become this way because men in speedos or thongs usually means homosexual! I don't why but it is stupid. When I was in late elementary school, I was a swimmer. I usually wore speedos also when I was at pool parties and field trips, but then I had everyone making fun of me and being called a fag. Personally I think speedos are very much more comfortable and I still wear them when its just me at home swimming. If I were going to Europe again, speedos it would be. Back to American girls, everytime the conversation starts up, girls say they think guys in speedos is disgusting. But if they are in another country, its ok. ??? Even the more stupid thing, its just a bathing suit!
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:43 am

Mx5_boy already defined it.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:30 pm

Believe it or not Aussies, you guys aren't the only country with attractive people, get off it. Your insulting of America is getting old, I am sure many of my fellow Americans agree. You dont see us saying

---"Australians are bloody prudes in the ridiculous sense, and fat."---

OR

---"Australian women don't like to see *Australian* men in Speedos"---

I am sure there are fat and/or unattractive Aussie men and women, whether you admit it or not.

If you get such a joy out of it, I suspect that there is a bit of jealousy. You always need to keep on bringing up great things about Australia (which is fine) and then you feel the need to knock down America while your at it. Enough is enough.

Greeneyes53787

Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:48 pm

That is a steriotype of bygone days. Probably more USA citizens drive Mazda Miatas than any group. Among the world's populous a great deal of the super thin Rolexes are sold to USA citizens.

Ever notice how popular in the USA minivans and small trucks are?

That day of bigger is better thinking over here is primal to West Texas of the past--mostly.

GE

BranVan3K

Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:55 pm

When i was recently in Cancun for break, a friend and I made up a game of 'guess the european.' This was always easy though, because they were either a) wearing a speedo or b) smoking cigarettes.

If you all (europeans) cry foul about 'stereotypes' why do you prepuate them??

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:58 pm

Get a life buddy.

If you do not understand our sense of humour well that is your problem to deal with. Just like your TV over there, it is brainless to say the least.

And we are only commenting on things which other people have stated themselves.

And yeah we have fat people here in Australia. And don't worry, there is no jealously here, I just like giving you the facts as some people can not see past the little cardboard box in which they live their lives.

dvk

Brissie_lions

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:06 pm

While I have enjoyed and admired many of your posts, you've been a real jerk the past few days. I understand your sense of humor, and have seen it in this forum many times, but your most recent posts have been garbage, not humor.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Brissie

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:10 pm

Brissie I agree Delta on this one. You need to stop thinking you and your country are so wonderful! You did not mean any humour in it, it is a sorry attempt to try and get out!
Iain

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:29 pm

It is true that the U.S. is a grossly overweight country, and as an American, I can say that!

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:35 pm

Hey Adam, if you wear speedos, will you "biggie size" it for me?

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:41 pm

Please explain to me what I am trying to get out of here? I have made a statement and I stand by it.

One thing I have come to realise over the years is that Aussies do not take themselves seriously.

If you were to make a comment such as Delta made, i.e.

---"Australian women don't like to see *Australian* men in Speedos"---

I would not take offence to that.

Why is it that if I say the same but substitute Australian for American, people get offended. Stop taking yourselves too seriously people. And I don't think that Australia is superior to any other country, but one thing we are able to do down here is to take criticism and not get shitty if we are criticised. As you can see if you read all the above posts, after I posted "american women...blah blah blah", FlyVirgin744 came backed and agreed with me (oh well, good to see someone has a sense of humour).

Maybe some people could learn the same thing.

And for people to say that I am anti-American.....well yes I am as a matter of fact, but only in sport, in which it is healthy to have some hearty competition. I hear you saying *whatever*....*shrug of shoulders*

Anyway, I am not getting into a flame war here.

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Brissie

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:16 pm

Maybe after a sarcastic sentence or one in which you were joking, you could put the appropriate face next to it. Emotions cant be expressed over the net, so thats what the faces were created for.

If your only way to get out of a bind is the "geez, i was just joking' excuse, then you need to get a life, "buddy".

BTW, thanks for the support from my fellow americans  

dvk

Brissie_lions

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:30 pm

You seem to have gotten rather "shitty" about being criticized this time, Scotty. Maybe it's your defensive retorts, rather than our taking ourselves too seriously, which provoked our responses. Cheers!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:45 pm

Amercians are very overweight, in general, it's true.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:46 pm

Me get shitty? I don't think so people's.

Once again people fail to see what I am saying.

It is in the general American psyche that you guys are so uptight about what other people think (especially if it is negative), whereas Aussies are so laid back we couldn't give a rats what other people think. This was proven by DeltaR***

And it is partly for this reason of being worried about what other people think, that Americans do not generally wear Speedos. Hey, Virgin744 said it himself.

And also you guys do seem to be very *embarrassed* by sexuality or showing off one's body. This is not the way it is here in Australia or over in Europe.

Again, this is another reason why you guys don't wear Speedos.

Now if you disagree with what I say, that is your perogative.

Oh yeah, and to the general American population out there. Try to laugh at yourselves more often. It is good for the soul.

Granite

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:01 pm

Hi all

OK guys, calm down please  

When I strutted my stuff on Rottnest Beach I wore board shorts.

Sorry Brissie, Rottnest is far nicer than Scarborough!!

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Granite

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:29 pm

Heya Gary

I have to agree with you mate. Rottnest is a lot better than Scarborough (not only around Thompsons but also on the *other* side of the island....some of the best beaches in the world for sure), but it is quite difficult to grab jump in the car, grab the guys and gals, stop off at the bottlo to stock up on VB, and drive across. Therefore, Scarborough, and others like Trigg, Marmion and Hillarys will have to do.

With you being Scottish, it is probably a good thing that you wore boardies when down here. We wouldn't want you burning those white cheeks of yours now would we?  

Cheers

Scotty
Perth, Australia
Where the beaches are great, the guys in Speedos are hot, and the cheeks are tanned

LH423

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:44 pm

Brissie: I gotta go with the others. I consider myself a piss taker, but when it becomes the same stuff over and over, it not only becomes repetitive, but rather humourless, and it does really sound that you are anti-North American (lest not forget that in many respects Canada and Mexico are much like the US). I have never been to Australia (although I so much want to go), but so maybe you guys are in a position where you can joke about N.A. (sorry Canadians, unless you guys can defend your stance, you're included in my boat), but until I can travel there, I consider you guys as equals to N.A., and in no real position to criticise.

Yes, you may have more of a laissez-faire attitude towards life, but not everyone else does, so tone down your "humour" just a little, and it does not mean that anyone can generalise. I think Aussies are people who surf and go to "bahbies". I don't think that, but I think you can see where generalisation can get you in trouble.

LH423

P.S. I never wear Speedos, Ugh!
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

B-707

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:22 pm

This may sound like a dumb question, but what is a Speedo? Never heard of it.

LH423

Sun Oct 01, 2000 1:20 am

Speedo is a general term for bathing suits that look more like underwear (non-Boxers). They usually are tight to the the body and are a bit too revealing for some peoples taste.

Speedo is the company that popularised the type. Just think professional swimmers, and you have speedos.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

B-707

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:21 am

Thanks, LH423.

N863DA

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:23 am

I have no idea why I'm even responding to this (somewhat inane) post, I already voiced my opinion on another post re: "Humor" but I agree wholeheartedly with LH423 about speedos - URGH!

No wonder American women (hell, even some men, like LH423, correct?) don't really like men in speedo's.... not that I'm in a position to judge or comment, but URGH! some more. I can't see myself ever wearing them (hell I hardly have the figure, I have a swimmer's build, largely because I swim all the time, but they wouldn't work for me EVER) and I can't see them working on anyone else either!!! URGH! Yet again. Anything that hugs the male body is just not right!!!!! Baggy T-shirts and cargo pants or wide jeans for me any day.

Women however are another matter... 

How about getting TWFirst's opinion on the subject???

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

polaris

Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:54 am

LH423: Canadians wear snowshoes to the beach...and nothing else! Some wear boots...but nothing else! And still others wear parkas...and nothing underneath! Sometimes our beaches are frozen. Then we wear skates (ice skates to Americans) and, you guessed it...nothing else!

(A parka, for those who don't know, is a big coat with a hood with fur trim.)

VirginLover

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:24 am

From a girls point of view: LESS IS MORE
If you bear all, what's the mystery?   Even for the really hot guys in speedos, it doesn't do anything. Hawaiian print shorts or something to that effect is a lot sexier  

Sun Oct 01, 2000 1:09 pm

Anything that hugs the male body that tight (if the body is hot) is AWESOME!!!!!!!!   :D  

Why does that make you feel uncomfortable??? :-P

Starship

Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:50 pm

I am with Surf on this issue. I can't believe that so many of you guys are so ultra conservative when it comes to swimwear! We are not still living in the 1920's when you used to go swimming fully clothed! Here in SA, the land of sunny skies and sandy white beaches, Speedos are in. Yeah so are board shorts (Speedo call them water shorts), but the surfers generally wear wet suits, because the water in the Atlantic is pretty cold.

Clifton Beach Photo: Ballistic Pictures

This is the beach wear the guys strut their stuff. It is very popular during the summer. I used to frequent this beach regularly, but it has become a bit far to travel. I personally am not a Speedo lover. I much prefer the suits worn by professional body builders and have had a few over the years.

Photo: Doc's Sports

As Surf said, a body hugging posing suit, especially in wet-look lycra on a hot bod looks AWESOME!

Sandy Bay

The above beach is the place to go if you want to wear minimal. Even totally nude is quite acceptable here, as it is quite a walk to get there and out of view of the general public.

Photo: International Male

I guess if one is modest, then wearing something skimpy is going to feel awkward, but it's not like people don't know how the male anatomy looks. I spent two weeks on the beaches of the Costa del Sol in Spain a few years ago and I was surprised that the swimwear was so conservative - mainly board shorts. However, that was early summer and the tourists had not invaded the shores yet. I am certain the fashions change dramatically in August in the height of the summer season.

Photo: California Muscle

Clearly their is a big demand around the World for those that wish to "flaunt their stuff". California Muscle above and Koala Swimwear below cater for such needs.

Photo: Koala Swim

So there you have it guys - swimwear for everybody.

Noordhoek Beach south of Cape Town

Behind every "no" is a "yes"

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:13 pm

LOL ROFLMAO..........I was only talking about speedos!!!

That last one kills me! hahahahahahahaha

lima

Tue Oct 03, 2000 2:36 am

Not only Europeans. Brazilians mostly use speedos, and many Argentinians who spend holidays in Brazil equip themselves with some in places like Rio, Bahia, Florianopolis.

lax2000

RE: Surf

Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:40 am

I'll post photos after my vacation. I plan on wearing a fanny pack with my speedos for the ultimate Euro look!

Adam

N312RC

Tue Oct 03, 2000 6:07 am

What the hell was that last pic of??

He looked like he was wearing a woman's thong!

there's my american censorship kicking in again.
N/A

Starship

Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:01 am

Robert, you have it all wrong !!! That last swim suit is called "Insanity" Koala Swimwear describe it so:

Insanity's three separate pouch design looks and feels incredible. Insanity fits a man's form better than any suit made! You will love going insane with this suit! The intricate stitching makes for the finest suit fit that is offered anywhere!
Behind every "no" is a "yes"

N312RC

Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:58 am

Yeah, well, anyone wearing that in the US could get arrested for indecent exposure. You must be "insane" to wear that thing.
N/A

DeltaRNOmd-80

Tue Oct 03, 2000 12:14 pm

It looks like an eyepatch  

Give me trunks or boardshorts any day

tbar220

Tue Oct 03, 2000 2:34 pm

You all need to cool off. I have read Brissie's comments recently, and haven't been offended by any single one of them, why? Because they are so true! You all need to relax, and take it in stride, if you find it offensive, keep it to yourself, or even offer a humorous comment, because what Brissie is saying is true. Everybody's getting offended because they just can't admit this nations faults. I'm saying this, and I live in the U.S.A! Point said.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

Bikinis And Speedos

Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:26 pm

OK Guys.

How many of you saw the Olympics closing ceremony? Happen to see all those speedo-wearing lifesavers. Did they look disgusting? Not at all. They looked absolutely awesome. Did 110,000 (made up of what I am sure were a great cross-section of the community) cheer them? I heard comments on various programs by females who said that they were amongst the best part of the ceremony.

Why do Australians have a tendency to turn a blind eye to speedo wearers? Because they are a built-in part of our culture since the late 20s.

Why do Americans like board shorts? Again, partly, because it is part of their culture.

Nothing wrong with that.

OK, for you people who say that less is more and stuff like that.

What do you all think of women who wear bikinis?

Any straight man who says that they don't like women in bikini's is outright lying. More is more in this case.

It also comes goes down to the hunter-gatherer syndrome. Men will always be jealous of other men who look better than themselves, especially those who have bigger "tools". Again, anyway who denies this is lying.

Comments?

TWFirst

RE: Brissie

Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:20 am

There are other men who have bigger tools? I've never met any.....

Yeah, right.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.