mls515

Delta To Offer Same-sex Benefits

Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:47 am

I know this has been discussed before and thought it would be of interest to everyone:

http://biz.yahoo.com/apf/001005/delta_dome.html

Delta To Provide Same-Sex Benefits
By SHERRI CHUNN
Associated Press Writer
ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines said Thursday it will offer health-care coverage and other benefits to same-sex partners of its U.S. employees beginning July 1.

Bereavement leave and family medical leave benefits will be available to partners of gay employees immediately, spokesman John Kennedy said. The airline has been studying ways to extend benefits to employees' same-sex partners for more than a year, he said.

``It's a business decision,'' Kennedy said. ``Delta is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse work force, and our goal is to ensure Delta provides an inclusive environment for all people to work in.''

Delta's announcement follows a recent decision by another Atlanta-based company, Coca-Cola, to provide benefits for homosexual partners of its U.S. employees beginning Jan. 1.

Several other airlines also have agreed to extend such benefits. United, the nation's largest airline, changed its benefits policies more than a year ago, and was followed quickly by American Airlines and US Airways.

The Georgia Equality Project praised the decision.

``Delta has joined those Georgia and U.S. companies who recognize that domestic-partner benefits are simply equal pay for the equal work of gay and lesbian employees,'' said Harry Knox, executive director of the advocacy group.

A recent report by the Washington-based Human Rights Campaign found that 3,572 companies, colleges and states and local governments offered or have announced they will offer health insurance covering their employees' domestic partners.

Fortune 500 companies offering or planning to offer domestic benefits increased from 70 in August 1999 to 102 in August 2000.

mls515

RE: Delta To Offer Same-sex Benefits

Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:49 am

Will they offer benefits to non-married opposite-sex partners too? It would make it the most fair way to do things in my opinion.

mls515

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:55 am

Yeah..but its not PC..therefore probably wont happen.
Chicks dig winglets.

mls515

Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:57 am

In what way would that not be politically correct?

Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:40 am

As far as saying it would be "the most fair thing to do" to offer domestic partner benefits to opposite-sex couples, you forget one MAJOR point: opposite-sex couples have the option of getting married, and same-sex couples don't. So, it's either allow same-sex marriage, or give same-sex benefits. If opposite sex -couples want to get benefits, they can get married. Otherwise let same-sex couples get married, so they can have benefits that way too.

Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:42 am

....I mean, why should opposite-sex couples be allowed to have it both ways, and same-sex couples can't? Is THAT fair?

CPDC10-30

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:11 am

I agree with Mls515...to be fair they should give benefits to opposite sex "common-law" partners. Actually, I'm surprised that they don't offer these benefits...here in Canada most companies offered common law benefits before offering same-sex benefits...not the other way around.

Anyways, its a good sign...another major organization realizing that the can no longer discriminate against gays in these times.

HyperMike

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:19 am

I understand that some people think its wrong to offer SSDPB (same sex domestic partner benefits). However, it does make business sense. Airlines seem to be a company that hire large numbers of gay men and women.

In a tight job market, employers must take the necessary steps to keep their employees happy in order to just keep their employees. Studies have shown that the cost of recruiting and training a new employee total between three and six months of an employee's salary. That means that it becomes much cheaper to keep employees by offering benefits like these than to replace them.

If a company needs to offer same sex benefits to keep their employees from going somewhere else, that's what they have to do. That's why companies like IBM, Microsoft, ABC/Disney, and American Airlines have been doing this for years.

When San Francisco passed an ordinance requiring SSDPB, United went to court. What they didn't realize was that they'd be faced with a serious boycot from the gay and lesbian community. Gay couples tend to have more disposable income, meaning they can travel more often, and they do. United started offering SSDPB system-wide the following year.

I know that US Airways has some benefits for their flight attendants. That was a big win in this contract. American offers them too, and for that reason, they lost their status as the official carrier of the southern baptist convention a few years ago. American's response was that they didn't offer them because of pressure from gay groups, they did it to keep their employees from leaving.

Ilyushin96M

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:42 am

YEAH!!! Way to go, DL! We'll be seeing more and more companies here in the US offering same-sex domestic partner benefits, which is a good thing, and long overdue!

Truth of the matter is, not only airlines hire large numbers of gays and lesbians. We are employed in all areas of the workforce. Our unions should be recognised and we should be allowed the same benefits as opposite-sex couples. We should take a stand for this to the extent that gays and lesbians would refuse to work for companies that don't provide those benefits.

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:46 am

If opposite sex couples want benefits, let them get married, OR let same sex couples marry...opposite sex couples should not be allowed to have it both ways!!!!! Otherwise it becomes too expensive. "Oh yeah she's my domestic partner" when "she" is just a female friend roommate you are trying to help out with health insurance.

I feel same sex couples should only be allowed benefits becuase they DONT have the option of getting married, and the benefits make up for that.

And to play devils advocate:

Actually, same sex couples who want benefits should probably be required to register as domestic partners with the state, or otherwise be entered into some sort of civil union like in Vermont or the city of San Francisco...othewise, it could be left open to abuse, "oh yeah he's my bf" (gay man says) when it's just a gay roommate you are trying to help out with health insurance. Don't think people wouldn't do this.

Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:08 pm

Surf,

Please don't discredit us with comments like the above. It simply isn't fair to not give non-married (but defacto) single sex couples the same benefits.

I would have thought you would have decried "Delta for finally dragging it's Southern ass into the 20th Century on human rights issues for it's staff."

mb

Fri Oct 06, 2000 10:29 pm

I'm saying umarried same sex couples can and SHOULD recieve benefits, BUT the reason they get them is becuase they can't marry. Look, if same sex couples were allowed to be married, then they would be able to obtain benefits that way, just like married opposite sex couples BUT THEY CAN'T GET MARRIED. That is why same sex couples are allowed the benefits without marriage! HOWEVER, I DO NOT BELIEVE that unmarried opposite sex couples should be able to get benefits as THEY HAVE THE OPTION OF GETTING MARRIED. In addition, same sex benefits can be ABUSED, and it could be expensive for the company so that is why, I feel that same sex partners who get benefites should have to register as domestic partners or enter in to legal civil unions, so the abuse doesn't take place. Now of course, every state in the union would have to make allowances for legal civil unions of same sex couples.

Who am I discrediting? No one. I am a gay male. I am saying that same sex couples SHOULD be allowed benefits. HOWEVER, I am also saying that there needs to be some ACCOUNTABILITY FOR IT! This is very important.

For instance. I believe people should be allowed to smoke marijauana for medicinal purposes however I voted against the proposition to make it legal in California NOT becuase I felt people shouldn't be allowed this but becuase it was a POORLY WRITTEN LAW that left open the doors for MAJOR ABUSE, and it already has.......this is the way i see things....and it is logical.....

Fri Oct 06, 2000 10:42 pm

Surf,

Are you a bit tethered this morning? When you use capitals and look like your yelling at people they will not take you seriously. More um, hysterical. Calm down.

And remember anyone can rort systems. It's up to the system to weed them out, but there will always be a minority that try and ruin it for everyone else. Big companies know this and try to stamp it out, but they also realise that they must give equally. (at least over here they do)

mb

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:45 pm

The capitals are for emphasis only

flashmeister

Sat Oct 07, 2000 5:22 am

Right on, Surf. I agree with you that there needs to be accountability here...

If my company offered S/S benefits that required domestic partnership registration, my partner and I would sign up right away, except that we can't because of the state that we live in.

Many states still don't allow same-sex domestic partnership registration... so what do we do now??

I agree with you that accountability is a necessary component to protect the company and ourselves, but registration doesn't address everyone. Contracts are possible, but would this work?

Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:31 am

This same thread was deleted from the general aviation forum due to user "Jetdude" and his vioent comments toward gay people. FYI.

Ilyushin96M

Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:41 am

It would be nice if this version of the thread could stay clean, with no Matt D or Jetdude spouting their crap, wouldn't it? But we've all read what they had to say, anyway. Not that it matters, domestic partner benefits are here to stay and the number of companies offering them is going to be increasing exponentially, you just wait!!! 

administrator

Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:52 am

As noted I was forced to delete a similar thread in the Civil Aviation forum as some people can't seem to handle a discussion in a civilized manner.

If the same thing happens here I'm going to use my divine influence and get the people involved banned.

Just a friendly warning.

Cheers,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Trvlr

Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:54 am

Well, anyway, good job Delta!

Aaron G.

jetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 11:32 am

Hey Gay men. when the 5% turn into 51% you guy's might get more pull. this is a great country I'm very happy to be born here in the USA!!!!!!!!!!
Don't like what you see VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or have a Gay revolution.
p.s. I hope this won't get me booted off .I will be more Civil

jetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 11:35 am

):

TWFirst

RE: Gayjetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 11:41 am

We do vote and we did have a gay revolution, dickhead. That's why Al Gore's going to win and Ellen, Will & Grace, and Vermont's Civil Unions exist.

And BTW, it's >10%
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:19 pm

Personally I think it's more than 10%, becuase it doesn't take into account the married men who are really gay, and the men who never have come out of the closet (or gay women for that matter). I've met straight people who think this is true too. We will never know for sure...BUT..it's ALOT more than you think!

jetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:30 pm

Wow big revolution anyone loose a loved one for the cause? I don't think Al is gay. he has walking proof.

Trvlr

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:39 pm

Jetdude: Well of course Al Gore isn't gay. If he works for the agendas of Black or Jewish people in congress, that mean he is Black and Jewish himself.

And your idea of a revolution needs some work as well.

If that previous post was sarcasm, then at least put a smiley in it, I don't think you did a good job.

Aaron G.

jetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:45 pm

Aaron G
what the hell would you know
10th grade fag J

Ilyushin96M

Statistics

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:46 pm

Actually, the percentage is more like 33 or so, if you tally up all the gays, lesbians and bisexuals in a given community - out or not. Imagine that...1/3 of the world's population! Makes ya think, doesn't it? Well, not those of us with nothing upstairs to process information, right, Jetdude?

And speaking of loss, while I was living in Russia, I had a boyfriend who was arrested and put in prison for a murder he didn't commit. The real murderer is out there running around scott free because the judge, jury and prosecutors were more interested in putting someone behind bars just for being gay than they were in actually seeing that justice was served. So yeah, I CAN say I've lost a loved one for the cause. Seeing something like that happen to someone I care for made me all the more adamnant that I and other gays and lesbians should and will be treated equally, and not discriminated against in any fashion.

Ил-96М

Trvlr

Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:59 pm

Actually now the percentage should be put up a few points now that everyone who is sympathetic to gays is a homosexual themselves, as Jetdude pointed out.  

This guy has problem.

Aaron G.

flashmeister

Mon Oct 09, 2000 1:16 pm

More than one, Trvlr  

Jetdude

Mon Oct 09, 2000 1:46 pm

Us fags (as you persist in calling us, and which I have no problem with as long as you don't say it to my face in a degrading manner, in which case you will soon feel my wraith) have had our revolution. Call it the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras if you will. If you would take the time to look outside your own little world (the US), you will see that Gay and Lesbians have a lot of influence in economics and politics, gained through the breaking down of barriers between the "mainstream" community.

Just look at World Pride 2000 in which the Vatican tried to get a march in Rome banned by the Italian Government. Firstly, I say that this is the Vatican meddling in the affairs of another sovereign nation, and seeing as the Italian government didn't have a bar of the Vatican demands, this in itself is another revolution.

And for you to say to us "Who has lost a loved one for the cause".....drongo!!. How many people have been killed just for the fact that they are gay. One need only mention the young college student in Montana (I think it was there), who was killed by two kids around the same age, and strung to a fence, only because he was gay. Oh, I suppose you give these cold-blooded murderers your 100% support?????

Do we have to have mass killings of gays before we are able to be recognised as fellow human beings? Do we have to have a despicable organisation that goes around killing gays for none other than the fact they are gay (sorta like the KKK for men of colour) before the general community says enough is enough and gives us the recognition we deserve?

Your comments on this thread, and in others which I have yet to reply to, are very narrowminded and not in the least in good taste. And be very careful in crying "I am a Yank, and I will say what I want because of freedom of speech", because this site is not an American site, but is hosted in Sweden, and as such you have to abide by Swedish law (and also the rules of this site). Oh my god, imagine that, an obviously Republican American having to abide by the laws of a liberal European country.  

flashmeister

Mon Oct 09, 2000 1:48 pm

Brissie_lions:

You're referring to Matthew Shepard... that horrible incident took place in Wyoming...

Ironically, Wyoming was once considered an ultra-liberal place, since it was the first state to grant women the vote...

Oh how things change!