Matt D
Topic Author

Getting Rich With Hot Pickles

Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:51 am

I'm amazed that no one has commented on this beauty.
Just when I thought I'd heard the most outrageous of lawsuits, I open the paper this morning to see this gem:

It seems that there is a lady out there that is suing McDonalds for the hefty sum of $110,000 for.....get this.....

Scalding her lip and chin because a hot pickle slice contained in the hamburger she was eating slid out of the bun, and came to rest on said chin, thus scalding her.
It gets even better. Apparently, her husband is joining in with an additional demand of about $10,000 because...and I quote:
"I am emotionally distraught because my wife can't 'service' me anymore."

When I heard about this, I wanted to run right over there and get a hot cup of coffee. I mean you know that's where they got the idea.
Talk about rooting for McDonalds here. These people should not only NOT get one thin dime, but should also pay McDonalds restitution for slander brought on by filing litigation this egregious.
I mean what the hell happened to accountability????????
If you are buying hot foods, shouldn't you maybe be a little vigilant on what you're doing? Where is it going to end? Using this logic, I should be able to sue the Orange County Register (the paper I read the story in) for at least a couple hundred thousand. I read that story, and my jaw hit the table, thus fracturing my mandible, loosening a couple of teeth, and causing me pain. My girlfriend should ask for a few thou as well because now I can't French kiss her, so she is emotionally distraught!!!!!! After all, had they not printed that story, I wouldn't have seen it, and my jaw wouldn't have dropped.

And you know what is really sad?
There's a good chance that ol' "Mickie D's" will actually pony up some dough just to settle this case.

I want to vomit.

What are your thoughts?

copper1

RE: Getting Rich With Hot Pickles

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:02 am

Right on Matt !

Seems to me that people should be licenced if they are going to eat or drink hot foods or beverages. We obviously need to protect these morons from themselves.

Copper 1

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:06 am

Expect Maccas to at the very least insist all it's franchises install special pickle cooling equipment to all it's stores.

mb

seven_fifty7

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:07 am

What are my thoughts?

I think that woman is actually your mother. She seems to be craving for attention an odd sort of way. Much like you always do here.

Gosh, the apple never falls too far from the tree.

ctbarnes

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:14 am

Just be thankful she didn't try to drink the coffee...

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Matt D
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:19 am

Mr 757...we seem to have a problem here. I'll tell you what....when I go to New York in 2 weeks, we need to have a little chat face to face.
I see your pro says you're a bartender at the 'port.
Well either you're a liar or you have some winner of an occupation.
I'll be at EWR, JFK, and LGA plenty of times and I'll be more than accomodating to your schedule.
Now let's see if you're as brave as you type, because believe me buddy, I am.

Matt D
Topic Author

Mr 757

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:23 am

Mr Tony Giordani eh?
Well, I have 2 weeks to make some phone calls and have some of my friends back there do some research for me.

seven_fifty7

RE: Matilda D.

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:38 am

Matty:

You're a little late, 'lil fella. I've already beat you to an invitation in the "Enough of This" thread by Nikolai. Go and read my post directed to you, you conservative fuckface.

And speaking of *beating*....

Well, let's just say I'm much more looking forward to your arrival here than you are. Flight number, airline and airport, please.

Remember, watch your manners, boy.

tbar220

Cut It Out!

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:46 am

Dear All Parties Involved,

Ok, screw being polite. To all of you, cut the ((pardon my French)) shit out. Keep your stupid insults and need to ruin a perfectly good message board topic. I and everybody else on this website are sick and tired of stupid, idiotic, foolish comments from you and anyone else. So cool it buddy. > 

Back to the original topic, sadly, I think McDonald's will lose this case. Lawyers will manage to convince judges, and even though it's pennies for MicDonald's, they will probably lose this case.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

JAT

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:49 am

As far as the Mc Donald's incident whic is incedentally the TOPIC AT HAND!!! I agree.

As far as the immature and choldish threats are concerend they should be erased. And although I don't particularly care, some people don't aprove of the swearing. So take your petty boasting, one-upping, and threating elsewhere.

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:56 am

Geezus Matt, would you shut up already? Is the internet the only place you get attention? Matt, you are desperately in need of attention badly. It's really lame Matt. Good God, why dont' you try watching TV or...something....

seven_fifty7

RE: Cut It Out!

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:57 am

Ok. I'm sorry Tbar220. I think I erred in showing everyone a tempermental side of me that doesn't really belong here. I'm embarrassed.

You know, I'm a fun-loving guy towards everyone.

--However, regarding my posts to Matt D. and his coming to NYC, ...well, I just simply wanted to know his arriving flight so that I can plant a big sloppy kiss on his conservative face when he gets here.

That's all.

administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:58 am

Suft, and especially SEVEN_FIFTY7 - enough with the flamebaits. You're part of the problem here. If you guys cannot discuss issues in a civilized manner I'm going to have to shut this forum down.

/ Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

N863DA

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:04 am

"You know, I'm a fun-loving guy towards everyone."

Well, if "I think that woman is actually your mother. She seems to be craving for attention an odd sort of way. Much like you always do here. The apple never falls too far from the tree" isn't a provocative statement, I don't know what is.

By The Way, isn't RealPages a great site? I definately think it is. (www.realpages.com)

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:12 am

Johan, EVERY POST MattD makes is a flamebait.

administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:15 am

Surf,

If you just concentrate on yourself, I'll worry about Matt.

Cheers
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Delta777-XXX

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:20 am

SEVEN_FIFTY7... I bet you feel like a big man now don't you?!? NO WAIT... I almost forgot... you are a "fun-loving guy"!

LAMO!!!!!  

I really enjoy most of MattD's posts. Most of the time they are educated statements. I really don't understand why everyone is so mad at him.

ANYWAYS... the McDonald's thing was pretty pitiful. How could they loose... they say that they serve there food hot. This is kinda dumb... some people are so ignorant... ahem, surf.  

tbar220

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:28 am

Dear MattD,

Apology most positively accepted. On my part, I guess I shouldn't have burst out like I did, but I was just so frustrated with all the comments from people. But its good to see that maybe...just maybe you are reconsidering your comments.

To surf and anybody else involved, the argument is over. Please just forget about it. Thanks.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:32 am

I did a search of the OC Register website and I did find a letter to the editor about the supposed incident. However, so far, I have yet to find any place else on the internet that would be considered a reputable source, that can confirm the story.

It is also easy to be followed by those with little life experience and those who are young and/or impressionable.

seven_fifty7

Tbar220

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:41 am

Dear Tbar220,

That wasn't Matt D. apologizing! That was me!

Oh dear. It's a very sad day if people are beginning to confuse me with Matt D.

On the other hand, I'm sure Mattie must be quite flattered.

I know I'd be if I were him.

tbar220

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:45 am

Woops! Well I just made an ass out of myself. Sorry seven_fifty7. That was intended for you. You know, if you want, you can even post a comment saying that you agree with me that I made an ass out of myself.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

N863DA

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:46 am

As I was saying, "You know, I'm a fun-loving guy towards everyone." We've seen this somewhat unreasonable 'Fun-loving side' before, on attacks on the South etc.

As I was also saying, RealPages.com really is a great sight. You can find people all over the country! All you have to do is type in their last name and their state and Bingo! There you have it. Isn't technology great? You can be on the other side of the country! And it still works.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

seven_fifty7

The N683AD Guy (Or Whatever)

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:58 am

We got your point the first time, Einstein.

And no, realpages.com *doesn't* always work.

Hmmmm. I got an idea... Why don't you post your real name for me. I'll call you to let ya know if it worked this time.

N863DA

Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:12 pm

Good.just checking.

And unlike some people here, I am not going to submit my personal information.   Somehow I think not. (I will be the first one to admit I dont have the 'balls' for it, as you Yankees would say) Besides, they probably don't have the data for college. (What a shame.)

Later y'all

FLY DELTA JETS
and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:54 pm

seven_fifty7 up to your old ways again?

MattD didnt say anything until you did, why couldnt you just comment your stance toward the McDonalds situation without insulting him?

I honestly think the person that is sueing should be executed by firing squad. Enough of these stupid lawsuits!

Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:25 pm

Aloha!
Wellwhat I feel about all these lawsuits over very silly reasons recently is people have found out that they can easily make money off the big companies for a lawsuit. All it is is another way of making money! And it works 90% of the time!! How stupid!!

Personally, I don't think the person should be shot, they just need to get a life, BIG TIME!!!

And for SEVEN_FIFTY_7 and Matt D, please stop fighting. How did this fight start? If don't see any reason WHY it should have started.

Please, lets enjoy ourselves on the forum! Relax!  
No offense, really,

SOUTHPACIFIC

chris28_17

Mr.757

Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:38 pm

Dude, you just wont quit will you?! Typical liberal, you hate anyone that wont agree with you. And you call us ignorant and hateful; when you point, theres 4 fingers pointing right back at you.

Why do you hate Matt so much? maybe because he states the truth in such an educated manner, you cant stand to listen to it, because, truth hurts your ego.

As for me, if you remember the post i sent to TWfirst some time back, i dont agree with a single word he says (for the most part) but i have utmost respect for him and his opinions; in fact, i'd like to shake the guy's hand, even though i cant for the life of me understand his opinions.

But instead you, since matt doesnt agree with you, decide to say stupid things that just make you look like the idiot. Which, most people here agree, it did!

Sorry about that, about the TOPIC, yes i laughed my a** off when i heard the pickle story. People are so self-centered it discourages me.

CHRIS

johnboy

Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:26 pm

There's not a whole lot that Matt D and I agree on either, but I gotta say, when I read this story in the San Francisco Chronicle, I just shook my head in amazement too.

Almost makes one want to write a letter to McDonald's and tell them if they settle this lawsuit, I'll never frequent their drive-thru again!

Behind the Orange Curtain, eh? Somehow I should have guessed..... 

Ilyushin96M

Only In America!

Wed Oct 11, 2000 8:38 pm

You know what...if our judicial system were more serious, these stupid lawsuits would be thrown out of court! Hell, I'm tempted to study and become a judge myself - you can believe I'd throw this kinda crap RIGHT out of my courtroom!

The US is the only country I know of where stupid people can file lawsuits like the one Matt D mentioned and get away with it. Time for us to take things a little more seriously.

RE: Only In America!

Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:42 pm

You could never ever do this here in Germany. And also not in any other country I know.
This is just ridiculous and dumb !!!! Poor America !!

B737-700

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:10 pm

Sad to see that these fights will never end ...

seven_fifty7

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:30 pm

That's right Nicolaki. You tell them.

That's why I absolutely will not respond to the hate-filled posts thrown at me from the likes of the Chris28_17 guy and the DeltaRNOmd-80 kid. I know their itching for a response from me. However, I want them to inhale deeply and hold their breaths while their waiting.

About the original McDonald's lawsuit, I think that Mrs. D, (um, I mean that woman), absolutely should go for it. She has a right. I find it utterly hypocritical that these republican basket cases like to criticize anyone wants to legally earn a buck. Afterall, rich republicans have been doing so for decades off the hard-working backs of the working class poor. The affluent republicans enjoy many tax loopholes and shelters that the poor cannot participate in. How do I know? Because I'm a business owner myself who can (and would like to) pay my employees higher wages, but need to put it off for now to further develop my businesses.

Don't blame the plaintiffs and their hard-working **REPUBLICAN** attorneys for all of these frivolous lawsuits. Blame the flawed American legal system that needs an enormous amount of work. That woman has a right! She's entitled to it. And she's using it. The attorneys, judges, accountants, and paralegals involved are all making money from it, and ARE PAYING RED, WHITE, AND BLUE AMERICAN TAXES from it. It's quintessential American productivity at it's best.

Isn't this how Reflubicans like things?

Ilyushin96M

SEVEN-FIFTY7

Wed Oct 11, 2000 11:45 pm

Hey, man, I hope you're not serious. Re-reading your post, I think it's a spoof, so I'll go with that.  

As far as this case goes...Next thing you know, all hot food served at fast food restaurants will be required to be wrapped in paper marked, "CAUTION! CONTENTS MAY BE HOT!!" Or maybe we won't be able to buy hot food to go any more because of the threat of lawsuits by stupid people like this. That's sooo ridiculous.

The question is raised, what would have happened if this stupid woman had put hamburger dill slices on a hamburger at HER OWN HOME, left them sit awhile on the hot meat, then burned herself similarly? Who would she have sued? The manufacturer of the grill the burgers were grilled on, the company that packaged the ground beef, or the company that canned the pickles? I could theroise arguments for all of these - the grill manufacturer didn't warn consumers that food served off their product could be hot; the meat processing plant didn't warn consumers that ground beef, when heated on a grill, can contain hot juices; and the canning company didn't warn consumers that pickles served atop a hot sandwich may become hot themselves.

Maybe we'll all get lucky, and this person and her husband will end up choking to death on fast food, thereby sparing the rest of the world from their pitiful existence.

chris28_17

RE: SEVEN-FIFTY7

Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:30 am

For the record, there was absolutely nothing hateful about my last post.

You, on the other hand cant seem to say anything BUT hateful.. here, remember saying these?:

""What are my thoughts?

I think that woman is actually your mother. She seems to be craving for attention an odd sort of way. Much like you always do here.

Gosh, the apple never falls too far from the tree. ""

Oh! and how could we forget this Kind remark???:

. Go and read my post directed to you, you conservative fuckface.

Whos the hateful one here??? even a liberal could probably figure that one out...

CHRIS

Skyteam

SEVEN_FIFTY7

Thu Oct 12, 2000 5:10 am

FOR GODS SAKE SEVEN_FIFTY7, SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!! I GET SO DAMN TIRED OF YOU STARTING A BUNCH OF SHIT, AND MAKING COMMENTS AT PEOPLE. THIS FORUM WAS GOOD UNTIL YOU CAME ON HERE.

GO MATT D!!!!!
GO HANK!!!!!

SKYTEAM

Thu Oct 12, 2000 6:05 am

ooo Skyteam, I think you need to rethink your second to the last comment there...really....

Thu Oct 12, 2000 6:16 am

I'm not saying in any way this woman's lawsuit is valid.

But I have a question.

How many times have you gone into a fast food restaurant and blew on your hamburger before eating it? Personally for me, never.

They just don't serve em that hot.

So assumming that the woman DID get scalded by the pickle (which I doubt), I wonder just how hot did they have the burgers heated up to? I mean, a burger patty isn't gonna heat up a pickle that much.

So I'm just wondering if there are industrial guidelines for food service establishments as to the *maximum* temperature for foods.

If something is served SO hot that it would give your mouth third degree burns (like the coffee incident), then isn't it too hot to be served in the first place? Something that hot can't be consumed. I mean, third degree burns are real bad. Do you know how hot something has to be to give somene *third* degree burns???

So that is my question. Are there guidelines for food service establishments that govern the *maximum* temperature for food served, in addition to minimum cold storage requirements?

Mabye if state agencies/boards of health enacted such limits, then no one could ever bring such a lawsuit becuase the food would NEVER be served so hot that it *could* burn someone that way. If it was proven that it did, it would mean the regulation was violated, and the case would be much more clear cut. See what I mean?

Now, just to repeat, I'm not saying this woman's case has or has not any validity, I'm just asking some questions here to think about.

Skyteam

Surf

Thu Oct 12, 2000 9:27 am

Thanks for the information Surf  

SKYTEAM

Thu Oct 12, 2000 9:49 am

???