Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Australian Beer Fued?

Wed Oct 25, 2000 12:29 pm

My friend, who is going to be studing aboard in Australia, thinks there is a bitter beer fued between Queensland and New South Wales as to which has the better beer.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

- Neil Harrison

RE: Australian Beer Fued?

Wed Oct 25, 2000 1:14 pm

Hhhhm,

Maybe there was a few years ago, and it would definitely be the Queenslanders that carry on about it.

But I was up there just last week and you can get any beer you want these days - on tap.

I haven't heard any weird "Banana Bender Beer" comments as such anywhere here in Sydney.

The beer in QLD is Powers and XXXX (fourex). The beer in NSW is Tooheys NEW and Reschs. We have so many beers here now it's not funny!

My favourite beer is Stella.

Hey Scotty,

Is Swan still around? Can't recall seeing it for a while?

mb

Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:59 pm

It is called XXXX coz Queenslanders can't spell BEER! It is piss which I put in the same class as Fosters. No self-respecting Aussie would touch it with a ten-foot barge pole.

Over West we still have Emu Bitter, Emu Draft, 1857 Bitter, Emu Export, Swan Draught, Swan Gold and Swan Mid by the Swan Brewery.

By Carlton and United, we have Matilda Bay Bitter, Matilda Bay Premium, Fremantle Bitter Ale, Matilda Bay Pilsner, Matilda Bay Draught, Seven Seas Ale/Brass Monkey Stout (only available at the Sail and Anchor in Fremantle).

Myself, I drink Victoria Bitter as a home brand and Gambrinus (a pilsner from Plzen, Czech Republic)

Macair SAAB

Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:20 pm

I really do agree with Brissie_lions, the only time I'd drink Fourex is if there was no other beer and I was REALLY desperate.

I much rather pay the $16.00 and buy a 6-pack of Budweiser, which I prefer over any Australian beer.

- Macair SAAB

Macair

Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:32 pm

Budweiser over Australian beer? Puhleeeze....that is pushing it a bit far.......Fosters and XXXX I can understand......but not Budweiser over most other Aussie beers...another good drop is Cascade and Boags (the only good things to come out of Tassie).

Cheers

Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:25 pm

Being a Sydney boy, I'm chuffing down a Tooheys New as I type. I applaud the consistently refreshing tones of this fine ale, and am repeatedly surprised by its light-bodied but mellow-bitter after taste. Further, it comes elegantly presented in an opaque brown bottle with a delicate white boardered label, and can even be purchased in a bundle of six, or better still twenty four.

That beats your snotty-nosed exotic Czech sample or your overpriced Buttweiser.

Brissie I'm disappointed in you - I imagined you would be a real man and drink Tooheys.

SAAB - can you really get Buttweiser in Townsville?

Yours in beerarrogance.

Law_boy

PS - As for beer rivalry - Tasmania takes the cake - after all, what else do they have?

sccutler

Mmmm, Beer.

Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:44 pm

As you may or may not know, the only Australian beer most Americans know of is Foster's, which have a very aggressive advertising campaign in the 'States ("Foster's: It's Australian for beer, mate.").

When I went to SA last year, my brother-in-law scoffed at the mention of Foster's, saying "It's crap beer."

I enjoyed Cooper's (sorry, I forget which variety, but the label was red).

And, for what it's worth, I don't drink "Buttwiper" here; don't know why I would anywhere else.

I also liked some of the wines I tried in Barossa Valley area, although I notice that the "samples" they give at the wineries there are very generous, and very few of the "samplers" spit anything out into the buckets. If I'd driven on the way back from that outing, I'd for sure have drifted to the right (thus, wrong) side of the road by drunken force of habit. My rellie drove, listening to a big cricket test to keep him awake and alert, though (to me) listening to cricket and staying awake are absolutely mutually-exclusive.

BTW, Law Boy- I'd like to correspond a bit, some time, about the practice of law in Australia, etc.- maybe come up with some appropriate pretense for writing off a trip to Australia as a business expense (!).

Law_Boy

Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:47 pm

I would rather drink a bucket of cat's piss than drink a Toohey's, and it would probably taste better as well.

But then again, I hear you are a champagne boy.....so what would you really know about fine beer (then again....you do live in Sydney, so that answers my question).....PUHLEEEEZE

Scotty

NJTurnpike

Thu Oct 26, 2000 10:09 pm

Is there any place I can get hold of Victoria Bitter in the eastern US? Always wanted to try the stuff but never found it, even in those places where I can buy Brit beer.

"Foster's: Australian for Piss"  

~NJTurnpike

Thu Oct 26, 2000 11:36 pm

NJTurnpike

Try emailing Carlton & United Breweries to see if they might know.

I just checked the Fosters website and it doesn't look like Victoria Bitter is distributed in America by Fosters International. I think that in Canada, Fosters is distributed by Molson's, but not sure about America.

But usually the best bet on stuff like this is to contact the nearest Australian embassy and/or consulate. These guys must be able to get the stuff there from somewhere. When I was in Canada a couple of years ago, and ran out of Vegemite, I rang the Australian consulate in Vancouver, and they gave me the name and phone number of a specialty shop in the downtown area which stocked it, so I take it home-grown beer would be no different.

Otherwise, try to find contact details in the US for either Fosters Brewing or Fosters International. I don't know where abouts they are though

Check out this site though....good info on our beers

http://www.australianbeers.com/

Oh yeah......here's the official site for an Australian brand of beer which should be self explanatory:

http://www.pi55.com/

Good luck dude

Scotty

Pilot1113
Topic Author

My Friend

Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:55 am

Hey...

Would any of you care to meet my friend when she comes to your country in mid-February?

She's going to know no one there.  

Oh... she's flying into Brisbane, I believe.

Thanks!

- Neil Harrison

NJTurnpike

Fri Oct 27, 2000 2:18 am

Thanks for all the info Brissie...will take a good look for it. This will give the Aussie Consulate a laugh; a Brit living in the US wanting to find a place selling Aussie beer. That'll make their day!

Won't bother with the Vegemite tho. If it's anything like Marmite (and I'm sure it is), then I'll not walk within 10 miles of a jar  

~NJTurnpike

Samurai 777

Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:58 am

Foster's is distributed by Molson Breweries in Canada, but I personally don't usually drink it, though - the Foster's in Canada doesn't taste as good as the real Aussie thing! But it's found in a lot of Canadian liquor stores. Coopers (red label), and Boag's are found in there, too.

Besides, I miss the taste of Victoria Bitter even more!

NOTE: Next time any of you Aussies go up to Canada, Vegemite can actually be found in most major supermarket chains like Safeway and Save-On Foods! It's usually found in the specialty foods or spreads section. You don't even have to find a specialty store or phone the local Australian Consulate! 

Macair SAAB

Bogan Townsville And Budweiser

Fri Oct 27, 2000 5:14 pm

Yes, you can actually get Bud (the legal type) up here in Townsville (bogan capital of North Queensland), but you have to look in the right place.

There are only 3 or 4 botle shops that sell it, and the prices are $3.00 a bottle, $16.00 a six-pack (complete with 'cardboard' case to carry it in, brilliant American thinking at it's best  ), or $60.00 for a carton.

But you have to admit, it's better than fourex, gulf, 303, or any of the other dog's-pi55 beers they sell widely up here.

- Macair SAAB

P.S. I heard one of my mates say this after he had a few one night. "I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings."

Fri Oct 27, 2000 6:31 pm

Brissie

I am a beer AND champagne boy - spirits are for dry cleaning! But there's nothing like a pleasant ale to lead into a nice drop of bubbly, and I will fight for the right to be bi-fermentive!

Hey Scuttler - happy to chat any time about legal careers in Australia - at the moment, Brisbane is the short supply legal market in which to get a job without too much drama. US qualifications require further studies and local bar admittance though, but you might chance it for a consulting role to an international firm - depends on your area of specialty.

And Neil - let us know when your friend is coming and we can meet her for a beer (Toohey's New of course).

Finally Samurai777 - Canada Rules!

And to sign off in the enviable style of N863DA:

GULP TOOHEYS NEW and SIP YELLOWGLEN CHAMPAGNE!

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Law_Boy

Mon Oct 30, 2000 4:41 am

I think she's coming out towards the end of February. February 20th sounds right to me.

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Law_Boy

Mon Oct 30, 2000 4:45 am

Oh...

I passed her your email address from your profile. I hope you don't mind.

Her name's Dierdre Thauer.

Thanks!

- Neil Harrison