Matt D
Topic Author

The Great Divide

Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:16 pm

No this is not a topic about the Rocky Mountains (although that probably would've been a much better idea). All this talk, debating, arguing and what have you that has been going on. Has anyone looked past that? As stated in an earlier post, no matter who eventually gets sworn in, that person will forever live under a cloud of suspicion, anger, and resentment from the other half the country. Be it Gore or be it Bush that gets in, the opposing party will snipe him at the first available opportunity. Here we are at an impasse. there is a huge gap between the left and right. Each side is staring across at the other, seething with rage, rancor and bitterness. Neither side seems willing to make the first move towards a compromise. Both sides only care about themselves and would just assume push the other side off the cliff rather than attempt to build a bridge across it. Granted, there have always been differences in the country, but they have never ever reached this pinnacle of hostility on such a personal level as we see today. I won't go into the specifics because I've done that one too many times, and anyone that reads this knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Why?
How did we get to this great idealogical great divide?
Why doesn't anyone care about reaching a compromise?
Why is neither side willing to accept the law as it is?
Why is poking a stick in your rivals eye more important than trying to work together?
Are we past the point of no return?
Can we expect the political and philosphical clashes to worsen until it pinnacles into an all out Civil War?
How can we get back the 'agree to disagree. Let's at least get the basics done' mindset?

RE: The Great Divide

Sat Nov 11, 2000 1:22 pm

I think the two-party system may have a lot to do with that, Matt...