Church Leaders Need To Step Into This Century.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 1:56 pm

Howdy all,

My impression of my church elders and leders is deterorating exponetialy. I am trying to find a way of reconciling with my mom and sister so I decidid to speak to the preachers at our church that we hav been going to since I was little. The church and preacher shal remian nameles.

I had a private meeting with my preacher and tried to get some help from him. After explaining the situation he basicaly told me that I was a sexual deviant and god will punish me as such. He also said that I should seek help for this behavior and right my deviant ways. He then went on to say that my mother and sister wer not to blame for my deviance and had every right to react the way they did. He told me the life of a homosexual is holow, sick, perverted and very sad. Parting he asked that I not atend his church again until I sorted my problem out.

I was stunned. I always liked our preacher, he always apeared to be so kind and soulful. What I discovered after my disclosure was that he was no diferent than any small minded bigot. I was hurt too that he asked me to not come back to the church. Why, when in need am I turned on by some of the very people I trusted. I went to the preacher for help not an ear bashing or lecture. This is the 21st century and it maks me want to cry that people still have such outdated and ignorant views.

A very sad Adam

ctbarnes

RE: Church Leaders Need To Step Into This Century.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:16 pm

... And a very disgusted Charles.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who claim to be of God can be so small minded when it comes to human beings. To kick you in the teeth like that when you need them most is not only insensitive and cruel, I believe it to be very un-Christian.

Adam, if I were you I'd find another church where you can be accepted for who you are.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

cba

Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:21 pm

Last year, some guy was saying that he didn't want to associate with some other person because they were gay. Our teacher heard this, and asked, "And so what if he's gay?" The guy then said, "Gay people are going to hell, and I don't want to be around anybody who's going to hell."

I attended a Catholic mass over the summer (I'm not catholic bashing, most of my family are catholics, this is just one specific preist). The priest spent most of the service condeming homosexuality. It was sick!

Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:52 pm

The above that I posted for Adam is very sad indeed. (His new PC's software is on the fritz and he can't post anything.) I have spoken with him at great length about the many issues that he is facing both via e-mail and phone. He is very confused and it was me who suggested to him to speak to his familys priest as I thought that he/she would be at least some comfort and be benign under the circumstances. How wrong was I?

Adam will be reading all your messages of support if you have any but won't be able to reply to them until his PC is fixed. In the meantime I will forward his comments as he sends them to me.

mb

ctbarnes

Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:14 pm

MX5boy:

You had no way of knowing his pastor would behave like that. It isn't your fault. One ought to be able to turn to God in a time of crisis, and the cornerstone to pastoral counselling must be compassion, whatever the personal beliefs of the counsellor are.

Charles

Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:34 pm

Oh how I would love to write a book on this post, but I'm running out of time, so expect to see my name here tomorrow 

I'll give you a preview.

The church is sickeningly outdated. Theirs views come from interpretations of the bible that they manipulate to make their personal homophobia seem justified. I remember the first time I saw that famous anti-gay website (godhatesfags.com) I could not sleep at all that night. I kept thinking of how many gays we're being tormented because of another's sick hatred. I thought of all the children who would stumble upon that website and allow it's message to corrupt their minds. I thought of every single person who would let it get to them, and it got to me. I didn't waste any time writing him, he's gotten thousands of letters, mine won't change his views. So what am I to do that no one else hasn't tried? There's nothing I can do, and that's what got to me most of all. With the Internet laws as loose as they are, this guy can keep on hating and corrupting.

I've heard horror stories of people actually killing themselves because they can not decide which is more important, their church or their life. I say, if it comes down to that, for God's sake choose life! Any good priest will tell you them same thing, but they are few and far between.

I'll be back to post more tomorrow.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:53 pm

Charles,

I know that I had no way of knowing what would have transpired, I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination and don't particlularly like it. But I do know the value of speaking with ones elders and an important one at that, someone who you know you can trust.

The fact that Adams priest, sorry preacher (diff?) watched Adam grow up and was a friend of the family makes it more the worse. In his current situation Adam is now a little lost (understated) and only has his dad at the moment who is not much help as he is in the same boat.

mb

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Nov 15, 2000 4:39 pm

Holy crap man... I dont understand how people that are that high in the church can be that unloving. The principle rule in Christianity is obviously believe in Christ that He is your savior....and to love others. It sickens me to hear about something like that...which only adds fuel to the unfortunate fire that someone like Were Nuts has agianst being Christian. I personally do not think that homosexuality is right...but i dont go condemning people for being gay or telling them they are not welcome around me or in teh church (whatever denomination). Please tell adam and his dad this... there are Christians out there who are not encased in their own self righteousness like that pastor/priest whatever he is.
Chicks dig winglets.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 5:02 pm

Well, I'm not exactly "against" being of any religion. I just cannot support or tolerate any organization that holds such hatred for another human, especially one in need of help. Doesn't sound much like the message of the Bible to me. Adding insult to injury isn't the way to spread a religion of love and peace.

As far as I'm concerned, the judging and condemning should be left to yourself and your God.

CPDC10-30

Wed Nov 15, 2000 7:32 pm

Not to say that all Christians are homophobic, but there are other religions that don't condem homosexuality: Buddhism, Taoism, Unitarian etc. My parents go to a Unitarian church and they have a float in the Pride Parade. It was always kind of amusing to me but I'm not relgious at all myself and am not really interested.

Don't get too upset over it though. Such people are a very small minority these days.

Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:34 am

I think Adam777 is a hoax. Have thought since the day he appeared.

Matt D

Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:58 am

I'm afraid I agree with CTBarnes first post. The Church really does need to unload the hypocrisy and lighten up a bit if they plan to be around much longer.

ctbarnes

Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:20 am

MX5,

I guess that was the point I was trying to make. I still think you were right to suggest he talk to someone he thought he could trust. It's a shame that on top of everyting else, he has to deal with this too.

BTW, just out of curiosity, is the pastor who said this Catholic?

Charles

Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:36 am

Adam777 is a hoax. I shared this belief with a fellow forum member, via email, shortly after "Adam" appeared.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:43 am

Now that i think about it...that does make sense...especially that thing with his dad.
Chicks dig winglets.

Thu Nov 16, 2000 7:34 am

Surf,

Under any other circumstances I would tell you what I think. However, you neglect to consider the fact that Adam lives vicariously through this web site and a couple of others. His only friends consist of us and maybe a couple of others but only on-line. He contacted me through my posting of my e-mail address, a very lonely young man. Before you carry on with conspiracy theories consider the delicate situation please.

mb (mx5_boys@yahoo.com)

Thu Nov 16, 2000 9:49 am

Has he considered counseling? They won't judge him.

woody

RE: Church Leaders Need To Step Into This Century

Thu Nov 16, 2000 10:40 am

Tell Adam that there are are many churches that are "enlightned". Presbiterians have the "More Light" denominations, there's the Unitarian church, the United Church of Christ-Congregational Church, the Metropolitan Chuch, the People's Church, the Catholic Church has the "Dignity" denominations that are gay friendly, the Lutheran Church has gay friendly denominations, the American Bapist's are gay friendly. There are so many churches that welcome gay people, and there are also churches that specifically cater to gays and lesbians. It may be a big change to go to a different church, but a you'll find people who value you and will listen to you without judging you.

LH423

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:04 am

If Adam can read this, or Mx5 if you are passing this along, I would like to say that your story is truly disheartening to one naïve person (me) who thought that homosexuality is no longer seen as a "sin". Personally, I don't put much stock into hypocritical organisations like churches. I believe in God, but I don't think that the only way to receiving God and His guidance is by trudging out into the cold weather, going to a plain, building, and listen to someone go on about how God loves alll, yada yada yada! I believe that if you believe in God, and you pray, then God shall be there for you.

I'm not much of a counsellor, nor am I a "spiritual advisor", but I'm a concerned person. I tried e-mailing you, but you're e-mail is not listed, so if you get this message, and you would like someone to talk to, I'm just letting you know that I'm more than willing. If not, that's fine as well, the offer stands!

LH423
a.k.a. Ted Thompson
britair767@yahoo.co.uk
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

fanoftristars

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:10 am

Yes, this is a very delicate subject. It seems like homosexuality and christian religion don't really go hand in hand. I don't think it is simply "changing churches" to find one that preaches to your liking. I think that if you are homosexual and you really want that relationship with god, you're not going to find it in most churches. If you want a relationship with god, you need to pray to him and listen for inspiration. He will guide you. I don't want to sound sappy, but it is something that I completely believe.

My own personal church believes that homosexuality is basically a deviant lifestyle, but it would never ask someone not to attend until they "straighten up." Personally, I don't think it is that easy. I don't think that people choose this lifestyle. If it was a choice, I think there would be a lot less homosexual people because they would simply "choose" a heterosexual lifestyle because it may be easier for them in their community. I believe if a homosexual person was stuck in a hetrosexual lifestyle, it is as unnatural for them as it would be for a heterosexual stuck in a homosexual relationship. I think it is much deeper than just a sexual desire, I think it goes down to the very core of a human being. Their soul craves the soul of the same sex.

Maybe this is not making sense, but I believe that our souls have many appetites. One for me is being in nature. Being in the out doors, up in our surrounding mountains pleases my soul. It is so restful to the soul. I feel that sexual preference is tied to these appetites of the soul. Anyway, how do all of you feel about this?

Well one more thing, I know god loves us. He has never stopped loving any of his childern, so if a preist or pastor tells you otherwise, they need to search thier souls and really find god's love. His is the true unconditional love, I know this for fact.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:18 am

Given that I am on the other side of the planet, does anyone know of any gay christian organisations in the Atlanta area that are definitely reputable? Looking at the net is not an option as it would need to be somewhere that someone "knows" about or has heard good things.

Thanks for you suggestions.

mb

CPDC10-30

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:24 am

The Metropolitian Community Church is a sure-fire bet if he is looking for a Christian organization. While Unitarians aren't Christian, they study the religion and respect those who follow it and are legendary for their inclusivness.

Or on the other hand, ditch the church and look for some real friends...just my humble opinion  

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:03 pm

Is the Unitarian church the one that L. Ron Hubbard writes all those wierd books about? I have seen them on bookshelfs and the covers have all this space/sci fi stuff on it, I would guess its more of a cult. CPDC is right, they are not a Christian religion, but we cant control that. Tom Cruise and John Travolta are in that church that was started by L. Ron Hubbard, which I believe is the Unitarian church.

CPDC10-30

Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:20 pm

Is the Unitarian church the one that L. Ron Hubbard writes all those wierd books about? I have seen them on bookshelfs and the covers have all this space/sci fi stuff on it, I would guess its more of a cult.

My God no. You are thinking about the Church of Scientology. Unitarians don't really have any strict beliefs at all.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Nov 16, 2000 1:35 pm

oops, now I remember, sorry  

Thu Nov 16, 2000 3:14 pm

How about that Church of Free Thought that recently opened in... New York?

Any, until the Catholic church starts loving everyone, I'll be staying far, far away. Judging is between you and your God, no one else.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Nov 16, 2000 3:33 pm

I used to go to smoke rise baptist church in atlanta...it is a great church and i have alot of friends up there. Its in the stone mountain area. The pastor is amazing and very accepting yet straightforward and true... i have alot of respect for him..try it out. Also 722 is on tuesday nights up in the marietta area. its at 7 pm and is amazing. if you have faith in Him, God will show you the way i promise.
Chicks dig winglets.

Thu Nov 16, 2000 5:00 pm

XFSU,

What is the smoke rise baptist church? I think what Adam needs is someone most of all to discuss the many issues that he is facing at the moment, not via e-mail or over the phone, he needs personal contact, whats 722 about, as it is in his area I think.

mb

steman

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:43 pm

Well,
if you are interested in the opinion of a guy coming from the very Catholic Italy just read what I have to say:

WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE CHURCHES!!!

Regards

Stefano

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:57 am

Smoke Rise Baptist Church is a baptist church in town that i grew up in and is my home church when i am back in town. Its just a really good church and very from the heart. It is big, but not one of those "TV" churches. He should talk with the pastor there...i am sure he would have some good things to say and some encouragement and guidance. 722 is just a worship service on the northside of town it would be good to go to. It is HUGE. Like 5000 people come every week. Its just really good worship and they have an awesome speaker there...who also im sure he could go talk to afterwards.
Chicks dig winglets.

Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:53 am

Adam777 is a hoax.