Matt D
Topic Author

A Nation Of Ingrates

Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:56 am

Following is an excerpt from my local papers editorial section from today. I could not have said it better myself. Two thumbs up to the lady that wrote it, and I salute the San Gabriel County Tribune for printing it.
------------------------------------------------------
Where are patriots?
If you remember the 1960 election, Nixon vs. Kennedy, then you know that this is different. Vice President Nixon met with Sen. Kennedy, he decided to put the country first, not contest the fraud. The circus in Florida is more of the same with the Clinton-Gore administration, the bimbos, lies, impeachment etc.

Both Nixon and Kennedy served in the Navy and grew up in another time. The words of President Kennedy, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" are lost on this nation of foreigners, illegal aliens and ungrateful Americans. Where have all the patriots gone?

Our immigration policy of "all come" has changed America, but not for the better. Will our grandchildren and great-grandchildren live in the United States of the Third World, with crowded schools, crowded cities, roads and highways, shortage of water, housing, etc., etc.? In election 2000, the most important thing was one-party-rule and abortion rights. Shades of the Soviet Union, 1917.
------------------------------------------------------

Like I said, I couldn't have agreed more had I wrote it myself.
This of course is what I've been saying all along.
Todays youth, immigrants, and people that just don't care should be ashamed of themselves.
If they don't like it here, I'll give them a ride to the airport.
And let's close our borders once and for all, shall we?
I know that America was built on people fleeing their homelands to escape persecution, and hopes of becoming better people. But that was 1885. Now it's 2000. Th difference now is that nobody comes here for the reasons that they did a century ago. Oh sure maybe a miniscule handful do, and even more SAY they do, but the overwhelming reality is that they come here, don't even bother to learn the language or culture. They sit on their ass, demand that we subsidize them. they pop out kid after kid, choking up our schools, roads, and hospitals. Wages have been in a freefall here in CA. Wonder why? Many of them never even finish high school, and far fewer of them attend college. They disrespect our country in more ways than I have time to write. And when taxpayers such as myself that pay for those loafers finally say enough is enough, we are instantly labelled as rascist and intolerant.

mirage

RE: A Nation Of Ingrates

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:16 am

"And let's close our borders once and for all, shall we?"
Matt D, this is a fascist ideal, I hope you're not so angry as you look. The USA as the number one economic power in the world has to deal with immigrants, you have to live with that.

KROC

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:22 am

Personally, I feel that the US, number one economic power of not, has to start doing something to at least limit immigration. America needs to take care of Americans first and foremost before the rest of the world. How is it that the US spends billions apon billions of dollars in foreign aid, yet there are starving kids in the U.S.? Its time the US looks at its own, and less about the rest of the world. The Anti-American sentiment worldwide is strong, because these other nations are jealous of the U.S., and the quality of life most Americans enjoy. Any country with Anti-US sentiment should be left off the US's foreign aid list.

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:23 am

True. Maybe saying we should close it off entirely is a bit extreme. I agree with what you said. But by the same token, we need to somehow curtail this unlimited one way flow into this country that is causing more harm than good. There needs to be some standards in place, and some rigorous follow up in such areas as self sufficency (that means no hand-outs from the government-not for more than 90 days anyway), competency in the language (this would be a requirement for green cards and/or citizenship), and so on.
I understand that Australia has some of the strictest immigration policies in the world. Some may see them as being harsh. But at the same time, I don't imagine that they have the immigration issues that we do. Maybe if we adopt a system like theirs.

CPDC10-30

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:46 am

Although I do not live in the US, Matt D is expressing an opinion which is also heard in Canada but seldom expressed.

Lets take the example of my boyfriend's mother. She immigrated to Canada from with her children at the end of 1993, being sponsored by her husband. Until this day, she knows very little English and has not been employed - and has no desire to. Her earnings are derived from a business in her former home country. She has never recieved any form of government handouts available to immigrants, and is now studying to become a Canadian citizen (her English is improving  ). She pays her taxes and supports the local economy.

Why is it so important that she conforms immediatley to the white culture, as Matt D suggests? There are plenty of things to do for people who speak only Cantonese. She is proud of living in Canada and will soon be a citizen despite her limited language skills. She is in no way harming anyone in her adopted home and has given her children many opportunities that they never would have had if they had not immigrated.

This is the story relevant to many immigrants these days. Even those who do temporarily use government assistance usually contribute greatly to the economy and culture of their new homeland. Before you think of locking the gates, put yourself in a similar situation.

avion

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:07 am

Australia has probably the least strict immigration policy in the world. I think they give you the passport after you lived there for just one year!

And dont think this is a problem that only the US has. Western Europe is overflowed with immigrants from Eastern Europe and Turkey. It is happening to all first world countries.

Avion

frequence plus

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:41 am

Interesting how a white person can complain about immigration as though any of us(African, European, Asian or Arabic) are indigenous to this part of the world.
Get a clue.

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:47 am

I think we are getting a bit off topic here. This was not really meant to be a focus on immigration. Please read the text that I quoted.

DG_pilot

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:08 am

While realizing you were not focusing on immigration, I have a few things to add myself.

I strongly agree to having much, much stricter immigration policies. The people that come in here, take up space, get handouts, and then pop babies out left and right simply have to be stopped. Sometimes the right thing to do is not the nicest thing to do. But then again, are they themselves being nice?

Matt D, I'm surprised you haven't, if not yet, been called a racist or even been associated with a racist. Anytime anyone on here posts their opinions on another group of people, folks like Frequence plus rush to call them a racist and a bigot. Its amazing how much whining he does himself.

Good post man. You are a patriot.
Dustin

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:28 am

Matt D That Coment Was very true so all my respect shall go to you

KROC

Frequence Plus

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:31 am

With all do respect, you don't see a huge influx of immigrants to African, Asian, or Arabic countries. They are the ones that are moving into the the U.S. and Western Europe.

almbluzman

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:40 am

okay matt -
i have put off responding to your posts for as long as i could. i understand and actually agree with the point that the article tries to make in asking "where all of the patriots went?". what in the freakin' crap do immigrants have to do with this? let me ask you this - you post an article that starts out with a noble idea and ends up bashing immigrants and you expect no one to go ahead and question the article? you obviously have not spent much time looking into the issue of immigration and have founded your beliefs on some idea that this country should not allow, and was not founded on, the theory that people should have the opportunities to chase after their dreams and find those proverbial "streets paved with gold". go ahead - tell me again how you like mexicans and how you have friends who are immigrants - i find it hard to believe because if i had a friend who was willing to practically stab my family in the back because some of us were not born here, that friendship would be over pretty quickly. i have sat through several threads like these of yours and i have always bit my tongue and let it go. no more. i'm gonna just wait now for you or someone else to trash me...don't worry, cause i'll be re-loading for the next round.

respectfully signed by the son of an immigrant,

almbluzman

LH423

Sun Nov 19, 2000 11:35 am

You guys are missing the point of Fréquence Plus' remark.

While I am anti-immigration, Fréquence was simply stating that no race in the United States, except Native American's are from here. At one point or another, every non-Native had family come from another part of the world. Me, my family came to the US as Irish, British, Scottish, and Canadian immigrants. I, while being white, am a part of the "Melting pot". But I do think that the US has gotten to the point where it's time to curb immigration. I think the quota system works well, just so long as there are provisions made for political refugees. During WWII, 20 000 Jewish children were sent back to Nazi Germany because the German quota, or number of immgrants allowed for that year, had been reached. So there is a need for revision, but a set limit on immigrants, proportional to a countries population is best.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

jderden777

Sun Nov 19, 2000 12:58 pm

that's a powerful statement...makes ya think doesn't it?? anybody read 1984 or Fahrenheit 451?

jderden777
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Greeneyes53787

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:03 pm

That's pretty harsh Matt.

But it is true that we might need a better control of the influx of new Americans.

G

Ps-didn't read anyone's posts yet.

RealHigh

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:25 pm

RE: CPDC10-30
Matt D can't put himself in someone else's situation because Matt D is perfect!  
Matt D was sent down from God as an angel and is flawless!

Actually Matt D is a closet homosexual with a lot hate build up inside of himself. He is so insecure of himelf, he lives behind a computer screen spewing out his racist rhetoric!

Matt D, come on up to San Francisco!
I have lots of male friends who would just love to turn you out! 

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:35 pm

RealHigh... that was UN-CALLED FOR. If we only had a disrepected users option.....

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:04 pm

hmm, thats an interesting assumption you got there, RealHigh. Seeing as you have never seen or met Matt, and you can already almost tell his life's story. That is truly amazing!   I agree partly with closing the borders, that is, the south borders of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas  

AerLingus

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:09 pm

I support US immigration.
I am not saying that to be politically correct.
Some will argue that there are too many unproductive immigrants. Well, the simple and plain truth is that there are many unproductive 'Americans' as there are new arrivals.
My only complaint is that drivers exams, citizenship exams, and other forms should only be in English. I think that before immigrants come stateside, they need to be fluent in the English language.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

almbluzman

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:16 pm

so what? no one has anything to say in response to my post? what's the matter? i finished reloading a while ago...just give me a target - how 'bout it?

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:22 pm

It's not that we CAN'T say anything. It's just that we WON'T.
Why humor you like that when the idea that you are looking for a fight is about as subtle as a slap across the face with a steel pipe?

almbluzman

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:35 pm

hey matt -
what gives you the idea that i'm looking for a fight? i'm just hoping that you can give me some justification why hard-working tax-paying people like the ones in my family aren't supposed to be allowed into this country? what do you say matt - does that sound like a steel pipe being rapped across your face? i don't think so...

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:39 pm

I think what we have a failure to communicate here-which incidentally is part of the problem-LANGUAGE!
I'm not opposed to letting people who can and will be self suficient in. It's the multi-generation welfare recipients that I have an issue with.
What gives me clout to say that? Because they are living off of my money...that I worked for, and am not seeing a dime of. Quite frankly, I'm too stingy and selfish to want to share it with those people.

frequence plus

RE: DG Pilot

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:54 pm

No whining here DG Pilot...
Did I call Matt D a racist?
No
Did I say that he doesn't have the right to post his opinions?
No
Do I agree with his opinions?
No
However, he does have the right to have them, no matter how twisted and backwards they may seem to me.
Patriot?
You gotta be kiddin me
Was Matt's post all about lambasting 'other immigrants'?
Absolutely! The quote went in that direction and so did Matt's conclusions.
Me whining?
Hell no
You maybe just ego stroking Matt?
hmmm...Yes
You have life and all its mysteries 'squared away'?
I think not!
When you're finished popping the zits on your face, you can open your chute and come back down to Earth.
nuff said!

almbluzman

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:01 pm

okay so you don't want to pay for the lazy ones with your hard-earned dollars? that's cool. i don't want to pay for any lazy people either - whether they are immigrants or "natives." as far as assimilation goes, let me provide an example of an irish-catholic family that assimiliated very well. the kennedy's. they emigrated here and have gone on to become one of the most powerful and influential families in this country. it may not have happened overnight, but i don't know why anyone in their right mind would believe that it does happen overnight. so apparently the idea that immigrants refuse to assimilate has been around for quite awhile and has been used to promote ill-feelings toward immigants from all over the world.

close the borders? how about this fact - contrary to popular belief, most aliens do not cross the border illegally but enter legally and remain after their student or visitor visa expires. so i guess that building a wall at the border won't solve the "problem". i wonder why it is that we would only build a wall along the southern border with mexico?

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:08 pm

You're right. Building a wall along the southern border won't curb the flow. They will dig, or parachute their way in. Seriously though, if we just eliminate the incentive for them to come (meaning no more free hand outs of any kind), a 4 foot chain link unguarded fence will be more than ample.
Why don't we have a wall along our northern border?
We don't need it.

almbluzman

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:19 pm

immigrants come here for a "free handout"? do me a favor and define "free"? nothing is free especially in the good old u.s.a. let me qoute george borjas, an economics professor at the university of california at san diego: "the nation's twenty million immigrants currently receive $1.1 billion more in cash welfare payments than they pay into the welfare system through taxes." sounds pretty good to you so far, huh? but, mr. borjas goes on to say that "by working and spending on things like food, rent, and clothing, they also contribute $5 billion annually to the economy. net gain for the united states: almost $4 billion a year". so much for them being a drain on societies resources, huh?

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:23 pm

Explain how that is possible. How can you take 1 billion in handouts and yield a return spending level that chimes in to the tune of 5 billion? You can't make something out of nothing.
I realize that there are some folks that receive other income besides public assistance, but keep two things in mind.

1. I question if those numbers are accurate. If they are making 4 billion in 'working' money, then that has fraud written all over it.

2. Even if not a dime of public assistance was doled out, that money would be left in the taxpayers pockets to be spent. So you're not really creating new money per se. You are only moving it around.
Capish?

DG_pilot

RE: DG Pilot

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:35 pm

You throw around that racist term like a sandlot baseball. Don't say you don't.

If anyone ever says anything about some other race, you are one of the first to point out how racist you think the person is.

Maybe you need to climb out of your shell and realize the world isn't going to be handed to your on a platter and that people criticize other people. Its how the world works. I'm surprised you haven't figured that out by now.

As far as age is concerned, while you may be older, I really don't care because I see little reason to put any thought into your blind, senseless, self-centered, whimpy butt whines and complains about anyone critizing anyone. Go ahead and pull some "respect your elders" rhetoric. I happen to believe respect is earned, not given.

Dustin

frequence plus

Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:13 pm

What racist term did I use?
What planet are you on currently?

"Maybe you need to climb out of your shell and realize the world isn't going to be handed to your on a platter and that people criticize other people. Its how the world works"

Check this out, I am a self employed musician/DJ/producer with 12 productions and remixes under my belt. I make my own. I have travelled to Europe many, many times to play clubs and raves as well as Asia. My family has been in this country since 1921. My grandfather was a master carpenter from the Caribbean who signed on to help build the Panama Canal, and then decided to move here, where he met my great grandmother who was from the same island. My great grandmother went on to have 6 children (all of whom acheived college-level educations) and own 2 houses before setling into my grandmother's house before dying at the ripe old age of 92. I type this e-mail from the very same house, which is now in my name. Handed to me on a platter? Yes, but not from any public assistance or outside charity. Handed to me by my family who worked hard (extra hard) to attain some standing in this world.

I understand, recognize and welcome opinions and criticism, I do not subscribe to sweeping generalizations and non-constructive, close-minded, yahoo rhetoric. Actually, I have refrained from responding to a lot of the ignorant posts I have seen on this forum, but lately, I find I cannot ignore some of the dumb shit I have seen posted, especially since this non-election. It has brought out the worst in people and has highlighted the ugly divisions in this country. So you are wrong about me jumping on anything that I perceive as racist.
Though I totally disagree with your statements and opinions, at least you have an opinion and the ability to make it known, which is a lot more than can be said for most people. However, when your opinions are pointedly and blantantly aimed at a group of people, blaming them for the woes of this country, ya damn right I'm gonna be on your case. That's the way the world works right?

Sun Nov 19, 2000 5:08 pm

Again Matt,

You have suceeded again. lol.

May I add the following, if the "white rich society" only approach was to take place in the United States, what would you poor republicans do if you had to do the following:

Clean your own streets.

Wash your own cars.

Sweep your own pools.

Do your own gardening.

The list could go on and on and on....

Naaaah, you'd just knock down the middle class to be the "new" white trash.

L-188

Sun Nov 19, 2000 7:21 pm

MX5....I'm a eratz Republican (Alaska Independence Party actually but our platform is similar) Anyway.

I don't have a pool.
I wash my own car. (pressure hose, none of this waxing garbage unless there is a blizzard comming)
I am planning to put my own garden in eventually, other building projects are ahead of that.
And I have been known to kill my own dinner on occasion.

Seriously though....A lot of that platform stuff you hear is just plan bunk......On both sides.

Almbluzman.....Where did you get those numbers, can you quote a source?

The contribution number does seem a little high. Especially when you consider that illigal immigrants aren't supposed to be employable to begin with. Where did that four billion come from???

And for the record. I think there is no comparison between somebody who come into this country just to collect welfare and somebody who comes to this country and goes to work and does his or her best to get ahead and contribute.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

almbluzman

Mon Nov 20, 2000 12:50 am

i had a feeling that i would get questions over my numbers. like i said earlier - i was qouting an economics professor at the university of california at san diego. his qoute was used in an article that was published in fortune magazine in aug. of 1993 andwritten by ms. jaclyn fierman. where are your numbers? i haven't heard or seen any evidence coming from you guys. go ask pat buchanan or one of his other goofy guys for some numbers and then get back to me. you don't think that those numbers can add up? let me reiterate what was lost on you from the previous post: "but by working and spending on things like food, rent and clothing, they also contribute $5 billion annually to the economy." they work; they pay taxes - fica, social security, etc. they spend on food (and pay taxes their as well). they pay rent (and help their landlord pay his property taxes) and when they buy clothing, they pay sales taxes as well. now why is it so hard to believe that they actually contribute to the economy?

"growing up, i was always taught that we will be judged by how we treat others. if we are collectively judged by how we treat immigrants - those who would appear to be 'other' but will in a generation be 'us' - we are not in very good shape." mr. david cole, a professor at georgetown university, used this quote in an article that was published in "the nation" in october, 1994.

entiendes?

almbluzman

DG_pilot

Mon Nov 20, 2000 5:05 am

I wasn't specifically blaming problems on any group, but I said that criticism from other types of people is not always racist rhetoric, as many of the minorities say it is today. In fact, the people that are crying racist half the time are themselves further widening the dividing lines of this country, making it harder and harder to get anything done. Is it wrong to point out a clear problem with another group of people, such as the larger than average crime rate in some black communities (just for example!!)? Am I not suppose to work on the problem just because I am a different color then you are anyone else. Thats what I was saying. And I wasn't personally blaming you either, by the way. We all have problems, we all work on them together. The people that cry racist make that system dysfunctional. I cannot stand for that in any matter.

How about we agree to disagree? The fact that we are on here hashing this out is great, but I think we have said enough for the time being. I think we both understand what each other is saying.

Dustin

AerLingus

Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:09 am

Where would we be without our immigrant population?
We would be missing out on many hard working, decent people who developed this country into the powerhouse of economic and industrial vibrance it is today.
If my grandfather hadn't immigrated from Ireland, I wouldn't be here today, and if your ancestors hadn't immigrated, neither would you! Let's face it: This country was built upon foreign settlement and immigration. Even Matt D. wouldn't be here if it weren't for his foreign immigrant relatives.
For those who you 'Buchananites' who want to close our borders: Think before you speak, damnit!

avion

Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:23 am

Well said AerLingus.

Avion

Matt D
Topic Author

Aer Lingus

Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:27 am

You're absolutely, positively 150% right. This country was built on immigration. and I wouln't have been here either had my ancestors not come here.
But you see, I want you to focus on the word BUILT.
That is because this country is BUILT UP!
We don't have room for much more.
Please re-read my original post to see why you can't lump the immigrants of the 19th century to the ones of today. It's just not the same crop.

AerLingus

Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:33 am

So what do you suggest the INS do about it, Matt D?

Matt D
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:46 am

The solution does not lie with the INS, and I don't suggest they do anything about it.
The problem lies with our overly generous Social Services System that allows these free for all immigration bonanzas to occur in the first place.
Maybe if the freebies were to end, the impetuous for mass migration here will end.
then the INS can just serve as it does now.

AerLingus

Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:06 am

What are these freebies?

Matt D
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:09 am

Food stamps
Welfare cash payouts
Subsidized housing and health care

The list goes on, but those are the big 3

Those are what I would love to see abolished.

RealHigh

Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:11 am

RE: Matt D
America is changing just like the entire world!

Love it or leave it !

If you can't embrace the changes taking place here, then you leave!

Matt D
Topic Author

RealHigh

Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:19 am

Aint gonna happen cupcake.

Rolling with the changes is one thing. But when those changes involve dragging me down to their level instead of encouraging them to come UP to mine...
I have a problem with that. And as long as it's my money that's at stake, give me one reason why I shouldn't have a say in where it goes.

DG_pilot

RE: RealHigh

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:03 am

I support your statements Matt D. You are the one in control here, you have the opportunity to change things. People like RealHigh are simply people that give in. They are not in control of what happens.

Dustin

almbluzman

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:05 am

hey matt -
you still haven't refuted my evidence and you still haven't given me anything to argue against except for your - dare i use the word? - "racist" arguments? i don't give two motherfreakin' craps whether or not you actually respond to me or not; i will hound you every time you type something concerning immigration! come talk to me...

almbluzman

ctbarnes

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:09 am

All I have to say is I find the lack of compassion expressed by some here to be disturbing.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

almbluzman

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:14 am

hey charles -
i have long wanted to add you to my "respected users" list but have been waiting to see your outlook on "things". i am interested to see who you are speaking of?

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:15 am

explain to me what this 'evidence' is.
My argument is clear and unambiguous.
This country gives handouts ranging from food to housing to cold hard cash.

I don't want to see ANYONE getting these freebies.
Period.
whether it's citizens, or a boatload of Cubans.

I don't care. I don't want my hard earned tax dollars going to support the lazy, uneducated, and nonproductive.

If you are trying to get your hand in the Public "cookie jar", then that is exactly what you are.

Explain to me what is racist about that?

almbluzman

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:35 am

hey matt -
what is racist about it is that you have decided to single out the immigrants - you haven't made an argument against the "natives" or anyone else; you just feel that your dollar is more important than anyone else's. immigrant's aren't entitled to anything - legally or illegally! deal with it, peckerhead!!

almbluzman

Matt D
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:41 am

Evidently you seem to have selective reading (which is not an unusual trait for those arguing in favor of such issues).
I did not single out immigrants as being the only ones that should be denied public assistance. I said NOBODY should be entitled to them. That means immigrants and lazy US citizens alike. Frankly, these programs shouldn't even exist. And, yes, I care more about my dollar and how I will spend it than worrying about whether or not someone else gets it handed to them.