Your Thoughts On Toyota Solara

Tue Nov 28, 2000 6:39 am

Hi-

As you know I am writing an ongoing article for my high schools' newspaper and in the next issue I am writing about the Toyota Solara and would appreciate it if you guys would tell me what you think of the Toyota Solara and why.

Thanks So Much,
Jack

ATA757

RE: Your Thoughts On Toyota Solara

Tue Nov 28, 2000 6:59 am

I think that the Solara was the real turning point for Toyota!!! The Solara is one of the greatest looking vehicles Toyota has ever made!!! I had a chance to sit in one at the 2000 Indianapolis Auto Show, it was marvelous!!! I just realized they started making them with convertable tops, the first convertable Solara I ever saw was in Anchorage, Alaska, of all places!!!

Matt Asbury
Pendleton Heights High School
Pendleton, IN

CPDC10-30

Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:08 am

Can any of you tell me where the Solara is built? Hint: check my profile...its close to there.  

RealHigh

Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:32 am

I don't think much of the Solara at all. Its a rather boring looking car.
I usually see middle-age or old ladies driving those cars.
It's certainly not a guy car!

ATA757

Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:38 am

All I can say is I know the Toyota Tundra and Toyota Sequoia are built in my homestate of Indiana! (Princeton)

ATA757

fanoftristars

Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:39 pm

The Toyota Camry Solara is a very well built car as are all Toyotas; however, for the buck, I would pick the new 2001 chrysler sebring convertible-- You can now get a 200hp V6 now, and I think the styling is worth the trade off for Toyota's proven reliability.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:54 pm

Isn't there a Toyota factory somewhere in KY?

Engineering-wise, the Solara is nothing special. It is a spinoff of the current Camry, with interior and exterior tailored to the target customers.

The current Camry has spawned quite a few derivatives: the Sienna, the highlander, the Solara, the Avalon, the Lexus ES, and the Lexus RX. It is the centerpiece of Toyota's North American lineup.

Toyota is now about 2 years into initiating a large-scale engineering renewal throughout their product line. This leads to new, updated ideology in everything they make. New toyotas are mostly taller, for instance. A lot of cab-forward, a lot of trailing-arm suspension. The last update of such kind was around 1980, with the very first generation Camry. Yes, over the past 20 years, despite continuous inprovements, the basis of most toyotas laid in that Camry.

Current Toyota products that are of a "brand new" generation includes, but are not limited, to:
Lexus GS (1998~)
Prius
Echo
Celica (Corolla-based)
Lexus IS
Lexus LS430

The 2002 Corolla is already out in Japan. Its proportions will resemble that of the Prius. The new Camry is already under secret test in the US, it has been spotted here and there.

CPDC10-30

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:20 pm

All Solaras in North America are built in Cambridge, Ontario. The same factory also makes domestic Corollas. Can't wait to see a new Camry though, the current one screams Ford Tempo  

fanoftristars

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:28 pm

CPDC10-30: Have you driven a current Camry? Have you driven Tempo? I wager that you have not, with the comment you made. If you are talking strictly styling, I might be able to see where you are comming from, but the Camry doesn't have quarter inch gaps between body panels and the paint is a little longer lasting. 
"FLY DELTA JETS"

CPDC10-30

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:34 pm

Fanoftristars, our family car is a 1999 Toyota Camry LE. I was referring to the styling only