Your Thoughts On Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute

Tue Nov 28, 2000 6:44 am

Hi-

As you know I am writing an ongoing article for my high schools' newspaper and in the next issue I am writing about the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute (they are the same car with different badges) and would appreciate it if you guys would tell me what you think of those cars and why.

Thanks So Much,
Jack

PS
To see a picture of the Ford Escape:
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/ford01escape/index.html

fanoftristars

RE: Your Thoughts On Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:02 pm

Mazda introduced the Tribute to journalists at Sundance Mountain Resort where I work at the end of this past summer. I thought the vehicles were VERY nice and fun to drive. They both offer fords 3.0L 24 valve V-6 which is a screamer with 200hp. They set up a driving course for people to try them out. Overall very well done by Mazda and Ford. Much better than the Honda CRX or the Toyota RAV4.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:11 pm

I saw the Tribute in January, at the LA auto show. I wish the dashboard wouldn't be so truck-like, but otherwise I found it very likable.

Just in case you need some facts...
The Escape/Tribute is the very first collaboration between Mazda and Ford since Ford overtook Mazda in 1996. It is a highly publicized project, having appeared in media over the years.

The Escape/Tribute are meant to compete with the CR-V and the RAV4, but is wider than those two, and of course, with V6 engine available.

(as a side note, watch for all future Mazdas to be Ford-based, except the sports cars. Next is the new 626, due in 2002, which will share platform with the next Volvo S40 and the Europe-only Ford Mondeo)

747-451

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:08 pm

Just what we need, more SUVs....

Trvlr

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:26 pm

I thought the next-to-last generation european Ford Fiesta/Mazda 121 was a collaboration or did they just rebadge the Fiesta without any major input from Mazda?

Aaron G.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:33 pm

We were looking at the Ford Escape down at the Fallon Auto Mall (Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Toyota, pretty much everything). They are really impressive. Their gas milage is beyond any other SUV. 24 mpg on the highway, 18 mpg in the city. Seats 4 people with a fold down 4th seat. Then, they cost only $22,000, pretty good for an SUV. So its either the Escape or the Dodge Durango that we are getting, we have to decide because an Escape might be a tad too small.