classic707

Do You Work In A Famous Building?

Fri Dec 01, 2000 2:11 pm

...well do you? What building, what is it like to work in a landmark? I wish I worked Empire State Building or the Sears Tower.

CPDC10-30

RE: Do You Work In A Famous Building?

Fri Dec 01, 2000 2:17 pm

My father used to work on the top floor of the Toronto City Hall building. It was so fashionable in the late 60s that it was featured in a Star Trek episode.

mls515

Fri Dec 01, 2000 3:43 pm

My sister has law school friends that work in the Sears Tower. That's the closest I can claim to work in a famous building.

Although, I was a security guard assigned for a couple nights at the EMC Insurance building in Des Moines. That building got some notoriety becuase it has a vodka bottle shape in it. An "Absolut Coincidence". I'll see if I can dig up a picture and post it.

Fri Dec 01, 2000 4:00 pm

My dad used to work in the building next door to the Squib Building in Manhattan where Howard Stern broadcasts his show very morning. Whenever they have some dumb stripper go down to the street and do some self-important humiliating task, I always recognize the Hale & Hearty Soups, Benihana, and Harley Davidson Cafe (my dad's old building).

Now I "work" in Statler Hall at Cornell University, its somewhat famous for housing the country's most prestigious hospitality, travel, and tourism school.

BranVan3K

Fri Dec 01, 2000 9:30 pm

One of my old highschool buddies works in the Columbia tower in Seattle, thats sort of famous isn't it...? (Tallest tower in the Northwest?) It's really nice, i visit often :P

redraider

Fri Dec 01, 2000 11:29 pm

I work across the street from the Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station in NYC. That's about as close as I get.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 12:01 am

Yes I worked in Rockefeller Center.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:18 pm

A friend of mine took endless ribbing because he worked on the third floor of the Sears Tower. If you're gonna work in the World's Tallest Building (and yes I know about Petronas Towers in Kuala Lampur, and they don't count because the spires on that one are decorative and are there merely to top the ST, whereas the antennae atop the Sears Tower are functional) it's kind of funny to be lower than a lot of people's apartments.

N960AS

Sat Dec 02, 2000 4:31 pm

Well....both my parents work at Warner Bros. That isn't one famous building per say. They've also at different times worked at Paramount, Disney, CBS, Fox and others.

My cousin in New York works in the Linclon building. I hadn't heard of it but when I told the address to a cab driver taking me there he said "oh the Linclon Building." Also that is right across the street from Grand Central and right by Chrystler and NY Library. Another cousin of mine in NYC works at that building right on the East River on Wall, 120 I think it is, it is kind of pyramid like getting smaller as it goes up.

~N960AS

Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:28 am

I know the Lincoln Building, my best friend's dad's firm is up on the 38th floor. It's a huge building, very tall, but very old, probably built in the 1930s or 40s. It needs a refurbishment though, its getting old. Anyway, yes its right across the street from Grand Central Terminal, and down the street from the Grand Hyatt, which puts it at 60 E 42nd street between Madison and Park. Park Ave. is an overpass above 42nd street though. The building actually goes all the way to 41 street.

Regards,
Russell

classic707

Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:39 am

Sound cool!

Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:56 am

Yuck I hate the Lincoln Building, I worked in there a few days....

Okay well if the studio lots count, then I've worked on both the Disney and Fox lots. At Disney I specifically worked in the Feature Animation building. You may have seen pictures of it: it's the one with Mickey's "Sorcerer's Apprentice" hat on top of it.

aa737

Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:49 am

Back when we living in Chicago my dad worked in the sears tower. Now he works in some 2 floor place in Palo Alto, nothing special.

N960AS

Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:07 pm

Hey Surf,
Yeah I know the Animation Building. I have a friend who works there. It is pretty funky looking. You can see it from the 134 if you are say heading to Los Feliz or Glendale or something from that part of town (Burbank I guess). Now it is kind of blocked (from the freeway view) by CBS' new corporate headquarters...why what a shock it's on the Disney lot! I've neglected to mention my Dad has worked at Sony/Tristar as well, but I think less people have heard of that one. Yeah the Linclon Building could us some refurbishing, but it isn't bad, central location. Oh what do you do surf if you don't mind my asking?

Bye,
~N960As

Pacific

Mon Dec 04, 2000 4:00 pm

My mum works at the HK Intl Airport, the largest enclosed public space in the world!

Pacific

Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:44 pm

Ok,my mom works in Changi Airport.

Gundu

seven_fifty7

Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:29 pm

I used to work in the World Trade Center as an analyst for the Port Authority of NY & New Jersey.

My department was on the 63rd floor of ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER (the one with the antenna).

Louis

Tue Dec 05, 2000 1:16 am

Next month, I'll be working a couple of blocks away from the World Trade Center.

Lindy

Tue Dec 05, 2000 1:37 am

I'm working in Francies Perkins building on Constitution Avenue just beside US Capitol building. I think thats pretty famous building.
On my business trips I was working in the neighbourhood of famous buildings.
In NYC we have office beside Twin Towers. That office is pretty old and disguisting. My company has two floors there. 7th and 8th.
On the 6th floor there is a jail. Man, once I pressed wrong button on the elevator. When I got there I saw so many freaks. Never did that mistake again 

In Chicago we have office two streets from Sears Tower.

In Nashville we have office in some nice area far from downtown. Everywhere you look you see Record Studio.

In Cleveland our office is just beside Rock Hall of Fame (or something like that).

In Philadelphia our office is beside City Hall.

I worked in those places for a minimum a week 
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

airsicknessbag

Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:24 pm

I work in the Prince Elector´s castle in Mannheim, Germany (it´s a university nowadays).
Daniel 

redraider

Thu Dec 07, 2000 6:30 am

Louis, did you get the job with TTG?
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.