USAFHummer
Topic Author

For Aussies

Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:47 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you Aussies have heard of or been to the town of Mount Garnet, Australia, lately (not sure what state, sorry).

Thanks,
Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

zanadou

RE: For Aussies

Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:59 pm

No.

Why?

--->Zanadou!  

Aussiemite

Tue Dec 05, 2000 10:03 pm

nope

Wed Dec 06, 2000 1:09 am

There is no such town here in Australia. There is however a small hill in Queensland called Mount Garnet, not far from Cairns.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:46 am

I may have gotten the name wrong, I will check on it when I get home, but the NY Times magazine, there was a huge article about this town because this is where Survivor II is being made. I know the town was Mount _____, I am 95% sure that it was Mt. Garnet. I do remember that the population was given as 300.

Brissie-Do you live in Cairns, by any chance?

Greg

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:48 am

Brissie-I just checked online and there is indeed a town named that up in Cape York, near the Herbert River, which also sounds familiar from the article.

Greg

Aussiemite

Wed Dec 06, 2000 8:49 am

there is a suberb near my house called mt gravatt but for some reason i doubt they have anything to do with survivor II.. I thought that brissie lions bloke lived 8000 odd km away from cape york silly me I might jump in my pet kangaroos pouch and take a ride over to visit Brissie_Lions

Macair SAAB

Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:39 am

There is a small town called Mount Garnet located about 113 km (70 mi) south east of Cairns on the Herbert River. And yes, they are filming Survivor 2 on a property not far from there.

I remember on a (very) slow news day about a 6 weeks ago, one of the current affairs programs sent a reporter up there to see what he could uncover. What he did find out was there were some locals who would spill everything they had heard about it, from military vehicles to "funny talkin Americans", and some locals who "don't know what your talking about". He also found a makeshift airstrip long enough to accomodate a military aircraft such as a C-130 Hercules, and a very large pile of refuse, including packaging of brand-new tents.

Some mates of mine were going to take a camping trip up there to drink lots of beer at the pub and see what we could find, but because none of us could manage to get time off from work and study, we had to settle for a boat ride from Townsville to the Magnetic Island pub.

- Macair SAAB

PerthGloryFan

Wed Dec 06, 2000 2:52 pm

Macair SAAB,
Even if I could manage to get time off work or study I would opt for Magnetic Island over Mt Garnet any day!
Last time I was in NQ the road from Raveshoe to Mt G was a narrow single lane potholed boneshaker, and that was the sealed portions - not to mention the 40C heat, dust and flies!
As we were staying in the Atherton we went down to Cairns and across to Green Island instead - far more pleasant.
TGBOT - Mt Garnet sounds like the ideal location for the filming of any movie called Survivor.
PGF

Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:29 pm

I stand corrected. What I thought was Mt Garnet was in fact Mt Port Arthur.

But guys....if you are going to follow the directions of Macair SAAB in getting to Mt Garnet, you will end up the same way that the two Yank tourists ended up when their boat left them on the reef. 

But typical to shoot a series like this only a short drive from a major city. I would be more impressed if they were to base it in Carnegie in the Great Victoria Desert.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:04 pm

Did you Aussies ever see the first series of Survivor, which was filmed near Borneo?

Greg

Macair SAAB

RE: My Bad Sense Of Direction

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:57 pm

Yes, I said south east when I meant south west. Sorry, my bad!

But who knows, maybe we'll see the two yankee divers on Survivor 2. Considering some of the theories surrounding their disapearance, this one isn't as far-fetched as it seems (I mean, the Russians arn't going to send a submarine to pick up 2 Americans wanting to defect anymore!)

But as for Magnetic Island, it was better than walking through the bush looking for people with cameras. The only bad part was the boat ride back in not too nice conditions with a gutfull of beer  

- Macair SAAB

Thu Dec 07, 2000 3:00 pm

Aussiemite,I didn't know you had a pet kangaroo.Can you bring me for a ride in it anyday?Hehehehehe  

We're Nuts/GUNDU/Cba 2000

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:42 pm

I know MtGravatt! I grew up in Toowong. Whose got a pet kangaroo?!!? (I think someones telling fibbiewinkles.) Awwww they have a sweet face.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:44 pm

BTW do you know how many southerners can't say MtGravatt. It is pronounced Mt Gra vat not Mt Grav it.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:52 pm

Can you say Cas-sel-maine....not Castle-maine?!?!?

It isn't all unusual having a pet roo ya know. My old next door neighbours had a fully-grown male BIIIIIIG Red as a pet, which they had raised from a joey.

The closest I have come to having a native pet (apart from the Sulphur crested cockatoo and budgie), is the kookaburra which visits me every day for a feed of mealworms and mince.....has come every day for the last year, but only in the last 2 months has it let me anywhere near it, without shitting and flying off.

Aussiemite

Thu Dec 07, 2000 9:21 pm

When I was 7 we lived on a farm (except strangly enough my parents arnt farmers) anyways I was attakced my a kangaroo I have a cool ass mutha fucka scar on my face from it as well going along the cheek.. makes me look evil