USAFHummer
Topic Author

Teens Being Unfairly Persecuted On This Forum?

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:24 am

Speak your thoughts on this, please? This has been bothering me as a very frequent poster on this forum, and I would like to hear what everyone thinks, whether against someone specific or against teens in general.

Also if you like our posts, or wish to support us, please post.

Thanks,
Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

AerLingus

RE: Teens Being Unfairly Persecuted On This Forum?

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:40 am

Well, I just watch what I say and no one gives me any unnecessary trouble.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

iflycoach

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:47 am

Yes, we do get a bad wrap but if you look at the Civil Aviation forum check out another F***ing Airbus Vs Boeing post that was started by a 13-15 year old just to make a F***ing fight!

So I guess until we get rid of people like him most of us will not be looked down upon as good posters.

Although the words you write will prove where you shall go! (Korny, I know I just wrote it!)

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:59 am

I fly coach, with language like that I am not surprised. USAFHummer, I have been very impressed with the way you carry yourself in this forum. You and your parents should be very proud, as you act better then most of us!
Iain

Delta777-XXX

Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:01 pm

well said Iain!

Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:16 pm

Well, put it like this: some teens are immature, and do stupid things on the forum, and then they are rightfuly persecuted for what they do. But in the other sense, some adults do immature things, too, and get persecuted for that. So personaly, i dont think anyone is unfairly persecuted, we all get treated by the way we act on this forum. If you think us teens are being unfairly judged, then do somthing about it, quit making stupid A vs B posts, post only on the topics which you have knowledge, etc. So maybe act more responsible, and you'll be more respected and treated better on this forum by the other users. Because i dont belive anyone out there has the belief, "Teens are all bad, i dont even want to read what they write, they all just bad." no one thinks that. Teens who do get a bad wrap get it by dont stupid things. So please all just grow up, and there wont be posts like this one.

iflycoach

Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:23 pm

Well I was nice enough to bleep it out.
But I guess it does not bother you as it does me posts like A vs B!

iflycoach

Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:25 pm

Also if you do look a few posts down there is a post that does seem to have some um... rather harsh language so my post was "mild".

ILUV767

Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:25 pm

Its only a few of us that ruine(sp?) it for all of us.

Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:25 pm

Generalizations are easy to make... harder to prove.

cba

Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:28 pm

I tend to see teens taking a lot of attack in the political debates. It's mainly when they make immature remarks. I don't think I've ever been attacked before on the forum because of my age. But let me say one thing, an intelligent and mature post will give you an intelligent and mature response, and vice-versa. BTW, read over what you say before you post, I've posted a few things, looked at them 10 minutes later and thought, "Now why did I say that", so always proofread.

Aussiemite

I Dont Care

Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:48 pm

I DON'T CARE  

seven_fifty7

Thu Dec 21, 2000 2:06 pm

I for one don't automatically know who's a teenager and who's not. I only look at someone's profile if they say something incredibly STUPID, just to confirm my suspicion about their age. Hate to tell ya' but about 7 out of 10 times, they usually ARE teenagers.

So, to answer your question: NOPE. I think it's perfectly wonderful to persecute the teens in this forum.

It's kinda fun too. -Much like teasing my little brother or sister.

seven_fifty7

Thu Dec 21, 2000 2:12 pm

I do have my favorite teenage posters here who regularly post sharp, eloquent and mature thoughts.

(I won't disclose who they are though. -They might get big heads the size of Matt D's or somethin').

cfalk

Thu Dec 21, 2000 5:55 pm

I'd like to pass on something from Bill Gates, addressed to all teenagers and even some (supposed) grownups. I think it bears on this issue.

Here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out at a high school speech about 11 things they did not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teaching has created a full generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept sets them up for failure in the real world.

RULE 1
Life is not fair - get used to it.

RULE 2
The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

RULE 3
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone, until you earn both.

RULE 4
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

RULE 5
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity.

RULE 6
If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

RULE 8
Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

RULE 10
Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Thu Dec 21, 2000 7:12 pm

RE: Cfalk
Another excellent post!  

Many people hear need to hear these words of wisdom.

It's no wonder Bill Gates is as wealthy and powerful as he is.
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Thu Dec 21, 2000 7:21 pm

As a father of a teenager myself, I can tell you that most of it will fall on deaf ears. I tried explaining these points to my daughter recently and she just looked back at me like "Yeah, right!". Yes there are some pretty sharp and mature teens out there, but I'm afraid they are in the minority. To all the teens here, Prey that you have parents who taught you all this from the beginning, because bad habits are incredibly hard to kill.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Hole_Courtney

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:03 pm

The problem with teenagers today is that they complain and moan and blame everyone but themselves. i used to be that way until about 3 years ago when i woke up and realised that I am the master of my own destiny, and that absolutely no one else is controlling me but me. I make the decisions, not my parents. Screwing up feels good sometimes, because you know that you won't do it again.

another problem with teenagers (and adults in general) is thtat they complain about their situation in life, and don't do a damn thing to make it better. That's the worst part about teenagers.
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

N312RC

Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:31 pm

One bad apple can spoil the whole cart.
N/A

seven_fifty7

Fri Dec 22, 2000 1:00 am

CFALK:

Outstanding.

I wish someone woulda told me all of that when I was in high school.

Pacific

Fri Dec 22, 2000 1:32 am

I've got the right to get some persecution not because of my languege but some of my posts ended up factually incorrect.
I try to avoid arguments but have been in one when one 13 year old who is "respected" by many people made a huge fuss of a CX emergency landing and claimed without evidence that CX maintanance was SHODDY!

Pacific

Fri Dec 22, 2000 2:35 am

I agree --- and some of us have been here longer than those who are unfairly persecuting us!

Jack M, 14

D L X

Fri Dec 22, 2000 2:47 am

The problem is that (just like many situations in life) the biggest offenders are attached to the biggest mouths. Yes, there are some eloquent and mature teens on this forum, but the ones that spill the most drivel and venom on this forum will be the ones that get noticed. For instance, if you write something poignant, it is doubtful that a user will click on your profile and be surprised that you're a teen. However, if you write something based purely on emotion, lacking logic, with foul language, or simply stupid in nature, users will click your profile just to see if they can figure out why such a bad post would be submitted.

But as CFalk said, life ain't fair.

access-air

Fri Dec 22, 2000 3:09 am

Well,
as a Chat room operator for this website I can tell you that 90% of the teens that come to chat have fun and enjoy themselves and contribute greatly to the room. I have many chat buddies from this forum in the chat room that are teens.
However, I will add that we do have our share of teens as well as adults that come into our chat room and start A vs. B fights, and/or start spewing all kinds of stupid half baked wanna be wish list kinda things and then that sets the whole chat room on its ear. Usually they get a little irate when people pooh pooh what they say or they throw a temper tantrum...and thats when they earn a kick or worse a ban...However that occurance is very rare. Those that you may see here complaining about not being treated fairly,probably have earned an kick , ban or were causing trouble, but not all... I have a few suggestions for the forums and the chat room:
1. Act mature in your statements and dont be childish or bratty.
2. Absolutely NEVER state anything as a fact if its not verified or true, that will bite you in the arse everytime and it ruins any and all credibility you may have.
3. Most important, if you have question, ask it!! Don't assume that you will be laughed at, we all began somewhere and we all need to treat each other with respect. It shows that youre sincere and that you're here to have fun.....
So enjoy this wondrful site!!!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

Superfly

Fri Dec 22, 2000 3:53 am

I try not to let foolish statements by teenagers aggrivate me. Us older folks were once teenagers too. We've all made an ass out of ourselves or made foolish statements when we were younger. We just didn't have the internet to broadcast our ignorance to the entire world.

We all share an interest in aviation. I think it's great that http://www.airliners.net allows all of us, young and old to share and gain knowledge about aviation. I think or at least hope that the more the mis-informed or mis-guided teenagers read and listen to what more mature and older people have to say here, then they'll learn and grow up.
This will benefit them later on in every aspect of life.
Each post is a reflection on who that person is and what they are about. You can tell who the smart ones are, you tell whos the class-clown, the bully, the studious, the intellectuals. You also can tell who wants to learn more and is appreciative and you can also tell who just need a good spanking from there mom or dad!

I'll admit, there are some teenagers here who really impressed me with there knowledge of aviation and taught me a few things. There are also some adults who discust me with there larger then life egos! They know who they are!

Hey all, lets talk about airplanes!  
Bring back the Concorde

EIPremier

Fri Dec 22, 2000 4:52 am

Actually, I was unaware the airliners chat room was even functional. It always stalls during the loading process when I've tried to get through.

I don't think teens are being "persecuted" on this forum. I think that's an overreaction. I agree that there is a pre-existing prejudice that teens don't contribute to the forum. In reality, they contribute in a big way, and set the tone for many discussions. However, there are definitely a few who lack maturity, and those are the one's people notice. Basically, there are some people who lack maturity, but I think we do a pretty good job of ignoring them, and not letting it spoil the whole forum.

There are some posts on this forum that are written in a way that makes them almost unintelligible. There are too many "A vs B" posts. And, more often than not, somebody who identifies themselves as younger than fifteen is the author. But, I think that any reasonable, well-written argument is usually given a fair shot. With over 5,000 users, I suspect there are many teens who other users don't even realize are in this age range. I remember a recent thread regarding whether there are other "teens interested in aviation" on this forum. As a relatively new member, that person had not even noticed that teens probably make up a large minority, if not the majority of the posters on this forum.

blink182

Fri Dec 22, 2000 6:47 am

Being a teen is part of growing up which is "trial and error" I know some teens have started A vs. B wars in the forums and that does get annoying, but more than likely they are new to the forums and had no clue about them. Yes, there are some immature teens on this forum, but from what I see, the 13-19 age group is probably the most informative and prove their points and are very knowledgeable. But, there are also some immature adults on the forums too and some are very good users on the forums. As far as I know, teens are the majority of the users on the forums and I for one am one of the first "kids" to be a registered user over 500 days ago(my date on my profile is wrong). I think in some cases, teens are not unfairly being persecuted on the forums, but I have also seen teens get persecuted unfairly in the forums too, same story with adults.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Fri Dec 22, 2000 7:19 am

Teens have this annoying habit of not reading the rules and FAQs  

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2000 7:42 am

Thank you for your input and opinions.

Iain, I said it formally because I thought if if it wasnt like that, I would get hammered on this thread,

Thanks,
Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

classic707

Fri Dec 22, 2000 1:31 pm

I just try and treat others on this forum as I wish to be treated. I don’t judge an entire age group bases on a few bad examples. The best way to look at it is on an individual basis.

nwa man

Fri Dec 22, 2000 2:29 pm

"One bad apple can spoil the whole cart."

Great point N312RC!

I bet some of y'all didnt realize I'm only 16...

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

access-air

Sun Dec 24, 2000 8:01 am

I think it is terribly ironic that N312RC should make such a statement in this forum about "One Bad Apple", when he was that "Bad Apple" in the airliners chat room the other nite. He wasnt worthy of anyones respect. I guess some people have better manners when they dont have a live audience to perform for.........

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

Mon Dec 25, 2000 2:53 am

In some cases we are treated unfairly, but on the whole, if you behave yourself, you will be respected. Some are discriminated against because they do do inappropriate things, but on the whole we are fine.

AA737-800

QFTJT

Mon Dec 25, 2000 8:06 am

Mx5_boy,

I have seen this guy direct attacts on teens more than once, he thinks he knows everything. If he has nothing nice to post he should'nt post anything at all.

QFTJT

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 25, 2000 10:07 am

As an occasional critic of teens on this forum, I admit that some do know their aviation facts. What almost all are missing is perspective and the ability to see the big picture. This comes with age and real life experience. My only advice is to them is to be circumspect, try to understand all viewpoints, never assume, realize you'll never have all the answers and understand that there is a lot of gray area to aviation and life, not all is black and white. Also, the phrase, "I think..." will get you about 2 cents and a half a cup of coffee.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Dec 25, 2000 10:17 am

Welp with only two months left of being a "teen" (two months from today actually) and I must say it's been quite a ride. We all have our bad days and make stupid comments every once in a while (some more than others)...and everyone is pretty stuck in their ways on this board-every board for that matter. Some things dont change. I would have to say that if we took the age thing off of the profiles i would think more than a few of the adults on here are little kids. I've honestly never seen a board with this much bickering on it... I am a moderator at the Snapcase.com board and there are some pretty intense debates but none of the finger pointing crap and relating stuff to age. Something we all need to realize...and the adults on here need to the most...is that age is almost nothing on this thing...its the way we conduct ourselves. We all have different experiences and viewpoints...may as well make something civil out of it.
Chicks dig winglets.

ILUV767

Mon Dec 25, 2000 10:56 am

the teens are not the problem, its the adults who complain about the teens. Its like they want to pick a fight, just to see who is better. Saying things like "this is another stupid post"...well who says that is just fricking insecure. Its that whole thing, where people think that just because they are older, they are better.

I think that everyone should respect each other's opinion, and if you don't like it, you dont have to be here, and post your thoughts, as well as have discussions with other teenagers around the world.

Just a word to everyone on this board...remember to treat others how you want to be treated.

twa

Mon Dec 25, 2000 12:47 pm

I am a Teen, and here is my opinion. I dont think that its unfair due to the fact I've seen others get Persecuted and they have been like in their 20's, So age doesent matter. Its the personality, or depth of the post.

TWA

ILUV767

Mon Dec 25, 2000 6:46 pm

I agree with you 100% TWA, and I look foward to many interesting posts from you.

zanadou

Tue Dec 26, 2000 12:57 am

It happens everywhere my young friends.

http://www.webflyer.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003846.html

What makes here so special?

--->Zanadou!  

Tue Dec 26, 2000 1:59 pm

I am sick of these god-dang teen-agers talking smack!

Tue Dec 26, 2000 10:01 pm

What is the difference between a teen telling you your an idiot...

OR

A teen spouting religious &/or political drivel when they are not of voting age or even work for a living?

mb

Aussiemite

Mx5-boy

Tue Dec 26, 2000 10:07 pm

I concur, I cant belive some of the shit that comes out of the children from this forum.

twa

ILUV767

Tue Dec 26, 2000 11:25 pm

Heya, Thanks Man.

TWA

BTW I love your screenname  

747-451

RE: Mx5-boy

Wed Dec 27, 2000 2:04 am

I agree, usually being a @#%$~!$* transcends ages but you hit the nail on the head.

Actually, they should have a forum for adults and children so no one could be accused of bashing eachother

Wed Dec 27, 2000 8:31 am

May I add that when I was a teenager I thought I "knew" it all too.

No one is guilty, but perhaps a little respect for the users who have been around the block a few times...

(Now that makes me feel OLD...)

mb

ILUV767

Wed Dec 27, 2000 9:19 am

Hairyass...you should know...you joined this site 5 hours ago.

ILUV767

Wed Dec 27, 2000 9:20 am

TWA...thanks  

QFTJT

RE: Mx5_boy

Thu Dec 28, 2000 7:01 pm

Are you part of the Sydney Church of the Cosmos?

QF

LOT767-300ER

Sat Dec 30, 2000 4:26 am

I dont think so.