SQA340
Topic Author

Your Thoughts On The Ibook

Mon Jan 22, 2001 10:10 am

Hello All,

I was at SEARS today and was looking at the computer section of the store when I came across the Ibook. I thought it looked cool, and the screen had good display. $1599 was the price at SEARS but here is where it gets tricky, there was a Compaq laptop with Windows Me and Intel Celeron and was running at the same price so which laptop would be the best choice?

I might be lienent towards the Compaq because there are more games availible. But Mac Os 9 is Easy to use. IE seems to flaw on the Ibook. Which should I go for?

My Regards,

Mike

Trvlr

RE: Your Thoughts On The Ibook

Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:55 am

Go for the Compaq. There are more games, and all the Ibooks I have used suck. I can attest to the IE thing.

Aaron G.

hawaiian717

Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:58 am

If games are that important to you than get the PC. But oftentimes laptops are not the best setup for games, as they often use less-powerful components that also draw less power, extending battery life. Do you really want to run games on a Celeron, which is designed as a low-end, inexpensive processor?

Also factor in that Windows overall will be harder to work with than Mac OS, and that the overall quality of Compaq's products have declined in recent years.

If I were you I would get the iBook, especially if you already use a Macintosh.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when Apple products were first reintroduced into Sears, Sears charged more than everywhere else for them. Compare prices at places like CompUSA or http://store.apple.com.

hawaiian717

Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:59 am

PS - If all you're really interested in is portable games, forget laptop computers completely and get a PSone or GameBoy Advance.

Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:17 pm

Hmmm...for 1600, what would I get..
An easy to use iBook, whose G3 processor is the equivalent of a Pentium III?
Or a Compost, whose Intel Celery has the equivalent processing power of a vegetable?

I've had two Compaq's before. Don't get them. Period. They're simply awful.

And if you really want games, then what you need to do is go to your local computer store and throw together an Athlon-based system for less than $1k. Laptop's are simply not designed for gaming. Especially if you're going to play something as taxing as Diablo II, which in my experience requires at least 128mb of RAM and a 700mhz Athlon to run smoothly.

Get the iBook. The Compaq is simply an inferior machine.

fanoftristars

Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:22 pm

I've used the new ibook, and its combination of looks and performance are incredible. You get lots of stares with an ibook.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

ILUV767

Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:47 pm

Mike,

email me. I'm currently talking to you from my indigo iBook. I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.