AirNova
Topic Author

Stick Or Auto?

Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:38 pm

What do you guys prefer? Automatic or manual transmission? I prefer manual.

DeltaSFO

RE: Stick Or Auto?

Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:51 pm

Stick.

DeltaSFO
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

KROC

Sun Feb 04, 2001 2:45 pm

I am like the only one I know who prefers Automatic. I don't have the patience to deal with a stick, especially in traffic. When I press the gas, thats all I want to do. I'm usually to busy changing CD's to want to have to deal with shifting.

aa737

Sun Feb 04, 2001 4:09 pm

I have only ever driven auto, but I have also only been driving for 5 months. I know my parents want me to learn a stck at some point, but I just have no reason to get around to it. A few of my friends have a stick in their cars and they all seem to like it.

Trvlr

Sun Feb 04, 2001 4:16 pm

I haven't learned to drive yet but when I see people driving with a stick it just looks like a huge hassle.

Aaron G.

JETPILOT

Sun Feb 04, 2001 4:18 pm

I will never EVER buy a car with an Auto transmition.

An automatic is like sex with a condom.

Some cars are actually totally ruined with an Auto. A BMW with an auto is a total waste of a good car.

Nothing like rowing through the gears of a good shifting tranny.

JET

doomfox

Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:36 pm

A stick:
Its faster and more responsive. Better gas mileage.
You also have more control over the vehicle.
An automatic is fine for luxury cars, but when you want performance, you have to go with a manual transmission.

v jet

Sun Feb 04, 2001 11:44 pm

Have had manual far too long. Now only automatic will do especially in traffic. I'm too old to be bothered with "performance" I just want to get there the easiest way possible  Smile

AC_A340

Sun Feb 04, 2001 11:56 pm

Stick. Although shifting is harder when it is -20 celcius and it stalls a bit more, but it is so much more fun. I love it. I won't get a new car unless it has a stick.

KLM747

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:17 am

I prefer Auto, even though the stick has better mileage and other features. I just don't like to be shifting all the time  Big grin

KLM747 Big grin

Adam84

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:56 am

I drive a car with a stick and I like it but I would much rather have a automatic though.

Big777jet

Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:10 am

Mine car is Honda Civic EX 1997 has stick manual. I love to drive with stick all the time. It helps save brake pads wearing out last long time. Save mileage gas. Easy to drive snow through. I hate to have automatic when I hold brake and still running motor noisy!! Too much gas!!! I will never ever buy a car with automatic!

Big777jet

ake0404ar

Mon Feb 05, 2001 5:37 am

Stick all the way, automatic takes the whole fun away, same like the autopliot takes the whole fun away from manual flying.

Mon Feb 05, 2001 5:59 am

Auto all the way. I have only ever driven an automatic, and will only drive cars with an automatic. Like someone elce said, I am usually too buys changing CD's switching the radio station, talk on the phone (yeah, i konw i shouldn't!), or talk to people next to me, or bee boping to the music i coudln't deal with a manual.

Starship

Mon Feb 05, 2001 6:26 am

I have three autos, 2 stick shifts and one semi-automatic. I like the autos best, although the semi- automatic is great too giving you the ability to shift gears as you would normally, but taking the hassle of the clutch away. This is on a 1970 NSU Ro80 and is very different to the current tiptronic and selespeed arrangements on Audis and Alfas.

When you've had to commute in heavy city traffic for as long as I have, auto is the only way to go, believe me.

Behind every "no" is a "yes"

twa

Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:01 am

I prefer stick. I have a 6-Speed in my Camaro!!!!! I love it

TWA

Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:14 am

I will only drive an auto.

BranVan3K

Somesort Of Fantasy World?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:54 am

Derek H, you don't own an Audi TT, do you?

CPDC10-30

Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:23 am

I don't drive currently...but I would prefer to get used to a manual transmission. Everywhere else in the world except for N. America uses manual only.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:28 am

Auto all da way! Stick is just for race cars and for european cars that are smaller and cheaper thats why the got stick!!!

gocaps16

Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:19 am

My car, well actually my dad's car is a manual tranmission. So, that's also my car and I'll be driving a "stick shift." Saves me money not using my brakes, usually downshifting will stop the car.  Smile It's actually same as reverse thrusting on a plane and my car is really loud when I downshift....haha. Big grin

K.Cook/DCA

twa

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:20 am

My good buddy LOT767-300ER stated: <<>>

Hmmmm Interesting.....My 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 has a 6-Speed in it, and its not a smaller, and cheaper European car.

Smile

Cya Lata Man,
TWA

Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:24 am

Stick (manual) for me--Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and better gas mileage/performance...if used properly.

What's strange is: American-brand cars (Ford, Chevy, etc.) generally offer only automatics, but 'foreign' brands (Honda, Toyota, etc.) still offer manuals, even if the car itself is American-built! How does that work?

Corey777

flyf15

Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:56 am

Definately stick, it is not at all the hassel some would make it out to be, its so easy that I never even have to think about it. Yes, they are quite hard and frustrating to learn.

Every car I buy in the future will be stick, if at all possible... I second eveything JETPILOT said.

Ilyushin96M

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:02 pm

5- or 6-speed manual is the way to go. I love the hands-on feel of shifting, and acceleration is much better with a manual transmission.

I recently test-drove the 2001 model Honda Accord coupe, both the V6 (which unfortunately comes only with a four-speed automatic transmission) and the 4-cyl 5-speed. The latter drove much better, was quicker and more fun to drive, even though the V6 is more powerful. What a shame Honda doesn't see fit to offer a manual and an auto for the V6 - what a driver's car it could be!

I think everyone should know how to drive both, though, because you never know when you might need to. There have been situations in which friends of mine have gotten drunk, and their friends didn't know how to drive their manual-transmission cars. Glad I was there to help out!

Branvan3k

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:07 pm

Yes, I do....Is there something wrong?!?

BranVan3K

Pants On Fire.

Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:34 pm

Derek H,
What do you get out of lying to a BBS group about what automobile you drive? Were you trying to Impress us? Here are your statements to discredit yourself:

Lie #1
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/12393/
You stated that your parents had bought you a 2001 Amulett Red 225 TTRoadster with a TAN top and a TAN interior. Well if you knew anything about Audi TTs you know know that none has ever come with a Tan top or a Tan interior, your three choices are Black, Blue, or Gray. So how does your TTR have red/tan/tan? The simple answer is: IT DOESN'T. Getting the work done aftermarket is impossible because of the intricate workings of the roof. So Tan/Tan huh? Its news to Audi! You Might want to inform them of your miraculous find!

Lie#2
In this very thread you stated: Auto all the way. I have only ever driven an automatic, and will only drive cars with an automatic. Like someone elce said, I am usually too buys changing CD's switching the radio station, talk on the phone (yeah, i konw i shouldn't!), or talk to people next to me, or bee boping to the music i coudln't deal with a manual.

So you have never driven a Vehicle with a Manual transmission? That's funny, didn't you know that ALL Audi TTs came with a manual transmission?? There never has been a production (or prototype for that matter) TT with an Automatic transmission. I think you should call Audi AG immediately and tell them about this marvel you have on your hands, a Red TTR with a Tan top and a Tan interior that has an automatic transmission!

Lie#3
too buys changing CD's switching

Funny how you would be able to switch CDs since the CD changer is just above the rear left wheel well in the car? And this is why you didn't buy a manual in your TT ? Right.

All i have got to say is, you have done one fine job of impeaching yourself and diminishing your credibility.... Is there any particular reason you would say such things?
As Nicole Blackman of KMFDM once said:

"Someone's writing down your mistakes
Someone's documenting your downfall"

Branvan3000

Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:08 pm

Excuse me! But i DO have an audi TT, with a TAN top, and TAN leather! I kid you not! Why would I lie? Do i have a reason to lie? No, I dont have ANY reason to lie! If was making shit up, dont you think i would have chose a better car? Trust me, there are MANY other cars I would have picked if i was making this up, I AM NOT! I DO have an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! I have NO rason to lie! I'm just telling you what i have! AND THAT IS WHAT I HAVE!! I can't believe you are accusing me of lieing! I have NEVER lied before! And I never will lie. I have no reason to lie on these message boards, these are NOT my life. Why would I have a reason to lie?!? I find it very pathetic what your saying! I am telling you what I have! No lies.

Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:42 pm

I like both. The manual tranny on my MX5 is so light and precise... And so much fun!

HOWEVER:

Australians, like Americans love to go for the auto / air option when buying cars. Driving any big powerful car is a lot easier in traffic when you've got a box doing the shifting for you.

If we get our Grand Cherokee Limited (3rd car) we will definitely be taking the V8 and auto option (and as far as I am aware no Grands are sold in oz with manual.)

Unless you drive a sports car, I think auto's are best for everyone. Although, a police friend of mine claims that people who drive manual cars have far less accidents, the reason? Because they are "actively" driving the car and are more aware of their surroundings.

Is there any truth in that statement?

Cheers,

mb

Aussiemite

Manual + Branvan3k +Derick

Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:49 pm

My Commodore has manual trany, 4 on the floor hehe, mum has an auto now its nice sometimes I have some problems with my knees I broke them a few years ago and sometimes when theyre painful we swap cars (ma mum dosnt like my car though she whinges about the steering/pedles/windows being heavy) personally I prefer sports orientated driving so ill opt for a manual but in a family car auto is good.

more so do you prefer Rear Wheel Drive, Front Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive? I prefer RWD but Saab have nice FWD cars.. RWD is more performance realted though it takes a while to get good with FWD

I always thought Dereck H was full of shit but I didnt wanna come straight out and say Dereck your full of shit without substantial proof

So Dereck I guess mommy and daddy just asked for custom interiour and auto transmission for there number 1 son hey.. and they took this out on their credit card with $US100 000 limit??????

AC_A340

Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:46 pm

I like the shift on-the-fly four wheel drive in my dad's truck. Comes in handy when the roads are covered with ice and snow. Very few vehicles out here are rear wheel drive since they perform poorly in the winter. Or at least from my experience they do.

BranVan3K

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:33 am

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Colors/Audi/TT/Roadster.asp

http://www.audiusa.com/cars/ttr/build_ttr225.htm

http://www.auditt.org/faq/960372450

The preceeding links were about the color combinations, THREE different sources say that there is no Tan top or Tan interior available for the 225TTR. Audiworld.com states that aftermarket Tan Roof is 110% IMPOSSIBLE because of the roof's workings. You really should have picked a different color combination to spread fables about.

As for your automatic transmission.... AudiUSA says its not available - they manufacture the car. So some puny kid with big aspirations in South Dakota knows a companies product better than the top brass in Ingolstadt? Riiight. Motor Trend Trend will back me up on that one (http://www.audiusa.com/cars/ttr/specs.htm)
(http://www.motortrend.com/feb00/auditt/specs.html)

" The well-chosen gear ratios ensure supreme progress, with a 5-speed manual gearbox for the 180-hp front-wheel-drive Roadster and a 6-speed manual gearbox for the 225-hp quattro. " taken from http://www.audiworld.com/news/00/la/pressrelease.shtml

So Derek H, ive provided more than enough links to discredit your statement(s).... Will you provide proof this obviously fictitious automobile exists? You can usually tell when people lie about things, many of your statements have "falsehood" written allll over them -- It is about time somebody brought this to attention.

Branvan3000

gocaps16

RE: Manual + Branvan3k +Derick

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:45 am

Derek,

You're 15 right? Isn't the United States requires that all teenagers to be at least 16 to get a driver's license? So, for you're 15th birthday, YOUR parents actually bought you an Audi? Why couldn't they buy you the car when you're 16 not 15? I dont understand why parents buying underage kids a car unless your parents bought themsleve a new car and giving you their old car. That's what my dad did to me. Anyways, good luck in this thread, we're interested on your next reply.

K. Cook/DCA

flyf15

Bravan/Derek

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:45 am

I wouldn't go around telling people if I had a TT anyways...not something to be proud of as far as most of the people I know and I think, its a "Look at me!" car.

Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:34 am

Gocaps16: Im sorry, but your wrong. Not every state in the US, is the same. In South Dakota, you can drive by yourself when you are 14, but I didn't I waited till I was 15. Here is how the law works in SD. You can get your learners permit on your 14th birhtday, if you wish. With a learners permit, you HAVE to drive with a parent for a minimum of 6 months, if you did not take drivers ed. If you did take drivers ed, you only have to drive whith your parent for 3 months. After that time is up, you can drive by yourself, with a restricted license. In which you can drive from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. by yourself. You must have your restricted license till your 16, once you turn 16, you can drive when ever you please. I took drivers ed the fall before i turned 15. Therefor, i only had to drive with the folks for 3 months. By the time my birthday came, i was able to drive by myself. So, no, not every state requires you to be 16 to drive, SD is different than most other states.

These are from the states DMV page. I have highlighted a few areas. Here is the link if you wish to visit it yourself: http://usedcar.com/net/dmv.html

Instruction Permit — To obtain an Instruction Permit you must be at least 14 years of age and pass the vision and knowledge test. The permit is valid for one year, for a cost of $8.00. Minors at least 14 years of age, but less than 18 years of age, must hold the valid permit continuously for 180 days (90 days if successful completion of an approved Division of Education Services & Resources driver education course) prior to upgrade of permit to a Restricted Minor’s permit or Operator’s License.

Restricted Minor’s Permit — To obtain a Restricted Minor’s Permit you must be at least 14 years of age and pass the vision, knowledge, and driving test, complete the requirements of the Instruction Permit, and have not been convicted of a traffic violation during the past six months prior to obtaining the Restricted Minor’s Permit. An individual up to age 18 years of age may hold a Restricted Minor’s Permit. The permit is valid for 5 years, for a cost of $8.00.

Restrictions: Entitles the holder, while having the permit in his immediate physical possession, to operate a motor vehicle during the hours of 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. if the motor vehicle is being operated with the permission of the minor’s parent or legal guardian; and during the hours of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. if the minor’s parent or legal guardian is occupying a seat beside the driver. Upon attaining age 18, permit converts to Operator’s License.

Also, if you dont believe me, e-mail me, and I can send you a scanned copy of my drivers lincense.

Branvan3k

Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:54 am

Branvan3k:

Yep, you are right. I did lie about what I drive. I liked the Audi TT alot better than what I am driving now. So I did think, hey, what are they going to care? Yes, I know my credibility has just went though the floor, but I am going to have to deal with that. Thanks for going into that so indepth and looking at probably every Audi page out there. Good investigation work. Im not mad or angry at you or anything for doing that, because I am the one that lied. I had no idea the TT didn't come with a tan top, nor an automatic transmission. I have an audi now, and thought, hey, why not make it even better?!
I do drive a 1996 Audi Cabriolet, though. And its ok if you dont believe me, I dont expect you to. And yes, It was my moms car when she got a new one. And it IS an automatic.

Oh well, I lied, now I'll live with it.

Aussiemite

Tue Feb 06, 2001 10:05 am

Aussiemite:
And for your information, my mom DOES have a credit card with a high limit, I am not sure if it as high as 100k, but it has an exstremely high limit. Its atleast near it.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:17 am

Thank you TWA!!! We all have our diffrences (xcept some r just better than others!)j/k!!!!!!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up TWA!

gocaps16

Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:25 am

In South Dakota, you can drive by yourself when you are 14, but I didn't I waited till I was 15.
------------------------------------------------------
What the? You can get your learners permit at age 14 and can drive by yourself? Can you get a minor's Restricted at age 14 and still be able to drive by yourself , I didn't get that, Can you clarify on that a bit?

Well, South Dakota is a big state but unpopulated with very small towns and 1 or 2 medium size cities. No need for a car there if you live there. But since you live in Souix Falls, you're also closer to Iowa. I bet gas is expensive there....gas is still pretty expensive here in VA. I still think 14-15 years old is still a very young age to drive. I don't think I want to be driving in South Dakota's roads cause you'll never know what brainless 15 year old kids be driving on the roads.

K.Cook/DCA

DeltaRNOmd-80

Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:36 am

whoah, I got a surprise when I came to this thread. you are right Derek H, your credibility on this entire forum (for those of us that have read the goings on here) just went right through the floor. Anyway, I will be driving an '86 Dodge pickup when I am able to drive full time, and it is automatic. I prefer Automatic, my mom now owns a 99 Nissan Maxima and my dad owns a 99 Ford Expedition that are both automatic. But I will probably be able to learn both as my mom owns a 98 VW New Beetle that is stick shift and she said I could learn on it. They both have their perks, when you are going on a Sunday drive on a country road, you would probably want a stick, but if you were in a hurry and to get someplace, I would want an automatic.

Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:29 pm

Yes, once you get your learners permit, you MUST have that for either 6 or 3 months depending on if you took drivers ed or not. You can get your learners right when you turn 14, therefor, you could be driving by yourself at age 14. 14 is the youngest age you can get your learners permit. Once you have driven with a parent or anyone over 18 for the 6/3 months, you can drive by yourself, in the desegnated hours. Any clearer?

Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:31 pm

Gas on average her is about 1.50$ per gallon. Not too bad considering what other states are.

Aussiemite

Tue Feb 06, 2001 3:43 pm

Derick thanks for making this as painless as possible. Big grin

ok next things next,

in the past week I have replaced:

Starter Motor
Engine > Exhaust pipe
Right hand ball joint

ahh the joys of motoring, cars cost alot to run i saved alot by doing the work myself I hope to only have my commodore for another 6 months and by which stage I should be able to afford a 2-3 year old turbo Saab mmm saaaab /me orgams

Superfly

Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:06 am

Not to sound too perverted, I like an automatic with shifter on the steering column. This is so a girl can play around if you know what I mean while I'am driving.
I like cars with split bench seats that have arm rest in the middle that can be moved up for the center occupant.

Theres too much traffic here in San Francisco to enjoy a stick anyway.
Bring back the Concorde

Wed Feb 07, 2001 7:22 am

Derek is merely the typical SD bullshitter...only one of many I've met in my two years living in the great Mount Rushmore State  Yeah sure. Yes, you can drive at 14 here *alone*, and yes there are many accidents due to young inexperienced drivers being idiots.

Flame me if you wish Derek.

Corey777

twa

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:15 am

Heya, Nice Response  Smile Your one of my favorite members on the Forum.

TWA

twa

Stick Or Auto+The Derek H Situation+LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:25 am

I love my 6-Speed in my Camaro. I wouldnt have anything but a stick in a sportscar.

The Derek H situation: Okay, We know he lied but we dont need to have a War over it. Yes it was wrong that he lied, But I am confident he wont do it again

LOT767-300ER: Your Kewl!!!

TWA

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:35 am

LOL!!! TWA, who lied TWA????? (derek!!!???) I must also add that i love the Camaro, its an american classic man. One of the few good sports cars ive ever encountered two thumbs  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up TWA!!

Wed Feb 07, 2001 11:10 am

Corey777--- Why would I flame you? Yes, I know alot of teens who have gotten in accidents b/c they just plain didn't know how to drive. I think the law should be 16 to drive, but since we are a 'farm' state, they wont change it. 4 of my friends have totaled their parents cars so far. But I dont drive when the conditions aren't favorable (when its icy, alot of snow etc.)