nurminen

What Do You Think About Finnish People?

Sun Feb 18, 2001 4:25 pm

Hi everybody!

I am from Finland, and I want to know what do you know about finnish people?Nokia mobilephones are from Finland and Finnair is one of the best airline in the world and Helsinki Airport was the best airport in 1998 and it's still amazing.
Finland is very beautiful too and things are allright!

So,what du u think about us?Tell everything you think?

This is also some kind of investigation to my school!

Thanks!

PS.Have you seen Finnair's new livery?It's nice.

RE: What Do You Think About Finnish People?

Sun Feb 18, 2001 5:06 pm

I was in Helsinki for a day about 5 years ago. I guess I liked it. Clean city, I think the women were allright, modern, etc...

What does Finland have? Nokia, thats right. Marimeko, the women's clothing. Finnair, never flown them.

New livery is very European though.

gkirk

Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:08 pm

Never been there but I would like to visit Helsinki. If all the Finnish people are like the Finns on this forum, then Finland is full of great, easy going people. I hear the scenery in Finland is spectacular also. The only thing bad about Finland is that they dont have any decent football teams. Otherwise I guess its a great country.
GKirk
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:09 pm

Paavo Nurmi
Hannes Kolehmainen
Lasse Viren

Great distance runners...  Big thumbs up

Must be the reindeer milk...or blood doping--only joking! Big grin

nurminen

Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:59 pm

Thanx for replies!I need more, but TWAneedsNOhelp and GKirk were cool.Helsi9nki is clean .......THANX FOR REPLIES!

OO-VEG

Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:38 pm

Isn't Santa Clauss from Finland??? Well if so that should say enough about the Finnish people.

Ok now serious: I never met Finnish people but I think they are OK, they have such a nive scandinavian language just like the Swedish, Danish and people from Norway.

airmale

Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:43 pm

Theyre the most friendly people in Europe Smile
.....up there with the best!

Sun Feb 18, 2001 8:36 pm

My link to Finland is through my Girlfriend Big grin

Yes, been to HEL many times, it IS very clean and pleasant, as are the people. It can get a little nippy though!

Have taken the ferry over to Tallinn which I also enjoyed thoroughly.

One of my favourite things about Helsinki are the Cafes. Finnish people love coffee, as I found out. I felt at home right away!! They're also into TANGO, which I was very surprised to find out-as I am half-argentine myself, I was pretty amazed at some of their dancing skills!!

And now aviation;
Every time I visit HEL it seems to be so empty (nothing against that), but I find trouble trying to find any a/c as we taxi in to the gate. I've flown AY once from MAN via ARN. Service was excellent, for an airline I'd never flown before.

I usually fly with BA though, as I'm in the Executive Club, and they fly in at OK times.

Nice place.

KLM747

Sun Feb 18, 2001 9:29 pm

Finnish people are really nice! I have been there a long time ago, and they are great.

KLM747 Big grin

us330

Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:47 am

All I know is that they produce great hockey players, and hot babes Big grin

rojo

Mon Feb 19, 2001 2:01 am

I went to Finland in 1998. I flew from JFK to HEL on a AY MD11. I had a good flight with AY, service was good and arrived on time (full flight). I have to say that HEL Vantaa is a very beautiful airport. Being from Mexico, we have very ugly airports, but HEL really amazed me. Helsinki, the city, is a little bit small (remember I live in one of the biggest cities in the world) but efficient and clean. I remember shopping in a mall called Itakescus (correct my spelling) and visiting downtown. I also liked the Radisson SAS hotel I stay in.
My cousin has a Finnish friend and many estonian friends, so we also went to Tallinn. About Finnish people, I think they are very frindly and you can get along with them quite well.

Hope this helps.

Rojo

Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:37 am

Ok, memories are coming back...

Of Helsinki, I remember the train station, with the two giant statues on either side holding the lights at the entrance, I thought enough of it to take a picture.

I also remember Senate Square which was pretty. And some church, very modern with like a round dome over the top, Church of the Rock or something it was called.

Yes, we also went to Tallinn, which was very cool, because this was 4 or 5 years after their independence from USSR, so the city and country were gradually developing themselves into a capitalistic society. Remember visiting the US Embassy (a floor in an office building), remember the city's finnest hotel, and some other random stuff.

All in all, a fabulous trip.

russ

blink182

Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:27 am

Good hockey players, hot babes... I love finnish people Big grin Big grin Big grin
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

SophieMaltese

Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:51 am

I'm sorry to say I know nothing about Finland or the Finnish. I do have a Nokia phone though.

christianbothe

Mon Feb 19, 2001 5:18 pm

Is it really like shown in the Aki Kaurismäki movies? If it is, I think I like it.
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy christian

OH-LGA

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:30 am

Rojo: Yes... the Itäkeskus, the largest mall in the Scandinavian countries, I've been there several times when I've been to Finland.

Christianbothe: I wouldn't know about the Aki Kaurismäki movies, but without seeing any of them I'll say sure, Finland's a great country!

Although I'm half Finnish I do have a certain impartiality to Finland Big grin I think it's a really nice place. I'm looking forward to the rye bread with Oltermanni cheese, Aurinko Jaffa (orange soft drink), and Tupla candy bars... ohhh they're all soo good!

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

TWFirst

Tue Feb 20, 2001 3:30 am

I've been to Helsinki (Helsingfors in Swedish). The Finns are very nice and hard-working. Helsinki struck me as very modern, much like Stockholm. I know the Finnish language is not of the Indo-European family of languages and as such is not related to English, the Germanic languages (including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, etc.) and the Romance languages (French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.). It is of the Finno-Ugric family of languages, which includes Estonian and Hungarian. The name of Finland in Finnish is "Suomi."

All of the 5 Nordic countries' flags are horizontal crosses. Finland's is a light blue cross on white field. Finland is a part of the Nordic Council. The 5 Nordic countries are Iceland (Island), Norway (Norge), Denmark (Danmark), Sweden (Sverige), and Finland (Suomi). I don't know if Estonia has joined the Nordic council, but its culture is very similar to Finland's.

Much of Finland's territory was taken by the Soviet Union during the early 1900's. Northern Finland is called Lappland.

Well, that's about all I know of Finland.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 5:56 am

Dear Nurminen,
We know so little about the Finnish people. Tell the world more about yourselves.
We know that you stood up to the Russian army in World War 2.
We regard you as being as brave as the Poles, but we know very little else about you.
Shout, Nurminen!

nurminen

Wed Feb 21, 2001 6:16 pm

Thanx so much for replies!
That's nice how you know about Finland and Finnish people!Thanx!!!!!

For Christianbothe:

Life we have here in Finland is not so fun all the time.
I have not seen much Aki Kaurismäki's movies, but I know something about them.Some of us have good humor (I have) and we all have good life here.....
Yes and we have many good hockey players in NHL, Teemu Selänne, Saku Koivu, Jyrki Lumme, Antti Laaksonen, Kai Nurminen......and goalkeeper Jani Hurme too.Helsinki Airport was the best airport in the world in 1998 and Finnair is also one of the best airlines in the world.I can write more info soon,maybe here.......Just check this forum out soon!Bye!

PS:Sash! is very good!

For Rtuvey:

So, we make mobilephones called Nokia, which are maybe the most famous mobilephones in the world!
Do you use Nokia?I have to say same thing as to Christianbothe !!!!!!

Well THANX FOR REPLIES!

You know a lot of about Finland,that's cool!

steman

Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:12 pm

Hey Nurminen,
I've never been in Finland and never met someone from there.
I live in Rome-Italy and what I know of Finland is that is home of two of my worst enemy: Nokia (I work for Ericsson) and Mika Hakkinen ( I am a Ferrari fan).

Hehe, just kidding.
I'd love to visit Finland and I think Finnish are kind, nice and cute too (both male and female).
I would enjoy so much you climate! Yes, I am Italian but I like the Nordic climate.

Ciao

Stefano

Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:38 am

Well, while we're on the subject, I'd like to know what Finnish people think about people of color? I'd love to visit Finland, Iceland, Norway, ect.. one day, however, being a black female, I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Well, does any one know? Any blacks traveled to any of the Nordic countries lately? What will I be up against? Please share your stories.

Climbout

Joona

Thu Feb 22, 2001 2:01 pm

Hi Climbout

Personally, I have nothing against black or any other colored people. In fact, I have a black friend  Smile But....there are lots (and I really mean lots) of racist people in Finland.

Z
1740 days idle. Beat that.

Joona

RE:Nurminen

Thu Feb 22, 2001 2:01 pm

I don't find it very nice to get your country being praised by praising it yourself. The feeling I get from your messages is "The Finland is great! It's the best country in the world etc..." Sure, you could ask others to tell what they know about Finland / Finnish people, but, do not start telling how great your country is.

Btw, personally, I don't find Finland a very nice country. Lived here my whole life, but still......I do have been thinking of moving to some other country. Personally, I'd like to move to Canada...well, this is only my opinion, but I do know people who agree about my opinion of your messages...

PS. Aika törkeätä yrittää hankkia omalle maalle kehuja kehumalla sitä itse.

Z

nurminen

Thu Feb 22, 2001 3:24 pm

CLIMBOUT:

Hi!I live in Salo (it's quite a big city) and here is a lot of somali people.One is called Abdiqani and it's my good friend.Of course we have racism, but if you go to Helsinki, you see black people walking on the streets.
If you want see clean Helsinki, just fly here!

Matti Nurminen

Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:33 am

Thank you Nurminen and Joona!

Well, I guess there's racism every where you go. Since my goal is to travel to off beat areas, I find myself very concerned about how I will be treated. It's too bad I have to ask this type of question, but it is a real concerned. There are even places in the United States where I am not welcome. Sad, but reality. I wanted to go to Iceland one year, but the trip involved staying in local guest houses/farms. And the odds of the locals ever having a black in their home are probably slim to none! Didn't want to risk not being allowed to stay. But you know what, one day I'm just gonna do it anyway. Heck, you only live once, and plan on seeing the Lord's glory before I leave this earth. So, I look foward to boarding a Finnair MD11 in the not so distant future.

cheers...

nurminen

Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:40 pm

Welcome to Finland!

heh heh.....

Guess what,yesterday I saw black man working in Hesburger!Yeah....

(Hesburger is a hamburger restaurant)

TM

Sat Feb 24, 2001 2:33 am

My last vacation to Europe included Helsinki. We took the Viking Line from Stockholm (aka Baltic Booze Cruise) which was a blast. I found the Finns to be very warm and kind people. They were always helpful and didn't mind speaking English. I do speak other languages, but Finnish isn't one of them. I'm not making fun here, but I thought Finnish was one of the most delightfully strange languages I've ever heard. I met an American in an Irish Pub (Molly Malone's) who told me that they use Finnish as the Klingon language in the Star Trek series. I don't know if that's true, but I was amused.

I thought Helsinki was beautiful, if a bit small. I wasn't there long enough to figure out the night life or anything, but it seemed active enough.

We then took a Finnair MD83 from HEL to LED. Nice airline with great service. Vantaa is a great looking airport. Efficient too!

Now to the only thing I didn't like. The food! I'm sure it's because I wasn't raised there and I'm not used to it, but I thought the food was really strange. Finnair served this purple potato salad looking thing that was purple because it had beets. YUK! And I got a cheeseburger in Helsinki thinking it would be safe, but it was slathered with this cheese flavored mayonaise sort of a thing. Not very good at all. I'm not trying to start a war here, but you asked. I realize I didn't spend very long there, and with proper research, etc. I could have found some amazingly delicious food. That's just one thing that sticks out for me.

Bottom line: Loved Finland. Loved the Finns. Bring a lunch!

TM

OH-LGA

Sat Feb 24, 2001 4:32 am

Hesburger!!!!

I haven't actually purchased anything from there but a 2nd cousin of mine used to work at the one in Kotka I think... and when I was there they opened one in Savonlinna where I spent most of my time...

TM you honestly should have gotten a lörtsy (but those are usually only available in the Savo region of Finland? anybody know?) It's this deep fried pastry that has almost anything you want in it, strawberries, apples, meat, etc. Oh they are to die for! And they only cost about 5-6FIM I believe... I reccomend it highly to anyone... also piirakkas are very good too..

Moi,
Kai

xtristarx

Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:48 am

THEY ROCK...i mean they have bands like the LENINGRAD COWBOYS or ELEKÄLEISET, than they have damn good movie makers like the fantastic Kaurismäkki brothers ("Ariel-Loosers" is one of the best movies i know!)...and it is a damn nice country!

Ilyushin96M

Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:01 am

I was in Savonlinna, Helsinki and Turku quite awhile back, in 1992, when I was still living in St. Petersburg, Russia. My parents and I took the Sibelius train out of Finland Station at St. Petersburg. I stayed two days at a hotel in Savonlinna, which is a small town on a lake, then three days with a friend, Virpi, in Helsinki, and two days with another friend, Lena, in Turku.

My impressions: Helsinki and Turku were very clean, and Finns overall very polite. I loved the city public transport system, especially the small above-ground trains in Helsinki. It was really easy to get around. One thing that struck me in particular - from what I saw, Finnish cities are like big shopping malls, with stores EVERYWHERE. Banks as well, which is a good thing, because in Finland, everything seems VERY expensive. Savonlinna is located on a lake, and is more of a resort town - very laid back, with nice scenery, and also very well-kept.

Finnish food seems a bit bland; Finland is well-known for milk products, if nothing else. I had an interesting meal for breakfast while staying in Helsinki - I don't remember the name of it, but it was a big, round cheese-like pattie which my friend Virpi cut into pieces and we ate with cloudberry jam. Really no flavour, but an interesting consistency.

I've flown Finnair on four separate flights, in 1995 - the service was excellent, the food very good, and all flights were on time, with clean planes. Each seat had a fold-down footrest, which I thought was especially nice.

I also spent a good deal of time traveling and studying with a group of Finnish students at the university in St. Petersburg. They were a very polite group, and they tended to drink alot! Almost as much as Russians. I understand there is a big monopoly on alcohol in Finland; big tour buses come over the border each weekend, bringing Finnish tourists so that they can consume large amounts of Russian alcohol, because it is so cheap.

Overall, great airline, great country, and great people!

TM

Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:26 am

OH_LGA - I'm sure I just had bad food luck. Or I was having a huge cultural misunderstanding. Every culture has nasty food, not just us Americans!

Did I mention that I really liked Finland?

TM

Sat Feb 24, 2001 3:42 pm

Theres a Finnish girl in one my clases at school. I can;t remember her name, (I know her though), but no offense she is really unattractive.

Climbout, Finland like many of its geographic neighbors is a fairly homogenous country. All people are really from the same ethnicity, Finnish.

Any blacks there are most probably immigrants from Africa, and Finland like Ireland, Switzerland, UK, and others has been taking in large numbers.

rgds
russ

nurminen

Sat Feb 24, 2001 4:12 pm

So, thanx for the replies again!

I think Finnish food is really good,of course, because I am finn. There are a lot of African people came as exile to Finland.NOw they have good life here....

If you want learn some finnish, it could be quite difficult.But here is some clauses for you:

IN FINNISH:
Minä olen läski poika!

AND IN ENGLISH:
I am a fat boy!

IN FINNISH:
Puhutko sinä englantia?

AND IN ENGLISH:
Do you speak english?

IN FINNISH:
Jotkut suomen sanat ovat hyvin vaikeita ja pitkiä!

AGAIN IN ENGLISH:
Some of finnish words are very difficult and long!

huh huh....If you want me to translate something, just write it to the forum and I will translate it!

Now I can tell to my mates about how foreign people knows Finns!!!!!!

Thank you very much, and Nokia is the best mobilephone and Detroit Red Wings is the best team in the NHL!!!

Matti Nurminen

neder99

Sat Feb 24, 2001 8:51 pm

Climbout:
Travelling in the Nordic countries as a person of colour is really no problem. Yes, there is racism in places, but only with a few narrow-minded idiots that haven't been out of their farm for the last 50 years.
I know that travelling in Iceland as a coloured person is absolutely no problem at all, in fact, the Icelanders just voted for a song, with an overwhelming majority, to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest in May, and one of the performers is black! And it's highly unlikely that a farmer in Iceland won't let you stay in his house just because you're black. It would be a bit different for him/her, but there aren't any prejudices against skin colour in the travel industry over there. (I got all this info from my b/f, since he's Icelandic, I'm not, unfortunately!)

Anyway, I've been to Finland a few times, I absolutely love the country, the people, SOME of the food (livercasserole, and rieskat Mmmmm!), and basically everything Finnish! Even the language. I even bought a "Teach Yourself Finnish" Pack last time I was in Helsinki (in the Akateminen Kirjakauppa!), but I can't say that I've learnt a lot!

Moikka,
Ned99

Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:17 am

OH-LGA

I think i have seen Lörtsy's at the Market square in Helsinki, but i am not sure.

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

CPDC10-30

Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:32 am

All I know is that Finns hate Swedes and vice-versa.

Joona

RE: Nurminen

Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:53 am

I agree with you about Detroit Red Wings being the best team in the NHL.......too bad they sold Larionov.....I remember the "Russian Five" they used to have. It was great.

Sergei Fedorov, Vladimir Konstantinov, Viacheslav Fetisov, Vyacheslav Kozlov, Igor Larionov, but now they only have Fedorov and Kozlov  Sad(

Good thing they still have Shanahan, Yzerman and Osgood, though.

Z

Joona

RE: Alle

Sun Feb 25, 2001 11:00 am

Sure, those Lörtsys are sold in many markets around Finland, but only those fresh ones, which can be bought at the squares in the Savo regions of Finland, are the only real ones. The ones sold at the markets can't be even compared with the "real ones."

Z

OH-LGA

Sun Feb 25, 2001 12:01 pm

Joona:

All too true... even as close as Jyveskylä the lörtsys aren't nice and fresh... like the kind you get when they are hot and fresh from the Savonlinna market stall... ahh heaven!  Big thumbs up

Moi,
Kai

RayChuang

Sun Feb 25, 2001 12:51 pm

Let's just hope the Finns don't like lutefisk. Big grin I just can't figure out why much of Scandinavia likes the stuff.  Insane

By the way, I believe that Tallinn is so close to Helsinki that nobody flies conventional planes between the two cities. I believe there is a fast ferry service between the two cities and also a very popular passenger helicopter service (downtown Helsinki to downtown Tallinn in 15 minutes).

nurminen

Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:32 pm

Yes, we have ferry service called "Tallink" and it goes daily between Helsinki and Tallinn. We have also some kind of passenger copters,but they are quite small sometimes.It's called "CopterLine".

Joona:

Detroit Red Wings are going to win Stanley Cup on this year!Well, almost...

Have you learnt finnish yet?

CPDC10-30

RE: Joona

Sun Feb 25, 2001 11:03 pm

Igor Larionov was traded back to Detroit earlier this year.

Joona

RE: Detroit Red Wings

Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:08 pm

CPCD10-30: He was?!?! YEESSS!!! GREAT!! Haven't been so much into the NHL very much this season, so I might have lost something. However, I do check out the scores of the previous night every morning

Nurminen: Well, they might win the Cup, they have good chances of winning it, and I sure do want to see that game!

Btw. just checket out 2 days ago. They beated St. Louis Blues and became the division leader. Also, it put them into the second place in the whole NHL  Smile Now, that's my Detroit  Big grin

Z

Tue Feb 27, 2001 1:29 am

Thanks guys!

I am Looking foward to my trip to Finland and Iceland in the not so distant future!

SAS_A330-300

Tue Feb 27, 2001 3:04 am

What I am thinking of the Finnish peolpe?

I just feel sad for you. Beacause of that which happend in Lahti.  Sad
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

nurminen

Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:54 am

yeah..That was sad...I mean that Lahti happening.......
But I have cool news for you too:

Janne Virtanen is the strongest man in the world now!
he won the competition and Swedish man was second...wasn't it???Cool I think!

RE: Lahti Happenings

Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:28 am

I hate the Finnish skiers, why did they let us down Pissed , first Isometsä(  Pissed ) then Immonen(  Pissed ), and now there's a rumor about Kirvesniemi(  Pissed ) and Jauho(  Pissed ) too! Then the coach for the skijumpers was caught driving drunk!

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

Joona

RE: Lahti Happenings

Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:03 am

Don't forget....Mika Myllylae confessed of using that plasmaex.....????

Z

nurminen

Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:03 am

THANX FOR THE COOL REPLIES!

I know everyone likes Finland,almost all....heheh....!!!!