Coronado, CA...Nice Or No?

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:14 pm

My mom was recently in the south Cali. area on vacation a few weeks ago, and unbeknownst (sp?) to me, she was house shopping. She said she found a really nice house in Coronado. I am wondering, is it a nice place? Anyone been there? Its just a suburb of San Diago, right? Its not defnate we are buying the house, but it is VERY possible. Which i love if we did move! I WANT OUT OF SD!!! So, any info you can give me on this area would be great...!

iflycoach

RE: Coronado, CA...Nice Or No?

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:24 pm

Don't mind me asking but how the hell are you going to afford it out there.?.?.?

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:28 pm

Well, most of my faimlies money is 'old money.' We can afford it out there. Not to mention the stock market has helped a bit, too. Money is not an issue.

So is it nice out there? ((I guess it is, if its exspensive)).

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:39 pm

Yea, it's great there! Only thing I would say is try to stay away from the border!

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:40 pm

Is Coronado close to the boarder?? Thanks for any other info!

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:41 pm

Yes, Coronado is a very nice place. Traffic can be a bitch though as the bridge over to "the mainland" can get really busy. There has been some talk of double-decking it.

But if you have got the money (and out here you will need A LOT of it), I would suggest moving to La Jolla (where I live) or maybe an area in North County like Del Mar or Rancho Santa Fe. Better schooling opportunities and I like the area better.

Aaron G.
San Diego, California

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:43 pm

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:44 pm

Coronado is close to the border in comparison to other communities like it (affluent). I would guess maybe 5-10 miles. hehe Do you want to go to TJ every Friday and get drunk or something?? Smile

Aaron G.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:44 pm

Are there many places for sale in La Jolla? But as you konw, if you talkign about better private schools, I WONT GO!! I dont ever want to go to a private school, again...Anywayz...

I think my mom is really serious about moving there, i hope she is...but i think she is still pretty much open to any suggestions...

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:45 pm

Actually more like 15.

Aaron G.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:46 pm

National City or Lemon Grove  Big thumbs up

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:47 pm

Derek: What don't you like about private schools? If it's the money then don't go to La Jolla High. hehe inside joke that you won't get until you move here...

There are probably a few places for sale in La Jolla put damn will they put you back a hell of a lot. I'm talking at the very least 750K here for a decent-sized house.

Aaron G.

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:47 pm

The north seems to have a lot of places for sale (New Housing), La Jolla would be nothing new just what's there. By close to the border I would mean close to the border away from the ocean.

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:48 pm

CstarU: No wonder you don't like San Diego! Those places suck!!

Aaron G.

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:49 pm

National City at least.

Derek H: I am sure you would like SD the city a hell of a lot more than SD the state, wherever you live.

Aaron G.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:49 pm

Your right, i dont get the "if its the money" thing....because its not the money...definately not...So which is the best community in south Cali? I am going to tell my mom about La Jolla when she gets home tonight...

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:51 pm

Well I'll tell you now you DON'T want to move to LA. Orange County would be ok I guess, but I still like SD the best Smile. They are all very different cities though so I am not too familiar with OC or LA. Just don't move to LA!!

La Jolla is basically what it's name means: a jewel. You would like it.

Aaron G.

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:53 pm

No, no, no go live by the ocean if you can afford it  Big thumbs up!

Although if you want to be real wild you can move to Krammer Junction - it's still Southern Cali but there Power Lines and Gas Stations out number the population of the town, hey your only 40 miles from Mojave Airport!

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:55 pm

Or move to Hesperia, California. If you really want to feel like you have no purpose in life, move either there or to Ontario.

Aaron G.

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:58 pm

You can move to Wasco, nothing but farm fields for miles upon miles upon miles upon miles upon miles! I mean hell, they got a prison there and it's about 15 miles from 5 where you can see more miles upon miles of farm field!

Hows Malibu? I think i would like that, get an ocean front...hmm....maybe i'll mention that....

Trvlr

No that's LA!!! I'm warning you!!

I gotta go now.

Aaron G.

RE: Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:59 pm

Damn! I was going to build a fifty-room mansion in National City. Now, I'm to moving to LaJolla instead...bringing my shopping cart and garbage bags--that's all I can afford there. Look for me, I'll be on the corner of Torrey Pines and Prospect. Big grin

regards,

P.S. I like S.D. but not as much as before.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:59 pm

we are sick of farms!! i think thats why she wants to move! we are sick of midwestern life. Farms farms farms...hicks hicks hicks....eh....I WANT OUT!!

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:00 pm

Hollywood, Beverly Hills...How are those? I am sure we could get a nice place there....

RE: Derek H

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:02 pm

I heard Compton is a nice place.

gocaps16

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:02 pm

If it's not a money issue, why don't you move or however, buy the San Clemente Island. You and your familiy would just love it there.  Smile

You can commute to San Diego buy boat or a plane.
Live near Escondido in the desert, housing and nice and affordable around there.

K. Cook/DCA

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:06 pm

I think she would like to be somewhere by the ocean, she likes the water...I think she/we will have to think about it for a while...

gocaps16

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:08 pm

According to me, I say move to Imperial Beach near Chula Vista. Never know, you might have an ass in your backyard.

K. Cook/DCA

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:11 pm

You could move to Vallejo the arm pit of San Francisco OR if you want to "chill with your hommies" any place that Dr Dre raps about alot in his songs would be good. Carlton, Long Beach, or Inglewood(sp?)

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:12 pm

Above Coronado wouldn't be bad it's kind of hilly there so you could get a nice view of the ocean and the city up high!

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:20 pm

Above Coronado wouldn't be bad it's kind of hilly

Huh? Coronado is a pretty flat island or is it an isthmus. You mean across the bay in Point Loma and Cabrillo Nat'l Monument.

iflycoach

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:25 pm

Exactly!

Trvlr

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:46 pm

CstarU: The corner of Torrey Pines and Prospect eh? Rough neighborhood. I don't know how you'll muscle out the cross-dresser that's usually there though... Smile That is true in fact that there is a bum in La Jolla. It just seems so...out of place. She/he is usually by the Vons at the end of Torrey Pines road or at the bank/parking structure on the corner of Girard and Fay Smile.

Gocaps16: Escondido is actually pretty developed now. It's not that much of a desert...and housing is getting pretty expensive there.

Derek H: Well you definitely wont find hicks and farms here. Well actually there are some classy horse-raising farms but they are mostly quaint rather than sprawling. In La Jolla, Del Mar, and pretty much all the way up the coast there are some pretty nice houses that are right on the beach.

Just don't go anywhere south of I-94 and you should be fine. And don't move to LA!!!

Aaron G.

Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:22 pm

Well thanks all for your suggestions!!

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:11 am

Well, I have talked my mom into seriusly considering La Jolla (since it sounds so nice!). Today she was looking at houses online, in La Jolla. She found a few she likes. So she is flying down there in a week to look at some (and hopfuly buy!!)...But I shouldn't get my hopes up, beceause ya never know, but might stay here...But I doubt it, she is kinda excited. She has her heart set on one house she found, which she is going to look at. It sounds GREAT! 6br (which is too many for only 3 of us, IMHO)...i think she said around 8,000sf...i think, im not sure, it has a pool and such. That sounds like the best one, so i hope she goes down and buys it. I will be so depressed if she comes back and says we are staying in South Dakota....eh...I dont even want to think about it...I love the warm dry weather of the south west...La Jolla is near the ocean, right?

USAFHummer

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:20 am

Derek,

As an outsider (not from the SD metro area), I would love to move to SD-I think its the nicest city in the United States by far...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:26 am

I like south california for the weather mostly...

Trvlr

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:37 am

San Diego has the best weather in North America, if not the world. I think in a recent ranking it was behind only the Canary Islands as the one place with the best weather.

La Jolla is near the ocean...does your mom happen to know on what street this house is on???

Aaron G.

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:39 am

Trvlr:
I love the Canary Islands! We we on vacation there before...Anywayz...im sure she does, i'll ask her when she gets home.

Trvlr

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:41 am

Ok cool... a lot of the houses you listed have views of the ocean, and there are a lot of nice beaches in La Jolla.

Aaron G.

Accord

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:43 am

I think you are missing the beauty of Mission Bay in San Diego. There appears to be a lot of beach bums
in that area but, it seems safe and friendly enough.....GO ON TELL ME THERE WAS MURDER THERE
YESTERDAY!!

If you can do without the Pacific Ocean how about Palm Springs!! Great Place geezer!! Get it ?? Geezer ho ho ho!

iflycoach

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:51 am

Also this is a biggie make sure the area your moving into has high speed internet - but I'm pretty sure most big cities and areas in California do. If you are a modem user now you will wonder how you lived with it when you get you high speed access TRUST ME!!!!

OH-LGA

Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:55 am

Some relatives of mine live in Coronado now that I think about it... I think they like it pretty well... but if you've got the money I certainly reccomend La Jolla because that's a nice affluent area of town (and only 10-15 min. away from the airport Big grin)

Mission Bay is really nice as well, I haven't been to San Diego for some time (and might have gone this summer except we're going to Finland) so I couldn't tell you much more, except it's a nice city, and has a great zoo!

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Wed Feb 21, 2001 8:07 am

Trvlr:

I went into my moms office and was looking though some papers on her desk, and found some what i think are road names, here they are:

Camino de la Costa
Torry Pine RD and
Upper Hillside Dr

Are these roads there? I think they are? What are they like? I am assuming these are the places my mom is going to look at.

OH-LGA

Wed Feb 21, 2001 8:18 am

Wow... Camino de la Costa's pretty close to the ocean... depending on the street address... Torrey Pine Rd. isn't bad either... and no idea whatsoever about Upper Hillside Dr., but then again this is all thanks to Mapquest  Smile

The first two aren't that far from Aaron's house... maybe at my running speed 10-15 minutes? Big grin I've actually never been through La Jolla, but heard a lot about it...

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Trvlr

Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:53 am

I pass right by Upper Hillside Drive on my way to school...it is a VERY nice area. It is on Mt. Soledad, which if you go to the monument at the summit you can see all of San Diego; North County/Golden Triangle/UCSD area, downtown, the beaches, and usually all the way down to Mexico.

Camino de la Costa is a nice place too, but I don't like it as much as Hillside. If your mom wants to be able to walk from the house to the ocean in 5 minutes instead of driving for 5 minutes as you would on Hillside Dr, then you might want to choose Camino de la Costa. But the whole beach thing loses its appeal after a while and you wouldnt mind the drive at all. I would go with Hillside if I had to compare the two.

Where exactly on Torrey Pines Rd is this place?? It's a pretty long street. However, from my knowledge of houses there I still think Hillside would be your best bet.

Aaron G.

Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:15 am

Ok, thanks, i'll have to let her know that Hillside is a good place...

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!!

RE: Trvlr

Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:25 am

...Mt. Soledad, which if you go to the monument at the summit you can see all of San Diego; North County/Golden Triangle/UCSD area, downtown, the beaches, and usually all the way down to Mexico

Nice view of MCAS Miramar and Hwy 52 also, and a nice place to bring someone special in the evening...see, I'm beginning to miss San Diego. I still love that place, although my heart was once broken there, but that's another story...and for Dr. Ruth.  Big grin

Is Mt. Soledad on private land now. I thought there was a lawsuit because of the huge cross erected on the site.