So Far I Like Joseph Kabila

Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:25 am

After, his father, Congo President Laurent Kabila was assassinted, son Joseph has been making all the right moves.

Just today, Congo enemy Uganda has announced that they will remove 1,000 troops from eastern Congo, because of peach assurances from Kabila.

Additionally, Kabila, has made stident attempts at peace in his war torn country by meeting with neighboring leaders , most notabally Pres. Paul Kagame in Rwanda, as well as revolutionaries in his country.

Additionally, Kabila has stayed in close touch with US scretary of state Colin Powell who is assisting in mediating the peace efforts.

He has expressed support for the deployment of UN peacekeepers in eastern Congo and has announced he will not continue to right Rwanda's 20,000 occupation troops in DRC.

Hope better things to come.....

rgds
russ

RE: So Far I Like Joseph Kabila

Thu Feb 22, 2001 3:42 am

I don't think Kabila jnr has that many options regarding the problems in the east of his country, and his attempts to seek a settlement of sorts with the opposing forces isn't surprising at all - remember that just prior to his installation as president he had just returned from the warfront in the southeast, where the army he was commanding had been routed by Rwandan and Rwandan-backed forces. This after Kabila had launched an offensive to try regain lost territory, but his outclassed forces retreated so much after the Rwandans counter-attacked that they ended up losing even more territory than before. I've heard that Kabila made it out of one skirmish by the skin of his teeth, but was forced to abandon his command helicopter in the process. I think the experience has driven home to him that his side will not be able to obtain a military solution to the problems in the east, even with the (now waning) support of Angola & Zimbabwe.