Mon Mar 05, 2001 4:39 am

ATP Helo. CFII

RE: Attention All Pilots Here

Mon Mar 05, 2001 4:49 am

Sushka Va's don't count!
Iain

Mon Mar 05, 2001 4:54 am

Commercial Pilot in about 2 weeks time!!!! I can't wait. Even though I've been told that the toughest part is yet to come, landing a job with an airline...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Mar 05, 2001 5:27 am

Commercial-Multi and Single engine land... instrument rating, Advanced Ground instructor, Ill get my CFI as soon as I get chance... freaking college is a pain.
Chicks dig winglets.

DG_pilot

Mon Mar 05, 2001 5:45 am

I am a PP-ASEL,
working on Instrument, High Performance, and Taildragger ratings.

Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:44 am

DG not to be picky or anything high performance and tailwheel are sign offs not ratings.
Iain

DG_pilot

Mon Mar 05, 2001 7:21 am

Yeah, I realized my mistake soon after I posted. Thank you for correcting me.  Wink/being sarcastic

And for PawBob, actually they are not called licenses, they are called certificates. There is a difference. That is my nit-pick for today. sorry  Wink/being sarcastic

Mon Mar 05, 2001 7:37 am

DG pilot we are all getting very nit picking here aren't we??

I have 160TT and the largest thing I have flown was a C-421.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Iain

Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:07 am

Airline Transport Pilot & Flight Engineer Ratings.

Airplane Multiengine Land & Airplane Single Engine Land & Turbojet Powered.

Type Ratings:
Allison-Convair 580
BE1900
DC-9
737 (soon)

Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:11 am

Should be ATP and FE certificates--not ratings.

Aerotech

Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:42 am

Private, instrument, multi,commercial and rotorcraft.

Type Rating:
C-150
C-172
Aztec
R-22

DE727UPS

Mon Mar 05, 2001 3:37 pm

ATP-Multi engine
Commercial-Airplane SE Land and Sea
CFI-Airplane, Instrument, Multi
Flight Engineer-Turbojet
Convair 600/640 type rating

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Mar 05, 2001 4:24 pm

Aerotech..i also dont mean to be picky..but a type rating is a specific course taken for a specific airplane.. it is very involved. Most light airplanes dont require type ratings... Any airplane with Max Gross over 12,500 pounds or any turbojet powered plane requires a type rating... I have also heard it called type specific training.

You have been whats known as "checked out" in those airplanes.. you technically could just hop in them after properly famliarizing yourself with the plane. A type rating shows up on your actual lisence under Part XII Ratings. Hope this helps Big grin
Chicks dig winglets.

Aerotech

Mon Mar 05, 2001 5:54 pm

True, but I am type rated in the R-22. In the helicopter world, you have to be type rated in each kind due to the massive difference in each one's flight dynamics.

almbluzman

Tue Mar 06, 2001 12:15 pm

i hold a private pilot airplane single-engine land certificate. the instrument rating is about four months away.

almbluzman

p.s. to dc-9 capt - i take it you're starting out in the 737? did you start class yet?

Pilot1113

Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:32 pm

I'm the holder of a Private Pilot's License!

I'm currently working on my Instrument Rating and next summer I hope to take our 727 simulator course at Purdue. Granted, that won't get me the 727 rating, but it's something to put down on the ol' resume!

- Neil Harrison

Tue Mar 06, 2001 3:00 pm

I have a first class medical certificate (Student pilot)
I am going to take the Private Test in a week (15th B-Day) just for fun, as well as the instrument. Currently flying out of Blue Skies Aviation at Van Nuys CA.
You fly out of John Wayne right Ian?

Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:35 pm

As everyone else is getting picky i may as well join in....

XFSUetc, my first type rating was on a Cessna 172. Yep type rating required for the issue of my CPL. A friend of mine did her type rating on a Piper J3 Cub, she even drew a hand to describe the starting system.

DG_Pilot, they can very easily be called LICENCES, I've held a PPL, CPL and ATPL.

The nice little piece of FAA issued paper that i carry in my wallet is a certificate with the privileges of Air Transport Pilot. But the bloody great big book that i have to carry with numerous pages in it is most certainly called a LICENCE.

So guys, before you jump on someone, just remember that not all of us live in the USA!

FLY 8

Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:13 pm

Commercial Licence (USA)
Single engine land and sea
Multie engine land
Instrument airplane
Learjet 31-a Type rating

CFII (USA)

Commercial Licence (Austria)
Class C
Instrument rating
Dornier 328-110 Type rating

Written ATPL (Austria)
Long range navigation
MNPSA, RVSM, ETOPS, plotting theorie

Glider Pilot Licence (Austria)

Best regards, Benjamin!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:17 pm

Leftseat86 - Not currently, I used to fly out of there, I am flying out of Wycombe in the UK now!
Iain

Fri Mar 09, 2001 3:32 am

This should probably go in another thread, but since it applies only to pilots, I'll keep it here.

Of all your checkrides, which was your toughest one?

Did you have any surprises during a checkride?

Share your story here.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Mar 09, 2001 3:53 am

My hardest checkride was my PPL one, reason being it was the only one I have taken.

No surprises what so ever, I would discribe it as flying with a frind. The lady that I did my checkride with was very fair, and very very nice. Her son is a pilot for Alaska, and when he was a CFI, his did there checkrides with his mom! The examinars are very fair, and if you can fly the plane you pass!

One note, I was the first student from that school to go up with that examinar! However she is not used by the flight school any more, as I was the only one who passed first time with her!
Iain

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:52 am

Pawbob- my instrument rating checkride was my toughest so far.. definitely the most intense. Although my mulit-engine checkride was complicated by the fact that i actually did lose an engine..but i handled it perfectly and i was issued my ME rating.

The CFI initial is defintiely going to prove to be the craziest... 2 hour oral, 2 hour flight. Sheesh. I've got a pretty good routine i get in now for checkrides, but it is still quite the experience.
Chicks dig winglets.

gocaps16

Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:55 am

Sometimes you might get a suprise from the FAA examiner. I hear the flying and manuever parts isn't that bad, but what is bad is they'll ask you some pretty hard questions that you need to correctly answer. But it helps for your FAA writtens. According to my CFI, lots of students blow it on their landings.

Is the FAA practical test before or after your written test? I'm planning on taking my writtens and practical test this spring.

Kevin/DCA

Fri Mar 09, 2001 8:50 am

Written then practical. The biggest surprise you will probably get is when you taxi back, and they will say something along the lines 'If you park the plane where you got it, you passed!' Just try to enjoy your checkride (I know you are thinking 'like that is possible' but most examinar are really nice so it should not be a problem!) Also remember they are required to tell you you fail as soon as you did, so if you lost 110 feet on a steep and they ask for a stall, you know they did not see that 10 feet!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Iain

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:11 am

Yep..i actually learn the most it seems like during my checkrides. I remember clearly each one. Ill be getting my CFI and CFII in one big fat checkride the second week of May...so that will be one imprinted in my memory i am sure.
Chicks dig winglets.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:23 am

I agree you always seem to learn so much more during phase checks, and checkrides. Best of luck on your CFI and II, I landed once from the right seat (when flying with a friend) my landing was OK but felt a little funny, especially on short final, it was at night too!
But ofcourse it was good fun!
Iain

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:29 am

Thanks Iainhol, yeah the transition to the right seat was kinda wierd at first, but after about the second time i went up my body made the adjustments. The hardest thing is verbalizing all your actions for your student and compensating for the parrallax that occurs by viewing the instruments from the side. I still kinda line up on final slightly to the right of the center line for some reason... That definitely would have complicated things if it was at night Big grin. Everytime i go up i always learn something new...just have to take that and put it in the memory bank and learn something useful from it.
Chicks dig winglets.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:38 am

It sounds like you will be a fine instructor.

>>Everytime i go up i always learn something new<<
Don't we all, last time I was up it was my first time in a Piper Single and boy I learnt a lot!

You really gain a new respect for you instructor when you first fly in the right seat. The thing I noticed was you can not read the numbers on the right side of the airspeed indicator, I actually had the guy in the left seat read it to me on my base turn and on short final (a little bit of cheating Big grin) However I remember my instructor saying 'Iain you are 5 knots slow, and I now wonder hoe can she see??' The other funnying things was using different hands but you know what you have to do you just got to do it!
Iain

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:44 pm

I really appreciate that Iain.

As far as the parrallax-You get kinda used to seeing the instruments from the otherside.. it's just a matter of learning to translate what you see from the right seat into what you used to see from the left seat....if that makes any sense at all. Are you looking into getting your CFI when you get enough hours? (i dont think i remember seeing the ratings you have..so i have no clue Big grin) I gotta get some sleep though... IT'S SPRING BREAK TIME!!! WOO HOO!!
Chicks dig winglets.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 9:14 pm

XFSU:

Good Luck on your CFI/II. I'd have to say the one ride that always sticks in my mind is my Private. (I guess that's called The Law Of Primacy).

My CFI test was done with this 68 year old examiner. Sharp as a tack.

We did a full day of oral, and a two hour practical. The oral was done on a Friday. At the end of the day, he said we'd continue the oral on Monday, followed by the practical test. He asked that I prepare ground lessons on two specific helicopter manuevers. He emphasized that I needed to use and bring all available references regarding those two lessons.

To make a long story short, I looked them up in every FAA publication, and believe me I had them all. Could not find anything except a short paragraph. On Sunday, I gave up, and decided to check my email. While I was on the net, I did a search on those two subjects and found two detailed articles written by helicopter kit builders. I printed them and brought them with me on Monday.

First thing the Examiner askes me is the two ground lessons and my references. I showed him what I had off the net. To my surprise, he tells me that I passed my oral, and he did not require me to give the ground lessons. He said he picked those two subjects in particular because he KNEW that there was not a lot of detail about them in the FAA publications. I had satisfied him that I was resourceful and was able to find answers to student questions and prepare well for lessons.

The practical was no problem.  Smile

Purdue Arrow

Sat Mar 10, 2001 2:33 pm

I currently have a commercial pilot certificate with single engine land, multi engine land, and instrument ratings. I am also a CFI and an instrument ground instructor.

Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:44 am

Here's a list of my airman certificates and ratings.

Airline Transport Pilot:
Airplane Multiengine Land with Galaxy, Astrajet, and Learjet Type Ratings

Commercial Privileges:
Airplane Single Engine Land and Gliders

Flight Instructor:
Airplane Single and Multiengine
Instrument
Glider

I'd be curious to know how many years and hours of combined experience we can come up with among the pilots on this forum. I'll start if off. I know that I've got a respectable amount, but there are others out there with much more. I've got 13,000 Hours and 35 years.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:32 pm

I've got 5000 hours & 12 years.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:28 pm

Now we're up to 18,000 hours/47 years - keep it coming.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:33 pm

About 170 hours, and been flying for about 4 years!
(I don't think I am a key player in this)
Iain
PS post this in the techinal or civil forums it will get way more attention!

DE727UPS

Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:30 am

I quit keeping a logbook several years ago since how many hours I have doesn't mean much to me....but I've been flying 23 years and have around 8000 hours.

SophieMaltese

Sun Mar 18, 2001 8:59 am

Iainhol, I think you're more of a key player than I am. I've got 2.1 (hours, not years)

Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:11 am

Sophie we where all there one day, you will be amazed how soon you will pass 100 and on up! As say they time flies, and in our case it does literally!
Iain

Sun Mar 18, 2001 1:09 pm

Well, so far we're up to 26,172.1 Hours and 74 years and two weeks (Thanks Sophie!) I think that I'll transfer this post over to the civil aviation forum like was suggested and see where this goes to...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Jetguy

Sun Mar 18, 2001 1:15 pm

Ive got 315 hours and 2 years.
Chicks dig winglets.