Maple Leaf On Bags?

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:28 am

I have always wondered this...
Why do Canadians sew the flag on their bags?
Is this just a sign that you like your country?

JAT

RE: Maple Leaf On Bags?

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:35 am

I don't know.........

Although it is very common, in fact, I have one on my bag too.

It is the last ounce of patritizam(sp?) that Canada has left. You should see my grade 10 class "stand" for the playing of O Canada....

LH423

Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:14 am

Methinks it's Canadians not wanting to be confused with Americans! Is this right guys? You don't want to be confused with us rambunctious (sp?), loud, fun loving Yanks?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

CPDC10-30

Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:55 am

Methinks it's Canadians not wanting to be confused with Americans! Is this right guys? You don't want to be confused with us rambunctious (sp?), loud, fun loving Yanks?

Actually, its more like not wanting to get shot in the head.

CVG777

Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:29 pm

Actually it has part to do with what CPDC10-30 said...

I knew a family who were Canadians and who lived in the U.S. Whenever they would travel they would wear maple leaf pins so, 'just in case' anything happened they would be thought to be Canadians and not Americans. They would also fly only the Canadian airlines whenever they could. They didn't want to be confused with Americans. I guess it is just the way they thought, and it made them feel safer. It actually sounds like a very smart thing to do............... 'just in case.'

JAT

Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:38 pm

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those "proud" Americans pretending to be us inferiour Canadians, so they don't get killed because the rest of the world hates their country???

Americans?!?!?!?!

Hated?!?!?!?!?!

No?!?!?!?!?!

Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:51 pm

Hmm... When I was visiting in China last summer I was negotiating with a street saleswoman for something or other, and she pensively asked me, "Are you American?" Since I am British-Canadian, I responded, "No, Canadian." To which she smiled and lowered the price to the price I was asking for.
However, I think that saying we wear Canadian flags to differentiate ourselves from Americans is arrogant.
Why should we need to state that we are not American?
The entire world does not revolve around that one country.
Wearing a flag on their is just something people do.

CVG777

Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:06 pm

I do realise that wearing your country's flag or symbol is something people to do to show pride in their country. The thing is that they actually said the they wore the Maple Leaf pins 'just in case.' They said it, I am not making that up.

I am not saying everybody does is it so they don't get 'shot' or whatever. However, some people, and probably a very limited number of those some people, do it for other reasons. In this instance they did it to distinguish themselves from Americans, making them feel safer when traveling internationally. And they did a lot of international travel too.

AC_A340

Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:48 pm

Canadians always seem to get treated better when traveling abroad. Plus it is kind of tradition I guess. I have one on my bag.

LH423

Fri Mar 09, 2001 8:13 am

Just for the record, I have never felt unsafe travelling, even sitting on a Yugoslavian train from Vienna to Budapest. I think, no matter what nationality you are, as long as you are nice, and courteous, etc you will get a positive reaction. I will agree that you are slightly safer by putting a Canadian flag on your bag, coz, let's face it, despite being UN and NATO members, and being involved in several wars in the past 100 years, Canada has never seriously pissed any nation off, making themselves a target.

However, for the record, even if I was Canadian, I still would not put a flag on my bag. Not to say I wouldn't be proud to be a Canadian, I just feel that it's no one's business where you're from, and if they have a problem with Americans, that's their problem and not mine.

The most unrealistic picture I ever saw was a picture of a backpacker at a French train station with a huge American flag on his pack. Granted, this was for French class, and one of the questions is to identify his nationality, but what American would ever do thatBig grin

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Fri Mar 09, 2001 8:30 am

Hmmm... I should remember to wear the American flag when I go overseas from now on....

CPDC10-30

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:18 pm

Hehe...kind of funny though. It is a great way of meeting fellow canucks though. Just go to the eiffel tower in Paris and you'll see hundreds of maple leafs!