WorldVoyager
Topic Author

Hong Kong Or Singapore?

Sat Mar 10, 2001 1:01 pm

Much like the Boston/New York post. . .

Both are small, modern oasises in the world's biggest, most populated continent.

Both have strong financial ties, gleaming skyscrapers, modern amenities and lots of sights and sounds.

And lets not forget famous airports!

But back to the question:

If you had to choose one of these cities to LIVE in, which one would it be? Why?

StarAlliance

RE: Hong Kong Or Singapore?

Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:25 pm

Of course Hong Kong!!

1) a milder climate in HK. In Singapore, you won't find any winter. Everyday, every year is extremely hot.
2) Hong Kong is bigger in size. It means that there are more places for the country parks and other parks. in Singapore, you can't find a country park at all!
3) Hong Kong is not only bustling, there are also lots of scenic places for you to see and relaz. In Singapore, you can't find one.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 10, 2001 5:36 pm

Singapore. I found there was many things to do. Shopping, MRT, the zoos and museums on the west side of the island. Sentosa was great.

Having been to Hong Kong, it does come close. However I like the cleaner streets of Singapore than open-air markets.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

United Airline

Sat Mar 10, 2001 6:07 pm

We do have Ocean Park too. And we will be having a Disneyland as well as Universal Studio very soon in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has a lot of places for shopping as well. For example: Festival Walk, Pacific Place, Times Square etc etc.

Besides, Hong Kong has the most expensive as well as modern airport in the world. It is the second largest Financial Centre in Asia.

Based on these facts, I love Hong Kong!

Airbus A380

Sat Mar 10, 2001 8:25 pm

To StarAlliance,

you say that Singapore has no parks? On what basis do you have by saying that Singapore has no parks? Hello, have you been around Singapore island? From Lim Chu Kang to Seletar, Tuas to Pasir Ris, Woodlands To Changi, you can find parks everywhere you go. And for your information, just in case your mind went blank at this moment of time, HK's air quality is one of the worst in the world! And once you stepped out of Changi Airport, what will you see? Buildings everywhere or trees all along the road? Where in Hong Kong can you find like that? And one more thing. HK has a milder climate. Yah right and Singapore is EXTREMELY HOT. DUH!!! Singapore is not as hot as you imagined. HK a milder climate? But Singapore does not have typhoons, mind you? Even the housing in HK is one of the worst I've seen, not counting all my HK friends who studied in Singapore. All of them (about 15 of them) says that HK is much, much worst than any other place thay can imagine.

But all I can say is that...There Is No Place Like Home.
Singapore Has Its Nice and Ugly Side. HK Also Has Its Nice And Ugly Side. That Goes The Same For Every Other Place On Planet Earth. But I just can't stand someone criticizing my birthplace when he does not have the proof of what he says.

That's all I have to say.

Warm or Should I Say, Hot Regards
Ishak Ismail aka
Airbus A380

EGGD

Sat Mar 10, 2001 8:54 pm

I love Singapore. When i first stepped out of the airport what greeted me? nice warm humid air and about 6 miles of Grassland, shrubs and tropical forests (and a few hotels but only scattered). In the City there are lots of places, all around there are small parks right in the center of the city, Mount Faber, The Botanical gardens are huge and along Tanglin Road there are a few parks. I'd say Singapore was one of the most modern and natural citys in the whole world, and being just over 100km's from the Equator makes the climate hot and humid all year round which i like.

EGGD

ryanb741

Sat Mar 10, 2001 9:26 pm

Singapore DOES have parks, amongst other names it is known as the GARDEN CITY!!!

It all depends what you want. Singapore is undeniably the cleanest, most efficient city on earth, and comes second only to Bangkok in having the best food.

However, Singapore has had a lot of its culture wiped out - Chinatown, Little India, Arab St etc, and replaced by skyscrapers. As such, it does not have a Kowloon, like Hong Kong. In this context, Hong Kong is a more 'authentic' place, as it has retained its culture and atmosphere.

For me, I would love to live in either city, I just love Asian cities for their vibrancy.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Airbus A3XX

Sun Mar 11, 2001 3:22 am

Hong Kong, at least you could have gums!

EGGD

Sun Mar 11, 2001 3:37 am

hhhhhmmmmm, i'd say the cost of living in Singapore is way to high, especially owning a car. I don't know what it is like in Hong Kong but i suppose it should be cheaper.

I'd say Singapore's food is better than Bangkok's!

EGGD

JAL

Sun Mar 11, 2001 6:19 am

Hong Kong
Work Hard But Play Harder

StarAlliance

Sun Mar 11, 2001 5:58 pm

A380,

I know, everyone don't like to be criticized. However, perhaps, it is our difference in the definition of the meaning of COUNTRY PARKS!

Country parks are areas where there are many HILLS and PONDS. Also, they are reserved for leisure activities ONLY, where any residentail, industrial and commercial activites are restricted and banned.

Besides, where is the DEMOCRACY in your STRICT Singapore!!! Here, all the citizens can have our says in the public without the suppression from the government!!!! That's is very important. We have both large political parties , one support the govenment and the other one critize the government, in the lesgislative council. But in Singapore, as far as I know, there is only a major party in the government which only give support and no opposition voices are allowed!!

That's a good debate!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

United Airline

Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:48 pm

EGGD:

Properties in HK is about 5 times more expensive than in Singapore. In fact, we have knocked Tokyo down last year for Property prices.

Things in HK are EXTREMELY expensive. In fact, too expensive. Should come down a bit

Des

Airbus A380

Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:03 am

StarAlliance,

Now I know what you mean by COUNTRY PARK, but do you know that by geographical means, Singapore is an island with almost flat surface while HK is made up of hilly islands? That's why we don't have the "COUNTRY PARK".

By the way, I have to agree with you when you say about Singapore's government. Personally, I hate the Lee Kuan Yew And Sons Party, the PAP. I hate the way PAP discriminates the minorities like us the malays and the indians. I say the gov sucks. Democracy my foot.

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:02 am

United Airline, mate. So where are they going to put the Disneyland and Universal studios?

I've lived in both, and definitely prefer Hong Kong. Seems less like you're living in a test tube, which I personally think is a good thing.

Ciao

EGGD

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:20 am

Mount Faber is a mountain?

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:50 am

Airbus A380,

Maybe its just me but you qouted "I hate the way PAP DISCRIMINATES THE MINORITIES like us the Malays and the Indians."

I do not know why you feel this way but i don't think so."Opportunitires For All" (Singapore 21)But I do agree there is a lack of opposition.

Regards,
åviatioÑ_lover

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:57 am

Definitely Singapore.I've been to Hong Kong in October and the people there are terribly rude.Streets dark and dirty,you may even get mugged!!Stuff in HK is also rather expensive.

While for Singapore,the people are much friendlier,and at night,the streets are bright and clean,and that reduces the risk of getting mugged!

Gundu

Singapore 777

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:59 am

Regarding that, I have to agree with you Airbus A380. But you have to remember one thing: at that time, we had just separated from Malaysia and the Malays must be having a hard time finding an identity with either country. I wouldn't call it discrimmination but more like safety of the defence force...I mean we all wouldn't like to have Malaysia know our defence secrets would we?

CXA330-342

Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:31 am

I'd most likely want to live in Singapore. It's the seventh cleanest city in the world, and that would benefit my health greatly. Plus, I love Changi. Watching TV on a bus wouldn't be bad, either, though I rarely use public transportation.

FLY777UAL

Mon Mar 12, 2001 11:47 am

Hong Kong.

-The Climate
-The Peak
-The Peninsula.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Airbus A380

Mon Mar 12, 2001 11:55 am

To all,

You guys don't feel the discrimination of the minorities, it's because you are not the minorities. Just walk along Orchard Road, and ask some of the young Malay and Indians chap you meet. Ask them about the gov, and they will certainly say to you that it is a piece of B***S***.

Singapore 777,

you are now sounding like LKY. What's wrong letting the Malays handle the sophisticated weapons in the Army? Only because we have family ties with the Malays in Malaysia? So you mean the Chinese don't have any family ties with Malaysia? The Singapore leaders should have full faith in every single Singaporean, including the Malays.

Pacific

Mon Mar 12, 2001 4:00 pm

According to my mum's experience, Hong Kong's skyline beats Singapore's. She's seen them on the cruise ships SuperStar Virgo in Singapore and SuperStar Leo in Hong Kong. Although I've never been there, Singapore is famous for being clean.
Streets in the CBD are very well lighted. Outside, it's a little dark.

Pacific

StarAlliance

Mon Mar 12, 2001 6:46 pm

To Singapore citizens,
I just want to know whether you guys have vote there. If so, are there any opposition parties allowed. If there are opposition parties, will they get a lot of votes?

Thanks

cathay250

Mon Mar 12, 2001 6:56 pm

Well i am from HK, obviously i will choose my home. Because i like shopping, i like nightlife, and atmostphere in HK. Streets in HK are very well lighted, where had you been in HK during your last visit, Gundu?

I have many singaporean schoolmates, many of them have been to HK, most of them think HK is a more lifely and trendy place, obviously, they like it very much.

but if i have kids, i may choose to live in singapore because i want my kid to be taught in English .

Airbus A380

Mon Mar 12, 2001 6:57 pm

StarAlliance and those who wants to know,

Yes, in Singapore's General Election, which is expected to take place at the end of this year, the Elections Commission do allow certain opposition parties to take part. Some of the well-known opposition parties are Singapore Democratic Party, which controls the Potong Pasir GRC and the Workers Party, which controls the Hougang GRC. Why do I say certain opposition parties can take part? Well, because the mentioned opposition parties were mostly dominated by Chinese whereas the Malay opposition party, the Persatuan Kebangsaan Melayu Singapura (PKMS) or literally translated, Singapore Malays National Association, was banned soon after the PAP won a General Elections in Singapore (I forgot which year it was). That is why I say the Malay was discriminated in Singapore. We Malays could not speak out.

oxygen

RE: Hong Kong Nor Singapore?

Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:24 pm

Sendai is the best

oxygen

Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:36 pm

Actually it seems that those who live in Hong Kong prefer Hong Kong, and those who live in Singapore prefer Singapore. And those who live in Hong Kong have Singaporean friends who says that Singapore is worse than Hong Kong, and those who live in Singapore have Hong Kong friends who says that Hong Kong is worse than Singapore.
Hmmmm..... very interesting. ( is this patriotism?)
I think that's because those who live in Hong Kong haven't experienced the comfortable, clean, tidy, quite, peaceful and nice city life of Singapore, and some Singaporeans doesn't understand the meaning of an exciting, fun , busy and free life in Hong Kong.

The best situation to me is that after having my shopping and school in HK, I can go back to the comfort of my home in Singapore. Thats the best.

StarAlliance

Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:45 pm

Oxygen,
Sendai is in Japan!!

Singapore 777

RE: Airbus A380

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:06 pm

Yeah...I agree with you on that one mate! Sorry, I don't really mean to sound like LKY. I guess he has his reasons. But I thought they recently changed the policies right?

Not to say that Chinese have no Malaysian ties...but errmmm....I can't quite express the jist of what I want to say.

a380

Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:17 am

For me, Hong Kong of course!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Tue Mar 13, 2001 9:13 am

Cathay250,I was at nui Yan Gai(Ladie's Street) as my mom wanted to do some shopping

Gundu

WorldVoyager
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:05 am

A lot has been discussed so far.

But there are other important factors as well when determining where to LIVE, such as

education
health
taxes
climate
etc.

How do the two cities compare regarding such factors?

EGGD

Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:46 am

No biasism there from CXA340, and also it was a very mature comment too.

EGGD

Pacific

Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:47 am

The HK education system is crap. Tests after tests after tests. Students carry so many heavy books and do loads of rote (spelling?) learning.

Pacific

StarAlliance

Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:19 pm

I don't know much about the sys. in Singapore. But , I can offer some info of HK:
Education: 9 years free compulsory education equivalent of grade 1 to grade 9, the rest you have to pay.
Health: Free emergency health service!
Tax: I remember that it is only 15% for business company and NO tax for buying stuff like food, drinks etc. NO VAT!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Climate: Mild climate.
Transport: the world famous airport!! extensive rail links linking most part of the area!

Airbus A380

CXA340 & Eggd

Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:57 pm

Peace be upon you all,

CXA340 wrote:

Hong Kong all the way SIA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CX!!!

(Singapore_air in the chat also stinks along with his stinky airline!)

CXA340

Excuse me, Hong Kong and SIA are two different things, completely. SIA is an airline and Hong Kong is the Special Administrative Region of China. The forum here says "Hong Kong & Singapore", not "Singapore Airlines & Cathay Pacific"! Wake up!

And you, EGGD, you say that CXA340's comments are mature? I suggest you think again. Even he does not know how to differentiate between SIA & HK. And his biasism was clear. Cursing SIA and Singapore_air and hailing his favourite airline.

Warm Regards
Ishak Ismail
Airbus A380

Trvlr

Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:00 pm

I've only been to Hong Kong, but from what I hear Singapore is just as spectacular a place. However, from what I have experienced and read/seen, I think if I had to choose a city to live in it would be Singapore. As far as climate goes, it would be too damn humid for me in either city so I don't think I would mind if I was that much closer to the Equator in S'pore. Since I don't plan on being any type of social delinquent, I don't think I'd care much about the laws.

Both skylines are spectacular I think. In books, Singapore's looks magnificent, but it is pretty hard to beat the view of the Island from the boardwalk outside the Regent Hotel in Kowloon.

Aaron G.

oxygen

RE: Smart Guy!

Fri Mar 16, 2001 5:04 pm

Airbus A380, don't you know what really EGGD means ? Oh my gosh, you are very smart indeed !

sydneysider

Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:10 pm

Hi,
maybe I can give you some impressions of both cities from an more objective point, ´cause I´m a European, having visited both cities two-times, and never had/have a special "that´s my homecity"-feeling for one of the cities.
Hongkong: A wonderful landscape, i.e.the island of lantau (correct?) with this wonderful buddha-monument at this ,ountain (sorry, don´t remember the name). The skyline is the second best in the world, of course behind NYC. The city looks great, good shopping in kowloon, but where do you live in a city? In the suburbs, right? And they look, hm, what´s the right word, grey! Skyscrapers with 1000s of flats: sorry, but that always remembers me for the former east-germany. Just a question, what is the average living-space in HK? Why I´m asking that? `Cause here in Germany the most families live in own houses with more than 150m² living-space. Every German has, in absolute numbers, 32,7m² living-space for its own. So, just a guess, life in HK would be to claustrophobic for me. Holidays, wondeful, but life!
S´pore :The same thing here. It also seems to be very narrow-built, of course, it is just a small island. What I like are the very clean streets in your republic, never saw this elsewhere. And, of course, you have some wonderful attractions, like Sentosa and the Nightsafari, just to name a few. But thre´s one thing that is a littlebit, maybe you can say, nervous. Always when I´m in S´pore I have the feeling : Oh, don´t do something wrong, you could be sent to prison. Last time I´ve bought a shirt with some of your laws on it (I think you know which shirt I mean) and how much bucks you have to pay. Just a question: Are these real laws? Sorry, but I don´t understand why, i.e., public dancing isn´t allowed. What is the problem with that? OK, I can understand, no drugs or alcohol (for me as a German that´s very hard  Smile/happy/getting dizzy !), but that?!? maybe someone of you can explain me that, please.
For both cities: yeah, your climate is very tropical, but that´s ok, I like it. We just have rain here in Northern Germany, it´s a littlebit bristish weather here. But, living in one of the cities, I would indeed miss a real winter with snow, boarding, etc. . That would be hard for me.

I like both cities for holidays or maybe living for a 1/2 year, but not forever. My homecity-to-be, hm guess, look at my username.

Best wishes,
Chris

ryanb741

Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:36 pm

I am European, but my opinion is that no city in Europe can come close to matching Hong Kong or Singapore interms of being a great place to live.

Both these cities have a nice climate, great food, prices aren't too high (compared to London), loads to do, modern cityscape (I live in London and get soooooooo depressed by all the old buildings) and a great work ethic. There are foxy chicks(!) in both Singapore and Hong Kong(how is it that Asian women always manage to look so gorgeous?) and both cities are forward-looking, with a very well educated populace.

I know I would love to live in either place.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

cfalk

Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:43 pm

I'm split. If I had to move to Asia with my family, I'd prefer Singapore. It's clean, well policed, and modern. If I were on my own however, I might go for Hong Kong. Tons of things to do, and bustling hardly describes the level of activity. The noise level on the streets is amazing.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

oxygen

Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:06 pm

I would prefer to live in Europe instead. I am quite sick of the overcrowdiness in Hong Kong.

ryanb741

Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:12 pm

Oxygen, do you want to swap?!!? I live in London.

oxygen

Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:17 pm

wooo, I would love to. My father lived in London for a while before I ws born, and he loved the wet and foggy weather there. I like that weather too.

ryanb741

Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:30 pm

I can assure you that after a while you will get sick of the wet and foggy weather! It is wet and foggy every day Smile

Airbus A380

RE: Smart Guy!

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:29 am

Peace be upon you all,

I don't get what you are exactly talking about. What does EGGD means? Please make this clear to me, please.

Warm Regards
Ishak Ismail
Airbus A380

StarAlliance

Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:13 am

Sydneysider/Chris,
In Hong Kong, the average size of a house is about 48 m square with 3 to 4 people living in it. So, the houses are quite small indeed
But, if you want to buy a 150 m square house, the price would nomally soar up to $1,000,000 US (too much for most people and difficult to afford!!!!) in average for the suburb, and it is much HIGHER(around 30% more) in urban area.
Besides, how much would it cost you if you buy a 150m square house in your homecity??

StarAlliance

Jubilee777

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:42 pm

$400,000 to $800,000 Singapore dollars depending on private or public housing.

J777

Lindy

Sat Mar 17, 2001 1:30 pm

Kentucky
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

oxygen

RE: Smart Guy

Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:34 pm

He is meaning the opposite of what he had typed!