englandair

French Speakers- Help Me!

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:05 am

Hi,

I've got a French oral exam tomorrow, and I DESPERATELY need to know the French for 'I liked'.

Please help me as soon as possible!

Many thanks,
A desperate Jamie.

RE: French Speakers- Help Me!

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:12 am

J'ai aimé
Iain

CPDC10-30

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:16 am

Hehe...memorizing French verbs is a lot of fun  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

It should be j'ai aimé according to my knowledge, but maybe a native French speaker would be more helpful.

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:19 am

Considering my post was 2 minutes infront of yours, I think you are just copying me!  Big grin
Iain

EIPremier

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:23 am

Hopefully this won't get deleted  Sad
I'm no native speaker, so if I make a mistake, please correct me.

Yeah, the passé composé conjugation is as Iain said.

However, there are several past tenses in French.

For example, if it was something you liked over a period of time, you would use the imparfait form (j'aimais)

lewis

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:24 am

It is 'j’ai aimé'. What kind of orals do you have. Are they school orals or DELF orals for a diploma?

CPDC10-30

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:27 am

Or could it be passe simple?...argh....

Or my favourite type of verb. Passe futur proche  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cfalk

Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:40 am

I'm a native French Speaker (at least if you consider the French we speak in Switzerland as French  Wink/being sarcastic). "j’ai aimé" is correct. "J'aimais" can also work.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:43 am

I was right, not bad for not taking French in many years!
Iain

englandair

Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:13 pm

Merci!

I have my GCSE oral, which is the exam I've studied for 11 years at school for (so it's pretty big!).

I'm scared.....!  Sad

Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:37 pm

Ok, so no matter what kind of scary s*** we've done in our lives, I'm sure that those of us who did French GCSE or the US equivalent will agree, the oral is the scariest thing in the world.

I consider myself to be a pretty brave guy, but the few hours before my French GCSE oral exam, I was a wreck. And then being the muppet I am, I went on to do French at A level, and then at uni. It doesn't get any easier!!

Sorry mate, not really too encouraging, but good luck anyway, it'll be over after 20 minutes, and the feeling you get afterwards...phew!!!!

Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:30 pm

A good friend of mine is doing her GCSE's, and it seems she has studied more for this then all the studying I did in High School in the US.
Iain

LH423

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:33 am

hmmm...I can't wait to take my SAT II in French later this year. I figure seeing as French is consistently my best class, it beats out the other options.

Bonne chance, Englandair

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

englandair

Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:19 pm

Thanks again peoples!

I passed (hooooooorrrrrrrray).
She said I was very good!
They have to record my oral and send it off to an external examiner, so I don't know how well I did yet, but my teacher was impressed!

I'm so happy!!!!

Trvlr

Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:25 pm

Totally off the subject, but I would like to announce that I will be inducted into the French Honors society!!!lol. Anyways, to answer CPDC1030's remark, I think the passe simple is used mainly as a 'proper' way to say something in the past tense, and it is also common in stories.

LH423: I am also going to take the SAT II French exam this year. What French level are you in? Do you take the National French Exam (Grand Concours) each year?

Aaron G.

EIPremier

Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:54 am

Congrats on getting into the Honor Society!

My teacher won't nominate anyone unless they are an "active participant" of the school French Club. He seems to be suffering from a reality disconnect. He told students in my class, "If you want to take French 4AP next year, why wouldn't you want to do the French Club as well?" As if we're not going to have enough work as it is next year!

Our school takes the National French Exam (or something of a similar name) each year. Does an 80 question, hour long multiple-choice exam sound about right?

My teacher told us we should feel absolutely no pressure about taking the test. He said that he would give anyone who scored better than 70 an automatic A+ on the semester French final. Oh sure, no big deal, no pressure at all!  Insane

EGGD

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:08 am

Honour

EGGD

AC_A340

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:38 am

The passé simple is used mainly in works of literature and drama productions. I was just in France for 10 days and I didn't notice the passé simple in use at all. Mostly seemed to be the imparfait and rarely the passé composé for specific incidences in the past.

LH423

Trvlr

Fri Apr 06, 2001 6:10 am

Currently, I'm in French III, and I'm taking French IV next year. The reason I'm postponing my SAT II until next year, is because with PSATs, ACTs (coming up on Sat. morning), and SATs, and two huge papers, one due in a couple of weeks, the other due by 1 June, I have enough on my plate to worry about a French exam.

Also, my school does not participate in the exam. I guess something about the cost (something like $13-15 dollars) to take the test, just doesn't arouse much interest. In fact, I think I'm one of the few people that is taking a language because I feel it's an important asset. Most of the kids in my class are simply taking it to get the college requirement, and that's it. However, French IV is an honours class, so that's another reason to take it.

à bientôt,
LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry