Should Jesse Go To China?

Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:11 am

Jesse Jackson has offered to go to China to help negociate the release the American hostages (I guess they are now considered hostages). He has a pretty good track record of getting hostages released. Think he can pull it off again?

RE: Should Jesse Go To China?

Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:13 am

By the way, I knew that it was just a matter of time before he offered to help.

cfalk

Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:28 am

Hopefully, he will offer to trade himself for the hostages, the Chinese accept, and then the U.S. can ignore the whole issue and let Jesse enjoy Chinese food for a while.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jesse is probably just trying to find an excuse to get away from his wife for a while.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ryanb741

Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:30 am

I think the Chinese would think that the US is having a laugh at their expense!!!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Stretch 8

Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:59 am

The man is a charlatan of the worst kind. He would go simply to embarrass the Bush Administration, and the Chinese probably know this. Jackson should still be in family counseling for what he put his wife through.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:40 am

This morning, NBC spoke with the mother of one of the hostages. She was asked her opinion about Jesse going. She said she would support it only if he had Bush's approval, and if he would NOT offer an apology to the Chinese. She does not feel like the US owes China an apology, and that Jesse should honor that. Jesse feels we should apologize. If my child were over there, I would welcome any ones help! It's easy for us to critize Jesse's intentions, but we have to ask ourselves how we'd feel if we had a loved one trapped over there. Anyway, this should be interesting.

Wed Apr 11, 2001 3:29 am

I like Cfalks idea!!! LOL Go away Jesse !!!

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:16 am

I, too, think Cfalk is on to something..... haha.

iflycoach

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:32 am

The Chinese don't want him, they already have a population problem!

BO__einG

Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:39 am

hehe,
I didnt hear about that yet.
Its USA and CHINA on the line..
They're poweful and they are indeed,
But This should how go on for too long.
The transit strike in Calgary lasted 46 days now.
NO BUS OR TRAIN!!!!!

NooooooO!.. Cease trips to airport.
I think this should be only a matter of day for china to finish up some issues.
Im sure thigns will turn out well.
Too bad the pilot who bumped is gone.

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

RealHigh

Wed Apr 11, 2001 9:43 am

Jessie Jackson has been very succesful negotiating the release of hostages in the past. I thing he should do it. I think the mother of the hostage that was on TV this morning had a gun to her head to say that. To hell with what Bush wants anyway!
He couldn't find China on a map.
The media would rather focus on Jackson's weakness in his personal life.

cfalk

Wed Apr 11, 2001 2:38 pm

Realhigh,

And in virtually every case, Jesse helped the other side make the U.S. look like the villain in the whole business. He's self-serving scum, and should be treated as such.

Charles

L-188

Wed Apr 11, 2001 8:33 pm

Did you read the transcript of the CNN interview he gave about this.

Basicly he was going to give the Chi-coms the appology that they don't deserve.

Credits to GW for standing up to them.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NKP S2

Wed Apr 11, 2001 10:02 pm

Yeah...On a one-way ticket. G-- D---ed opportunist loudmouth.

Thu Apr 12, 2001 12:09 am

Yeah, I agree with you RealHigh.

And to comment on Jesse making the US look like villians, we ALWAYS look like the villians to the rest of the world, no matter what we do. This is nothing new, and it certainly didn't start with Jesse! He is not the sole cause of that! At least the man did offer to help, although it's no longer needed being that the crew is coming home from what I heard this morning (thank God). And Jesse certainly isn't the only "opportunist loudmouth" out there. There's plenty of them!

cicadajet

Thu Apr 12, 2001 1:28 pm

real shame about Jesse. He's a very smart man and at times had intelligent or insightful points to make. Also a rather gifted communicator. He also had the high ground from the get-go-- from his days at Martin Luther King Jr's side. Unfortunately, in the end, he has squandered that advantage; no doubt rationalizing dubious political tradeoffs and personal interests. Too often he has been a particularly self serving opportunist. Is he the only one? No. But, it doesn't make him any more an innocent victim to suffer the slings and arrows of a fickle media now. Welcome to the crowd. The media is having a feeding frenzy on the man now, but in some respects gave him a free pass on his corporate shakedowns in the past. There is little question his talent in winning release of hostages is helped by the obvious fact it will- for better or worse- embarrass the US govt. Not much more to it than that. Still, its never too late for a man of his talent and intellect to make positive contributions to America (by his own lights of course) even despite the
scandal(s)...but his time as America's unofficial defacto "black leader" is most likely over. there'll most likely be a changing of the guard. Jesse's been an "activist" forever. everyones got a "term limit" of some kind. There's alot of things Jesse could still do- from public office/service to print or TV journalism (where he wasn't half bad as far as these things go). He oughtta move on and go for it.

cfalk

Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:34 pm

The first black U.S. president will be a conservative.

Charles

Fri Apr 13, 2001 12:31 am

If he goes, then he should not have any representative status of the US government.

As a US citizen, he has the right to go anywhere, and say anything.

He just does not have the right to represent me. I DID NOT ELECT JESSE.

D L X

Fri Apr 13, 2001 12:41 am

Well, i guess I shouldn't have expected an intellectual conversation here. (Sigh.)

Fact is, he brings people home. Now, the situations that he has worked with before were cases where our guys were being harmed by their captors. When our men and women are being harmed, who gives flying flip about apologies? If you can't see that, then you are one selfish bastard for sure.

However, this isn't the case right now. The hostages were not being mistreated. And besides that, Bush must have known that the hostages were about to be freed. Changing the game when it is making progress is not ever the way to go. In the case of the Kosovo hostages, Milosevic was quite clear that he would not do business with Clinton's crew.

If China was being similarly ornery, then I would wholly support Jackson going, even though I don't care for the guy too much on other issues.

Superfly

Fri Apr 13, 2001 10:44 am

Climbout, good topic and thanks for bringing it up!  Smile
Cicadajet, D L X, & Realhigh exellent post!

It's good that our gov. apologized, as they should have.
If Jessie Jackson went, the media would have downplayed his role in freeing the hostages as they did in Kosovo.  Sad

PawBob
. I DID NOT ELECT JESSE.
Just like most American's did not vote for Bush!
Bring back the Concorde

Fri Apr 13, 2001 10:33 pm

I didn't vote for Bush either; but I accept the majority choice.(albeit, a very slim majority).

JetService

Sat Apr 14, 2001 2:32 am

I do think it would be to the best interest of the United States if Rev. Jackson went to China. But ONLY after the servicemen are returned and the crisis is over. Maybe his mistress saved up enough of the taxpayers' money to go with him.

Cfalk says:
"The first black U.S. president will be a conservative."

Cfalk, you are absolutely correct. Not only that, the first female president will be a Moderate-to-Conservative Republican.

"Shaddap you!"

Superfly

Cfalk

Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:07 pm

Cfalk, unfortunately your right.  Sad

The United States still has a long way to go!

I'd rather have a white liberal President instead a a$$kissing Uncle Tom republican black president.

We should have elected Barbara Jordan in 1972!
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Sun Apr 15, 2001 1:57 am

Superfly,

Now who is guilty of predjudice?

Why to all "true" blacks have to espouse to a large welfare state, punitive taxation for successful people, and liberal positions on morality (Gay rights, abortion, etc.) Are they not as free as anyone else to decide on their own what is right and wrong, the same as everyone else?

The first black (and as JetService said, woman) president will be a conservative simply because the voting population is mainly moderate, neither extreme is particularly welcome. A democratic black or woman will have the impression of being further left than other democrats due to to their percieved "disadvantages" of being black/female which liberals like to label them as having. To ensure a more middle-of-the-road presidency, voters will vote for a black or woman who's conservative political/economic convictions counter their perhaps "natural" liberal inclinations.

Barbara Jordan? I remember her. Had she been elected president, the U.S.A. would count itself among 3rd world countries today.

Charles

L-188

Sun Apr 15, 2001 7:29 pm

Actualy come to think about it.....

If it was Jesse Ventura......Now there would be a statement.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

D L X

Superfly

Mon Apr 16, 2001 3:15 am

Seriously, superfly, I'm a little dissapointed by your post also.

Truth is, the Democrats know that Blacks will vote for them because of the 'stigma' of being Republican. So, what happens when they get the Black vote without any effort? They don't put out any effort to retain the Black vote. The Democrats have not actually done much for Blacks recently. Neither party has.

Really, it's quite a sham that the Dems continue to get the black vote. The majority of Blacks in this country are morally conservative, and our beliefs are actually more often in line with Republicans. Think about it. We are more religious than the baseline. There is no remotely strong push amongst Blacks to foster gay rights, many are actually quite opposed to it (for religious reasons). The pro-choice thing is not really a thing at all, just the media listening to that hack Al Sharpton. (As a side note about this guy, I can hardly respect him. He's supposed to be a minister; a Man of God. Why the hell is he pushing abortion rights? It seems to me that the Bible is quite clear on that one. He really is a pawn of the Democratic leadership, and is hardly a 'Black Leader.' The media needs to pick a new one.)

Honestly, if I run for elected office (which I think is fairly likely) I would be quite tempted to run as a Republican. (A moderate one, of course.) At least they have shown recently that they would like to put a real effort into getting our vote.

JetService

Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:40 pm

Superfly, didn't you hear? Calling blacks 'Uncle Tom' has been deemed bigoted. I know it may pain you to hear this, but black-Americans are independent thinkers and do not not need to follow the path you laid out for them to survive and succeed. Please seek help before you hurt yourself. It's good that black-Americans start spreading their votes out to Republicans, because it will mean that the Democrats might actually have to do something for them other then flashy-but-empty speeches and Clinton-photo-ops-with-black-kids.
"Shaddap you!"

Superfly

Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:59 am

Well I guess it's my turn in the 'hot seat'.

The republicans have made an effort to get black votes. However, they have done nothing to earn black votes.
JetService & D L X, you want to talk about symbolism, did you see the Republican Convention last summer? It was the most disgusting and embarrassing 'Black Exploitation' show I have ever seen!
They were so happy to show black folks at there convention singing, dancing and clapping there hands to show America how tolarant they were.
I thaught the movie 'Car Wash was offensive.

They totally ignored the fact that they were nominating a man who spoke at Bob James University and belonged to a 'whites only' country club. The republican party rewards Senators like Jessie Helms and Strom Thurmond with powerful post in the Senate. The republican party still catters to the interest of the KKK in the deep south. Look at Bob Barr and Trent Lott who gave speaches and took donations from the Conservate Citizens Council the former the White Citizens council.

The Democratic party still prioritize issues that are important to many blacks. Members of the Democratic party are speaking out and passing laws on racial profiling, educational opportunity programs, heath care red-lining, bank lending processes and fair housing laws. The republican party has stood in the way of all of these issues.

And the republican party has the nerve to hire black performers for there convention?
Jesus Christ!

I am sorry if I dissapointed some people in this forum.
That's not why I come to Airliners.net!
It was not intended to be offensive in anyway.
Just speaking the truth.

Just something to think about. If our choises for President were Bill Clinton and Alan Keyes, who do you think most blacks would vote for?
 Smile
Bring back the Concorde

D L X

Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:27 am

Yes, the Republican party contains some repugnant individuals. So does the Democratic party. (Did you know that Robert Byrd was a Klan recruiter at one point?)

That does not set the rule to judge the entire party.

You were offensive because you have just called Colin Powell, for instance, an Uncle Tom. Playing right into the victimship that the Democrats are trying to preserve, you seem to try to lump anyone with conservative thought into being as asskisser of white people. I sincerely hope you don't believe that, because if you do, you're doomed to be a victim for the rest of your existance. (I choose not to be a victim.)

And, I'm from the south. The Republicans do not cater to the KKK. That's a pretty ridiculous notion.

BTW, here's a question for you. Is God a Republican or a Democrat? (The answer is neither.)

Superfly

D L X

Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:50 am

I am well aware of the fact that there are repugnant individuals in the Democratic party as well.
When Ernest Hollings was Gov. of South Carolina, he has responsible for having the Confederate Flag flown above the State House.
I know that there are black conservatives that aren't a$$kissers. Louis Farakkan is a perfect example of that.
The only problem I have with Powell was that he was a cheerleader for Bush. I totally understand why he did it to. Bush was going to reward him with a very powerful post in his administration.

I am not a victum of any party or thaught pattern that maybe advocated by the Democrats.

My comment on the republicans support from the KKK is true and is not ridiculous. Pay closer attention to who funnels campaign dollars to some conservative southern Senators.

BTW, What was the point of God being a Dem or Rep. question come from?
Bring back the Concorde

D L X

Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:18 am

"The republican party still catters[sic] to the interest of the KKK in the deep south."

These are your words. These words formulate an untruth. Simple as that. Again, I will say that there are some repugnant people in the Republican party. However, the party itself is not repugnant. You simply can't use the example of a few to delineate the entire party. If you do, you are WELCOMING the opposite side to do the exact same to the Democrats, who also have some repugnant individuals in the party. Where is your proof that the Republicans "cater" to the KKK? Again, I would point out that I'm from the south. I think this is something I would know.

And you're allowed to have whatever opinion you want about people. But, I'd pay money to see what happens to the person that calls Colin Powell an asskisser to his face.

(The point about God picking a side is that both parties stink. Both parties do things that are against the bible. Yet, the Bible-thumpers vote Republican in droves. Imo, they suffer the same myopia as the Blacks who blindly vote Democrat without demanding the accountability in the party that we deserve.)

Superfly

D L X

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:21 am

I am well aware of the few jerks in the Democratic Party. The Republican Party however has allowed extremist groups to have more say and control.

Go to this web site and scroll down on the article on Republican Party leaders ties to white supremacy groups.

http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff/AFIB/afib-s199.html

Trent Lott may just be an individual in the party but he is also there majority leader. Bob Barr, Jessie Helms, Strom Thurmond are all powerful members of Congress.

David Duke won the Louisiana Republican party gubernatorial(sp) nomination. Is that a coincidence?
He represents what the Republican Party believes. If he had not belonged to the KKK, he may have won the general election. I am aware that Duke was once a Democrat but he gained more support once he joined the Republican Party.

As for Colin Powell, I have nothing against him personally. He is doing exactly what his bosses are asking him to do.
Colin Powell will never be President of the United States.
I'll say it again!
Why do I say this?
The Republican Party leaders will not trust him in that position. Pat Robertson, Haley Barbour and other GOP activist will not stand for it. Powell is pro-choice, supports Affirmative Action and Gun control. He is a moderate to liberal republican.

The reasons my comments were so strong was because President select Bush chose Colin Powell and Condolezza Rice for symbolism only!
Colin Powell's focus is in the Israel/Palestine fight.
Condolezza Rice's focus is Russia.
None of which are concerns to most Black Americans.
John Ashcroft on the other hand is and I don't what to start that fight over again!

When the Democrats controlled congress there were a few Black American Congress members who were committee Chairs. Ron Dellums, John Conyers, Charles Rangel for example. They have large support from black voters. There focus was on issues that are significant to many Black Americans.
Keep in mind; the US Government is not the place to expect the most positive results for the Black Community.

Sorry for the long post.
I hope I've clarified any misunderstandings.

Bring back the Concorde

ctbarnes

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:47 am

I'll say it again!

More's the pity.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Superfly

Ctbarnes

Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:50 am

What do you mean?
Bring back the Concorde

ctbarnes

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:12 am

Superfly:

I have a lot of respect for Colin Powell. He is someone who I think has integrity and sincerity, and most of all does not fit the mold of the stereotypical Republican. He was the one Republican who repeatedly topped the polls in the run-up to the 96 election, yet he consistantly refused to run.

However, as you correctly point out, the far right of the party tries as hard as possible to dictate the agenda, and Powell fails their ideological litmus test, so they would not stand for his nomination.

I'm not so sure Powell (and Condolizza Rice for that matter) were chosen soley for appearance purposes though. Powell was probably the best qualified person to fill the State Department post, and Rice is a seasoned White House insider with a proven track record. I think it important to point out that there are some things which trancend the politics of race, and to be in a senior government post, one has to look at the big picture and see further than the interests of one group over another.

I don't agree on everything Powell espouses, however I think he would make a fine president if he ever decides to run.

Hope that answers your question.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Superfly

Ctbarnes

Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:17 am

I have no doubt about Colin Powell’s competence.
I think he would be a great President too!.
Unfortunately, the powers that be in his own party would not stand for it.
He would have a better chance if he ran as a Democrat.
I know that will never happen!
Bring back the Concorde

D L X

Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:40 pm

YOu have no doubt about Powell's competence, yet you say Bush picked him because of symbolism only? Huh?

(Of course a better thing to say to slam Bush was that he just reused his Daddy's administration because he couldn't figure out his own.)

Look. There is no widespread anti-Black movement amongst the National Republican party. Simple as that. I have no love for Trent Lott, and I don't think he's nearly as popular as he had been made up to be in the past. (I'd also say that he did some of the provocative things he did in order to gain media market share, and woo a few of the true wackoes that live in his constituency.)

But what the hell does any of this have to do with the price of a spy plane in China?