ryanb741

Are The British Evil?

Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:43 pm

I have often wondered why in many films the British are either portrayed as the bad guys, or play the roles of the baddies themselves. For example, the baddies in films such as Die Hard, Leon, Hannibal/Silence of the Lambs, Braveheart etc are either British or played by British actors. Is it the accent, is it the fact that the Brits enjoy being evil? What are your thoughts?
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

L-188

RE: Are The British Evil?

Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:47 pm

I dunno but I really wanted to go out and "joing the revolution" after watching the Patriot.

That being said there have been many movies where the Brits have been the heros. The Great Escape, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Battle of Britain and the movie I just got ZULU, for example.

Not Gen Montgomery needs to be protrayed as anything but the moron that he was.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Ikarus

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:07 pm

It's Hollywood's hobby to have the bad guys either European or Arab or Russian or Chinese.

Bad Boys - French
Terminator - German
The Ptriot - British
Lethal Weapon 4 - Chinese
"""""" 2 - South Africans
Deep Blue Sea - British
Mission Impossible 2 - British

Hollywood just casts us as Bad Guys, cause we aren't Americans....

Regards

Ikarus

PS: This topic deserves 0 stars.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:09 pm

The Evil: (In my rank order)

William Hague
Ann Widdecombe
Nick Brown
Vinnie Jones
Terry Wogan
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Thu Apr 19, 2001 8:24 pm

.....Anthea Turner
Dale Winton
Phil Reeves (newspaper columnist)
Spice Bloody Girls
Robin Cook
All Football Yobs

All actors or presenters in the following programmes: DIY/Gardening/Soaps/Docu-Soaps/Game-shows/

They're all evil...

Respect:

Jeremy Paxman
Lord Brittan
Patrick Stewart (aka Capt.Picard  Smile/happy/getting dizzy )
Jasper Carrot (comedian)

Evil imports from the US:

Jerry Bloody Springer (booooring.....)
Any Buffy/Beverly Hills 768433 or whatever it's called/America's "funniest" videos/WWF/Friends/general crap spewed from their side.

Respected US imports

"60 Minutes"
Frasier (only because Frasier reminds me of my Dad)
Discovery Channel
History Channel

I might think of some more...

Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:14 pm

Beyond the roles actually assigned to the British is the fact that non-British villians often have English accents. For example, in every movie in which the Romans are the bad guys, for some reason the Romans always have British accents (e.g., The Robe, Sparticus, Ben Hur, Gladiator). In addition, numerous evil space aliens for some reason speak the King's English (e.g., the Emperor in Star Wars).

I don't happen to know what a Roman, or a space alien, actually sounds like, but I am pretty sure that they did/do not have English accents.

lima

Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:54 pm

I would not put all the British, but but some English are indeed a bit evil. If not take a look on their complex idyosincracy. For example, sometimes they like to ridiculize people with ironic humour and even enjoy doing that.

eg777er

Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:58 pm

It's coz we're all

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, if you look at the average villain (in a decent movie) they are intelligent and sophisticated - like Hannibal Lector.

Apparently, Americans think that any proper British (Home counties, not estuary English) accent is far more sophisticated than their own accents so naturally we get more parts...

JetService

Thu Apr 19, 2001 11:40 pm

International criminals give the crime a feel of a very complicated caper that was planned and perhaps rehearsed by some demented mastermind. It probably makes the plot of the movie more attractive, because it puts the police in an 'underdog' situation, and Americans love rooting for the underdog.
"Shaddap you!"

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:55 am

we ARE evil muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

There.

(I think Anne Robinson is really the devil in desguise)

EGGD

Ikarus

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:33 am

"For example, sometimes they like to ridiculize people with ironic humour and even enjoy doing that. "

What's wrong with that? I'm no good at it anymore, but I used to be, and I LOVED it....

Regards

Ikarus

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:41 am

hehe, i love doing that, i also like pointing out other peoples mistakes  Smile

EGGD

G Dubya

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:49 am

Soccer...err football HOOLIGANS!
 Big grin

..just love saying--HOOLIGANS, HOOLIGANS, HOOLIGANS,
HOOLIGANS, HOOLIGANS, HOOLIGANS, HOOLIGANS,
and HOOLIGANS!

silly, isn't it!

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:52 am

What the hell are you on about George!

Get back in that Closet!

Western727

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:01 am

Well, I was going to mention something about the British Leaders in the 1770's, but I'll refrain.
Jack @ AUS

DE727UPS

Fri Apr 20, 2001 3:06 am

My favorite movie...Monty Python's in search of the Holy Grail....is British. It's not evil....except for the white bunny. "That's no ordinary rabbit".....

Western727

Fri Apr 20, 2001 3:11 am

I love Monty Python. "It's not the real grail?" and "Camelot! Camelot! Camelot!..... It's only a model." Now that is what I would call funny.
Jack @ AUS

Fri Apr 20, 2001 3:27 am

No, they're not evil. Just no fun sometimes.

MEGAPTERA

Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:11 am

At the risk of causing offence, I would say that the reason that Brits are often cast as villains is because they are actors rather than film stars. There is a big difference.

Transactoid

Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:12 am

They have cool accents, that's why  Smokin cool

L-188

Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:58 am

The rabbit bit from the Holy Grail is pretty good. But I think John Cleese's bit teaching sex-ed to those boarding school boys in The Meaning of Life was just...just...wrong...

Very Very funny but wrong
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

An-225

Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:03 am

How about Russians always being portrayed as bad guys. I will never forget a movie where Russian Army is marching in the desert in winter uniforms.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

englandair

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:02 am

No- we're just harder than Yanks!!!

Acting devilish  Acting devilish  Acting devilish

Scotty

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:10 am

Oi

What you mean we're "no fun" sometimes. We are ALL fun so nae messin or we will all come over there and mess up your towns

We luv fun. We have loads of all the time. We have an election coming up and that will be fun. Aye right so it will. We can have fun ANYWHERE - the dentists for example. So much fun we give OURSELVES the drills

OK?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:29 am

Englandair,

Ah, thank you for that most beautiful flag.

I think we shall make you British Ambassador to the USA.

You will be replacing His Exellency Sir Christopher Meyer (pictured below):

It's about time

God Save the Queen!!.........etc. etc. etc.... Big grin

For those of you interested in the UK's little patch in the USA, check out the link below.

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/embassy/embassy.asp

CP

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:33 am

Englandair,

This is your new home in Washington, I'm sure you will find the local neighbourhood most agreable:

CP,
British Ambassador to Argentina Big grin

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:56 am

The Patriot was named. Yes, The Patriot portrays the Brits as the evil villans. Why? Simply because they were.  Big grin

Very good movie, by the way. It wasn't liberal-infested like much of the crap that comes out of Hollywood (ie The Mexican, Erin Brockivich).

Samurai 777

Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:01 am

The movie Patriot is supposed to be pretty good movie, but my mom (who is English, BTW) told me that while the American critics gave the movie two thumbs up, critics in the UK were chewing up the movie and spitting it out!

Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:13 am

Hi Samurai,

That's because *apparently* (stressed because I haven't seen the film), and according to the Brits over here, there are some "historical inaccuracies" in the plot.

This apparently revolves around the fact that the film implied the Yanks (or pro-Independent guys) kicked butt (pardon the expression) against the Brits by themselves.

Not true. Apparently, the French (with whom we had a mutual feeling of hatred-perhaps still do Big grin ) got involved, just to irritate us, (and because we were fighting against them up North--->we wanted all of Canada for ourselves) and of course, with the combined force, it was inevitable we would have been overwhelmed.

Don't quote me on this please, my knowledge of American history is not extensive!!!

You can expect the Brits to be pretty emotional when it comes to these sort of issues---->personally, I think it's a bit silly, but there you go, everyone's different.

Rgds,
CP

lindy field

Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:36 am

Imagine the alternative: Evil Norwegians!
Evil Jamaicans! Evil Canadians!

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:41 am

The Patriot is a good film! I wanna go and kill some brits now...

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:53 am

perhaps it's because of these two great actors...

Christopher Lee

Peter Cushing

Samurai 777

Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:55 pm

Picard, I'd agree with your POV pretty much so. No, I haven't even seen the movie, either!

Patriot was a US-made movie, so it's not surprising as to why they say it portrays the British as such.

An-225

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:11 pm

Patriot was another America rules type of movie. Plain and simple.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

CPDC10-30

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:22 pm

My father seems to think so...he spent the first 20 years of his life there. The thing he confesses that motivated him to immigrate first to the US and later to Canada was the "I'm backing Britain" campaign of the late 1960s.

Anytime he goes back to visit he is constantly annoyed with people's manners...espescially two bugaboos: cell phones and smoking. The British tend to natter on incessantly on their "mobiles" to no end...usually completely inane conversation such as this one heard on the London Eye:

"Hello dear! Can you guess where I am right now? No...! No...! No...! No...! I am presently at the highest point in Britain!"...

I was also annoyed very much by a middle aged British lady seated behind my boyfriend and I while (or whilst as the Brits like to say  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) travelling on the Thalys train between Amsterdam and Paris. Whenever she wasn't talking on the phone, she was playing with it..adjusting the ringers and so on.
I tolerated it for about half an hour but lost my nerve after that. I turned around and asked her what she was doing with her phone. She stared at me like I had lost my mind. I asked her politley "please could you limit the sound produced by your phone". She just glared back but at least she didn't play with it anymore.

Also the rather high number of smokers is quite annoying espescially on trains.

Otherwise, the Brits are OK...I also a British citizen but wouldn't ever assert that.

Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:51 pm

>Patriot was another America rules type of movie. Plain and simple

Wrong. It was a very patriotic movie (something you usually don't see in Hollywood) that portrayed the fight for independance as accurately as possible in a movie like that. What an ignorant comment, An-225.

>This apparently revolves around the fact that the film implied the Yanks (or pro-Independent guys) kicked butt (pardon the expression) against the Brits by themselves

Not really. It shows the Americans getting plowed over by the British troops and never really stops until the end when the French ships arrive to save the day.

We need more patriotic movies that accurately portray our past. Americans today simply do not appreciate the struggle for independance that makes this nation great.

Possibly even the greatest nation on God's green Earth? Absolutely.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bove

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:00 pm

N766AS, even by your admittedly low standards that last comment was absolutely ridiculous. Enough with the chest-thumping and blaring of trumpets already! The level of indoctrination in this country is bizarre and infuriating to me...IMHO what makes this country "great" is the ability to think independently, not follow some trite Hooloywood script as gospel.

"The Patriot" was not based on any actual historical event whatsoever. So I really fail to see why we need such drog to portray the past. And what about the irony of an Australian import (Mel Gibson) playing a red-blooded American hero? Big grin

All in good fun of course.

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:32 pm

HA! YOU KNOW WHY THE BRITISH ARE EVIL??????
It's because they have the best accent for the part!!! Hell, just listen to Sean Connery!!! Is that not a great bad-guy accent or what!!!!!?????  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Shaka!!

Aloha 737-200!!

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:49 pm

>not follow some trite Hooloywood script as gospel.

I don't follow any leftist Hollywood script as gospel. Quite the opposite. I did state, however, that the Patriot script was as close to non-fiction as you can get in a Hollywood film. Take it for what its worth...

>that last comment was absolutely ridiculous

Bove, nice to meet you. Apparently you don't know me well enough to realize what I was saying. I repeat that phrase quite a bit, echoing the words of a favorite talk show host in the States. Oh well. Welcome to the forums, by the way. Hopefully you'll have a good time here (beware- the time literally flies!)

Ikarus

Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:27 pm

So... an American group of terrorists robbing and slaughtering British travellers as much as they can makes you feel patriotic? Just because they call themselves "militia"?

BTW: The director of that movie, Roland Emmerich, is a German. Does that mean as German he is a proper patriotic American? I wonder myself why the Germans in Hollywood make the most "Americanized" movies (eg Airf Force One, The Patriot, Independence Day....) - maybe they know exactly how to make the kind of mindless patriotic slur that American audiences like?

I still remember reading a reader's letter to a magazine about this movie, arguing quite convincingly that the British bad guy actually outswashbuckles all the Americans, fighting with two guns and his shirt off etc. etc.

Regards

Ikarus

englandair

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:25 pm

LOL Capt. Picard!

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:30 pm

Well, if you think about it. I think British actors' accents are more likely to be taken seriously (no offense to Americans), it has that weird I demand you, i am in control sound to it and that is why they make such good bad guys  Smile

EGGD

Jaspike

Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:26 pm

I'm British. I'm not evil! Anne Robinson is....Goodbye!

englandair

Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:36 pm

WRONG!!
It's  Acting devilish  Acting devilish g'bye  Acting devilish  Acting devilish !!!!!!!