essjay

Best Area To Live In London?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:48 am

Hi!

I will be living and working in London as from mid-May, but I have no clue where to stay.

I would like to stay in an area that has easy access to the tube, is safe, and not too expensive!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Where in London do you stay and what are the pros and cons of your area? Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Big thumbs up

steman

RE: Best Area To Live In London?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:15 am

Let's begin to say that you have to forget the expression "not expensive" in London.
I live in Rome but I went to London last year in June for some weeks and I lodged in a hotel next to Charing Cross Road and Oxford Street, I think that is one of the best place where to live in London, as you are close to the city centre and the tube and it is a very safe area.

Ciao and enjoy that wonderful town

Stefano

Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:34 am

England is a pretty expensive country! I would stay at The Dolphin Square Hotel, it was actually quite a reasonable price, it was right next the Houses of Parliment, London Eye, and Pimleco underground station!
Iain

Ikarus

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:04 am

Well, South Kensington is definitely a nice area - but horribly horribly overpriced. I don't know much else in London, apart from Notting Hill (also nice area, and also expensive), but I may have to look for a more affordable accomodation soon myself...

A good website to look at is www.moveflat.com - brilliant ads changing very frequently looking for flatmates. If I have to move out of my flat, that's where I'll be looking for my next one....

Regards

Ikarus

PS: Steman is right. Forget about the "not expensive" idea...

Blackened

Southwest Of Hatton Cross Tube Station

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:25 am

The area I mean is about 500 m southwest of that station and about 200 m from the center of the 27L approach path. Anyone who has been there, that's many people, know what I'm talking about. There's a nice photo in the db taken by Gary Watt I think. It's a 744 approaching over some houses there.
Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back

aerosol

Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:43 am

I lived in Maida Vale, which is an Area near Paddington, where the Heathrow Express arrives. It is a nice but expensive area, but I did flatshare with some guys and girls I studied with. If you need a shortterm flat and not too expensive I would recommend to do flatsharing too, because it is the cheapest way to live in London.

EGGD

Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:51 am

Islington  Big thumbs up

tim

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:29 am

I also stayed in An Appartment in South Kensington in 99. Very close to Tube etc.

Tim

ryanb741

Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:04 pm

I live in Chiswick in West London, and it's a really nice, green area. Figure on about $500 a week for a two-bed apartment. If you want it a little Cheaper, try Ealing - still really nice and green with great shopping facilities, and it has got great tube and train links (you can get a train to Paddington in about 10 minutes).

At the end of the day, unless you are used to living in Manhattan or Tokyo, you will find London expensive. Just avoid East London and South-East London as they are hell-holes (remember the film Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels? - that's East London.....)
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:50 am

I live in Orpington, South East London, it is easily accecable for the tube, very safe, a normal house is about £170,000 but my house is £250,000  Big thumbs up

EGKK

Ikarus

Sat Apr 21, 2001 6:03 am

Blackened, your post confused me a bit. Are you referring to the King's Road area (this road is DIRECTLY underneath the 27R approach path - very good views of airplanes! But hellishly expensive)?

North of the river, or South of the river? Kensington, CHelsea, Fulham. Battersea, Clapham, Wandsworth,....?

I really can't identify which area you mean... but then again I have very little knowledge of the rest of London (apart from the small area surrounding my flat and the college), and I have always had a crappy sense of orientation....

Regards

Ikarus

PS: What happened to the UK Bash someone proposed a few months ago? In this thread alone we have enough Londoners to meet up happily at LHR sometime - preferably early July, after my exams...

EGGD

Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:18 am

I can come down from Bristol if you want!

EGGD

EGGD

Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:20 am

across rather

ryanb741

Sat Apr 21, 2001 10:51 pm

I correct myself. SOME areas of South-East London are Hell-Holes, but as Ben pointed out, some areas like Orpington are nice. Also, Crystal Palace is an 'up-and-coming-area'.

DO avoid East London though.....
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

SQA340

Sun Apr 22, 2001 10:16 am

Hmmmm......

Me being American the nicest area I saw was Greenwich but it is soooooo expensive almost 1 million pounds for a home(highest). Honslow looked nice to me except the view of the picadilly line might throw you off but you are near the M4 motorway. South london is good too, how about Lewisham. The DLR trains are nice there, they give panoramic views and are very high tech.

G Dubya

Sun Apr 22, 2001 10:25 am

Buckingham Palace

Sun Apr 22, 2001 11:20 am

10 Downing Street

Big grin

tsully

Knightsbridge

Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:27 pm

If you have £500 to spare per night:

Go for Knightsbridge!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental!

-tsully
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

qantas744

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:43 pm

I don't yet live in London,but will be soon.I already work in Twickenham and having spent most of the last month looking for property in the Hounslow/Feltham/Ashford area.In general,prices for a decent flat in that area are around £500-£600 a month.Other areas of London are priced differently,the nearer you are to central London the more expensive it becomes.
On the subject of a get together in July for A.net users in London,I'm certainly up for it!! I'll need to book a day off though so I'll need to know a month or so in advance.My e-mail address is on my profile I think.
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

EGGD

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:50 pm

I don't Greenwich is quite that expensive, but it is a nice place  Smile.

EGGD

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:51 pm

Ryan, do you live near Orpington, Crystal Palace='tis ok, I have been there a few times on the 358 bus, a bit dirty, but it is up-and-coming as you said, but a crap footy team  Big thumbs up

EGKK

ryanb741

Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:02 pm

No, I actually live in Chiswick in West London, but I was just pointing out that not all of South East London is bad.

ryanb741

Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:15 pm

Also, I'm not one to talk about crap footy teams as I support Southampton! (Yes, I am their sole fan) Smile/happy/getting dizzy

WorldVoyager

Mon Apr 23, 2001 11:05 am

Not all of South London is bad.

My aunt lives in Streatham in South London and it's a nice place.

CPDC10-30

Mon Apr 23, 2001 11:36 am

Can anyone here actually afford to live in London? When I looked at the rents there last year, the prices were about 250 pounds per week for a one-bedroom apartment!

qantas744

Mon Apr 23, 2001 12:16 pm

To Ryanb741....
If there was a disrespected user list I would add you immediately!!(only kidding) PLAY UP POMPEY!!!!!-or should that be STAY UP POMPEY!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Tuesday May 3rd,Palace v Pompey at Fratton Park,looks like the loser of that game goes down...I hope it's not us... Smile/happy/getting dizzy
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

Ikarus

Mon Apr 23, 2001 5:52 pm

CPDC10-30:
No. I can't. However, I can just about pay the rent for my small room in a 2-bedroom flat with the living room converted into a third bedroom. Towards the end of the month my bank account usually looks threateningly low.....

However, I have seen an ad a few days a go for a one-bedroom flat with own sitting room, kitchen and bathroom in Camden Town for 110 pounds per week, including water electricity and gas bills. That is spectacularly low - too bad I cannot afford paying that money + transport + launderette (It has no washing machine)....

Regards

Ikarus

ryanb741

Wed Apr 25, 2001 5:08 am

Qantas 744, actually, I am the rare phenomenon of a Saints fan who supports Portsmouth as well (as well as AFC Bournemouth). The reason is that before going to University in London and subsequently starting work there, I lived in Poole, Dorset, which is part of the Radio Solent catchment area. As a result, coverage was provided of Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Saints games. Hence I became a supporter of all three!

Hope Pompey stay up - I reckon they will just do it but they need another win quickly.

BTW Ikarus, as a student at King's College London I paid £35 a week to live in halls of Residence in Kensington (just off High street Kensington). I now pay £370 a week for a two bedroom flat in Chiswick. London is such a rip-off!

qantas744

Wed Apr 25, 2001 6:41 am

London is like any other place on earth really,if you want to live in a posh part of town-or even just a nice part of town-you end up paying more.
I work in Twickenham but couldn't afford to live there-it's a nice part of London with plenty of riverside walks etc,Hounslow is only 2 miles away but is cheaper possibly because it is right under the flight path for landings on 27L at LHR.But i have to add that even the cheaper parts of London are pretty expensive compared to some areas of the UK.

Scotty

Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:53 am

When I worked there I lived in Windsor - about 45 mins from Waterloo by train and 12 mins on the IC125 to Paddington if you drive to Slough.

Also, right under the easterly approaches into LHR and easy to drive there for spotting/photography trips. Nice riverside walks and some good pubs in the town.

London never sleeps. Crazy.

Enjoy

ryanb741

Fri Apr 27, 2001 10:51 pm

A recent article has confirmed that London is the World's most expensive city to live in (not that we didn't already know that). We even get JAPANESE people complaining how expensive it is! And what do we get for our money? Tube strikes and anarchists..... Angry

Ikarus

Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:44 pm

Ryanb741:
35 pounds per week? Wow. We had to pay twice as much last year...

On the other hand, our two-bedroom flat here in S. Kensington (with the living room converted into a third bedroom) costs less than what you pay in Chiswick, so I guess I got lucky....

Regards

Ikarus

Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:32 am

Ryan, I am a spurs supporter, and I was at the match where we beat you 7-2!!!!!!!!!!!  Big thumbs up

EGKK

ryanb741

Sat Apr 28, 2001 6:11 pm

Boo to you EGKK! Smile

FBU 4EVER!

Sat Apr 28, 2001 7:29 pm

Transportation in London has become quite expensive over the last couple of years,so depending on where your job is located,these costs will also have to be taken into consideration,as well.
If you're prepared to drop the tube and settle for bus and/or trains,Bexley/Bexleyheath/Sidcup may be a reasonable alternative for SE London.For South London you'll have to get further out than Kennington/Clapham before prices can be called "somewhat less expensive".
Staying in hotels,you'll find there is a shortage of hotels in London and what is affordable will most likely be of a crappy standard.
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!