portcolumbus

Cost Of Execution

Sun Apr 29, 2001 12:50 pm

How much does it cost to operate the electric chair? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make them stick a metal fork into an electrical outlet?

DG_pilot

RE: Cost Of Execution

Sun Apr 29, 2001 3:09 pm

Two minutes of time and a 50 cent bullet would be cheap too.

portcolumbus

Sun Apr 29, 2001 9:40 pm

good point

Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:07 am

In Texas a death penalty case costs taxpayers an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million. In financially strapped California, one report estimated that the state could save $90 million each year by abolishing capital punishment. The New York Department of Correctional Services estimated that implementing the death penalty would cost the state about $118 million annually.

source: The Death Penalty Information Center, "Millions Misspent: What Politicians Don't Say About the High Costs of the Death Penalty," October, 1992

DG_pilot

Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:20 am

The government is not volunteerly spending this money (if IF those figures are correct), the prisoners are costing them this much due to the many unneccessary hearings and other legal procedures as a result of the numerous loopholes and other niches that allow for senseless legal manuevering.

The prisoners and their lawyers know that the longer they clog the system and the longer they put things off, the better the chance they have of winning. That's why it is costing what it costs.

If these holes would be plugged and the redundant procedures were eliminated like they should be, it would cost extremely little.

Don't like that argument? Here's another one. I would STILL rather pay for the "supposedly" higher cost of permanantly relieving society of their destructive selves then have them in there sitting or out on the streets again.

guerosinfe

Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:29 am

I once heard that the U.S. spend more an year with prisions and stuff costs than with education.
I think that any country must spend more with education that is the real future of the country than with any punishment for people that are a dirty part of the present and the past.
This in my opinion show that they are more interested in prisioners than in the kids of the future.

GüeroSinFé

DG_pilot

Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:39 am

"This in my opinion show that they are more interested in prisioners than in the kids of the future."

Well, what you just said shows me you are more interested in money then anything else.

The placement of money does not always mirror the placement of concern.

I think less should be spent either places. Actually, I would like $O.OO spend on the U.S. Department of Education. It is not outlined in the Constitution and the powers it has came to absorb SPECIFICALLY belong to the States only.

Tue May 01, 2001 2:46 pm

If prisoners were actually killed when put on death row instead of locked up for 15 years beforehand, it wouldn't cost as much.

Wed May 02, 2001 7:29 am

>I think that any country must spend more with education that is the real future of the country than with any punishment for people that are a dirty part of the present and the past.

I should hope the US government spends more on federal prisons than on education, because the federal government has no place in education.

I agree with Dustin... a bullet would be much cheaper. And a more effective system of execution. The injection is just too calm.