teahan

Mc Donalds & Vegetarianism

Sat May 05, 2001 9:10 am

Hey,

Some of you may know through previous posts that I am a rather serious vegetarian, no meat, not fish, no egs etc.... In the past (probably until 2 years ago), I used to enjoy my Mc Vegetarian Meal at Mc Donalds (there aren't many in rural Ireland Big grin), that was all until I heard about rumours that the French Fries contained a beef extract. As many of you may have heard, this has now turned out to be true.

It never ceases to surprise me how a company can sell and advertise a vegetarian meal when there is a meat extract in it? In all fairness, how can a vegetarian consumer make and informed decision on what to eat and not what to eat with companies such as these.

Here are some further examples:

--The Vitamin D in Vitamin D fortified milk commercial synthesized from slaughtered animals.

-- The vegetarian fajitas Taco Bell once served contained chicken and clam extract.

-- Taco Bell's 7-layer vegetable burrito, which is served with guacamole laced with sour cream, contained gelatin, a jelly-like extract made by boiling the skin, hooves, horns or bones of animals.

How can restaurants advertise food as being vegetarian /use Veggie and vegetarian in the meal's name and still have animal products in them? It just goes beyond me......

What is your view on this?

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Mc Donalds & Vegetarianism

Sat May 05, 2001 9:12 am

Don't eat at McDonald's  Smile I try not to as much as possible.

Superfly

Sat May 05, 2001 9:18 am

Vegitarianism and Mc Donalds are both bad!

I think it's bad how cattle is maintained at the large corporate slaughter compounds. I buy free range cattle beef when I cook. It taste great!  Big thumbs up
You should give it a try!
Don't deprive yourself of a nice juicy steak!

As for fast food, stay away from it!
Bring back the Concorde

OH-LGA

Sat May 05, 2001 9:29 am

I have a friend who's a vegetarian... of course that's relatively normal living in Weirdsville (Sonoma) County, California  Smile He eats stuff like Tofurkey (Tofu + Turkey, cute isn't it? Big grin), and stuff like that.

In the United States, there are guidelines as to what can be called vegetarian, but I don't know where they draw the line. As for keeping yourself informed, all restaurants are required to have a list of ingredients of what's in their food (especially chains like McD's, etc.). You just have to go up and ask for it.

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

teahan

Sat May 05, 2001 9:30 am

Hey Superfly,

Ever tought of sticking to the topic? I have been a vegetarian for a good few years and definitely feel that I haven't missed anything!

I don't see the point in turning this into a vegetarian vs non vegetarian fight. At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal opinion!

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

VirginLover

Sat May 05, 2001 9:50 am

Teahan, rest assured... they USED to cook it in animal extract, but they now switched to vegetable oil and natrual flavorings. I found this info in "Fast Food Nation" if that helps. So eat your fries with a clear mind (but the arteries are a different story  Smile )

ctbarnes

Sat May 05, 2001 9:55 am

Ethical problems about what McDonalds was doing to one side, there is the additional problem that people who have been vegitarians for some time become unable to digest animal protein. It makes them ill-not seriously though, just a bad stomach ache. Still, you'd think they would be a bit more responsible about the food they serve...

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

teahan

Sat May 05, 2001 9:58 am

Hey,

OH-LGA, the problem is that companies only have to mention "natural flavourings". A natural flavouring could be a natural beef extract.

VirginLover, yes but one of the natural flavours is a beed extract. The natural flavour is actually in the oil used to cook the fries.

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Superfly

Teahan

Sat May 05, 2001 10:06 am

Teahan, this was in now way to be a fight.
I am sorry if I offended you in anyway. I live in a city full of vegetarians. I have heard every arguement pro & con about vegatarianism.

Best reguards
 Smile
Bring back the Concorde

teahan

Sat May 05, 2001 10:12 am

Hey Superfly,

You definitely did not offend me, it is just that everytime someone brings up vegetarianism, it turns into this big fight in one belief trying to convert the other belief. A perfect example was on a chat show on Irish TV tonight.

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Superfly

Teahan

Sat May 05, 2001 10:22 am

Oh I understand!

There would be no need for me to try to convert you to eating meat.
Now if it's a girl I am dating, she better eat meat! Big grin

A lot reasons why people here don't eat meat is for political reasons. I can understand why you'd cut meat out all together with the whole 'Mad Cow' scare.

There is a filthy town in central California named Colinga. That place has more cows than people. For several miles cows are crammed together, forced to eat fast so they can grow fast and be taken off to the slaughter house. It is so disgusting to pass this place up. It smells really bad!
I've considered giving up meat when I pass this place up.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER

Sat May 05, 2001 10:22 am

You missed steak! What kind of a person dosent miss stake and hamburgers and pepperoni pizza!

Bove

Sun May 06, 2001 6:52 am

Hey Teahan,

Are you aware that common ingredients in those little white pills in your medicine cabinet include things such as horse urine?

blink182

Sun May 06, 2001 7:12 am

Dude, its McDonalds, what can you expect?? Smile I for one try to avoid mcdonalds now.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Ikarus

Sun May 06, 2001 7:17 am

McDonalds Fries contain Beef extracts? What the f***?

I have been avoiding all beef for 6 or 7 painful years now (it used to be my favourite meat) for fear of BSE, and now this? I have half a mind to sue them.....

If only I could afford the lawyer  Big grin

I'm pissed off now. So what does Burger King do? Their fries are even better (and their vegetarian meals are actually edible, unlike McD's)? What about KFC?

Regards

Ikarus

Dropkick

Sun May 06, 2001 7:32 am

About 40% of the students in my school are vegetarians (I'm not one of them), and everyone of them really hate McDonalds. Most of them are hippies. The city is known in Sweden as the "vegetarian city".

USAirways737

Sun May 06, 2001 8:07 am

Why would anyone care about an extract being used? Its not like the fries were made out of blobs of hamburger meat. Anyone that complains about eating a micro-gram of animal extract obviously has nothing better to do. Whats the point of not eating meat anyway, animals are on this earth for a reason, to eat and enjoy.

Sun May 06, 2001 8:47 am

>A natural flavouring could be a natural beef extract.

Exactly. There is a lawsuit gaining much attention in Seattle right now... some vegetarians are suing McDonalds for using beef extract in their fries.

Give me a break.

teahan

Sun May 06, 2001 8:57 am

Hey,

Well I definitely care. I choose not to eat meat in any form and that is it. You can be damn sure it is more than a micro-gram of it and even if it was, micro-gram or no micro-gram it is still meat.

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Sun May 06, 2001 11:33 am

I think vegetarian people have a serious problem. All primates are ominvors! Open your mouth and look at your teeth. See those pointed ones?.......well they are designed for tearing and slicing meat. If you were designed to eat only veggies you would have a stomach that was divided into 3 parts like a cows is. I think you need to stop fooling yourself into thinking there's something wrong with eating eggs and meat because there isin't. Enjoy their great flavour and nutritional value while you still can.

Superfly

Sun May 06, 2001 11:43 am

Hey FP_v2, that just leaves more meat for us meat eaters!  Laugh out loud

It's just ironic that when ever I host a barbeque, suddenly all the veggies I know has exceptions to there rules!  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

AerLingus

Sun May 06, 2001 2:03 pm

There is no way to be vegetarian.
Medicines, important additives; they all have animal bi-products.
If they sue McDonalds, they might as well sue the pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, and all other organisations that produce or approve of products that don't say 'THIS HAS ANIMAL PRODUCT' clearly printed on the label.

Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Twotterwrench

Sun May 06, 2001 2:49 pm

I recently joined PETA.. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. Vegetarians scare the s*** out of me... just ain't natural. If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

teahan

Sun May 06, 2001 9:19 pm

Hey,

This is just the thing I didn't want this post to turn into! I mean, eating meat or not eating meat is people's own choice and can't you just accept that? 15% of the world's population are vegetarians and the number is growing fast.

Posted By FP_v2: I think vegetarian people have a serious problem

I rather think people who can't accept other people's beliefs and choices have a serious problem!

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

EGGD

Mon May 07, 2001 2:29 am

Teahan - Posted By FP_v2: I think vegetarian people have a serious problem

I rather think people who can't accept other people's beliefs and choices have a serious problem!

How can you not expect a comment like that? This topic was written by you about McDonalds having meat in their fries or whatever, were you expecting everyone to agree? If you hadn't of posted it he would have left you alone.

Anyway, back to the subject. Did you taste the beef extract? Exactly you didn't, There was next to nothing in there. You really can't live your life eating foods that have absolutely zilch meat bi-products or extracts. What are McDonalds to do? They try and deliver the best taste (not as good as BK!) at the cheapest price and as we all know they cannot please everyone all of the time.

Stick to eating Veggie Burgers and Cous Cous or whatever you like, its obvious that McDonalds are gonna have all sorts of shit in their food.

EGGD

teahan

Mon May 07, 2001 3:09 am

Hey EGDD,

My point is simple, if there is a meat product in it, be honest about it and tell people. I will then be able to make a conscious decision about wheter to eat it or not (and in my case that is obviosuly a no)

Mc Donalds sell a vegie meal which is a drink, a vegie burger and french fries. Is it fair that the product is wrongly advertised as a vegie meal when it contains a meat product?

Posted by EGDD: How can you not expect a comment like that? If you hadn't of posted it he would have left you alone.

This forum is to discuss issues, I posted this topic to discuss Mc Donalds and other companies falsely advertising vegetarian products and not to have a fight about vegetarian beliefs and non vegetarian beliefs!

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Mon May 07, 2001 9:14 am

Teahan,

I would'nt worry too much about the crackpot comments from the peanut gallery of airliners.net, they do it in every thread.

Your choice to be a vegetarian is your choice alone. I would like to see the knockers of vegetarians spend some time in an abottoir of some description and see what they say afterwards.

Personally, I try to have only one meal that contains meat, mainly because it is healthier for you. I avoid any meat that has been 'intensively farmed', so I don't eat pork in this country, beef and lamb is OK as just about all our cattle is grazing, not in feed lots. Also I only buy free range chicken and eggs.

The easiest way to avoid eating unwanted chemicals or animal by-products is to keep away from any processed food.

As for McDonalds, besides the fact their food is disgusting, completely manufactured and over processed, they should not advertise any of their meals as being vegetarian unless they are 100% so.

Everyone has seen the message on packets of chocolate etc "May contain traces of nuts...". There is a good reason why they do that.

However the next time anyone tucks into a Big Mac (eeewwww) let them conjure in their minds how that delighful carboard like 100% beef patty came to be sitting in the rest of that slush that comprises a burger.

Let them think of how disgusting a 'defrosted' McDonalds meat patty looks like, considering they liquify if allowed to defrost instead of thrown onto the grills still frozen.

And remember one more thing, it may be 100% beef, but which part of the cow?

Enjoy your lunch / dinner.

Cheers,

mb

EGGD

Mon May 07, 2001 9:25 am

Teahan - Although you did not imply your topic to be a debate about Vegetarian beliefs etc but you have to respect that people are going to come out with that kind of argument, its the same with Airbus.v.Boeing, most of the time the actual user who posted the topic did not mean to start the argument, it just happened.

As with the veggie burger meal, in their eyes i suppose it does not include meat, and i'll bet alot of people are not going to care what is in the fries regardless of whether they are vegetarian or not. It is really not right for them to advertise it as a Vegetarian meal but what other choice do they have? Just give you a burger? We all know that unless you only need a snack you go into a McDonalds and buy a Meal.

I do try not to offend people but i am VERY oppinionated so i am sorry if i did in any way.

Regards, EGGD

sr117

Mon May 07, 2001 10:01 am

I guess it's pretty hard to avoid being "tricked" into eating meat these days with highly processed foods, the only way to maintain such a strict vegetarian diet is by staying away from processed stuff. Of course... even fruits and vegetables are constituted with minerals and compounds wich probably one day were part of an animal. But I guess it's understandable that vegetarians will be pissed off about the issue.

But when I heard that McD's fries had meat flavoring, well, it gave me a craving for em ! and it did not go away till I had a large quantity of them... sure they're unhealthy, unnatural, an offense to fancy paletted individuals world wide, but I don't care. I ate them, I enjoyed them, and I'm still alive.

Matt D

Mon May 07, 2001 10:17 am

Let me just interject my $.02 here.
First of all, I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to be a vegetarian. If they want to do that, so be it-SO LONG AS they don't give me any static about dining on filet mignon, cooked medium rare-still with the juice and blood dripping from it. I happen to think that beef (and chicken and pork as well) are mighty tasty. If i want to eat meat, that is my choice, and no one is in any position to tell me otherwise. The minute I start hearing about how "meat is murder" or how "savage" I am, then, stand by...all bets are off.

PETA- People for Eating Tasty Animals...

By the way, speaking of PETA....Rush Limbaugh once did a great bit on his TV show several years ago. A group of PETA activists were protesting the raising of turkeys for Thanksgiving. He responded to it by passing out roast turkey....stuffed in pita bread. (see the play on the name here?)

I was laughing my @$$ off.

Love that Big grin

But you vegetarians have been warned: if you aspire to be a true vegatarian, and not ingest any meat or meat by-products at all, your diet is going to be pretty much limited to fruits and vegetables only. It's going to get bland after awhile.

But if you make that lifestyle choice, more power to you.

Just don't hassle me about my likewise free choice to eat meat.

Now I think I'll run to my nearest In-N-Out for a juicy Double-Double.

I Like To Fly

Mon May 07, 2001 10:53 am

Perfectly said Matt! Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I would also like to hear what Teahan has to say about AerLingus' post. I bet Teahan does not realize those little white pills contain animal byproducts. And I am sure many other everyday products do also. I can understand if you don't want to eat a slab of beef, but to complain how Mcdonalds put one microgram in their fries is just dumb. Remember if you get a headache to find a thick frozen piece of meat to put on your head because you sure as hell can't touch an asprin.

N400QX

Mon May 07, 2001 12:09 pm

Oooo... did someone say filet mignon?

Damn... my mouth is watering at the prospect of a juicy perfectly prepared medium-rare filet mignon (or maybe New York steak) with garlic mashed potatos at Seattle's Metropolitan Grill. I like it the same way- the juice and blood still dripping! mmmmmhmmm.

Beef all the way!

IndianGuy

Mon May 07, 2001 5:14 pm

I'd like to ask a question to all my veggie and animal rights activist friends out there: Is there really anything called 100% vegetarian?

I personally dont think so. All foods do contain some amount of animal extracts in some form or the other. Cosmetics for eg. do use animal extracts. One just has to accept it.

I dont think that vandalizing McDonald's offices and restaurants (as is happening here in India since that news broke out) is correct.

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:20 pm

Funny how this turned into a veggie-bashing thread....

Anyway: Isn't the real problem that all food is processed? That there is hardly anything you can buy that hasn't been treated unnaturally? Why should I want bread made from wheat that was treated with penicilline against infections? To make the bacteria in my body immune? Why should I want to eat beef made from cows that were forced to live a carnivorous lifestyle, eating sheep's brains and bones and skins (processed to flour)? To catch BSE? Why should I want to eat any product containing weird artificial colours? To get an allergy (I have an allergy against some red food colour, but I do not know which one)? Why should I want to eat meat of animals treated with human growth hormones? To grow fat myself? Why should I want to eat soft ice cream made from 70% chicken fat? To puke in disgust? Why should I want to eat chicken fed with raw oil, or drink wine that is mixed with dissolving agents? To die of stomach aches?

I eat processed foods anyway, as do most people. I try to avoid anything containing beef or gelatine, because of BSE. And it pisses me off to hear that all the time I have denied myself the pleasure of Beef steaks, the turkey sausages I ate contained "Natural flavourings" which turned out to be "powdered beef", or that the french fries I ate at McD's contain beef extract. I don't have the money or the patience to switch to organic foods (I believe most of them are a scam to make money anyway, without being really "organic" at all), and basically, as normal consumer, there is hardly a choice - except cook anything yourself, which I don't have the time (or skill) to do....

Regards

Ikarus

PS: What are the criteria for a product to receive the vegetarian seal? I know in England, the McDonalds veggie meal (disgusting as it is) has that seal, as has Burger King's Veggi Whopper (quite good, actually), but not BK's Spicy Bean Burger. So what are the criteria? Wouldn't having beef extracts in the fries disqualify them from receiving that seal? Wouldn't that make them liable to be sued?

Bove

Mon May 07, 2001 5:26 pm

Altoids mints supposedly made in the UK contain beef gelatine as do most other breath mints.

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:31 pm

Well, I don't eat anything with "gelatine" on the ingredients list, either....

Regards

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:36 pm

Everybody is complaining nowadays.

Let it be the vegetarians, meat-lovers(like myslef) or others.

I don't want to know what is inside what you eat.

BUT IT IS OUR OWN FAULT !

We expect to have our food which we buy in the market to look fresh and good.

Don't we just love the smell of nice strawberries in thesupermarket ?

Don't the pigs grow much faster with addetives ?

We've been cheated and consuming all kinds of foodstuff over the last years - most of us are still alive.

What the Heck, if Mc Do really promotes 100% meatfree foodstuff - sue them (but be sure to sue them in the US)

Tue May 08, 2001 2:51 am

You can run but you can't hide!
Meat is everywhere!

So eat that liberals!

teahan

Tue May 08, 2001 3:18 am

Hey,

Mx5_boy, thanks a million for that post. At least you accepted my choice!

I Like To Fly wrote: I would also like to hear what Teahan has to say about AerLingus' post. I bet Teahan does not realize those little white pills contain animal byproducts. And I am sure many other everyday products do also. I can understand if you don't want to eat a slab of beef, but to complain how Mcdonalds put one microgram in their fries is just dumb. Remember if you get a headache to find a thick frozen piece of meat to put on your head because you sure as hell can't touch an asprin.

I definitely realise what is in medication. I really don't fall sick often. If I am sick and do need medicine, I ask the doctor if I could possibly have some that has the least potential to have animal products. At the end of the day, if I don't have a choice, well I just don't have one. The point of vegetarianism is to avoid meat when you do have a choice!

Indianguy wrote: I personally dont think so. All foods do contain some amount of animal extracts in some form or the other. Cosmetics for eg. do use animal extracts. One just has to accept it.

All foods DO NOT contain some amount of animal extract! Remember, I do eat milk products but not meat/fish/eggs etc....

Ikarus, thanks a million for that great post. I definitely agree with all the points you made!

Bove, like Ikarus I don't eat products with Gelatine! IIRC polo mints don't contain Gelatine.

Hairyass, just don't bother the next time!

Thanks for all your replies!

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

Tue May 08, 2001 4:04 am

Well, if you're vegetarian... I don't understand why you would even go to McDonalds. Like the beef there is 100% lean fat meat anyway. I've tried it once and didn't like it. Never understood American fast food. Yuck! On the menu and commercials it always looks go but when you get it and open that little box it's pretty frightening.
Being the Argentino that I am, it would be hard for to be a vegetarian. But like somebody said "What do you expect it's McDonalds!"

Peter Hans

Tue May 08, 2001 4:11 am

My mistake...I meant "it always looks good".... sorry  Smile

PH

Matt D

Tue May 08, 2001 9:34 am

N400QX:

You are hereby invited over to my house next time you are in the LA area.

I will barbecue those filets and prepare some side dishes that you will need a mop to wide up the drool with!!

I am the master of beef!!!!

AC320

Tue May 08, 2001 10:29 am

For all those who are pissed about discovering meat traces in McDonald's french fries:

"However, in the U.S., a beef flavouring is added in the par-frying process - the partial pre-cooking done at the plant before the fries are shipped out to restaurants. "I'm told it's like a beef bouillon," he said.

McDonald's in the U.S. switched its cooking process following public concerns about high cholesterol, Riker explained. Before 1990, it used a mixture of beef fat and vegetable oil, but then switched to pure vegetable oil, he said.

There was no attempt to deceive vegetarians, Riker said. "We have never made vegetarian claims about any of our products, including our french fries," he said.

Shaughnessy Kitz said McDonald's in Canada has always used a shortening made up of beef fat and vegetable oil to cook its fries, and customers can find this out by checking with McDonald's "food facts" pamphlet available in restaurants."

That was reported by the Montreal Gazette. So boohoo, you don't want to eat meat? Make sure you read the ingredients list. And since they have never made any vegetarian claims, no lawsuits for you.

I on the other hand, don't mind at all. Give me a nice sirloin steak cooked medium rare. Ohhhhhhh baby (but I do have a baked potato on the side  Smile )
fuddle duddle

OH-LGA

Tue May 08, 2001 11:25 am

OK Teahan,

You said earlier you were a complete vegan, now you say you are a lacto-vegetarian? I'm getting extremely confused here  Confused

I have no problem with anybody being vegetarian. If you wish to do so then go right ahead... less people in line at the In 'N Out  Smile Most vegetarians, when they make that choice, decide to stay away from processed foods as well because they have the potential to contain non-vegetarian by-products. While McDonald's does not have the right to sell the fries (but it's quite a silly argument if there's a drop of beef something or other in your french fries) as part of a Veggie Meal if they contain an animal by-product. There they are wrong. If they take it out, then it's fine, right?

Thought so.
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Tue May 08, 2001 12:12 pm

Teahan,

No probelms mate! You just be happy with yourself! Some of my favourite meals are vegitarian these days as just about all our good restaurants here offer vegitarian choices that are actually quite great.

Ikarus,

I forgot about all the problems with BSE you guys had, and now the scrapie thing. What can people expect when you feed ruminants (cattle) themselves back? I have read a lot about BSE and why this happened to cattle. Fortunately for us here in Oz, we don't have feed lots and just about all our cattle is grazing cattle. Only a very small amount is "grain fed" without the powderised remains of other cattle.

Things have been changing for some time with our chicken industry, battery hens are progressively being phased out and barn or free range hens are being substituted. This is in conjuction with RSPCA requests. The lagger in field is the pork industry, which is intensive and is under a lot of pressure to change their ways. So far there have not been major price increases in line with the added cost of keeping our animals reasonably happy.

Do you guys get Aussie beef or lamb? If so, you can eat it without the concerns of feedlots or BSE. So far no genetically modified food has been alowed here either, even though the government was pushing for it. A consumer organisation ruled that if any GMF food were introduced here it had to be labelled clearly on the product. That put a stop to manufacturers even trialing it as they know that Aussie consumers are dead against GMF regardless of whether they are patently safe or not.

Cheers,

mb

An-225

Tue May 08, 2001 12:45 pm

Yet another dumb comment from that nasty Hairyass. Get a life, pidor!
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

teahan

Wed May 09, 2001 2:13 am

Hey OH-LGA,

Please find a post where I said I was a complete vegan?

I eat milk products but no meat, no fish no eggs etc...

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan

L-188

Wed May 09, 2001 2:34 am

We had a Veggie art teacher way back when I was in high school. Anyway he was kind of a nut with wasn't related to being a vegetarian.

Anyway one day one of the kids asked him what he thought about he said that he didn't have any problem with it, as long as the person was willing to kill his/her own meat.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N400QX

Wed May 09, 2001 7:37 am

>I am the master of beef!!!!

I don't doubt that one bit... lol

FDXmech

Thu May 10, 2001 4:41 am

Maybe its the beef extract in your fries that subliminally ward off your cravings for a fatty pastrami sandwich.  Smile
You're only as good as your last departure.