The Universe

Mon May 07, 2001 12:36 pm

Ever thought of the universe (that's what we discovered up to now) at the size of a ping-pong ball.

That would mean, that the earth, the moon etc etc
would be all within this ping-pong ball, imagine you hold this ping-pong ball in your hand ... what do is beyond or around that ?

Isn't it feary ?

Isn't it a gigantic feeling ?

Amaze me with your brilliant imagination or your
good philosophic input.

NO SPACE-WAR crap please !

If you think, there are little green man with four eyes and six arms, then at least give us a ZIP-code ...

Pacific

RE: The Universe

Mon May 07, 2001 1:26 pm

Never thought of it that way but the universe is just so enourmous. It would take ages to walk from Washington DC to New York and yet that distance is just so insignificant. A truly amazing thing.

Pacific

SophieMaltese

Mon May 07, 2001 1:30 pm

That is pretty scary when you think about it. We are all pretty small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. And yes, there could be little green men (or purple or blue or whatever) who knows? If there is that much more than our universe there is bound to be some other life out there!

Mon May 07, 2001 1:35 pm

Wow, truly a scary thought / comparison you've made there !

I'm just a new member of a.net, and just hit that topic right away.

Well, the ping-pong could be in a golfball, the golfball in a tennis ball, the tennis ball in a basket ball etc etc .

I'm not so afraid what is "out there" ... I am more afraid of what we think we could actually DO out there.

Our home is earth.

If there is a another planet with living beings, whatever they look like, I don't mind ... if they see us here they might think we're scary too ... who knows.

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:05 pm

Around the universe: Nothingness.

The only way I manage to imagine it is like this: When the big bang occurred, there was a tiny ping-pong ball of matter / materia. Around it, there is nothing. So as it explodes (an exotherm reaction), it expands and also creates light. Now, the light progresses and suddenly, much of the geometry where there was nothing has at least one measurable quantity in it: light. Something. So that's how I imagine the borders of the universe: My definition is: the universe is the sum of all locations where light can be observed/measured.

But I know it's not scientific and just sort of my personal imagination of the universe. I don't think the human mind has the capacity to understand it - no matter how close we believe to be. Which is why we build ridiculous belief structures (i.e. religions) around it, to explain stuff that is just beyond our dimensionally limited brains (we can imagine 2 dimensions, and find 3 dimensions difficult. So how do we imagine the XX dimensions that our universe possesses?)....

Just my $0.02 worth....

Regards

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:15 pm

Appreciate to finally read again something from you, Ikarus.

Have a good day & thanks for sharing your scientific view on that topic !

Marian

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:24 pm

It's actually quite unscientific. Just the way I imagine things...

anyway: I try to avoid airliners.net while preparing for exams... it's too addictive.
Today should really be the last day I post stuff until mid-June - otherwise I'll get into trouble...  Big grin

Regards

Ikarus

Good Luck!

Mon May 07, 2001 5:26 pm

Well, I wish you good luck for your exams !!!!

TOI TOI TOI

Marian S.

desertjets

Mon May 07, 2001 5:31 pm

I think the late Carl Sagan put it best...
"billions and billions of stars in billions and billions of galaxies"

And that is probably an understatement too. Once you try to wrap your mind around, even local distances in our neighborhood, the galaxy it is painful. The nearest stars to Earth are 6-10 ly away. Even if we could travel at the speed of light a round trip would take the better part of a generation to pull off. Our own galaxy is around 100,000 ly across. Within our local cluster of galaxies it is millions of ly to Andromeda. And there are billions and billions more. Lets not even get into speculation about extra-terrestrial life. As a people we've managed only in the past 150 years or so to make it quick and feasible to travel about our own planet. It is mind-boogling.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Bove

Mon May 07, 2001 5:40 pm

Ikarus,

Flying a bit close to the sun then are we?

Couldn't resist  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ikarus

Mon May 07, 2001 5:49 pm

Marian Siegbert: Thanks

Bove: You mean my view on the universe (crazy) or my studying for exams (late&lazy)?

Regards

Ikarus

Bove

Mon May 07, 2001 6:02 pm

Ikarus:

I was referring to both of those things actually plus a bit of a tease on your username (the ancient Greek myth about Daedalus and Icarus)