Matt D
Topic Author

Updated Voting Machines: Needed?

Wed May 09, 2001 7:59 am

With all this talk about "outdated" voting machines, butterfly ballots, chads, and so on, what I want to know is:

Why do we need to replace them?

True, we have been using that "outdated" technology for many decades now, but the thing that escapes me is: why is this a problem now? Until the 2000 election, those systems, albeit old, worked well. There didn't seem to be any confusion. If this 'outdated' technology was as unreliable as the Gore camp would have us believe, why wasn't something done about them 30 years ago?

If there is a true bona fide and genuine need for all this new technology, then that screams to me that, as a society, we are dumb as bricks now; our intelligence and common sense level has sunk like a stone. If a simple punch card was used without any problems for the last 5 decades or so, and all of a sudden now, they are "obsolete", that is only a symptom of a much deeper problem-namely voter incomtetence and a lack of common sense, which can probably ultimately be traced back to our educational system and overly generous immigration policies as well.

So is this "new" technology (i.e. touchscreen ballots) really necessary, or is it just "new for the sake of new" (perhaps with a little plain brown paper bag help from the companies that make the machines), as a kneejerk reaction to the 2000 disaster?

EGGD

RE: Updated Voting Machines: Needed?

Wed May 09, 2001 8:09 am

Talking about voting systems, The one on this forum should be changed because people aren't rating posts, and some rate posts bad for no apparent reason.

I think it should be more based on Replys per Views, Topics with the most replys often get low ratings and if this was implemented (i think you should still be able to vote but with this too) we'd get a better idea of what is a good post and what is not.

As to the topic, I wouldn't go as far to say Touchscreen ballots but certainly not using the system from 2000. My advice is simply use the good old pen and paper, mark who you want on the paper (works doesn't it?) instead of all this rubbish last year.

EGGD

JetService

Wed May 09, 2001 8:32 am

Indiana's is very simple and damn near foolproof. All electronic. You hit the button next to your votee and a little red light comes on next to them. If you change your mind, simplely hit the other guy (or gal) and the then their light comes on and other on off. Anyone can do it. Even Floridians.
"Shaddap you!"

AC320

Wed May 09, 2001 9:52 am

You should just do what we do in a Canada, take a pencil and fill in the oval of the guy you want to screw up the country for the next 4 years.
fuddle duddle

Transactoid

Wed May 09, 2001 10:45 am

How about a box for each candidate and a pile of pine cones. You drop a pine cone into the box of whoever you want to vote for.

The pine cone is either IN or OUT. No confusion whatsoever.

An-225

Wed May 09, 2001 11:52 am

We just need smarter voters.  Big thumbs up
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.