SEA Q For N400QX

Sat May 12, 2001 2:55 am

Hi There!

I seem to remember you mentioning that you live somewhere on the 34L/R final. My capt. was landing the other day and I was enjoying the view and noticed an interesting building. I looks like some sort of mansion real close to the water about 2 miles from the end of the runways. Almost due west of Highline Community College. Is the building a school? I saw that movie "Ten Thing I Hate About You" a few weeks ago which takes place in Seattle at a private school. . .was that the school??

Man, I sure love the sunshine here in the NW, don't you??

Thanks,
Chris

N400QX

RE: SEA Q For N400QX

Sat May 12, 2001 7:13 am

Hmmm... let me think about this one for a bit. I used to live right by the college, but moved a bit further south. I haven't seen the movie, but I see if I can remember what the building is.

Yeah- the weather is great!!! There isn't a cloud in the sky... just a bit of haze and a contrail here and there. We're hitting the 70s!!!  Big grin

N400QX

Sat May 12, 2001 7:31 am

Ohhh... I think I know what you are talking about, now. At first I thought you meant the Federal prison, but thats south of the golf course. There is a huge complex about 1 1/2 miles due west of the 34R threshold used for a police training facility. It has a big, tall theatre-looking building just east of a big parking lot which I think they use for driving training. I've never noticed it from the air because I am usually on the right side of the aircraft (providing an excellent view of my house).

I pretty sure this is what you're talking about.

N400QX

Sat May 12, 2001 11:17 am

And if you're interested... the correct name of the facility is the Criminal Justice Training Center.
I was out that way today looking for a spot to watch the arriving aircraft on the 34s- there isn't one decent place!!!  Sad

Mon May 14, 2001 4:29 am

Thanks! That sure looks like a nice training center if we're talking about the same building. This one is kind of reddish-orange with red tile roof.

Anyway, next time I'm landing on the 34s I'll see if I can see a good spotting place. The Community college looks like it would be a good place to sit and watch planes on final, but you probably wouldn't see them touch down. What about the hospital just east of the centerline 1 mile south?

Portland has a great place to watch airplanes on the north runway. There's a little parking area about halfway down the runway not more than 50 yards from the runway. I like going there. . when I can drag my wife to sit and watch airplanes. . .she thinks it BOORING! Oh well!

N400QX

Mon May 14, 2001 7:08 am

Well, the only place I could find on Friday was right beneath the final for 34L on a road next to the golf course. So all I got was a view of the bottom of the Brasilias and 737s. Oh well... I usually hang out at the City of Seattle water tank (north of the field, just east of the 16L extended centerline) when they're landing south- it gives a great view of the short final traffic and the touchdown.

Yeah, PDX has great places to watch- I haven't been down there in months. Boring?!? That's what my family says. What's wrong with these people?  Big grin