EGGD
Topic Author

Floor Collapses At Wedding Reception

Sat May 26, 2001 6:19 am

A dance floor in a reception hall collapsed, killing many and trapping more. I saw a home video of it on the news and it looked horrific. Everyone was dancing and then suddenly the floor opened up and took everyone else with it. All you could hear was the people screaming but you couldn't actually see down.

From what i have heard they fell through the second floor down onto the ground. Apparently the building was shoddy construction, and to make the dance floor bigger they took some supports which made it weak. A maintenance officer warned not to let the reception go ahead but the organizers ignored him.

My heart felt appologies to the familys of the ones who perished, and who survived.

EGGD

RE: Floor Collapses At Wedding Reception

Sat May 26, 2001 6:55 am

Did anyone catch the video? I saw it on the news and it was the most horrifying thing I have every seen. One minute you see 300 people dancing and the next thing you know, they disappear into a large hole. It was so scary to watch that. I saw it on the channel 9 news. My heart sank! God help those people.

Sat May 26, 2001 6:59 am

EGGD,

I apologize! You already mentioned the video in your post. I didnt' mean to repeat it. I read your post too fast. I am still upset over what I saw.

Brick

Sat May 26, 2001 7:01 am

I just caught the video off of CNN.com.

It's very disturbing to watch...

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

c72

Sat May 26, 2001 7:21 am

Very sad!!!! God's peace to those families!

VirginA340

Sat May 26, 2001 8:19 am

So far I heard 3 are dead and over 300 injured. i hope that there are no more dead. when I saw the pics I was surprised that no more had died.
"FUIMUS"

EGGD
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2001 8:58 am

All those screams, it really freaks me out. That must have been awful whoever was holding the camera.

CVG777

Sat May 26, 2001 10:30 am

Last I heard there were 24 dead and there are still 50 people missing in the rubble. Over 300 were injured.

That video was one of the the most horrifying things I have ever seen on the news. I was sitting in shock for about ten minutes just looking at the TV after that. I still can't get over it. God help those involved, and those that survived to get through this event.

JAL

Sat May 26, 2001 11:55 am

The video was one of the most horrifying things that I have ever seen.

My condolence to the victims families.
Work Hard But Play Harder

SJCguy

Sat May 26, 2001 4:05 pm

I was watching the news and that story came on tonight. They showed the footage of the floor open up. You could actually see the looks on the people having fun and a second later their faces are full of terror and they fall into a black hole, I guess it was 3 stories down to the basement the news caster said. I saw it again on the news and it makes me sick to watch it. Amazing what shit happens around this world...

SJCguy

Aussiemite

Sat May 26, 2001 7:11 pm

what do you expect from isrealy engineering though, remember that bridge that broke a few years ago at the jewish games?

should have had a german build them a bridge/dancefloor

shannon

Mon May 28, 2001 9:11 am

i just watched the video on cnn.com and it said 25 were dead and 250 were injured. That is terrible... Crying

777YYC

Mon May 28, 2001 12:23 pm

That video is probably the most scary and disturbing thing I have ever seen.
 Crying

CPDC10-30

Mon May 28, 2001 2:10 pm

I agree, the video was extremely shocking...you just never expect something like that to happen and just see hundreds of people dissapear.

VirginA340

Mon May 28, 2001 3:19 pm

I hope that those responsible for this will get the maximum. So far 7 have been arrested. The ownwer, The contractor that removed the pillar, The workers who did the dee as well. They should be charged with murder. They damn well know on what happens when you remove a foundation and then years later people fall through and get killed.
"FUIMUS"

Mon May 28, 2001 3:24 pm

Goodness it is scary.I saw the video. People are dancing,and then the floor collapses and they SCREAM!!

condolences

GUNDU

Mon May 28, 2001 10:01 pm

JEEZ!!! It looked HORRIBLE, imagine yourself dancing and the next thing you know is that you are lying on the ground waiting for an ambulance.

Condolences.

Alexander

B-707

Tue May 29, 2001 8:55 am

A very disturbing scene. What a tragedy!!!!!!

My condolences to all the victims and their families.

An-225

Tue May 29, 2001 11:17 am

I want to see the video, and my condolences go to the families.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

737doctor

Tue May 29, 2001 1:07 pm

Dateline did an update on the story tonight. It was the first time that I had seen the video. I was sitting there with the sound very low and when I saw the floor collapse, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was that shocking.

My prayers will be with all of the families involved.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

LoneStarMike

Tue May 29, 2001 3:01 pm

Not only was it scary to see all the people fall, it was also scary to see the reactions of some of the other people who were left on the 3rd floor on parts of the floor that didn't collapse. It was like they didn't know what to do. They'd run for the exits and then they'd run back and peer down into the hole looking for loved ones.

BTW, heard that the bride and groom both survived, alhough the bride will have to undergo surgery. I believe the news report said her hips were crushed.

LoneStarMike

Tue May 29, 2001 6:12 pm

I read these terrible news while in Paris for fun. It made me sick, I wasn't able to think to anything else. Even now it disturbs me all the time. I read this morning an article on a young couple who died in the tragedy; they were to get married on July 5.

Many of you prayed that God's help and God's peace be with the victims and their families.
Me too, but I have to say that sometimes I ask myself what kind of God we have, Who let happen that kind of hell to innocent people.
For sure He isn't so good and merciful.

737doctor

Tue May 29, 2001 7:04 pm

Toda,

I have to strongly disagree with what you said about God. He didn't force the construction company to use shoddy building methods nor did He intentionally place all of those people in there at the same time. He did allow it to happen, however, and that falls under the heading of "free will". God gives everyone a spirit of free will and they can choose to do good or bad, to accept Him or reject Him. By giving everyone free will, God allows a lot of sin to occur in this world, sin that will eventually be judged.

The important thing that must be remembered is that God can take a horrible situation like this and use it to accomplish a greater good. We don't know how the survivors or the families involved will react. But I know of many instances in my life and in the lives of others where something tragic happened which ended up causing something else good to happen.

Regards...

Wed May 30, 2001 5:36 pm

737doctor, what you say is beautiful, but for the ones who lost their lives nothing "good" can happen anymore. I am personnaly deeply shocked by this disaster, although I don't have any relations with these persons; I just can't imagine how the concerned persons will be able to overcome such a trauma and the loss of family members.
Now to your conception of "free will": what kind of free will did the participants to this wedding exercise when entering the "Versailles"??? Do you think the 23 victims "choosed to do bad and rejected Him" and were consequently punished?! All these people came to live a wonderful event, and instead of this they met the hell, the real inferno. And 23 of them never returned.
What is God's justice?? (here on earth...I'm not entering into a discussion on the beautiful life that awaits us afterwards, when the persons who "choosed to do the good" will be rewarded and the ones who made the wrong will finally be punished...)
All the best

737doctor

Thu May 31, 2001 1:34 am

No, I don't think he was punishing the 23 victims.

I think that you hit it on the head when you said "the beautiful life that awaits us afterwards, when the persons who "choosed to do the good" will be rewarded and the ones who made the wrong will finally be punished...)".

Regards...

Thu May 31, 2001 3:19 am

sorry not to have been clear enough:
I asked these "questions" in answer to what you have said.
I anyway don't believe in a Justice of God, and when I wrote about the "beautiful life that awaits us..." I just wanted to make a preemptive strike: as you spoke of the freedom of choice between doing the good or the bad and said that it would be "juged", I thought you would answer me that God's Justice will prevail after the death. This has been an easy explanation from religious authorities to justify all the sufferings in this world. But for me this is no explanation at all, and since I thought you would bring this subject in the discussion, I decided to "eliminate" it beforehand!
BTW I still don't understand your allusion to the freedom of choice bet. good and bad in relation with the victims of this sad and terrible event?!
All the best

737doctor

Thu May 31, 2001 4:09 am

Innocent people suffer because we live in a fallen world. I truly believe that the fact that those people were caught in such horrible circumstances has nothing to do with the kind of people they were.

You have to realize that when we have the choice to do good or bad, other people will suffer. Children are neglected and abused every day. Innocent people rot in prisons around the world. People contract incurable diseases and die slow, agonizing deaths. This happens because sin had been introduced into our world. God does not condone these things. It is just a by-product of having free will.

I think that we do tend to focus too much on what happens in this world. We should not be living for this world where our time is limited and instead we should be living for eternity...

Best regards.

lewis

Thu May 31, 2001 4:40 am

I saw it a few days ago! Quite auful, to have a funeral after a wedding. I hope that the people responsible for this tragedy (already arrested) will be severely punished.

Thu May 31, 2001 4:54 am

Yes, my heart goes out to the victims and of course the bride. Can you imagine how she feels? What was supposed to be the happiest day of her life turns into something that appears to be right out of Stephen King horror flick. Sad.

Fri Jun 01, 2001 12:20 am

So, according to 737doctor, if someone gets a pancreas cancer and dies within 6 months after terrible sufferings (and knowing he is condemned, what a horrific feeling!), this is a "SUB-PRODUCT OF HAVING FREE WILL". Really, here I can't follow you.

PS: The Rabbi who blessed the union at "Versailles" has given today THE explanation for the tragedy: all these persons (includind children and married couples...) died because men and women were dancing together and it constitutes a sin punishable by death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wonder how he has been able to spell such words. That's perhaps the reason why I feel less and less attracted by religion.

Fri Jun 01, 2001 12:32 am

That video was horrible. My condolences to the families of people who were hurt or killed in this accident.

Sad

737doctor

Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:16 am

I DEFINITELY do not agree with the Rabbi.

If you can't understand the concept of our "fallen world" and how we may possibly suffer as a result, all I can say is this:

In my life, the worst thing that ever happened to me, became the best thing that ever happened to me, SPIRITUALLY.

Regards  Smile

Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:47 am

And to make matters worse, someone stole their wedding money in the midst of all the ciaos. The people responsible will be brought to justice faster than they think. God bless this couple.